NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM
$téve VV1lk

Default Uncle Jimmy / Wheatland

The auction looks to be going INSANE.
Some cards at 3x their typical comps.

1933 #181 Ruth PSA 1 typically selling around $2500, never hit over $3000 yet in the current Wheatland the bid is around $6000 with BP.
It's not just this card. 80% of the cards are 50%-200% over typical comps.

Did someone see the news article on the news one day and decide to go in and bid as if they don't have a clue that eBay and other avenues exist?

I'm just looking for discussion on what others think is going on with the bids with about 2 weeks left to bid too. I just can't see knowledgeable hobbyists or buyers paying these amounts. Im perplexed.

Last edited by wilkiebaby11; 06-30-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM
Justin

I saw this as well and it had been like that since shortly after the bid open.

I can only assume your theory is correct, no other explanation makes sense.

The lot #1 t206 Red Cobb PSA2 Polar bear with a dent in the front and 2 markings on the back is at 5k.

It does have great centering but still crazy price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jcosta19; 06-30-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Did someone see the news article on the news one day and decide to go in and bid as if they don't have a clue that eBay and other avenues exist?

I'm just looking for discussion on what others think is going on with the bids with about 2 weeks left to bid too. I just can't see knowledgeable hobbyists or buyers paying these amounts. Im perplexed.
I think this pretty much is the reason, it's getting lots of eyes from people who wouldn't normally get into card collecting who don't know what fair pricing is. For example, both my parents who know nothing about collecting have sent me 2 or 3 articles each about the collection because they saw it on the news or in the paper. So you get a few people like that who want in and boom. That plus the hype around the collection has got to be driving the prices crazy high.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

I'm surprised to think people with no knowledge/background in the hobby start out with a high-priced view of what cards go for. I would expect them to be amazed at the prices paid.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM
Scott Russell

Chuck has been masterful at getting press coverage for this auction. I imagine he's reaping the rewards. Also want to say that some of the grades seem brutal, and I don't even say that about my OWN auction items very often.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Some - some others seem ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Chuck has been masterful at getting press coverage for this auction. I imagine he's reaping the rewards. Also want to say that some of the grades seem brutal, and I don't even say that about my OWN auction items very often.
I haven't taken a good look at the prewar, but certainly trust Scotts opinion - I have seen a couple of Bazooka panels cut WAY inside the black lines with number grades - I can only speculate in an effort to "catch up", PSA is moving WAY too quickly to "accurately" grade - resulting in mistakes apparently in both directions.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Scott Russell

Yeah I know about the Bazookas, and especially for collectors like you that sucks. It's the Goudeys that caught my eye as being especially nice for their grades. Not all of course, but a much higher percentage than I would normally expect.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-30-2020, 05:02 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Coverage or not, I dont see anyone with a bit of knowledge paying $6k for a 33 Ruth PSA 1, or $5k for a T206 Red Cobb PB PSA 2. Heck, I saw a Catfish Hunter PSA 8 RC, normally about a $200 card around $600... Catfish Hunter.
What the coverage does is get people who havent a clue about the hobby into it. He is doing a great job at that and like you said, he's reaping the benefits (and even more so the family).

I definitely wasnt knocking the auction house, Im just wondering WHO is bidding this amount. And if it's someone new, do they realize this isnt eBay where you just can't push a button and cancel your bids/winnings.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM

The PSA 8 Jackie Robinson is dog shit. I wonder how much crack the PSA grader smoked before that card was graded... and, he must have crackhead friends because (allegedly) doesn’t at least two sets of eyes look at each card?

This is not a knock in any way on Wheatland. In fact, I think it’s a very nice auction and the prices are super (I agree crazy) strong.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-30-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Heart strings aren't hurting these prices. Every media source out there is an ADD fueled dread fest and here was a feel good story that got national coverage. People want a slice of that pie. The relics of a good Human being with a back story. Great job promoting this auction with a human aspect.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
The PSA 8 Jackie Robinson is dog shit. I wonder how much crack the PSA grader smoked before that card was graded... and, he must have crackhead friends because (allegedly) doesn’t at least two sets of eyes look at each card?

This is not a knock in any way on Wheatland. In fact, I think it’s a very nice auction and the prices are super (I agree crazy) strong.
I saw that card as well. But yea, it's going around $15k+ right now...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 PM
Howard Chasser

Default This news just in.....

In an effort to clear their inconceivable backlog and to prevent their entire board of directors from being voted out of their seats (see separate thread) PSA graders have been rolling 2 5 sided dice to determine grades in a much more expeditious manner.

Kudos to Wheatland for their PR coup and gotta feel good for a guy (Uncle Jimmy) who clearly put so much into his collection that his family gets to reap the rewards.

Last edited by hcv123; 06-30-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 AM
John

Default just a feel good story

My thought is people just want to keep Uncle Jimmy's Legacy going, to leave this for his family without ever thinking about selling any of it for himself just tells you about person who enjoyed a simple life, this is a an awesome story.
john
Old 07-01-2020, 07:10 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinbaseball View Post
My thought is people just want to keep Uncle Jimmy's Legacy going
That might be worth a 5% bump. This is not that. Wonder if they'd like to have that Mantle dog food card back to sell in this market?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Does anyone know the start date for the signed cards?
Old 07-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
https://www.wheatlandauctionservices...-LOT15282.aspx

One is already up.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:29 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Ugh. Are they really gonna parse them out?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:
Ugh. Are they really gonna parse them out?
seems prudent to not flood the market and instead sell them slowly
Old 07-01-2020, 06:21 PM
James M.

I think they're breaking them up over this auction and the next 2. Was able to get two nice signed photo's from the last one. Think I might sit this one out though.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default Uncle Jimmy

Whew. 700+ items. NO Categories. This is draining......seems counterproductive unless they think making everyone look at every item maximizes returns.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Right, nobody knows there is a WHOLE SLEW OF SIGNED RUTH CARDS staring them in the face coming to market

Prudent would have been to NOT show them all together.

I guess people blowing 100k on a ruth card will need a few months to gather the funds to bid on the next one.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Right, nobody knows there is a WHOLE SLEW OF SIGNED RUTH CARDS staring them in the face coming to market
Prudent would have been to NOT show them all together.
Well, people have already been falling all over themselves to bid in this auction, so that's not really an issue. Plus when you get something extraordinary like this and slow bleed it, it gets less and less believable each time. Same reason Black Swamp Find was announced in one fell swoop. If they rolled out 10%, then said we have another 10%, then another, there would even be a bigger issue where people asked if they were counterfeiting them.

At leas this was, the market consensus is confirmed that the entire collection is very likely to be authentic, and therefore the bulls are running in Pamplona, er Wheatland Auctions.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
I saw that card as well. But yea, it's going around $15k+ right now...

The market is increasing for Jackie’s rookies and likely would be higher if it were a better looking 8. His leafs are ripping its only a matter of time before the bowman moves up with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Glyn Parson

Collection is owned by multiple
Family members with each owning different items. This may be part of the reason for the splitting up of some items. I believe Chuck has announced the next auction would contain the majority if not all of the remaining autographed cards.

Last edited by glynparson; 07-02-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Chuck Whisman

Quote:
Sorry I haven't been on sooner to reply - we've been very busy working on the next auction (and it will be insane). There is a massive amount of signed cards in the auction that goes live on July 26th! So very soon you will be able to see everything. The auction that goes live on July 26th is focused on autographed cards, specifically 1933 signed Goudeys including 2 Babe Ruths & a Lou Gehrig (171 different cards from this set and many are Pop 1), 1934 Goudeys including Lou Gehrig (34 cards from this set and many are Pop 1), and a total of 59 signed Play Balls from 1939-1941, as well as many other examples of signed autographed vintage cards. There are also single signed baseballs from Walter Johnson, Honus Wagner, Frank Frisch, Ty Cobb, Pie Traynor & Thurman Munson. Also, some iconic Type 1 photos of Ruth, Gehrig, and Mantle!

There was a comment about the Jackie Robinson 1949 Bowman card. Let me just say that they card's color, corners, and edges are amazing! The centering may be a little off but it seemed and felt like it was printed yesterday as it did not seem to ever be exposed to light or air as it was tucked away. I had no idea that the color of the 1949 Bowmans were supposed to be so bold and how clean the card stock is supposed to be! Also, some of the unsigned Goudeys in the current auction just pop in color and have great surface, corners, and edges - so some people are likely bidding on them based on their own assessment of grade as there are some that may seem a little under-graded.