NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Drew W@i$e

Default Card shows in 2021

If/when cards shows come back in 2021, what do you think the landscape will look like? Some dealers haven’t been at shows in a long time, have many just moved to online selling? Or hunkered down until shows come back?
Old 12-19-2020, 01:36 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
If/when cards shows come back in 2021, what do you think the landscape will look like? Some dealers haven’t been at shows in a long time, have many just moved to online selling? Or hunkered down until shows come back?
Shows are already back to a limited extent. I'm sure things will be back to normal once the vaccine is gotten by a good portion of the general population. Shows are very much a social thing, which a lot of people enjoy going to.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There was a show out here (SF/Oakland area) last weekend in a very large, wide open room. It was almost entirely made up of modern stuff, which was shocking, but there was a reasonable amount of masked people digging through cards at quite a few of the tables, so good for them. I counted only a pair of vintage dealers, and the one I conversed with at length and actually bought stuff from (the other guy is at every single show with his beyond ridiculous pricing) haled from Arizona, which is a hike. While I was there, no one else was looking through either of these guy's cards (they occupied adjoining tables), and the fellah I bought from had sick runs of ungraded 1966 & 67 high numbers in beautiful shape, plus a handful of 1952 highs (and a Lou Brock RC I purchased). It certainly was a missed opportunity for vintage collectors/dealers. To me, the main problem was the show came out of nowhere and was held at an out-of-the-way (but pretty awesome 'fairgrounds') site. Since most of the other counties out here are on full lockdown (perhaps the promoter found a loophole?), many collectors probably weren't even aware it was happening.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I was wonder about the Chicago National in 2021 has anyone heard any updates on that ?
Old 12-19-2020, 05:51 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I was wonder about the Chicago National in 2021 has anyone heard any updates on that ?
If I had to wager, we're not going to hear something until after the holidays at a minimum. Probably to gauge the rise/fall in cases. I will say that if it is in June, there will at a minimum, be a mask mandate.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:51 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

There was a show here in San Antonio yesterday and today; 90% of the cards was new shiny stuff, along with Star Wars toys and comic books. Maybe around 50 dealers or so. I went because JSA was there, and I had a recent purchase I needed to get authenticated. Everyone was masked-up.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-19-2020, 06:24 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
If I had to wager, we're not going to hear something until after the holidays at a minimum. Probably to gauge the rise/fall in cases. I will say that if it is in June, there will at a minimum, be a mask mandate.
From the many of years of going to shows I can sadly say that poor hygiene in the form of foul body odor and bad breath is never in short supply at the shows. I’ll gladly welcome the Mask Mandate at shows.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-19-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Hank Thomas

I see dates for the Philly Show (March5-7) and Chantilly Show (April 9-11) on the ESCM and CSA show websites. The October CSA show happened but the December Philly Show was cancelled, so who knows if these will go on depending on the virus situation this spring, I suppose, but I hope so. I hadn't heard of ESCM before, I guess they are the autograph promoters for these shows.
Old 12-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Attended a nice show in Plainville CT today. Nice array of both vintage and modern. What made my day was a kid around 12 or so buying vintage cards for $1.00 and said his he likes the history of older cards.. Buys from today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (78.1 KB, 625 views)
Old 12-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I see dates for the Philly Show (March5-7) and Chantilly Show (April 9-11) on the ESCM and CSA show websites. The October CSA show happened but the December Philly Show was cancelled, so who knows if these will go on depending on the virus situation this spring, I suppose, but I hope so. I hadn't heard of ESCM before, I guess they are the autograph promoters for these shows.
I told Dan M yesterday, the next Chantilly or Philly show, I will probably come up there and set up with him again. Hopefully will get to see Teddy Z too.
Should be fun again, pandemic and all.

Last edited by Leon; 12-26-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:40 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I told Dan M yesterday, the next Chantilly or Philly show, I will probably come up there and set up with him again. Hopefully will get to see Teddy Z too. Should be fun again, pandemic and all. .
Hope to see you there, Leon. Can't wait til things get back to normal.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:38 AM
Anson

I hate to bring a sour sub-topic to the discussion. But, given all of the theft and other scammery going on at shows, I would be concerned with everyone wearing masks. A large part of the security apparatus used to protect higher-value cards relies on being able to identify people (video or in-person). I would be hesitant to put anything out in fear someone grabs and runs.

Sure, there are ways to try and safeguard. But it's just one more challenge with COVID and there are a lot of desperate people out there.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I hate to bring a sour sub-topic to the discussion. But, given all of the theft and other scammery going on at shows, I would be concerned with everyone wearing masks. A large part of the security apparatus used to protect higher-value cards relies on being able to identify people (video or in-person). I would be hesitant to put anything out in fear someone grabs and runs.

Sure, there are ways to try and safeguard. But it's just one more challenge with COVID and there are a lot of desperate people out there.
+1
Old 12-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Rich Klein

As a customer and vendor at all of Kyle's DFW shows (I missed the other one in Arlington); I have not heard or witnessed anything about thefts and we've had good attendance and almost as good mask wearing. Frankly, a really good thief is going to get you with or without a mask.

Rich
Old 12-28-2020, 04:33 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Has anyone heard any updates about the Strongsville Show Scheduled in April?

Hopefully that does not get cancelled again like it was in 2020.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Jimmy

Just waiting for Mass. to open shows!

Have been doing some flea markets and may try NH. or Conn. this year if we are stuck with another long wait.

Jimmy
Old 12-30-2020, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hopefully we will get some openings as the vaccine gets more widely distributed. I have been talking to Danny M about setting up at Chantilly or Philly, whichever is open next. It would be great to see everyone in Chicago in 2021 also.

Last edited by Leon; 12-30-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hoping for shows in the latter part of the year starting with the National. I am not expecting shows to happen here in SoCal until at least the summer, and that assumes widespread vaccination and a dramatic downturn in the disease rate as a result. Collectors are usually sedentary, obese, older people, i.e., Covid-bait. Even then, I would be masked and gloved up.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-30-2020 at 12:42 PM.