NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2021, 04:25 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Default The Weight

“The Weight”

Be happy not because everything is good, but because you can see the good side of everything. -Buddha-

I originally named this piece “The Wait” but while hen pecking the keyboard I noticed how divisive certain threads were becoming, almost immediately, with pointed attacks and acerbic comments to fellow members quickly devolving into a tit-for-tat shitshow that really had nothing to do with the original post or baseball card collecting in general and some thoughts occurred to me.
I don’t expect things to change anytime soon as it seems that’s how people have learned to treat each other online in the last couple of decades, I’ve also been known to be an asshole at times and felt the urge to throw out some unpleasant comments but have stopped myself short (most of the time) because for me, I care deeply about how special this place is with regards to card collecting.

So I try and spare Net54 of my opinions about things I learned not to discuss at the Sunday dinner table or cocktail parties because it never ends well. The past wasn’t perfect, nor is the present, and the future won’t be either, but the trick is to treat people with compassion, understanding, and respect on the daily, and not only this place but the world around us will be better for it.

I’ll step down from my soap box now and get back to hen pecking the keyboard but I wanted to leave you with a song that always reminds me of compassion when I listen to it.

“The Weight” written by Robbie Robertson of The Band. Some of you geezers may remember it as the song is over 50 years old like a lot of us.
This is my favorite version, feel free to enjoy it while reading on.

One thing I learned being in the Music business for 25 years was that no matter your skin color, religious, sexual, or political orientation the one universal language we could all agree on was Music, a constant bridge over what divides us. I also found a parallel between my attitude about music and my attitude about card collecting. For me, this is the place where I come to talk about and share the “Music” of card collecting which inspired me to write about something I’ve learned here.

“The Wait”

Patience is not only the ability to wait, it is the ability to have a good attitude while you are waiting. -Buddha-

When I got back into card collecting and built my list of 300 I wanted it all. Wanted it fast! now! asap! Like a squirrel filling his cheeks with acorns until no more would fit.
I got frustrated that things weren’t moving fast enough, treating it like I sometimes treat my business, aggressive. I missed things because I was moving too fast, lessons that were there right in front of me waiting to be picked up, but I was blind to them. Being an Idiot would be a kind assessment, my frustration became a “Weight” because I tried to force things.
It wasn’t until I applied some of the llife lessons that I learned long ago and listened to the lessons of card collecting that things really started to fall into place.

I also received great advice and support from long-time members here that was invaluable. Thank you for that.

Armed with my newfound enlightenment and liking a good challenge, I chose some goals that would test my ability, certain cards, certain types, and a couple of sets that would force me to slow down. Similar to climbing a Mountain that might be just above your current skill level but knowing you will learn the right lessons along the way while getting to the summit.

The “Card Gods” were talking and I was finally listening.

Always be prepared for you never know when an opportunity may present itself. Calm down, just calm down, breathe, and relax. Focus on what you want your collection to look like and visualize it. If a card is meant to be yours and you are prepared and open to receiving it, that card will come to you on its own time in its own way. You can’t force card collecting, it never works out well. You can’t be filled with negative energy or selfishness and do this thing right.

Treat people with kindness and respect, make friends, that’s the true reward in this hobby. Be generous with your time, knowledge, and support.

Learn to wait, the reward is infinitely better.

And the stories here, truly inspirational stories from dozens of members about “The Wait”.

-Morrie hitting 520 after 40 years, unbelievable.

-Leon building his next great collection.

-My good friend Andy and his unshakeable perseverance, who reminds me it’s not about the money, ever.

-Tbob and his quest for an E94 Master Set, good god, can you imagine.

-All you crazy T206 back collectors. Just smh, y’all are certifiable.

-A long time member building a set that I would think nigh impossible, but he’s much nearer the end than the beginning. I believe he’ll make it.

-Val collecting all things Sam Rice, literally all things Sam Rice, if there was rice named Sam Rice, Val would have it.

-Michael's 5 year quest for just the right Hindu back Trio.

-Ben's PC796 run. Rob's Coupon run. Chad's 33 Goudey run. Jeff's Joe Jackson goal. Story after story of incredible card collecting adventures.

-And one of my personal favorites: Howard's 30 year wait to capture his Bazooka Clemente.

So many stories about waiting, collecting, and the journey in between. Too many stories to count but each one of them impressive in their own way.

And I silently cheer every one of you on when I read your stories and throw positive vibes your way that one day that card will come to you.

Because it will, as long as you embrace “The Wait”.

House rules require a card with every post, this is the only one that felt appropriate. Happy Collecting!
-

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 s-l1600.jpg (20.7 KB, 601 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 05-04-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's impossible IMO to improve on the studio version. The piano in the choruses (Garth Hudson) is otherworldly and holds it all together. The harmonies were perfect too, never replicated IMO.

The version in The Last Waltz is good, with great singing from Mavis and Pops Staples, but ultimately it's an electric version and you can't do that to what is essentially a hymn.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-02-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:57 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Excellent post.
BUT...if Levon's not singing, The Weight is just another song.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Excellent post.
BUT...if Levon's not singing, The Weight is just another song.
Rick Danko was a big part of the studio version too in the fourth and final verses.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:24 PM
Renay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Rick Danko was a big part of the studio version too in the fourth and final verses.
Thank you for the reminder. I love Rick Danko. One of his later bands Danko Fjeld and Andersen will always have some of my favorite songs.

Last edited by Lila2222; 05-02-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila2222 View Post
Thank you for the reminder. I love Rick Danko. One of his later bands Danko Fjeld and Andersen will always have some of my favorite songs.
Danko sings lead on many of the great songs. It Makes No Difference, Stage Fright, This Wheel's on Fire come immediately to mind.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:00 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Great post, Phil.... and what an incredible version of an all-time great song. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:31 PM
Renay

Btw to Phil the OP ... I love this version of the song thank you for sharing!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:17 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

This is so awesome...I thank you for posting and brightening my day.

I love the studio version and dearly miss Levon Helm...

all the same, I will put the youtube link up on my face book page.

WONDERFUL! THANKS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
“The Weight”

Be happy not because everything is good, but because you can see the good side of everything. -Buddha-

I originally named this piece “The Wait” but while hen pecking the keyboard I noticed how divisive certain threads were becoming, almost immediately, with pointed attacks and acerbic comments to fellow members quickly devolving into a tit-for-tat shitshow that really had nothing to do with the original post or baseball card collecting in general and some thoughts occurred to me.
I don’t expect things to change anytime soon as it seems that’s how people have learned to treat each other online in the last couple of decades, I’ve also been known to be an asshole at times and felt the urge to throw out some unpleasant comments but have stopped myself short (most of the time) because for me, I care deeply about how special this place is with regards to card collecting.

So I try and spare Net54 of my opinions about things I learned not to discuss at the Sunday dinner table or cocktail parties because it never ends well. The past wasn’t perfect, nor is the present, and the future won’t be either, but the trick is to treat people with compassion, understanding, and respect on the daily, and not only this place but the world around us will be better for it.

I’ll step down from my soap box now and get back to hen pecking the keyboard but I wanted to leave you with a song that always reminds me of compassion when I listen to it.

“The Weight” written by Robbie Robertson of The Band. Some you geezers may remember it as the song is over 50 years old like a lot of us.
This is my favorite version, feel free to enjoy it while reading on.

One thing I learned being in the Music business for 25 years was that no matter your skin color, religious, sexual, or political orientation the one universal language we could all agree on was Music, a constant bridge over what divides us. I also found a parallel between my attitude about music and my attitude about card collecting. For me, this is the place where I come to talk about and share the “Music” of card collecting which inspired me to write about something I’ve learned here.

“The Wait”

Patience is not only the ability to wait, it is the ability to have a good attitude while you are waiting. -Buddha-

When I got back into card collecting and built my list of 300 I wanted it all. Wanted it fast! now! asap! Like a squirrel filling his cheeks with acorns until no more would fit.
I got frustrated that things weren’t moving fast enough, treating it like I sometimes treat my business, aggressive. I missed things because I was moving too fast, lessons that were there right in front of me waiting to be picked up, but I was blind to them. Being an Idiot would be a kind assessment, my frustration became a “Weight” because I tried to force things.
It wasn’t until I applied some of the lessons that I learned long ago and listened to the lessons of card collecting that things really started to fall into place.

I also received great advice from some long-time members here that was invaluable. Thank you for that.

Armed with my newfound enlightenment and liking a good challenge, I chose some goals that would test my ability, certain cards, certain types, and a couple of sets that would force me to slow down. Similar to climbing a Mountain that might be just above your current skill level but knowing you will learn the right lessons along the way while getting to the summit.

The “Card Gods” were talking and I was finally listening.

Always be prepared for you never know when an opportunity may present itself. Calm down, just calm down, breathe, and relax. Focus on what you want your collection to look like and visualize it. If a card is meant to be yours and you are prepared and open to receiving it, that card will come to you on its own time in its own way. You can’t force card collecting, it never works out well. You can’t be filled with negative energy or selfishness and do this thing right.

Treat people with kindness and respect, make friends, that’s the true reward in this hobby. Be generous with your time, knowledge, and support.

Learn to wait, the reward is infinitely better.

And the stories here, truly inspirational stories from dozens of members about “The Wait”.

-Morrie hitting 520 after 40 years, unbelievable.

-Leon building his next great collection.

-My good friend Andy and his unshakeable perseverance, who reminds me it’s not about the money, ever.

-Tbob and his quest for an E94 Master Set, good god, can you imagine.

-All you crazy T206 back collectors. Just smh, y’all are certifiable.

-A long time member building a set that I would think nigh impossible, but he’s much nearer the end than the beginning. I believe he’ll make it.

-Val collecting all things Sam Rice, literally all things Sam Rice, if there was rice named Sam Rice, Val would have it.

-Michael's 5 year quest for just the right Hindu back Trio.

-Ben's PC796 run. Rob's Coupon run. Chad's 33 Goudey run. Jeff's Joe Jackson goal. Story after story of incredible card collecting adventures.

-And one of my personal favorites: Howard's 30 year wait to capture his Bazooka Clemente.

So many stories about waiting, collecting, and the journey in between. Too many stories to count but each one of them impressive in their own way.

And I silently cheer every one of you on when I read your stories and throw positive vibes your way that one day that card will come to you.

Because it will, as long as you embrace “The Wait”.

House rules require a card with every post, this is the only one that felt appropriate. Happy Collecting!
-

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
This is so awesome...I thank you for posting and brightening my day.

I love the studio version and dearly miss Levon Helm...

all the same, I will put the youtube link up on my face book page.

WONDERFUL! THANKS AGAIN!
Thanks Robbie,
I would posit that his greatest song was done when he knew his days were numbered and he chose a civil war ballad to leave behind.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMMUZOq3OU

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-02-2021, 08:51 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Great post, sir. Thank you
Old 05-03-2021, 08:06 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 10:46 AM

Nice post Phil with a great video! I feel better.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:09 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Thanks for that rendition. I want to add it to my music library. Is there a CD or MP3 I can buy with this on it? Can you point me to it?

Much nicer than "We are the world" IMHO.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 11:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Thanks for that rendition. I want to add it to my music library. Is there a CD or MP3 I can buy with this on it? Can you point me to it?

Much nicer than "We are the world" IMHO.

Thanks!
You should be able to convert YouTube to an MP3. I haven't done it recently but used to do it all the time.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:46 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You should be able to convert YouTube to an MP3. I haven't done it recently but used to do it all the time.
I can do that with no problems. But I'd rather pay for it!

Cheers,
Old 05-03-2021, 11:11 AM
David McDonald

Default "Music, a constant bridge over what divides us."

Have seen more than my share of trainwrecks on this site. This thread has been a great pleasure to read. Thanks, OP.