NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
My one experience with Mueller was both good and bad. I bought a dual-signed first-day cover in one of his auctions, supposedly signed by both Boris Karloff and Dwight Frye. A few months later, a fellow horror collector showed me the page from an RR Auctions catalog from which the signatures--and inscriptions--were copied. I presented the material to Todd, and he issued a refund.

He than cut the signatures apart, and re-sold them.
Just curious, how long ago was this? And how did you know the R&R autos weren't the copies?

Did you ever talk to him about why he cut them up and sold them?

Ken
Old 03-25-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Just curious, how long ago was this? And how did you know the R&R autos weren't the copies?

Ken
Here's the FDC:

And here's the catalog page:

Note that the Karloff is identical. The Frye is almost identical--there are two differences. On the cover the inscription is to Saul (on the RR piece it's to Sam), and the character name "Igor" has been added to the FDC. My interpretation is that in order to match the Karloff--mentioning his most famous character--the forger had Frye mention his character in the movie. Now, most people think of Dr. Frankenstein's hunchbacked assistant as "Igor," but in actuality, the character Frye played was called "Fritz." Frye would certainly have known that!

The kicker, though, is the date of cancellation on the FDC--Halloween, 1944. Frye died on November 7, 1943.

When I saw this piece in Mueller's auction catalog, I noticed the disparity in dates immediately. I called Mueller, and he told me a cock-and-bull story about the cover being signed well in advance of the cancellation date.

I fell for it, and ignored the "Igor" discrepancy as well. Why? It was the usual collector's malady. I wanted the piece to be real.

So, about a year later, after posting the cover on the net, I was contacted by a fellow horror collector who sent me the RR page. I presented this to Mueller. He assured me the cover was real, and told me he would refund my money, and cut the autographs apart (to obviate the postmark problem), and sell them.

A few years later, I noticed the Frye signature being offered on eBay. I contacted the seller, presented all the information, except where I had obtained the cover. I asked him where he got the autograph. Yep, that's right.

(He got his money back from Mueller, too.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 03-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Ken
Ken,

He cut them up and sold them because he could. That shows the character of the individual. I'm sure he then prayed about it. That's how he does it.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 03-26-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
JT R0berts

What is the point of this thread anymore?

Last edited by JT; 03-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
What is the point of this thread anymore?
Where is our newest member. He has everyone talking for him but he has yet to show up and do exactly what was asked of Traves(the martyr). Why has Tood not come on here and defend what is being said.

Last edited by shelly; 03-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Ken,

He cut them up and sold them because he could. That shows the character of the individual. I'm sure he then prayed about it. That's how he does it.
Did you actually talk to the man about this, or are you basing your opinions on what you read on the internets?

Ken