NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: Exit Sandman

Mo made his last ever appearance last night at home for the Yanks, and besides the fact of being the greatest closwer in the history of the game, and the most dominant pitcher in playoff history, Mo was even more of a truly special human being with a huge heart and a loving/caring attitude towards everyone as well as the history of the game.

This is something pro sports is lacking greatly, and it's always tough seeing a role model like Mo leave this game. I hope some of the younger guys (looking at you Puig) take note of how professional he was, as well as other sports (ahem, NFL).

He always took the time to sign autographs for 30-40 minutes every series ensuring everyone around would get his autograph, and he took his sweet time signing. In tribute to Mo, post your stories or cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mo.jpg (79.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 AM

I was at the game last night and at the game last Sunday for his send off. Truly incredible experiences. He is the first all time legend (like a Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle) whose entire career I've witnessed. Last night was historic and I loved being there.

Favorite memory of mine is when Mariano Rivera was a special guest at the Frozen Ropes camp my brother and I attended in the summer of 1995. I was only ten years old and neither Mariano nor my brother and I knew what he would become. Back then he was just a rookie and I was happy to be hanging out with a guy who played for the Yankees.

Last edited by packs; 09-27-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

That's awesome, both are quite memorable experiences, maybe you could get that stub signed too
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Mo was a class act from start to finish. And that is coming from a Red Sox fan. I won't miss him in the 9th against the Sox, but I will miss the sportsmanship. Something the game sorely needs more of.

There's not many athletes that go their entire career with one team and with absolutely no off-field incidents, etc to their name. Tim Duncan comes to mind in basketball, but the current list is a short one...
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Next Hall of Fame... totally he's a class act on and off the field....

Ricky Y
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Last night totally awesome, couldn't have asked for anything better especially since Arod was warming the bench.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Jon Renaut

I took this at spring training before this season. I was down with a group of friends (including another forum member) and we were sitting above the Yankees bullpen.

Rivera warming up by thetejon, on Flickr

The security at the Yankees spring training park is awful - they push people around for no real reason, and it's generally an unpleasant place to spend time. However, a crowd started gathering around the bullpen, and the guards were taking their time moving people along. A guy who was with us went down to investigate, and suddenly started waving urgently for me to come down (I had the best camera). I ran down, and there's Rivera warming up. This is my favorite of the pictures I took.

I'm an Orioles fan, and hate the Yankees as much as any self-respecting fan of another AL East team should, but I'll make an exception in this case.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

That picture is unreal
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Jon Renaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
That picture is unreal
Thanks. The high res version is on Flickr, too. I've thought about printing it and sending it to him to see if he'd sign it, though I suppose I may be too late.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Brock

I went to the Friday Yankees vs Red Sox game at fenway couple weeks ago. Got to the park early and even though there wasn't any bp, mo and several others still came out and tossed. After Mo was done, he came over and signed for many people(like 30 minutes). He signed my 2000 World Series ball(even got David Robertson who was a young kid in 2000).

I even asked Mo if he plans on coaching and told me he doesn't know. Probably my second greatest item and moment besides attending the final game at the old stadium with my dad and my tickets from the last game at yankee stadium and opening day in 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM
N.ate A.dams

Only Antonio Alfonseca was better!

Last edited by npa589; 09-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Scott

Default CF

really hope he gets to play Centerfield this weekend!

that would be a cool sendoff.....
especially since he literally spent more time in centerfield over his career than on the mound!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
really hope he gets to play Centerfield this weekend!

that would be a cool sendoff.....
especially since he literally spent more time in centerfield over his career than on the mound!
That would be so sweet
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM

I thought this was funny, most Yankees fans won't though, but it was Rivera related. Someone on facebook was asking what your favorite moments were(that you personally saw) and it was in response to his send-off last night, which was great. The first three things I thought of, with me being a Pirates fan that isn't old enough to remember them winning a World Series, were all Mariano related and it was just a coincidence with the timing.

Game 4 2004 ALCS
Game 5 2004 ALCS
Game 7 2001 WS

Those were the first three great moments I thought of and I guess that is a compliment to Rivera if you think about it.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

As a met fan who hates the yankees, i did watch the 9 inning last night. And it was real cool and a verry moving inning. Best part was him alone on the bench after it was over, it was sureal . Then him getting some dirt. Was a perfect ending for a hof player. Verry moving. I would watch it again.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Rob

Just got back from the game. Guess Girardi thought blowing a save to the Astros would be an embarrassing way to go. Really thought Houston would win this one. Instead, they set an all time losing streak at 13. At least the Astros made more money this season than any team ever has. Talk about winning.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Just got back from the game. Guess Girardi thought blowing a save to the Astros would be an embarrassing way to go. Really thought Houston would win this one. Instead, they set an all time losing streak at 13. At least the Astros made more money this season than any team ever has. Talk about winning.
Not to get this off-topic, but I don't believe those numbers from Forbes. From everything I've heard in the past, their numbers are always way off. The Astros spent over $11mil on the draft alone this year. They also had some extremely pathetic crowds show up to games and while they got the ticket money, they didn't get parking/concessions/merchandise from any of those people. I have to believe other teams have made more at some point.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Jeff

Default Mariano

I made a trip to NY in July for really two reasons to see the new park and Mariano bf he retired. Here are a few of the shots I took at one of the games:

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Rob

Default Rivera

Was disappointed not to see Rivera yesterday. I'm sure they will use him Sunday.

Mariano Rivera is 13th all-time in ERA for pitchers with a min. of 1000 innings pitched. He is alongside some big names.

8th- Mathewson, Spalding
10th T Bond
11th Waddell
12th W. Johnson
13th Rivera

(and as an aside about Astros' payroll/income. It's hard to know what ownership is planning on doing. It sort of looks like they are going to flip the franchise like a fixed-up, run-down duplex.)
Old 09-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Not to get this off-topic, but I don't believe those numbers from Forbes. From everything I've heard in the past, their numbers are always way off. The Astros spent over $11mil on the draft alone this year. They also had some extremely pathetic crowds show up to games and while they got the ticket money, they didn't get parking/concessions/merchandise from any of those people. I have to believe other teams have made more at some point.
When you get your numbers together, please share. I'm curious as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM

A few years from now the Astros have a real shot at being very good. Altuve and Appel are going to be around for a while.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM
qu@n nguy3n

astros could draft another pitcher with maybe a higher ceiling than appel, they'll be fine in a few years.

lucky all you guys getting mo at the ballpark for free, it's costing me $230 to send in for an item.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Jon Canfield

I met Mo and his then girlfriend (now wife) back in 1997. I spent a few hours with them, and both were so incredibly nice. I had Mo sign a bunch of stuff for me, but these are two of my favorites...

One of the cards didn't have a great signature on it, so I asked Clara to sign it, too. She smiled and didn't know what to say, and Mo encouraged her to sign. It still may be the only-dual Mo/wife card out there (not that it matters much). Not sure how PSA authenticated Clara Garcia's signature, but they did ;-) Of course, Clara Garcia is now Clara Rivera.

Last edited by canjond; 09-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Was disappointed not to see Rivera yesterday. I'm sure they will use him Sunday.
.)
Rivera said he's done, not pitching Sunday.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Rivera said he's done, not pitching Sunday.
Yeah, I just heard Astros' broadcasters say that Girardi wanted him to pitch or even play centerfield, but Rivera said his knee and forearm are sore and he did not want to disrespect the game by playing injured in center.