NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2021, 04:53 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Default Cross Registry

Could some entrepreneur who wanted to make some decent money with very low investment and risk set up a "hybrid" registry?

Set up a LLC, launch a website, come up with a "cross-grade" table that determines equivalent grades across TPGs, such as:

SGC 10 = BVG 10 = PSA 9
SGC 9 = BVG 9 = CSG 10 = PSA 8

And so on.... whatever comparative valuation makes sense.

Then, each card in a given set is given a relative value weight. For instance, common low numbers are 1, high numbers might be 5, HOFers 20-50, and super HOFers like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente and so on, even higher relative values. Make that table easily viewable on the website too. This is done for each individual set.

And then accept submissions where collectors can provide evidence of the graded cards in their set, that info can be loaded into a database, calculations can be run, and the set then given an overall score which can then be ranked against other sets in the registry.

Advantages to collectors:
1. Have your high-end set recognized in a public registry for a relatively small fee.
2. Do so without being 100% tied to PSA
3. Be able to have your registry cards graded by one or several recognized grading companies - don't have to all be PSA graded cards.
4. Point 3 means, no need to cross over cards graded by BVG and SGC.

Advantage to the guy who establishes such a registry:
1. Put a little thought into it, set up the website and database, do some basic advertising - starting here - and sit back and watch the cash roll in.
2. Never have to grade a card or get caught up in grading./altered/counterfeit issues because your service makes no guarantees or judgement calls in that regard - if a card has been graded by a TPG, then as far as your registry goes, that's the grade, period.
3. Enjoy the satisfaction and undying love from the collecting community for freeing everyone from the clutches of PSAs exclusive registry.
4. Point 3 means, free ticket into heaven, eventually.

Last edited by Mark17; 03-03-2021 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:51 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Cross Registry

I had almost the exact same idea, except why wouldn’t SGC, BGS, HGA and/or CSG do it?

The PSA registry is what really sets them apart from everyone else.

However, I guess they would have to admit that an SGC 10 = PSA 9 and that will never happen.

Great idea. I guess it would need to be an outside party as you noted.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:02 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I've had the idea in my head for a long time

Really best executed by one of the existing grading companies and a 10 is a 10 is a 10.

I am perplexed that one of them hasn't realized the primary reason PSA is the market leader is solely due to the registry (imho).

I have more amazing ideas as to how one of the existing grading companies could actually use this to significantly enhance their own business.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think it's a great idea. Does psa allow, but just for tracking not competition, add raw or other graders?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Really best executed by one of the existing grading companies and a 10 is a 10 is a 10.

I am perplexed that one of them hasn't realized the primary reason PSA is the market leader is solely due to the registry (imho).

I have more amazing ideas as to how one of the existing grading companies could actually use this to significantly enhance their own business.
And then all the cards in a given set would need to be crossed over to that specific TPG, and THEY would thus have the collector by the kahunas.

I'm pro-collector and would love to see a bunch of guys on this site, with someone like Leon in the lead, launch a TPG-independent registry, with the collector in mind - not just another method for a TPG to grab a stranglehold and additional revenue stream.

If some guys from this site banded together, formed an LLC, launched a new, multi-TPG graded registry, it would exist as a free-floating (i.e. independent) entity from the TPG companies. There would be a symbionic relationship with net54 of course, to the benefit of all, with this site promoting the registry and the registry promoting this site, and advertisers on both benefiting similarly.

When you suggest another registry owned by a different TPG company, you're suggesting the collecting community bow down to another dominating master.

I'm suggesting liberation from that paradigm.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

To work well, it would probably require access to each included companies database. I can't imagine PSA allowing it since a big piece of what keeps them at the top is the prices driven by the registry.

Many databases are probably either unavailable, or no longer exist. GAI? Plus how many other defunct companies.

The idea is a really good one, but I'm not seeing it operating easily like a grading companies own registry.

Rather than make a straight grade translation what I think would work better would be weighting the grade based on both the card and the grading company, with a little flexibility for stuff the company would have most likely gotten right.

Like my Delong graded by Acu-Card. It says it's a 7, but it's trimmed. My impression of Acu-Card is that they could get the authenticity right, but couldn't tell about alterations. So I might weight all Acu-Card grades at the bottom while giving PSA, SGC Beckett etc the top of the weighting scale.

A way to track cards known to be altered or clear mistakes would be good too. Like all the stuff outed as trimmed on blowout being automatically considered an "A" and noted as such.

A good feature would be including ungraded cards as well.

Lots of work to make it a real working thing, and I'm not really seeing how to even make it pay for itself unless you get enough traction to charge grading companies a fee to integrate their database. And that brings up a bunch of conflict questions, like a new sketchy grading company paying for inclusion to buy some legitimacy.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:38 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
To work well, it would probably require access to each included companies database. I can't imagine PSA allowing it since a big piece of what keeps them at the top is the prices driven by the registry.

Many databases are probably either unavailable, or no longer exist. GAI? Plus how many other defunct companies.

The idea is a really good one, but I'm not seeing it operating easily like a grading companies own registry.

Rather than make a straight grade translation what I think would work better would be weighting the grade based on both the card and the grading company, with a little flexibility for stuff the company would have most likely gotten right.

Like my Delong graded by Acu-Card. It says it's a 7, but it's trimmed. My impression of Acu-Card is that they could get the authenticity right, but couldn't tell about alterations. So I might weight all Acu-Card grades at the bottom while giving PSA, SGC Beckett etc the top of the weighting scale.

A way to track cards known to be altered or clear mistakes would be good too. Like all the stuff outed as trimmed on blowout being automatically considered an "A" and noted as such.

A good feature would be including ungraded cards as well.

Lots of work to make it a real working thing, and I'm not really seeing how to even make it pay for itself unless you get enough traction to charge grading companies a fee to integrate their database. And that brings up a bunch of conflict questions, like a new sketchy grading company paying for inclusion to buy some legitimacy.
I wasn't thinking about population reports, because in my opinion they are highly problematic, considering all the cards cracked out for resubmitting, and cards cracked out because collectors prefer them that way.

I'm talking about collectors who have completed sets and want to have their accomplishment recognized and compared to other similar completed sets. So they pay some fee, submit proof of the cards they own (maybe something simple like video of their cards on top of a current dated newspaper,) and then their cards are entered into the registry database for that set.

So, you wouldn't need any data from any TPG company - the only data you'd be dealing with would be what was voluntarily submitted by collectors who wished to have their cards and set recorded in the registry.

Yes, minds better than mine would need to figure out the weighted formulas to standardize grades of the different TPG companies, whether some TPG companies are even reliable enough to include, and weighing how much more the Mantle counts vs. a common... stuff like that would all need to be decided.

As to cost and profitability, look at it this way. Suppose someone has a set that is 90% graded PSA, but the rest are BVG or SGC, including a few high dollar cards. Currently, if this guy wants his set in the PSA registry he has to get all those non-PSA cards re-graded.

1. How much will that cost?
2. Will those cards cross at the same grade or be assigned lower grades?
3. How long will the wait time be?

That adds up to a ton of money, time, and some risk. With the Cross Registry, no re-grading is necessary, unless they are in slabs of unreliable TPG, in which case they can be re-submitted to any legit TPG for grading.

A new LLC setting up such a registry could charge a few hundred dollars to register a set and still save the collector thousands. After awhile, with general acceptance, AHs would be listing complete sets with references such as being #12 on the Net54 Cross Registry (or whatever it's called.)

It would involve some work no doubt, but the benefits would be huge, and zero cooperation or data would be required or even wanted from any TPG or anyone else, besides the collectors who chose to pay the fee and register their sets.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Companies included would need to be vetted

I would think PSA, SGC and Becket are in for sure, other companies would need to be vetted.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Dan Studebaker

It's coming on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
A new LLC setting up such a registry could charge a few hundred dollars to register a set and still save the collector thousands.
I am afraid that you severely overestimate the propensity for collectors to spend money on anything besides cards.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:10 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
It's coming on Monday.

I am afraid that you severely overestimate the propensity for collectors to spend money on anything besides cards.
Is that why grading companies are backlogged for months, especially PSA (with their precious registry?) If people will stand in line for months to collectively pay hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of dollars to grade their cards, the high-rollers who complete quality sets will pay a few hundred to have that set, in its entirety, graded.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:28 AM
Dan Paradis

Default $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
It's coming on Monday.

I spend a lot of $ on binders, display cases, etc. etc. I believe many collectors, especially high-end (not saying I'm one of them) will spend $ to show off their collection.

I have recently managed the development of three apps. I have 40+ years of software development background. I would be interested in participating in such a venture. How could SGC, BGS, etc. not be interested in investing a little $ to make this happen? If can only help them.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Bobby Binder

This is something we have thought about doing at VCP...we cover all the TPG's and think it is something that could easily be implemented...
Old 03-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
This is something we have thought about doing at VCP...we cover all the TPG's and think it is something that could easily be implemented...
I would agree that capturing the data would be easy based on your experience at VCP. However, doing a nice job with the User Interface and many other features that the PSA registry has is months of work. My WAG would be at least 4-6 months to do the design, app and web interface.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

I really like the idea of a fresh registry.
Always thought that because of all the cracking out and resub, cards that don't make it into a new case because of minimum grade or other issues etc. mean that populations don't really reflect accurate numbers or where that card currently resides in whose TPG holder.

My thinking previously had been that TPG companies should simply wipe the registries clean and force anyone who wants to have their cards recognized to submit anew, with some sort of date stamp included.
I realize this would crash the internet, but places like Photobucket manage to allow end users to upload significant numbers of images to their platform and maintain them there.
Probably take too much human labor to enter stuff accurately if each submission needed verifying, but if it could be automated so that the software platform could read the bar codes of the grading labels, perhaps it might work..?

I'm personally not a fan of some sort of 'weighted' scale attributed to cards from various TPG's for collectors to base their value on.
That's the issue to start with.
The cards inside the holders often don't 100% reflect their grade, whether because of eye appeal or how the TPG's weight their grades and allowances.
Personally, I think most BGS9.5s are EVERY bit as good condition as PSA 10's and in many cases better because of PSA centering allowances.
So while PSA 10's bring better numbers, I want to buy the better card.
And on no planet should a PSA9 ever make BGS9.5/10 money or be considered equal condition cards.
So ultimately this concept you're suggesting is a registry and opinion on flip comparisons, not the cards themselves.

Anyway, love the general idea though of a third party registry!

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-03-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I would agree that capturing the data would be easy based on your experience at VCP. However, doing a nice job with the User Interface and many other features that the PSA registry has is months of work. My WAG would be at least 4-6 months to do the design, app and web interface.
At least. It would be a lot of time and money to do well. But I'm absolutely on board with a VCP registry! I have no use for ranking or ratings, but an online card display like the registry provides that would allow any and all holders (maybe ungraded as well) would be great.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson

Last edited by chadeast; 03-03-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I think it's a great idea. Does psa allow, but just for tracking not competition, add raw or other graders?
Yes, you can add cards to your account that are in other holders or raw, in order to keep track of what you have.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I would assess it this way, regarding any effort to whittle away PSA's registry 'hold'...

If an elephant sees the grass moving, he will stomp it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I would assess it this way, regarding any effort to whittle away PSA's registry 'hold'...

If an elephant sees the grass moving, he will stomp it.
Or buy it if it's successful enough.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Those are some interesting thoughts.
While I enjoyed my very minor participation in SGCs registry years ago, and yes, it felt weird to be interested in seeing my one or two cards added bringing me from like 70th to 65th, I hadn't considered anyone paying anything beyond the grading fees to use the registry.

I wouldn't be in at a few hundred a set, but I could see some people being into it that much. (I'm not even sure I'd be in at a few dollars a set, I'm cheap)

One thing I have learned being here, is that way more people than I would have ever imagined are obsessed with consistency, having the cards all be the same grade, in the same version of the same companies holder... Totally not me, I'm happy to just "finish" a set and have most of the nice cards in some sort of holder. Stuff is getting pricy enough I may have to buy a couple cases of penny sleeves for the P-F cards.

I wasn't thinking of pop reports either. Just that having some ability to automate by checking with the database like the serial number lookup feature does would prevent a ton of data entry costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I wasn't thinking about population reports, because in my opinion they are highly problematic, considering all the cards cracked out for resubmitting, and cards cracked out because collectors prefer them that way.

I'm talking about collectors who have completed sets and want to have their accomplishment recognized and compared to other similar completed sets. So they pay some fee, submit proof of the cards they own (maybe something simple like video of their cards on top of a current dated newspaper,) and then their cards are entered into the registry database for that set.

So, you wouldn't need any data from any TPG company - the only data you'd be dealing with would be what was voluntarily submitted by collectors who wished to have their cards and set recorded in the registry.

Yes, minds better than mine would need to figure out the weighted formulas to standardize grades of the different TPG companies, whether some TPG companies are even reliable enough to include, and weighing how much more the Mantle counts vs. a common... stuff like that would all need to be decided.

As to cost and profitability, look at it this way. Suppose someone has a set that is 90% graded PSA, but the rest are BVG or SGC, including a few high dollar cards. Currently, if this guy wants his set in the PSA registry he has to get all those non-PSA cards re-graded.

1. How much will that cost?
2. Will those cards cross at the same grade or be assigned lower grades?
3. How long will the wait time be?

That adds up to a ton of money, time, and some risk. With the Cross Registry, no re-grading is necessary, unless they are in slabs of unreliable TPG, in which case they can be re-submitted to any legit TPG for grading.

A new LLC setting up such a registry could charge a few hundred dollars to register a set and still save the collector thousands. After awhile, with general acceptance, AHs would be listing complete sets with references such as being #12 on the Net54 Cross Registry (or whatever it's called.)

It would involve some work no doubt, but the benefits would be huge, and zero cooperation or data would be required or even wanted from any TPG or anyone else, besides the collectors who chose to pay the fee and register their sets.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:48 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Those are some interesting thoughts.
While I enjoyed my very minor participation in SGCs registry years ago, and yes, it felt weird to be interested in seeing my one or two cards added bringing me from like 70th to 65th, I hadn't considered anyone paying anything beyond the grading fees to use the registry.

I wouldn't be in at a few hundred a set, but I could see some people being into it that much. (I'm not even sure I'd be in at a few dollars a set, I'm cheap)

One thing I have learned being here, is that way more people than I would have ever imagined are obsessed with consistency, having the cards all be the same grade, in the same version of the same companies holder... Totally not me, I'm happy to just "finish" a set and have most of the nice cards in some sort of holder. Stuff is getting pricy enough I may have to buy a couple cases of penny sleeves for the P-F cards.

I wasn't thinking of pop reports either. Just that having some ability to automate by checking with the database like the serial number lookup feature does would prevent a ton of data entry costs.
It's certainly true that the set registry isn't everybody's thing. But I've heard it said so many times that PSA's set registry is what gives them such a huge market advantage, that I figure there's a market for an independent registry that can be used for any legit TPG. A collector could still have cards from only one TPG if they want, but there would be the option to mix and match cards from different, reputable TPGs.

Here's how I envision it working, to illustrate the value to the collector:

Someone is working on a higher grade 1966 Topps set. It takes them a few years of buying the best, yet affordable, examples of each card. This means picking up nice cards regardless if PSA, SGC, or BVG. They are buying the card, not the holder, but they do want them slabbed with some assurance of authenticity. Finally their set is complete, and they want to "show it off," so to speak, and list it among other 1966 Topps sets to see just where it stands. Maybe with a few upgrades it can move up the ladder a few rungs.

So they go to the Registry site and it works like this:

1. They pay the fee (which covers the data entry costs, website development and hosting, plus some profit to the registry owners)
2. They submit proof of ownership of the cards in their set
3. They give their set a moniker for the registry. For example "Mas Takela."

4. Their cards are entered into the database. Fields included are:

Set (1966 Topps)
Name (Mas Takela)
Card_number (50)
Card_Name (Mickey Mantle)
TPG (BVG)
TPG_Grade (6)
TPG_Cert_Number

From a technical, data modeling perspective, several of the fields above, particularly the first 2, would use surrogate keys to reference another table. With further thought, more fields might also be useful.

Then the Registry sends an email to the collector, saying his set is now in the database, and his current ranking is #12 among 1966 Topps sets.

The collector has fun upgrading it here and there, moving up the ladder a bit, but having other sets upgrade past his, sort of like a slow-moving horse race, and one day he decides it's time to sell it. So he consigns to an AH.

Currently, when an AH sells a complete set, they list the grading details of the key cards, and then some general description of the other 500 cards in the set, like 50% PSA 6, 35% PSA 5, etc.

But with this new registry, the AH describes the key cards and then adds: This set is currently #12 on the Net54 Cross Registry, listed as Mas Takela.

Here's where the value comes in. Prospective bidders go to the Registry site, select 1966 Topps, look down the list to the 12th row where the Mas Takela entry is, click on that name, and a data dump of all the cards in this specific set display. They can see, for every card in the set, all the fields listed above - TPG, its TPG grade, and cert number.

So, let's say a prospective bidder already has a near complete, mint, run of high numbers, and he sees this set is weak in that area but strong everywhere else. This is a great upgrade opportunity for him. Or, like Steve says, lets suppose someone much prefers a particular TPG. They can see how many, and specifically which cards, are thus slabbed.

And then, when somebody wins the set at auction, they can compare each card's cert number to the Registry, to be assured they are receiving precisely the set they were bidding on, down to each common. Of course, the AH would do the same verification before listing it.

When someone wants to upgrade cards in their registry set, they aren't slaves to a specific TPG. If PSA has 8 month wait times and price increases, they can submit to a different TPG if they want. It's their choice to use the same TPG for all their cards, or not. It is, after all, their set.

An added outcome is that it increases competition among TPG in terms of their pricing and service (wait times) and that is good for the collector. If PSA has a monopoly on set registries, breaking that monopoly is good for collectors.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I have (and have had since 2018) what could be considered a "starting point" for this idea.

It is basically an excel spreadsheet on steroids for vintage cards of a specific year and a specific manufacturer.

It allows variable "weighting" based on the specific grading company (in relation to the others).

It is pre-populated with Players Names and Card Numbers (CheckList).

It records certification numbers and other information defining the individual card characteristics.

It compiles an overall summary of the entire set.

If any of you are interested in taking a "test drive" - I would be happy to give you a free download at SetBilder.com using PROMO CODE "Net54"

Note that currently there are only Windows/Excel versions - Still trying to figure out how to port this to a MAC without running "parallels" or something of the sort.

What it still needs are:
  • the "hooks" into each TPG for Cert Verification
  • an overall calculation which indicates a single specific "score" for the entire set
  • a home on the web for the actual "registry" site

I have an idea on calculating a "Final Score" value but I would really be interested in talking to anyone with specific ideas on:
  • developing a MAC Version or even a web version where the OS platform would not matter
  • adding the hooks to the various TPG Cert Verification
  • developing a universal database in the Cloud for this "Ultimate Registry".
Old 03-04-2021, 09:03 AM
Howard Chasser

Default A part of the registry that doesn't get talked about much.....

is the subjective "weights" that are given to each card in a set. I know the Clemente master set really well and have gotten into some communication in the past about changing weights. What I was told at the time is that the weight is based on the value of each card in PSA 8 condition. In the first place, not every card is eve available in that condition, second many trade hands so rarely it is difficult to determine value of each card in that condition. Lastly - even trying to go by that - their weighting is way off - I suspect this is FAR from isolated to the Clemente master set.

So whoever was working this new cross registry would need to have/develop some type of relatively fair/equitable system for assigning weights to each card in a given set.

BTW while I do not have the technical expertise to do any actual development - I am happy to act in a role as beta tester and contribute ideas and help to make it happen and refine it.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I think a lot more thought has to be put into the 'weighting' of the various third party grading companies. Although conventional wisdom points to a disparity in the grading of cards between the 'Big 3' organizations, who is actually going to decide how that thought is going to be quantified? If it's believed an SGC 7 card only equates to a PSA 6, does that mean each and every SGC 7 would only count as a 6? You can't mathematically establish that as a fact without examining each and every card from both companies. (Just a side note, but there's a crapload of PSA cards out there that look quite inferior to the numbers on the slabs. Ran into one yesterday.)

Perhaps it's like the Coke and Pepsi conundrum. Although they are (I assume) the biggest selling colas in the world, some people simply refuse to drink one of those brands due to their own personal soft drink tastes. That doesn't make either Coke or Pepsi sub-par to ALL consumers, it's only a personal preference. That same thought should be applied to this project.

To be clear, I'm not trying to push anything here. 95% of the cards I buy are PSA graded, and I readily admit it's because of the potential 'value' when the day comes to sell them. That is the reality of the market. But with this new registry undertaking, you have to very seriously consider the fundamental principles that are the backbone of the proposed endeavor. To eliminate any type of monkey business, perhaps a PSA 6, SGC 6, and a BVG 6 should each be simply entered as a six in the registry. Again, if these grading companies are trusted by the collecting community (to various degrees, I'm sure), then they should be on a level playing field. Just think about how much potential BS that would avoid. (Of course, some steps would have to be taken regarding how one outfit issues qualifiers, while the others don't. That aspect is a little tricky, because a card graded by SGC or BVG that's crazily OC, would still have a straight grade.)

Lastly, perhaps you can have a tribunal (ha ha) to judge specific cards on someone's registry, if complaints are lodged.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Gary

How would submissions to the cross registry be verified? When you submit a card to PSA or SGC they register it then and can verify the details there an then.

How would a cross registry verify that my claim to have a specific card at a specific grade?
Old 03-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
How would submissions to the cross registry be verified? When you submit a card to PSA or SGC they register it then and can verify the details there an then.

How would a cross registry verify that my claim to have a specific card at a specific grade?
You'd have to upload a date stamped pic that included the Flip cert number, and that would need to be readable by the platform software to include with the other details you punch in.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
You'd have to upload a date stamped pic that included the Flip cert number, and that would need to be readable by the platform software to include with the other details you punch in.
Isn't that at risk of abuse? With so many counterfeit flips in the market, wouldn't this give them a way to legitimize the dodgy flips without scrutiny from any in person assessment?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Isn't that at risk of abuse? With so many counterfeit flips in the market, wouldn't this give them a way to legitimize the dodgy flips without scrutiny from any in person assessment?

....its IN the case with the card.

Everything is possible, one can dispute the truth of anything it seems, and if you don't want to believe something you can simply claim alternate facts.

This is the best I can think of, and is more than currently used to create registries.
Zero chance it could be done manually in-person.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-04-2021 at 07:56 PM.