NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 PM
ErikV

Default A Cultural History of the Baseball Card

My brother just sent me this article from today's issue of The Atlantic.
Thought I'd pass it along to the board.

Over 100 years, small images of athletes went from tobacco companies'
marketing materials to overhyped investments favored by nostalgic grown
men. Now, they’re worth virtually nothing.

Read More:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...l-card/383784/

ErikV
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
pariah1107

The authors concluding paragraph summarizes it all "After learning the history of baseball cards, I suspect...."

Really, the entire history? Where is this book? Does it tell the future too?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Fred

I was expecting at least a 20 page mini saga on the topic... 2 pages?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM

It's just basically someone that bought the wrong cards as an investment, now complaining about it. I have over 100,000 cards from my childhood and while they will probably never be worth anything, you can't replace the fun I had collecting them as a kid, trading them with friends, getting cards of my favorite players and finishing an entire set one-by-one. I can grab a box of cards anytime I want and look through them without worry about the value of the cards.

One of the great things about a set like 1988 Donruss cards is you can get a young kid into collecting cheap and have him get cards of Hall of Famers and great players and not worry if they ruin the cards. Maybe get them hooked on cards then have them go for older stuff over time. While the monetary value may be very small, you can't put a price on memories.

My advice to that author would be for him to do others a favor. Take his cards and to quote Ebenezer Scrooge, "decrease the surplus population"
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 12-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Michael S.

I couldn't agree more. I am a product of the 80's and was told that I was sitting on my retirement fund, so long as I kept my Oil Can Boyd's in mint condition. OK, maybe not Oil Can, but certainly my McGwire USA cards.

Fast forward 30 years and my cards are nothing more than wonderful childhood memories and that, more than the monetary value placed on them, is worth more than my retirement fund. Had I not had those opportunities as a child, thumbing through Score, Fleer, Donruss, and early Upper Deck (Ooooh, the fancy packaging) - I wouldn't have my passion in the hobby that I currently do.

Not to mention, as I am now the uncle to a child who loves baseball, he has a gateway into the hobby that doesn't require $100 for a pack of 5 cards, hoping to hit the 1/1 lottery ticket stashed inside.

Whew - rant over!
Old 12-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
It's just basically someone that bought the wrong cards as an investment, now complaining about it. I have over 100,000 cards from my childhood and while they will probably never be worth anything, you can't replace the fun I had collecting them as a kid, trading them with friends, getting cards of my favorite players and finishing an entire set one-by-one. I can grab a box of cards anytime I want and look through them without worry about the value of the cards.

Admit it John, the first offer from someone to trade an OJ Larry card and the whole 100,000 cards you have will be traded and delivered to the person making the offer.... no losing any sleep over the memories of the childhood...

When I first saw the thread I thought I was going to be in for a really cool article. Oh well, maybe someday someone will write that article the way it should be written.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Admit it John, the first offer from someone to trade an OJ Larry card and the whole 100,000 cards you have will be traded and delivered to the person making the offer.... no losing any sleep over the memories of the childhood...

When I first saw the thread I thought I was going to be in for a really cool article. Oh well, maybe someday someone will write that article the way it should be written.
I'm putting a couple of paragraphs about the T206 Southern League subset in my master's paper this spring, but it is going to be far from an in-depth study on the subject.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 AM

Hahahaha - more junk reporting. What a "piece" of crap. One of the funniest things is that all the cards illustrated with this "piece" have tremendous value, despite the ignorant thesis of this garbage article.

Sad that people actually read and believe the junk that gets printed.

"Now they're worth virtually nothing." Too funny. This would be surprising to the 20 or 30 auction houses that make fantastic six and seven figure profits every year dealing in these virtually worthless goods. Or the many hundreds of dealers doing profitable sales regularly. Or the thousands of collectors who make gains from selling these items for more than they paid.

But why talk to any of those people before declaring your educated opinion in a published article? That would require actual work and integrity.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-18-2014 at 12:26 AM.