NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default eBay "Best Offers"--what's up with that

Until recently, I never offered cards at eBay in a Best Offer way so I don't know the view here of same. I've been surprised how many times people have made a modest original offer, I've come way down in my counter--and then I never hear from them at all, not even with a weak counter-offer. I'm wondering if most people who make "best offers" basically troll through all such listings, make dozens of low ball bids and then figure that's their limit--don't even look at major compromises on the buyers' side. Or am I wrong about that? Except in one case, I've had no sense of meeting near the middle at all. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM
M!ke S@il£r

When somebody has a $50 card listed for $150, there isn't much point to responding when I offer $50 and they counter with $125.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Until recently, I never offered cards at eBay in a Best Offer way so I don't know the view here of same. I've been surprised how many times people have made a modest original offer, I've come way down in my counter--and then I never hear from them at all, not even with a weak counter-offer. I'm wondering if most people who make "best offers" basically troll through all such listings, make dozens of low ball bids and then figure that's their limit--don't even look at major compromises on the buyers' side. Or am I wrong about that? Except in one case, I've had no sense of meeting near the middle at all. Thanks.
You are 100 percent right about this. Exactly why I have limited my Best Offers. I mostly just set the cards at fair market value, and people can either pay that or not pay that.

I don't need the headaches.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
...make dozens of low ball bids and then figure that's their limit...
I think that is pretty accurate. It's a quick, easy and anonymous way for a buyer to be really ridiculous with an offer (one which they would be embarrassed to make in person). If it works, great. If not, just move on.

Greg, I always typically add a "best offer" option on ebay. I think psychologically it helps if the buyer "thinks" he is getting you to come down a bit.

You can always set the "automatic decline" option to weed out the really low ball offers that much so they don't clog up the process. Then you don't even have to see them Or get frustrated by the ridiculous offers.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Larry More.y

As a buyer, I typically send over slightly below market offers (no matter the starting asking price), and some of the time I am pleasantly surprised as the offer is accepted. However, when I receive a counter offer back from a seller that is twice the market price (while the original asking price is 3x the market price), I do not respond with my own counter offer.

As a seller, I use the auto decline option on best offers and have that option set for slightly below a respected market value. I seem to do just fine selling cards via best offer in this format.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
When somebody has a $50 card listed for $150, there isn't much point to responding when I offer $50 and they counter with $125.
I politely disagree. When I offer $50 on a $150 card...and the seller counters at too high of a price...I will either counter again or say no thanks to them.....it's just a common courtesy to me, but to each their own. (and I am sure I have probably forgotten to do what I am saying sometimes, but it is what I normally do)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

It really all depends. If the seller doesn't know what his item is worth, then it's a waste of the buyer's time. If the buyer doesn't know what the item is worth, then it's a waste of the seller's time. As a seller, if I don't know what my item is worth, I don't do 'Buy it Now' - I run it as a straight auction.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Robert A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It really all depends. If the seller doesn't know what his item is worth, then it's a waste of the buyer's time. If the buyer doesn't know what the item is worth, then it's a waste of the seller's time. As a seller, if I don't know what my item is worth, I don't do 'Buy it Now' - I run it as a straight auction.

Exactly.

Unfortunately, a lot of the "sellers" know what the cards are worth. They just choose to list them ridiculously high and then choose to counter a good offer in a silly way that is just a waste of time.

If you have a $500 card listed at $1000 with a best offer and you're going to counter at $975 then just list it at $975 fixed already.

Of course I know they believe this is some kind of business model. The better model would be to sell me a card at a fairly reasonable price so I buy another card from you in the future. Collectors are willing to pay a premium for something they want, but don't really enjoy being insulted with a silly counter offer.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM

I've come back with high counteroffers as a seller when the initial offer was ridiculous. I usually list cards just over what I think they are worth. If it is worth $175, I will put $200 and I'd take $150 if someone wouldn't go any higher. But if someone offers $85, I'm only dropping to $190 just because they were wasting my time.

Basically, you don't always get a good counteroffer from a seller if your first offer sucks.

In the above scenario, if I had $150 and someone offered $50, I'd probably come back with $135-140 and stick with it because if they aren't trying, neither am I. I might be willing to take $120, but not from them, I can wait.

The only person I've ever offered less than half to on ebay is that helping humans group because they put insane prices on their items, sometimes 20x the value. They will work with you though, so once we actually made a deal when my offer was well below asking price
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Exactly.

Unfortunately, a lot of the "sellers" know what the cards are worth. They just choose to list them ridiculously high and then choose to counter a good offer in a silly way that is just a waste of time.
I deal exactly once with each such dealer.

My prices might be too high, but if someone makes an offer I will go back and check my costs before responding. I think some dealers have no idea what items are worth or what their costs are, and/or don't need to make much money, so they don't care.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Greg Mitchell

I was not outlining a "ridiculous" original BIN price. It's more like: Say the card is "worth" 150 and you set opening price at, say, 160. First offer comes in at, say, 90. Seller comes down to 140--and then gets no counter-offer. That's why it seems like it's mere trolling, not semi-serious offers.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Sam Lemoine

I often will make an offer that is probably too low. For an item listed at $100 that I think is worth $90, I will offer $60. If the seller wants to sell and needs the money right away, it is $60 they will have today and be done with it. I have offered half of the asking price on many occasions and had the offer accepted with no further negotiations. If the seller wants to negotiate, I am willing to work with them and we can hammer out a deal in the $80-90 range on the above scenario. But, if they come back at $99 as their negotiated price, I don't bother with them anymore. And, if I make a high offer and you don't accept, I never make a second offer. For instance, a fellow had a card for $14 obo. I offered $12. Only two bucks, but if you said obo, then a best offer you shall receive. He came back at $13.90. Forget him. I waited and bought the card for $11 a few weeks later at auction, and his $14 card is still sitting there two years later. I like to negotiate. Don't always think the initial lowball offer guy is not going to make a deal with you. If you don't ask you don't receive.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Robert A

Greg,

As a seller, I totally get what you're talking about. I've had a couple interesting interactions lately as a buyer so just venting a bit. By the way, great price on your D304. Priced to sell.

Rob
Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Greg Mitchell

So buy it!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Just an anecdote, and memorabilia, not cards, but...
A few years ago, an eBay vendor put up a $40.-$50. item with a starting bid/BIN price of $200.
It sat there for year, repeatedly relisted at $200., until he added a best-offer option.
Figuring he might be losing patience with it or having realized his $200. figure was too high,
we sent him a fair-market offer of $40., which was auto-rejected.
A few days later, we tried again, offering $45.
This time we got a counter-offer: $199.99.
That was the end of our trying to negotiate.
Have to add, he got the last laugh:
it sat there for another year and a half, but somebody eventually did hit the $200. BIN.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Robert Klevens

I had an item at $150 BIN and got an offer of $30. I countered with $60 and never heard from the guy again. A couple of weeks later someone else bought it for $150.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Robert A

Quote:
So buy it!

Well, I already have it or I would.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Mike Ryan

As a buyer to me "submit your best offer" means just that. So I submit my best offer. No need to send me counter offers because I have already sent my best offer. No sense wasting a sellers time.

As a seller if the "best offer" is reasonable and fair then the card is sold.
I usually just decline "low balls". No counteroffer.