NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-09-2023, 04:50 PM
MJ

Default Items stolen during Fedex delivery

I ran into an unfortunate event today. I overnighted a rookie era Gretzky autograph on the 79 opc card and a Tom Brady first superbowl autographed ticket to PSA yesterday, but PSA refused to accept the package because the package was tampered, and it was opened with missing content inside. I have few questions

1. I already filed a claim at Fedex. Should I go to my local police station to file a police report too? Or file a report at PSA's nearby police station?

2. Is there a website to report stolen sports cards and memorbilia? They are in BVG holder with serial number

3. I tried to insure to the market value yesterday with Fedex, but they can only insure them up to $1000. In the future, are there any 3rd party insurance carrier that specialize in sports cards/memorbilia?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fedex.jpg (69.1 KB, 626 views)
Old 08-09-2023, 06:55 PM
Mike Rozanc

I hope your items turn up. For future reference, USPS registered mail can insure up to $50k.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default man thats bad

Can you post photos here? Many people would help be on the lookout for these unusual items..... please include the holders with serial numbers ....

Last edited by NiceDocter; 08-09-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-09-2023, 09:59 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Very sorry to hear of your trouble...what a headache! Honestly, I can't believe this kind of stuff doesn't happen more regularly. Everyone who works in any delivery service capacity where PSA is located has to know that every package that passes through there is basically a big old box of valuables. Hope you get a positive resolution.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:22 PM

Sorry to hear about this. It's a terrible situation and it's tough to imagine how this would have happened given the extensive tracking that is done these days by shippers.

We lost a family heirloom (my mom's engagement ring) when it was sent from one jeweler to another to modify it into a necklace. Since it was sent by the jeweler (not using your shipper though) rather than us, the jeweler that sent it had to file the claim, and she reported it to the police that were in the city of the hub in which our package was compromised. She also called all pawn shops in the city to put them on alert, but the thinking is that when it comes to jewelry, it was probably out of the city by that time.

It's crazy that someone tried to deliver a compromised package without reporting it as having been compromised. It's also crazy but not surprising that shippers don't even want to expend effort to figure out what really happened. True, they sometimes do internal searches. But in our case, the claim filed by the jeweler was closed within a week, although we know that the theft likely occurred in the hub facility itself, which should have video monitors covering every square inch of the facility.

Good luck with your claim and search.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:53 AM
Kevin O'Gara

It's a big thing these days to steal mail right out of mailboxes and packages. I wouldn't ship anything anymore. You want it come get it

Last edited by khkco4bls; 08-10-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:21 AM

Default Theft of items

MJ- I am sorry this has happened. It's absurd to think that customers will
simply "come and get it" in California, you need some practical direction. I
will do my best:

1) Yes, report to the LE jurisdiction in which you live. I would specifically
request an in-person response, not a phone report. Be ready with all
serial numbers and descriptions, and be sure to get a copy of the report.
You may also run into an officer who claims "it's not our jurisdiction". If
that happens, request that officer's supervisor and do your best to get a
report actually filed.

2) I'd try the same with the LE of jurisdiction where PSA is located.

3) I know of no public database with stolen sports items, I am sorry.

4) Fedex is horrible and does not care. I assume you made a claim over
their wonderful toll free number. Call them back and ask for the
warehouse manager where your package went, to call you directly. They
will not give you a warehouse phone number to call the manager, they
guard those numbers like they are Fort Knox. I'd make the
manager specifically aware so they can at least know the problem may
be inside their own walls.

5) If you have images and want to share them here, it's not a bad idea.
Lots of savvy collectors on net54, the more eyes the better.

These ideas will take time to complete- it sounds like those items are worth
the time.

Trent King
Old 08-10-2023, 08:59 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sorry to hear MJ

Those are some great items. Other recapped it well.

Just send some pictures so we can keep an eye out in case they try to resell.

Not sure how much the police can help or not but worth a try and FedEx should open an investigation since it was in their system when it happened so they should be able to track it internally with their people that might have been in contact with it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-10-2023, 09:04 AM
MJ

These 2 items were shipped to PSA and since the package
was compromised and PSA refused to accept it, I assumed they
were stolen.

Last edited by ichieh; 08-14-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:39 AM

One thing I learned about UPS.... if you drop it off at a UPS shipping location you are only insured for a max of $1000 regardless of how much you put on it, but if they come for pickup at your residence it covers more. I learned that to the tune of $1700 recently :/
Old 08-10-2023, 12:28 PM
MJ

Do you know any insurance carrier that will cover lost/damages during shipping?
Old 08-10-2023, 03:11 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Collectibles Insurance Service will insure shipments as part of a policy. USPS Registered up to $50k.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:05 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Collectibles Insurance Service will insure shipments as part of a policy. USPS Registered up to $50k.
I use this place as well. I think the coverage can vary by the type of policy you have. I mainly got CIS for the shipment protection and almost secondary was the coverage against fire and theft.

Last edited by philo98; 08-10-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:47 PM
John E.

Ugh...so so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm still reeling over a bat that UPS "lost" for me last year, so I know the feeling.

I hope your items turn up and make their way back to you.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:01 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Ups,usps there stealing mail left and right. Never send a birthday card because it probably won't get to where it's going
Old 08-12-2023, 06:01 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow some great items. So to hear this.

Any update from Fedex

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-12-2023, 06:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.tiffanycards.com/altered...atabase/stolen

Here's a place to log it. But you should also create an account at Beckett.com (if you don't already have one) and add the cert number to your registry in case someone else tries to claim it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:14 PM
MJ

Thank you. Still waiting to hear from Fedex what to do next. Very frustrated
Old 08-13-2023, 04:31 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichieh View Post
Thank you. Still waiting to hear from Fedex what to do next. Very frustrated
Yeah, #1 is to not use FEDEX for collectibles unless you insure separately. But it looks like you've already learned that.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:23 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

So, this is an inside job? Someone sees the address and knows there are possibly valuable items in there and gets lucky enough to land a Gretzky rookie? Jeez…terrible.

Reading this and the Matty getting ripped off at the National really gives me pause.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:59 AM
d.ean

That sucks.

Clearly it is very easy for someone to compromise a package and take possession of the contents. Packages heading to or from PSA are easy pickings and could result in a nice payday. When shipping mailers like the compromised package in the thread, I will now reinforce the edges and cover the seals with heavy duty tape, to leave no doubt it was an inside deliberate job.

In my early 20's, I landed a part time job at the local UPS warehouse for the upcoming holiday season. The size of the operation was mind boggling as in how a package arrives at your front door. The rules were don't touch anything that was open. Box opens and spills all over the floor, leave it alone and keep sorting. The story was told about the employee who pinched jerseys on the way to Redskins park. After working at UPS, I fathomed that the USPS was UPS times 10. I fully understood the phrase "going postal" and how fruitless it was to write "fragile" or "this end up" or "handle with care" on a package.

Anyway, the majority of employees do their job and go home. Sadly, there will always be a certain element who will take advantage of a situation to make some cash on the side. Until there is a chronic problem, given the sheer volume, it is easier to payoff the claim then investigate and prosecute.

Last edited by Huck; 08-13-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:08 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

I think PSA used to recommend using only USPS registered mail. This is probably the most secure way to ship something minus hand deliver yourself. FedEx is rife with thieves and has been known for quite sometime in the SoCal area. When I see something being delivered FedEx to me I absolutely dread it. UPS is just incompetent and is USPS but I usually don’t worry about getting my items. They all have theft but FedEx is exponentially more and they do nothing about it. This is thousands of dollars worth of merchandise too. Anyhow, there is somewhat of a stolen card database at Tiffanycards.com. It’s not his main deal but he has a small database. He may be able to help get it out there to a bigger crowd if you email the guy on his site. I hope it turns up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2023, 05:48 PM
MJ

Latest update from Fedex. They found the package along with the contents inside, and shipped them back to me. Miraculously, both the Gretzky OPC RC card and the Brady autographed Superbowl ticket were found and shipped back to me. Super happy about this most optimal outcome. No need to file a police report or a Fedex claim
Old 08-14-2023, 06:10 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Im confused

Wait a minute , I’m confused. What is that picture of the empty opened package in the first post? And what was found that was returned to you? In any event I’m happy the cards were found….
Old 08-14-2023, 07:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Amazing. But get collector's insurance for the future ones (or use USPS registered mail).
Old 08-15-2023, 12:13 AM
MJ

The items were miraculously sent back to me today, after I already gave up my hope to ever see them again. I don't know how, and I am just grateful that the items were returned back to me. The only thing that I lost was the shipping cost, which is a small price to pay to get the items back.
Old 08-15-2023, 12:19 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Wait a minute , I’m confused. What is that picture of the empty opened package in the first post? And what was found that was returned to you? In any event I’m happy the cards were found….
What Rocky Said..

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 08-15-2023, 07:02 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Sorry to hear

I had a very similar situation happen a couple of years ago - client sent me a 1961 Topps set - completely autographed - Fedex priority overnight. By the time it got to me less than 18 hours later, the box had been opened, a page of cards with the Clemente and Hornsby removed, resealed and delivered. Went all the way up to the CEO's office - "sorry, $1K is the most Fedex pays for a "collectible" claim". Never again.

As already mentioned - Collectibles Insurance Services for private insurance - be sure to discuss options for coverage through the mail. Alternatively also as mentioned - USPS registered mail can be insured up to $50K.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:17 AM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichieh View Post
The items were miraculously sent back to me today, after I already gave up my hope to ever see them again. I don't know how, and I am just grateful that the items were returned back to me. The only thing that I lost was the shipping cost, which is a small price to pay to get the items back.
So glad to hear it!