NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Default W574 ...29 is an awful funny number

There are 29 cards catalogued in the W574 set, which has remained the same since who knows when times. Is the W574 considered a strip issue? I have noticed that many of the strip sets were issued in strips of 10. Even if it is not a strip issue, 29 is an irregular number of cards to have been machine cut from sheets. Anyone have any insight or theories about this? Was one of the cards double printed, and if so has it been noted that any card is more prevalent?

Just something I always wanted to ask of the board.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't know Brian but as we do know the W574s can come with some of the largest borders, and weirdest cuts, of any pre-war cards. I can't imagine the number 29 being the way any company would physically make and distribute a set. Personally I do think they were a strip set just from the characteristics I have seen on them.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Todd Schultz

Default good question

I've wondered that too, what with 29 being a prime number. I don't know enough about the set and don't follow it closely enough to guess which card might have been double printed. Maybe there was a card pulled from production and the space on the sheet/strip was left blank or was replaced with a header card of some kind?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Default Curious cards

Good theories Todd and Leon. It is interesting that not only do these cards only depict American Leaguers, but that representatives from two American League teams are completely absent: the Yankees and the Senators. Since the team distribution lines up like this:

White Sox - 9
Tigers - 5
Indians - 5
Browns - 5
Athletics - 3
Red Sox - 2

Perhaps the original issue was two strips of ten, including the Tigers, Indians and Browns, and perhaps 5 of the White Sox. Then another strip was added, with one holdover from the original group double-printed, and the Athletics and Red Sox and the rest of the White Sox.

Another thought. Who was the American League team in the World Series the year they were issued?

Brian
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Who was the American League team in the World Series the year they were issued?
In 1933, the New York Giants beat the Washington Senators in five games.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Brad Green

In case it matters (and it very well might), the Yankees played the Cubs in the 1932 World Series.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM

With the Midwestern teams having the greatest number of cards in ths set, and with the White Sox being represented the most (9), would it be plausible that this set was produced in Chicago?

Many of the pictures of players from other teams appear to have been taken in old Comiskey park as well, which might support this theory.

After looking at the 1933 home schedule for the White Sox, I noticed something peculiar too. Here is the order of visiting teams to Chicago, and dates (with their corresponding number of W574 cards in parentheses):

St. Louis Browns 4/19-21 (5)
Cleveland Indians 4/22-24 (5)
Detroit Tigers 4/26-27 (5)
Philadelphia Athletics 5/4 (3)
Boston Red Sox 5/7 (2)
New York Yankees 5/8-10 (0)
Washington Senators 5/13-14 (0)

Based on this information, do you think that it could be possible that these cards might have been given away at the ballpark as promotions?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default distribution?

In thinking more about this I am not so sure on the strip hypothesis and would respectfully open it back up to debate. My main reasoning was based on odd cuts and weird, big borders. But I haven't ever seen a strip of these (though one or some, could exist). On other strip cards, most series, we have seen strips. If they were issued as strips you would think we would see at least a few uncut ones? I guess we also need to look into how/why Burdick classified them the way he did.....Just thinkin' out loud.....
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Cameron Crafton

Maybe there is a long lost card #30 somewhere out there..........
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Default W574 team issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
With the Midwestern teams having the greatest number of cards in ths set, and with the White Sox being represented the most (9), would it be plausible that this set was produced in Chicago?

Many of the pictures of players from other teams appear to have been taken in old Comiskey park as well, which might support this theory.

After looking at the 1933 home schedule for the White Sox, I noticed something peculiar too. Here is the order of visiting teams to Chicago, and dates (with their corresponding number of W574 cards in parentheses):

Boston Red Sox 5/7 (2)

Based on this information, do you think that it could be possible that these cards might have been given away at the ballpark as promotions?

Tom...great research. I assumed that these were probably distributed in the Chicago area, but I had neglected to consider that these might be a ballpark giveaway. Are the dates you give for the first two homestands? Did the White Sox have away games on 5/5-5/6 and 5/8-5/9?

While you were checking that, I was checking the careers of the players depicted, and what I found dovetails nicely with your theory. There are four players in the set that were former members of the White Sox. They are:

Chalmer Cissell - Indians (traded from White Sox in April 1932)
Irving Hadley - Browns (traded from White Sox in April 1932)
Willie Kamm - Indians (was with the White Sox in 1931)
Carl Reynolds - Browns (was with the White Sox in 1931)

It might be natural to assume that these players were included because of their past association with the team, and if these were indeed distributed at the ballpark, it also makes sense why they were included, as these were probably passed out when their present team came into town (the Browns and Indians were the first two series that Tom listed for the season).

Also, 29 would not be an abnormal amount for the set if these were issued over time as a long term promotion...it is quite possible that the printing sheets had a single player or just a few. I think that Leon is correct in reassessing how they were produced. To me it seems less likely that they came in strip form.

Because of the team designations on the card and consulting the careers of the players, one can conclude that these were indeed most likely a 1933 issue, as there are several trades that occured in 1932 that on the cards are likewise updated to indicate the new team. Two of these traded players, Fred Marberry and Carl Reynolds, were both traded to the Tigers and Brown, respectively, on December 14th of 1932, and there cards correctly identify their 1933 team. The photos in general for these and other players are generally outdated (for example Jimmie Dykes is shown with an Athletics uniform, which he was traded from on 9/23/32, and Fred Marberry is shown with a Washington uniform). However, Al Simmons is shown with a White Sox uniform, even though he was traded to the team on 9/28/1932. I guess he was a big enough star for the producers to scramble to make sure that his photo depicted him clearly wearing his new team's uniform.

My guess is that this promotion either was supposed to include the later arriving Yankees and Senators, but something (printing issues, costs?) halted production, or that having a giveaway for the Yankees or Senators (who eventually made it to the World Series in 1933--thanks Brad) wasn't considered necessary.

Wow, it was fun coming up with all these theories...thanks again all, and especially Tom. Let us know what you think.

Brian
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default W574 vs W503

Nice thoughts Brian. I love discussing intricacies of the sets and cards themselves....I will even listen to myriad T206 theories but the oddball issues peak my interest more. This W574 series reminds me of the W503 series. Lew Lipset and some other old time collectors feel (I believe) that W503 were not strip cards either. Many feel they were candy cards. I am not aware of any strips of W503 being known, even though they too have the classification. I wonder if Mr.Burdick was just SWAG'ing it with these 2 obscure issues?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Default W503

Leon...the W503's are a great set, and in my opinion definitely not a strip issue, as the cards I have seen are all very uniform in size. If I remember correctly original finds of these have all been from the Bay area of California. The W574 are definitely cruder in design, but that does not necessarily indicate that they are strip cards.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-22-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: 7.5 years later and i just noticed I incorrectly identified W503 as W603...corrected!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=

Boston Red Sox 5/7 (2)

Based on this information, do you think that it could be possible that these cards might have been given away at the ballpark as promotions?[/QUOTE]

One other interesting bit of info is that the length of the series seems to dictate the amount of non-White Sox cards issued. The Browns, Indians and Tigers each had either 2 or 3 day series, and thus 5 cards that might have given away in each of the series, while the Athletics and Red Sox had single day visits, and thus only 2 or 3 cards were given out. Does anyone know if home dates of any of these series involved doubleheaders?

Brian
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'm not familiar with the set, but is it possible the coincidence of teams visiting and teams represented could be due to the photos' for the cards being taken during these series (as opposed to in advance so the cards could be distributed during these series)? Are there visiting players' photos that can be identified as not having been taken at Comiskey?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Uniform(s)

A good point DarwinB, and I am not familiar with the look of old Comiskey Park...however at least some of these cards (images of the entire set can be viewed on the Old Cardboard site) include photos from earlier in the player's career. For example, Fred Marberry, who was traded to the Tigers on 12/14/1932, is shown wearing the uniform of his previous team, the Senators. Carl Reynolds, who played with the White Sox in 1931, and another team (I didn't write it down) in 1932, is included in the set as a member of the Browns, but is wearing a White Sox uniform. As far as the White Sox players are concerned, Jimmie Dykes is shown wearing an Athletics uniform (he was traded from the A's to the White Sox late September of 1932). Al Simmons is the one player I could readily tell that had an 'updated' photo included, as he was traded to the White Sox on September 28th 1932 and is shown wearing a White Sox uniform.

Brian
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
One other interesting bit of info is that the length of the series seems to dictate the amount of non-White Sox cards issued. The Browns, Indians and Tigers each had either 2 or 3 day series, and thus 5 cards that might have given away in each of the series, while the Athletics and Red Sox had single day visits, and thus only 2 or 3 cards were given out. Does anyone know if home dates of any of these series involved doubleheaders?

Brian
Brian,

According to baseball-reference.com, the only doubleheader in that timeframe was on 5/7 when the Red Sox were in town. The Athletics only game in that timeframe was just prior to that on 5/4. I would guess that there were some rainouts involved during that week, thus causing those one day road trips.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Brad Green

If these cards were indeed given away at Chicago White Sox baseball games, it might be possible that advertisements indicating such were put into the Chicago newspapers in the days/weeks leading up to these ball games. I don't have time to search newspapers, but it might be interesting to see if the newspapers might reveal another clue.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:55 PM

Just randomly came across this old thread about the W574 set that I started almost 8 years ago which got some great input. Thought I would share it again, along with a sample of these blank backed cards.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w574fonseca694.jpg (76.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM
Bry@n

Thanks for bumping this thread. This conversation is new to me but I love to read the research threads. Hopefully someone will have something new to add.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Derek Granger

Here's Appling:

so that I can add a limited amount of help to the thread, and echoing Brian's note that the photos were taken earlier, here is the corresponding press photo of Appling taken in late 1930 during his rookie season. The American League Service Bureau photo back has a 1931 date that pre-dates any games played at Comiskey Park in 1931.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 03-23-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:44 PM

No updates, but happy to see that I could access a thread like this using the forum's Advanced Search feature. And a belated 'cool press photo of Appling' remark for Derek.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-11-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: and the edit feature works fine too
Old 07-11-2020, 06:22 PM

An interesting fact that I personally just discovered about the W574 set. All 29 cards feature full body length poses of the players, EXCEPT the card of Jimmy Dykes as seen below. And Harry Davis is the only card with a horizontal orientation (not my card)

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w574dykes 001.jpg (79.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg w574davishorizontal.jpg (32.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-11-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: might as well test uploading images that are pertinent to the thread topic