NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Second Annual Midwest Sports Collectors Convention (Detroit Aug 20-22, 1971)

Picked this up a while back, finally got around to scanning it. A true blast from the past: Topps' black bordered cards were current, the US was still embroiled in Vietnam and Joe Torre was on his way to winning the NL MVP. And to really put it in perspective this was 42 years ago and 42 years prior to that the stock market was about to crash in 1929. Part 2 follows this due to image limitations on the forum. Enjoy!

Last edited by toppcat; 09-26-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Part 2

Last edited by toppcat; 09-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I see Bill Mastro in one of those photos. I wonder how he's doing now?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I see Bill Mastro in one of those photos.
Yeah, He looked sorta like "The Fonz".
Also, thought I saw a net54 Goudey collector mentioned on there. The old hobby publications are cool.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great stuff Dave. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Completely off topic, but

the use of the phrase "Midwest" always makes me chuckle, especially when Detroit is not in the mid of anything (north, south, east or west) and especially not west of anything, except maybe New York.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Thanks for sharing Dave, very cool stuff. Did they eventually move the location to the Plymouth Hilton or was that a different show that I remember?
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Not sure if this was the same show but it certainly seems possible it moved to the Hilton as noted. Also, is it possible was a gathering of Midwest collectors, or at least grew out of a Midwest group to make it seem like a regional show vs a local one? This show and the one before it really seem like the primordial version of the shows we know today (or used to know recently).
Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Mike Bodner

Thanks for sharing this! I do believe the Plymouth Hilton Shows were associated or a continuation of this. They were also called the Midwest Sports Collectors Convention and by the time I started attending around 1980. By then, I think the show was only run by Lloyd and Carol Toerpe.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Default This should would have been my first show...

Dave...

Thanks very much for sharing all this hobby memorabilia! The '71 Midwest Sports Collectors Convention was to be my first show. We pulled into Detroit a few hours early, checked the prices for remaining rooms at the host Downtown Hilton and, sadly, left for cheaper quarters with a thought to possibly returning later that evening or the next day. It was not to be. Once outside Metro Detroit, we decided to hit the road back to Seattle rather than make the 25-mile return trip. (Detroit was a planned stop on our return cross-country trip to native Maine.)

Fortunately, it was not a lifelong regret. Two years later I was able to attend that same show (relocated to the Troy Hilton, and later the Plymouth Hilton) and had a great time meeting a number of collectors I had known only by mail for up to ten years.

I'll enjoy looking over these old hobby pieces and get a better glimpse of what we missed 42 summers ago. Thanks again, Dave!

Steve Mitchell