NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 PM
pete ullman

Not all rookie cards feel the same...thats fer sure! I've never owned a topps MAntle RC...I imagine it'd feel a little more special than most. Whereas I used to have the 51 bowman and it didn't really have that feel...I think partially because the berk ross has similar pose. Not unique like topps. Ryan/Koosman and Seaver rookies feel special to me...but most multi player cards do not.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:22 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Not all rookie cards feel the same...thats fer sure! I've never owned a topps MAntle RC...I imagine it'd feel a little more special than most. Whereas I used to have the 51 bowman and it didn't really have that feel...I think partially because the berk ross has similar pose. Not unique like topps. Ryan/Koosman and Seaver rookies feel special to me...but most multi player cards do not.
Interesting point about the Ryan and Seaver rookies. Over the years, I have been conflicted over both. While I still do not own either, I have recently added them to my want list. I see them as products of their era. They both scream 60s to me.

Regarding the '52 Mantle, I have accepted the fact that I will probably never own one, but that doesn't mean that I don't aspire to own one. I love its look. In fact, I love that entire set. However, with the exception of Jackie, I don't own one single card from that set. This may sound sappy, but I am a set builder who loves the look of '52 Topps, and it is just plain painful to me to own cards from that set with the knowledge that I will never be able to complete it.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:43 PM
Don

I too dislike rookie cards shared with other players. I also have hated that collared shirt on the 1958 Robinson. Not crazy about the 1963 Musial either. The weird facial expression does not reflect his personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 04:26 PM

I've never been a fan of the 1939 or 1940 playball sets
Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

1943 m p & co. R302-1 cards
Old 07-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I've never cared for Cracker Jacks.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 1939 or 1940 playball sets
The only card in either set which I care to own (from the BST). And definitely not a fan of the 1040 set..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams.jpg (78.9 KB, 251 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:32 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
38 DiMaggio and 63 Rose are two examples of popular cards that would fit my collection, but I have never been able to pull the trigger on either.

To anyone who mentioned the 52 Mantle I would just say you won't be disappointed if you decide to pick one up. Of any card I've purchased I was most excited for my first 52 Mantle. I don't know how else to describe it, but there is just something special about that card.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Mantle having a certain mystique that other cards - especially modern - completely lack (1950s and up).

It's surprising many on here are stating it's a card they don't care to own when it's value dictates that it's the hands-down most desirable of all post war cards, and arguably one of if not THE most venerated card in existence (Wagner aside). It's the type of item that transcends baseball card collecting and registers as a cultural icon befitting the greatest specimens of Americana.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:41 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the Mantle having a certain mystique that other cards - especially modern - completely lack (1950s and up).

It's surprising many on here are stating it's a card they don't care to own when it's value dictates that it's the hands-down most desirable of all post war cards, and arguably one of if not THE most venerated card in existence (Wagner aside). It's the type of item that transcends baseball card collecting and registers as a cultural icon befitting the greatest specimens of Americana.

I think it has to do with the lore of Mantle. You had an entire generation of people who revered him as a god. He was affable, could do everything well, hell his name just screams Americana. A Son of a coal miner from the middle of nowhere that can hit the ball a country mile. Then all of those kids who grew up loving him, pass that love and those stories down to their children and so on. And as the years go on the legend increases. It doesn't surprise me that people go against the grain. Really when you think about it a 52 right now, even a PSA 1 goes for about 9-10 Grand? You can buy a bunch of different cards for that amount of money. Granted the prices seem to be going up but you could still probably buy a T206 Red Cobb and one of the Ruth's cards from 33 Goudey together, for that money.

Last edited by Seven; 07-06-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Couldn’t agree with you more on the 58 Brooks and disagree with you more on the 48 Jackie. I always found that Brooks card as one of the funniest I’ve ever seen! Looks like a child whose angry over having to eat broccoli lol. The picture doesn’t match the character of the man in it at all. The Jackie to me though is iconic through and through. It’s probably not the greatest picture of him but it’s certainly nowhere in the same league as the Brooks.
Looks like the lost Manning brother in that photo.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Robert Williams

1963 Pete Rose. Even though it is his rookie card, the floating heads are always so ugly. And he has to share the spotlight with 3 other guys.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i always thought the 14's were thinner?
'14's are thinner, 15's are on thicker stock, usually less stained as you could order a complete set that didn't come in box, the bio is flipped and in the sub text there are 176 subjects instead of 144.

Cracker Jack Collecting Cliff Notes.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:27 AM
Brian K

Default The only card I will never own.

Mariano Rivera rookie card. I am a life long yankee fan, can't stand the card. I'm good with everything else.

to all the leaf haters, I hold those in high regard, flaws and all. Though the Jackie shot is not a great one, (though splitting hairs with the '49 Bowman), when you really dig into the set, as the first full color post war set, the prints and images are pretty great. Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio are ICONIC cards, and the technique and color blocking I would (falsely) claim paved the way for the works of Andy Warhol a decade later. So much more aesthetically pleasing than just a photo, 1953 Bowman I'm looking at you. My two cents, not worth a penny.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Arnie

I think we all have certain players that are real popular but do nothing for us.

For me, its Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron, for whatever reason, their cards just don't interest me at all.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
38 DiMaggio and 63 Rose are two examples of popular cards that would fit my collection, but I have never been able to pull the trigger on either.

To anyone who mentioned the 52 Mantle I would just say you won't be disappointed if you decide to pick one up. Of any card I've purchased I was most excited for my first 52 Mantle. I don't know how else to describe it, but there is just something special about that card.
Felt the same way about my 52T mantle, however Id also add that if you can find one centered which is next to impossible, that makes the card that much more special. To hold that card in your hand and look at it, especially a centered copy is truly an incredible feeling. Also, I think the TYPE 1 52T Mantle looks better than the TYPE 2. Type one has more defined color and registration and I prefer the full surround of the yankees logo.

Last edited by investinrookies; 07-06-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think it has to do with the lore of Mantle. You had an entire generation of people who revered him as a god. He was affable, could do everything well, hell his name just screams Americana. A Son of a coal miner from the middle of nowhere that can hit the ball a country mile. Then all of those kids who grew up loving him, pass that love and those stories down to their children and so on. And as the years go on the legend increases. It doesn't surprise me that people go against the grain. Really when you think about it a 52 right now, even a PSA 1 goes for about 9-10 Grand? You can buy a bunch of different cards for that amount of money. Granted the prices seem to be going up but you could still probably buy a T206 Red Cobb and one of the Ruth's cards from 33 Goudey together, for that money.
Mantle affable? In numerous books I've read he was nasty, moody, and usually pretty obnoxious. And that's when he was sober.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-06-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I have tried so hard to find a way to like the '33 Goudey set; and I just don't.

My favorite cards have always been from sets with a ton of consistency/simplicity.

1913/14 National Game/Polo Grounds
E98
1914/15 CJ
The '39 Play Ball's

they're all so uniform/simple, I see beauty in that.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:42 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
Felt the same way about my 52T mantle, however Id also add that if you can find one centered which is next to impossible, that makes the card that much more special. To hold that card in your hand and look at it, especially a centered copy is truly an incredible feeling. Also, I think the TYPE 1 52T Mantle looks better than the TYPE 2. Type one has more defined color and registration and I prefer the full surround of the yankees logo.
It does help to find one centered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200706_104140.jpg (75.8 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:09 PM

You can't collect it all. I really like the T206 HOFers, big name Exhibits, Colgan's, Hank Aaron cards, Assorted random semi-key's of major HOFers. Much, much rather put my money into those rather than rookies. Y'all can go for the rookies, I'll pass. Back when, someone decided that rookies were the deal, and that mentality has stuck along with huge prices, not that rare compared to other early players' cards.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It does help to find one centered

That’s what I’m talking about, very nice!

Last edited by investinrookies; 07-06-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
So what cards that most people want in their collection have you personally never had a desire to own? For me, I've never had a desire to own any of the 33 Goudey Ruths.

Richard - I have enjoyed this thread and rather than hijack it, I will start a similar thread with a kind-of opposite subject, 'What do you consider your most Aesthetically pleasing card?'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Mantle affable? In numerous books I've read he was nasty, moody, and usually pretty obnoxious. And that's when he was sober.
I was referring more to the way he was projected to the general public. Not how he actually was. Maybe affable is the wrong term.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I agree with everything you stated... he's a beloved cultural icon few if any could equal. And yes, that hefty price tag could definitely get you other great marquee cards. It's expensive to own the very best.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post

Thats exactly it. Theres a reason this card carries the hefty price tag it does. Its the kind of card you sell other big cards to get this one card and hold. Its also the kind of card you regret selling.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

1949 Leaf, can't stand them. Ugly and the calling them 1948's really wrecks it for me. Only key set that I refuse to build a Tiger team set for.

Especially the Robinson, Paige, and Newhouser. All 3 are hideous.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

I can't say there are any cards I don't want to add to my collection. And none that I haven't wanted.

There are lots of cards that I don't want to add at the usual price....
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
I was referring more to the way he was projected to the general public. Not how he actually was. Maybe affable is the wrong term.
My impression is that Mantle was a nice, polite guy except when drinking.

Obviously, he drank often.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:01 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
the 1952 Topps Mantle became my least favorite card in my collection when I bought it. I have never understood the fascination with it. It is his 2nd year card, it is a double print and it is ugly.
It's the whole Mantle lovefest combined with the fact that it's his first TOPPS card. When the general public thinks of baseball cards they think of Topps, they're not going to care about Bowman.

I wonder... if Topps had included DiMaggio in their '52 set, would it have eclipsed the Mantle in terms of iconic stature?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It's the whole Mantle lovefest combined with the fact that it's his first TOPPS card. When the general public thinks of baseball cards they think of Topps, they're not going to care about Bowman.

I wonder... if Topps had included DiMaggio in their '52 set, would it have eclipsed the Mantle in terms of iconic stature?
I wouldn't wonder too much the answer is no, and it wouldn't even be close. It wouldn't even be near the iconic status of the 52 Mays.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:51 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
I wouldn't wonder too much the answer is no, and it wouldn't even be close. It wouldn't even be near the iconic status of the 52 Mays.
Probably would have ended up about where Ted Williams fits into the mid '50s sets
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Mark

1948 Leaf. Any of them. I don't like the skip numbering of them, the random player selection or the design of them.

Plus they're overpriced.