NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2019, 04:28 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As far as cards goes, or any other collectible for that matter... Overpriced stuff has a few bad effects. Some mentioned by others.
It used to really bother me 20 years ago. Less so now. Oddly dealers underpricing things out of ignorance has never bothered me much at all...
Oddly I have very few buyers complain about getting good deals at my auctions either. Still waiting for someone to say "Great auction but I didn't pay nearly enough for the card I got so here's an extra $50."

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Oddly I have very few buyers complain about getting good deals at my auctions either. Still waiting for someone to say "Great auction but I didn't pay nearly enough for the card I got so here's an extra $50."

I have never done that with a business but I have done that with fellow collectors before.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Scott Russell

I've actually done it as a dealer buying a collection once. they gave me a number and it was just goofy, and for once it was goofy low instead of high. I couldn't make myself take it at their price.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:

Scott, if it makes you feel any better, I've gotten such good deals at your auctions I just gave the card away
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Scott, if it makes you feel any better, I've gotten such good deals at your auctions I just gave the card away
That's because you got what you really wanted. The dolls...

Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

I suspect you'll have a long wait for that.

I did once have a small part in a dealer doing it.
Guy came in with a bunch of late 40's early 50's cards. (In like 1979 or so, not all that unusual. ) Most were VG or worse.
The dealer, whose shop I hung out at made the guy an offer and he said he'd think about it. It was over the phone, while they had the cards.
Since I was there like 3-4 days a week I got to look through the bunch.
I get to the leafs, and there are a few I didn't recall seeing before so I asked for the guide book. (Either sports collectors bible, or the 78 Beckett. ) And after looking up I remarked that I'd never seen leaf rare numbers before.
"What"
"Yeah, there's a few of them in here, like maybe 10"
"Oh crap"

Brief discussion ensues, seller is contacted again and given a much better offer. which he instantly takes.
3 dealers saw the bunch, including the guys I hung out at who were pretty good. I was the only one who noticed.

The debate had been along the lines of "do we offer more to maybe compete with the other offers, or will it make the guy think we were lowballing him and wreck the whole deal since he may not trust the new offer if he thinks that.

The new offer was easily the highest. Done deal as soon as the guy got there and they went with him to the bank across the street for cash.
Happiness all around, except for me. I couldn't get a special discount on one of the rare numbers for having noticed them.. I still don't have one.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM
Scott Russell

they should've definitely taken care of you for the head's up.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Albert Bee

Default dealer

Wow,
You cant get away with anything on this site LOL .... this thread is entertainingly, out of control
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, when I did auctions I never heard anyone complaining about getting a good deal and then send me more money. Not sure why?

As far as learning more about foreign cards....maybe it isn't a good ROI of the dealer's time? They would rather Do the ole "Mr. Mint flip".....or price too high and not sell.

Quote:

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: qui
Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, when I did auctions I never heard anyone complaining about getting a good deal and then send me more money. Not sure why?

As far as learning more about foreign cards....maybe it isn't a good ROI of the dealer's time? They would rather Do the ole "Mr. Mint flip".....or price too high and not sell.
I did get a great buy on old hobby publications from your auction years ago. It was for the opening bid, as I recall. I almost sent you more money just for the packaging and shipping of the lot. I could tell it was wrapped with love and care.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:57 AM
Ryan Christoff

Jason,

Maybe it would help to out the dealers you're talking about. Both the good and bad. Maybe some good could come out of dealers knowing who to ask if they are looking for actual realistic prices on foreign issues and not to gouge someone. I'm sorry, if someone is charging 10 times what the actual market dictates a card is worth, they are scamming the buyer, who is obviously new to the hobby. Is it really the best thing for a new buyer to be screwed and run out of the hobby so one dealer can make a stupid amount of profit by charging a ridiculous price to a novice who doesn't know any better? How is that good for the hobby? Out the jerk who is trying to scam people. It's not just a matter of "anyone can charge whatever they want for their cards." We are all capitalists. We all understand the free market. That doesn't mean a new collector deserves to be ripped off. And no one but a novice collector, or a billionaire, would be willing to pay 10 times what they could sell the card for if they needed to.

-Ryan