NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default Hurricane Katrina

Posted By: Darren J. Duet MD

Hello board,

Our home is devastated, have been working around the clock. The scenes here are surreal. Not alot of time for cards now, my collection is safe. I assure those of you I have outstanding deals with, they will be completed in due time.

We are without primary power, clean water, and for the most part stable communications. Thousands need relief.

I'll be absent for a bit,
darren

Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Our thoughts are with you and the rest.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for the note. Don't worry about cards...life's more important. Our prayers and thoughts will be with you.....warm regards

Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

That's great to hear that your safe Doctor and take care what you have to as the collecting world will be here when you return.

While the storm simply brushed me, I am devistated at what I see with the 24/7 images on my TV. Two of my best friends live in New Orleans and haven't heard about their status. The whole thing is simply so depressing.

I was watching Anderson Cooper on CNN on Wednesday night and he was telling the tale of a father and son who boarded up their home and refused to leave. They both drowned as their home was engulfed in twenty feet of water. Their neighbor said that they refused to leave their house because they feared of their home being looted. The father and son had one of the finest salt and pepper shaker collections in the country.

DJ

Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The scenes out of NO this week are Dante-esque, to say the least. We have long feared and prepared for an earthquake-related event of similar scope out here and it is therefore quite alien to us to see people without significant stashes of food, water, batteries, flashlights, radios, matches, etc., running into sports stadiums and fighting over scraps in the streets. As a veteran of two major earthquakes (Loma Prieta in 89 and Northridge in 94) plus the Rodney King riots, I can say that we are prepared for a disaster. My family could weather 2-3 weeks of complete lack of food, electricity, goods and services hunkering down at our place...not even taking into account the arsenal of anti-looting "devices" we own and will use to keep the cards safe .

Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

So glad to hear you guys are well! I will do my best to get this Auction off the ground! Regards to you and your family and just glad to hear you are safe! I'm off to Miami (a 4 hour car ride!)

Take Care

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The devastation and the subsequent fallout from the storm is beyond comprehension. Sometimes I get depressed and feel the world is coming to an end. Whoever was affected by it I wish you some peace of mind and the strength to find a way to cope with it. It won't be easy.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian

God Bless all of you, i only hope that you will stay safe. You all are in our thoughts and prayers

Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

It's plain sad. I wish I lived closer so that I could physically help out with the situation. I get the feeling that if we called it a Tsunami and pretended it were somewhere else, those folks would have gotten their aid by now. Where are all the Hollywood celebrities pledging their million dollar donations? What about the other countries that came forward?

Not to say that it's anyone elses responsibility, but these folks need help. It's the human thing to do.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

You are definitely one of the "good guys" - I just thank God that you and your family are well! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out.

Makes one wonder why we couldn't have fixed the levies to withstand more force instead of wasting billions each year on other countries!?!? Sure, it is nice to help others. However, as the old adage goes......If we do not help ourselves, who will?

Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Darren;

My best wishes to you and your family, glad to hear you’re ok. I hope everything goes smoothly to bring some normalcy back to you and your family’s life. Best of luck and take care.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

There was simply no way to predict that this was going to be this brutal. The land has been so safe for 100's of years...now this.

This is without question the most horrifying thing I have seen in my lifetime. This is of Sudanese proportion.

I have a ton of fear at what's next up.

Bin Laden has been too quiet and it's impossible to protect this great land of any kind of chemical attack. Another Hurricane? Earthquake? Bombings?

Sorry for this, it's still on my TV, fresh on my mind and I have no idea where several of my friends are at this moment.

DJ

Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyle

We are all touched by the news from that part of the country ... I'm glad you can maintain a positive attitude .Thanks for letting your friends know how you're doing . Take care .

Old 09-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

Brett Favre and Steve McNair together spent $500K to rent trucks, fill them with supplies, and send them down for relief efforts.

Warrick Dunn has begun an effort to try to get each NFL player to commit $5000 to the relief efforts. So far, he has gotten $260K in pledges from his team (the Falcons).

Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Good luck Darren! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Darren:

Glad to hear that you and yours are doing OK.

I think the US government dropped the ball on this one. They had plenty of time to prepare for what might occur and just didn't do it. To take as long as they did to get something started towards rescue efforts was shameful.

Lots of sports people are pitching in big-time (the Yankees organization has pledged a million and the Manning brothers have a plane load of non-perishable supplies on the way), but everyone should do what then can.

It's going to be a tough couple of months for the Saints and all their fans.

Kevin

Old 09-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

We have restored primary power, and we are receiving New Orleans residents on a daily basis. We have set up shelters in our civic centers. Our hospital is above capacity and these patients have many special needs.

We are housed, clean, and healthy. There are hundreds of people here going beyond the call of duty. Despite the destruction and devastation there is overall a positive feeling.

Thank you to all who have sent aid, money, and/or prayers.

Later,
Darren