NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Matthew Sears - are you out there?

Posted By: runscott

Does anyone know t216kotton (Matthew Sears)? I won a card from him a week ago and have gotten no invoice or response to emails.

edited to change title and add the following:
item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5118507824&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

Hi Scott,
I've won several items from him in the past and have had no problems. He has posted on this board before. Maybe if you put up a thread with his name in the title it'll get his attention and he'll e-mail you. Hope everything works out.

Best,
Adam

Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I've done a couple larger deals with Matt recently. He's a good guy and definately reputable in my eyes. There is some sort of an issue with his Yahoo account though as I can rarely get an email through to him if I Email him from my Hotmail account. I ended up simply emailing him from my Yahoo account instead which worked a little better. But yes, hopefully he'll see this message and contact you this way.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

It's been only a week.
Where is he from?
This past week has been a horrific week for some people.
The last priority thing on there mind might be eBay.
Some of the priorities on a higher scale might be electricity - having enough gas to get back to where they use to live - hoping that it is still there - etc etc etc.
It's been a week of a bad week.

Scott, I've met you and you seem like a very nice guy, but B4 you allow your violin strings to tighten up and pop - step back and take a deep breath - I know, a week can sometimes feel like an eternity.
Don't allow the inexperience things that are beyond your borders get a hold of you.

Better yet:
Come here and join me and Harvey at Chumley's Rest.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I believe the problem could be his email service or even eBay. In the last 3-6 months I have had more and more "issues" trying to reach people with AOL or Yahoo email accounts and on some of my eBay auctions I never get notices.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

he might get mistaken for a store. He was real nice.

Where there have been no catastrophes, it has been hot as hell. My computer doesn't like hot--feeds me a lot of "x"s where there should be pictures...oh, and be sure to turn it OFF when not in use...

Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

I'm starting to think I've dealt with him on some level before.

Joe P - when people ask for input from the board, it doesn't necessarily mean their violin strings are about to pop.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Old 09-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I had a recent issue of not receiving an invoice for items I won, so perhaps it's a computer problem with eBay. Many people, including myself, use eBay to send the invoices.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joel

I have noticed, that after adding a spam blocker, that the ebay winning notifications have been identified as spam. The ebay bidding emails do not get notified as spam.

just a thought!

Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Joe P - I've met you and you are very mild-mannered and considerate. Your posts continue to confuse the hell out of me, but I'll leave it at that.

Scott

Old 09-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Your words:

"Does anyone know t216kotton (Matthew Sears)? I won a card from him a week ago and have gotten no invoice or response to emails.

edited to change title and add the following:"

item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5118507824&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

This message has been edited by runscott on Sep 7, 2004 1:54 PM
----------------------------------------
Scott, we're not talking a month.
Three weeks.
Two weeks.
You're talking one week - you're rounding up a posse and putting a bounty on him.

If that isn't being up tight, I don't know what is?

You're giving the guy a bad rap and image without knowing for sure. ... Is that hard to understand?

We didn't know that merklesboner won a card from a guy from the State of Washington, it could have been Florida. ... still, no reason to get your violin strings in an uproar.

I'm sure that other people have gone through a similar experience, I know that I have.
In my case after 3 or 4 weeks of sending e-mails to the seller for an invoice, I chalked it off as dealing with a deadbeat.
No sense bringing eBay into it, they're deadbeats also.

I don't know, at least I hope so, your situation might be different.
From what I'm reading Sears sounds legit, and there might be an unknown factor for the delay.

As for my being a low key - soft spoken mild mannered reporter.

I prefer that image not only in public, but by choice.

However, one must always remember the saying that "Still water runs deep."

Touch the wrong nerve, at the wrong time in public, and the still waters will become a Tidal Wave.

Amigo Scott, visualize if you will a tidal wave against someone that might not be on top of the subject matter being discussed.
Let's go one step further and go into the third dimensional aspects.
I'm not talking physical now, I'm talking getting rid of the luxury of the delay tape response.
The beauty of the eyeball to eyeball verbal debate is that there is no tape delay to think about your response.
You have to be on top of your game.
Only an inexperience debater would consider still water and serenity as a sign of weakness.

I hope you get your card, and Sears name be cleared.

Joe P.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: matthew sears

Scott-

I just flew in from San Francisco this morning, I did send you an eBay invoice after the auction but it must not have gotten to you?

[edited]

Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I don't think asking Does anyone know t216kotton (Matthew Sears)? I won a card from him a week ago and have gotten no invoice or response to emails, constitutes putting up the wooden cross and going for the nails or rounding up a posse and putting a bounty on him. Looks to me like Scott simply asked if anyone knew him and stated he hasn't gotten an invoice or replies to emails. I must have missed the part in his post about getting the cross and nails or for that matter, any bad remarks he made about the person. Since when did asking a simple question mean he was accusing the guy of anything. Simply stated, I guess I just missed where anybody dirtied anyone's name. Looks like he just asked if any members have dealt with him. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I see it here all the time. At least he didn't call him Tony.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

As someone who is used to having his website and even Email crash, I can make a pretty good case that this forum actually serves very well as a method of getting a hold of someone. As well it should be - this is a community after all. I've seen situations like this before where someone began a thread asking a member to contact them because they either didn't know a person's Email address or for some reason couldn't contact them through it. A surefire way to get ahold of your peers is another benefit this forum has provided. Although I'm almost positive that now that I've plugged the forum's stability to one and all....it's almost certain to crash itself any day now

Old 09-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

....and as computers don't like great heat any better than people--mine's been giving me no end of grief-- be sure to turn it OFF when you're not using it (I know, it's a pain!)

And fergod'ssake, don't start a fight over nothin' Hey, pick on me. here I am...

Old 09-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

if you want to divert the negative vibes your way, just post some pics of your cards. Just kidding. I am one of the ones that loves looking at your cards. In many cases they are cards I have not seen. Why don't we all just play nice and trade some baseball cards.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

Old 09-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Administrator

I'll get payment right out.

Like I said, I know Joe P., he's a real pleasure to talk with (you have to love anyone who carries complete t205 and t206 sets around in a note-book). I'm certain he's got no axe to grind with me and probably some of his posts are just very witty and beyond my comprehension - no big deal.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Scott,

In regards to Joe P. carrying around sets of T-205 & T- 206's in notebooks, I am curious, does Joe have a T-206 Wagner, as well?

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 09-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

The "P" in Joe P. stands for "Polo Grounds" ... he is one of our true "vintage" card collectors (with the word "vintage" describing BOTH the cards AND the collector himself)!

Joe P. is definitely a good guy.

Runscott is definitely a good guy.

Matt Sears is definitely a good guy.

All is good.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Administrator

First of all, Scott is absolutely right.
I have no ax to grind with him.
As a matter of fact, I support his projects.
I will support anyone that adds to my hobby.

My response to this thread was based on the original Title and opening statements of this thread that was deleted and adjusted to a more proper presentation.
That's the part that Chris missed when he came in the middle of the movie.

Simply stated, I felt that the original was unjustifiably and unfairly slanted towards the unknown factors of the seller. ... it was only a week.
Mind you, this is coming from a buyer, (me) and I took the stand of defending an unknown seller.
Mind you #2, coming from a buyer that's dealth with deadbeat sellers.
Was I looking for fairplay? .... Nah!

Now for the fun part, and also for the sake of Clarity.

A question to all collectors/speculators on this
board.

Is there anyone else on this board that calls a very hard covered 3 ring binder - loaded with 18 slot tobacco pages - A notebook?

Scotty, I luv man, It was great meeting you and Cy at the Chantilly show - hit us with another cameo appearance.

Now B4 anyone gets the idea that I go around shows toting my T206 - T205 notebook with me.
Let me remind you that I grew up in Spanish Harlem during the latter part of the depression and the '40'S.
I guess what I'm trying to say is:
I couldn't have procured a better toe's in the ground education from the Lawrenceville School, or M.I.T. ... but it would have been nice.

Now here's the story on how the Notebook got to the Chantilly show and Cy's & Scotts hands.

I go to about 35 - 40 Potomac Cannons minor league games here in Virginia with a buddy that's not a card collector.
He's a lobbyist In DC and Richmond and has other heavylike things on his mind.
He is however a sportsfan, and I told him about tobacco cards.
He lives near the Chantilly Expo Center, and I just brought the cards over to pay him a visit.
From there I went to the show and was not about to leave the cards in the car.
The best part was the pleasure of seeing the mug shots of Cy & Scott, two of the usual suspects from our notorius forum.
---------------------
Adam J. Moraine

Hello Adam, In answer to your question about the Wagner.
No - I don't own the second hardest card of the T206 set.
In 1990 I set out on a plan to complete the set, but it didn't work out, and that's another story.
"The Big One", the Slow Joe Doyle league designator error card, and the Plank & Magie from the "Big Three", were in a safety deposit box that day.
The rest of the set was there to seen by Cy & Scott.
The set is ungraded and has great eye appeal.
Needless to say, I'm proud of it.

Having said that, the set that I really feel closer to is the T206 set that I started out with.
That set has grown to about 490 something.
It is made up of some cards that would give the appearance that they were loved by every tobacco card collector that ever lived.
When I started it, the idea was to see how many NYC team players I can get.
Any grades will do.
Who the hell in their right mind would entertain the idea of collecting the whole damn set?
You gotta be kiddin.

I told this to Harvey, here at Chumley's Rest, and he orders another Martini.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Joe P. is OK after all.

In fact ... it sounds like he may think that the Giants have a game at the Polo Grounds THIS AFTERNOON ... and Harvey is going to hop over there with him to catch it.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max

Hal

As I recall Harvey, he was a hirsute big eared fellow, well over six feet tall and might have played about the same time as that utility infielder outfielder Jimmy Stewart. Quite elusive to track down his career stats.

(It's also one of Jennifer's favorites...)

Max

Old 09-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrator

So it's off to Central Park for Harvey and I.

It was a beautiful Sunday early afternoon in 1944.
We're sitting on a park bench just inside of the Fifth Ave and 99th St entrance to the Park.
To the right and rear of us, we find a childrens playground, equipped with swings, slides, see/saw's, sandbox and monkeybars.
To the left and right of us we see a string of park bench's that are part of a walk that encircles a huge meadow/lawn.
On the upper right hand side of the park bench's, as you look over towards the top end of the meadow, you will see a group of large rocks.
These rocks are climbable, and you will see striates on them.
They are part of a terminal, or lateral moraine that were deposited by the last ice age.

My eye's backtrack to the large meadow in front of me.
There was this guy out there to the right of me hitting some fungo's to some kids on the left of me.
I did a double take, zero'd in on the guy - looked over at Harvey - he was busy with his refreshment - (thank God the kids can't see him) - and I asked.

"Isn't that Phil Weintraub?"

Harvey looks up - nods - and takes another sip.

Only in New York City.