NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: identify7

Some issues including Exhibits, w517, Batter ups and others were made in different colors. I have not noticed a premium associated with the price for these cards due to the color variations, however, in some cases I know that the availability of specific colors is different than the availability of other colors.

Similarly, there are color variations in sets which do not appear to deliberately have been issued with color differences. These sets include OJs, T-206, Goudey and others.

Has there been any documentation of the population of each color within any set?

Old 05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: Julie

that all Old Judges were originally black and white--the way you see only a very few today, and that the colorarion--either the common sepia, pink, or other colors was due to aging. I have also been told (I think by David Rudd) that the pink ones were intentionally made pink, as an experiment with the public taste. I tend to disdagree with both of these statements. Who knows something definite about the Old Judge color variations?

Different shades of Old Judges--but I have no pinks, nor true black and whites.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: Myron

You probably read it in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. I know it says that in the description of Old Judges.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: warshawlaw

Is that cards that were for whatever reason shielded over the centuries (gulp!) from light and air are black and white images. The pink does exist and is very distinctive.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: identify7

I have bid (and lost) 30% higher for a card based solely on my perception of the infrequency of encountering an example with the color offered. Have any of you paid a premium for an unusually colored card?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: Chris Counts

I started the thread about the colors of Batter-Ups. I'm not sure I would pay a premium for a card based on color, but at least in the case of Batter-Ups, they legitimately appear to be scarcer. One reason I am interested in Batter-Ups is the low numbers are so affordable and they're full of HOFers. I've decided it's a bit late in the game to start collecting Turkey Reds, which would be my first choice if money was no object.

I recently came across a blue tint Mungo and a red tint Frisch. I was amazed by how much more attractive the cards are than their black & white and sepia counterparts I had previously encountered. It certainly doesn't hurt that Mungo played on the Dodgers and Frisch on the Cardinals, so the tinted colors matched their team's colors.

The magenta, which seems to be more common than the other colors, has just the opposite effect for me. As far as I am concerned, ballplayers just don't look right in pink, or purple for that matter (sorry Diamondbacks).

Old 10-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: tbob

I have to disagree- the E94 purple backgrounds make those caramel cards among the best looking of any cards I have seen.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: Anonymous

I love those purple e-94's. are they really that much rarer than the other colors? who has some nice ones to sell me ? I would love to put a set of them together

(not my card)

...I also really like the all green set of e98's that Scott M has displayed on his site.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Default Color Rarity

Posted By: jay behrens

Pink OJ were deliberate. I remember seeing a picture of an OJ that was miscut and the small portion from the other card was pink. I seriously doubt that by some freak of nature, only the miscut portion turned pink. Besides, if pink was due to aging, we'd see old sepia cabinet photos that had turned pink and I can't recall seeing any cabinet photo of any type being pink.

Jay

I'm incompetent at being incontenent.