NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 PM
Ron V

Default November Pickups

I guess I'll start November off with these two pieces. A 1958 LA Dodgers home schedule banner that came from a vendor in the area. Also picked up a GoodYear military negro league team photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0687 (1).jpg (203.9 KB, 1024 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0688.jpg (195.9 KB, 1006 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 05:49 PM
Scott

Great start to the pickups Ronnie
Old 11-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Rick

Never seen that banner before, I'm quite jealous! Very nice pick-up.

Rick
Old 11-07-2022, 07:47 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Got this cool Yogi Yoo-hoo cup was listed as 60s but I think maybe early 70s. Dating it seems near impossible.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 11-07-2022 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed post.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:44 PM
Chris Counts

This is likely smallest thing I've ever bought on eBay — it measures only 3/4 of an inch. Not only does it feature one of the coolest Tiger mascots I've seen, but it appears to have come from an active war zone. When I tracked it online, I discovered that it was shipped from Dnipro, Ukraine on Oct. 23. The city was targeted by Russian missiles at least twice in the previous two weeks. I tracked the package online, and after it reached Odessa, it fell off the radar for about 10 days before popping up in Jamaica, New York. Two days later, it arrived in my post office box.

These pins were part of a Detroit Free Press promotion in 1935 when the Tigers won the World Series. "Iffy" penned a column in the newspaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 iffy club pin.jpg (97.8 KB, 920 views)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Got this cool Yogi Yoo-hoo cup was listed as 60s but I think maybe early 70s. Dating it seems near impossible.

I agree with 60's in fact early 60's. By 65 Yogi was a Met. And late 60's early 70's had the 7-11 cups. I think the style of plastic cup you would expect from the 70's era would be more like the 7-11 cups vs the style of cup you have.
Jmho
Jonathan
Old 11-10-2022, 07:30 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I agree with 60's in fact early 60's. By 65 Yogi was a Met. And late 60's early 70's had the 7-11 cups. I think the style of plastic cup you would expect from the 70's era would be more like the 7-11 cups vs the style of cup you have.
Jmho
Jonathan
Makes sense to me. Didn't take that simple fact into account. Facepalm. Thanks Jonathan.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 11-11-2022, 06:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
This is likely smallest thing I've ever bought on eBay — it measures only 3/4 of an inch. Not only does it feature one of the coolest Tiger mascots I've seen, but it appears to have come from an active war zone. When I tracked it online, I discovered that it was shipped from Dnipro, Ukraine on Oct. 23. The city was targeted by Russian missiles at least twice in the previous two weeks. I tracked the package online, and after it reached Odessa, it fell off the radar for about 10 days before popping up in Jamaica, New York. Two days later, it arrived in my post office box.

These pins were part of a Detroit Free Press promotion in 1935 when the Tigers won the World Series. "Iffy" penned a column in the newspaper.
Love it!

So awful what is happening in Ukraine.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:59 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Some amazing items.

nothing for me this month

But keep them coming everyone

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-11-2022, 07:26 AM
Guy Bourque

Not a new purchase but just got my Jarry Stadium seats (Expos 1969-1976) back from putting legs on them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 314377273_10229121393367468_8521696957954666011_n.jpg (160.7 KB, 848 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 10:45 AM
Paul Lehr

My lone November pickup so far. c.1918-21 Charles Conlon photo of Stuffy McInnis. Technically won in October but delivered in November.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1918-21StuffyMcInnis.jpg (23.9 KB, 838 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 02:37 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Picked up a super hard to find Davega catalog with Lou on the back.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 11-11-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

Awesome! Really love Sporting Goods Catalogs from the 1930s and older. Now you just need to find a pair of those cleats to match the Catalog image!
Old 11-11-2022, 06:02 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Awesome! Really love Sporting Goods Catalogs from the 1930s and older. Now you just need to find a pair of those cleats to match the Catalog image!
I actually know someone who has the shoes and the box with the label. It's beautiful

Old 11-12-2022, 02:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I actually know someone who has the shoes and the box with the label. It's beautiful
Oh, that's cool. You often see the DiMaggio endorsed cleats New-In-Box, but don't think I've ever seen the Gehrig Cleats.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:20 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Oh, that's cool. You often see the DiMaggio endorsed cleats New-In-Box, but don't think I've ever seen the Gehrig Cleats.
He bought these early this year.
https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...m=92&lot_qual=

Old 11-13-2022, 08:24 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Picked up a super hard to find Davega catalog with Lou on the back. Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
What an interesting piece! Is there a date on it? This would seem to date the demise of D&M. Not a huge expert on these thingss, but don't think I've heard of Davega before, despite their claim to be the country's biggest sports outfitter. Would love to be able to read some of the names of the endorsed gloves, mitts, and bats. Anyone know if there's a relation between Davega and the Athco cleats someone posted? So much to digest here.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:23 PM
edward

Wikipedia has an article on Davega Stores, located in New York apparently.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:12 AM
Chris Counts

I just picked up this wonderful photo of the 1944 Senators — I'd been watching it on eBay for years as a BIN, and the seller finally auctioned it with a low minimum bid. It's filled with an interesting assortment of war-time fill-ins, including a few players from Latin America (Mike Guerra, Alex Carrasquel, Roberto Ortiz). There are also some great old-timers as manager and coaches (Ossie Bluege, Nick Altrock, George Uhle and Clyde Milan), along with HOFer Rick Ferrell, the ill-fated Jake Powell and a very early Early Wynn. The billboards in Griffith Stadium make a great backdrop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44 senators.jpg (190.7 KB, 580 views)

Last edited by Chris Counts; 11-18-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Paul Lehr

That's a great photo, Chris!
Old 11-18-2022, 09:47 AM

Nice photo. George Case was from where I grew up and had a sporting goods store. As an aside he was related to the Case’s pork roll family.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:27 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I just picked up this wonderful photo of the 1944 Senators — I'd been watching it on eBay for years as a BIN, and the seller finally auctioned it with a low minimum bid. It's filled with an interesting assortment of war-time fill-ins, including a few players from Latin America (Mike Guerra, Alex Carrasquel, Roberto Ortiz). There are also some great old-timers as manager and coaches (Ossie Bluege, Nick Altrock, George Uhle and Clyde Milan), along with HOFer Rick Ferrell, the ill-fated Jake Powell and a very early Early Wynn. The billboards in Griffith Stadium make a great backdrop.
Chris I had same photo. I got it from a board member who bought it as part of items from Dutch Leonard's estate. I thought it was 43 based on players. It looked good on my wall for a few years and I sold mine on BST. Such a great photo..with alot of tough signatures. Enjoy it.
J
Old 11-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Jamie

Super excited to grab this on Heritage tonight.1927 Yankees Team Cosmo .jpg

1927 Yankees Team photo back.jpg

Goes with my ticket and program collection from 1927 WS.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 11-18-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:48 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

My Olympic club collector's show was in Colorado Springs the first weekend of November. Despite publicizing it our show rarely attracts anyone off of the street. Being in Colorado Springs, home of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, Training Center and Museum we did expect more than normal. During the show one of the other members came up to me and started looking for an autograph. He asked me to come to his table. A woman was standing there. She said her grandfather, Ben Eastman, competed in the 1932 Olympics. I knew who he was as I had written him in the early 1990's. He won a silver medal in the 400m. I told her I had the cover of the 1932 Time magazine he was on signed by him and I would send it to her for free. I also have a number of photos I could scan and email to her. She said she would come back the next day. She came to my table the next day with two boxes. One had a 6' x 8' Olympic flag, presumably from the 1932 games. She showed me a photo of it in a frame on her wall. It looks like she went through quite a bit to get it down.

The other box was his wool warmup suit from the 1932 Olympics. She gave me the box and said she wanted me to have it. She appreciated my knowledge and enthusiasm and knew I would enjoy having it. Strangely, she had contacted the Olympic Museum years ago and they did not respond to her. The archivist, a Parlympic medalist and two time winner of the NY City Marathon wheelchair division, said they did not have one and would gladly display it if I would loan it to them. I want to enjoy having it in my possession for now. Perhaps I will loan it to them in the future.

Here are some photos. It is almost navy blue and made by Spalding. My camera was being stubborn so no good photos of the tagging. The zippers on the pants still work perfectly. I am also including a photo of the Reemstma card that shows him wearing it. He is on the right. The photo of the box is how it will be stored. That is an archival, metal edge box. The two pieces are folded in unbuffered tissue and there a desiccant cannister inside. When covered the box will be placed in a polyethylene bag.

1932-suit-6.jpg

1932-suit-2.jpg

1932-suit-3.jpg

1932-suit-4.jpg

Eastman-5.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-20-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:09 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
My Olympic club collector's show was in Colorado Springs the first weekend of November. Despite publicizing it our show rarely attracts anyone off of the street. Being in Colorado Springs, home of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, Training Center and Museum we did expect more than normal. During the show one of the other members came up to me and started looking for an autograph. He asked me to come to his table. A woman was standing there. She said her grandfather, Ben Eastman, competed in the 1932 Olympics. I knew who he was as I had written him in the early 1990's. He won a silver medal in the 400m. I told her I had the cover of the 1932 Time magazine he was on signed by him and I would send it to her for free. I also have a number of photos I could scan and email to her. She said she would come back the next day. She came to my table the next day with two boxes. One had a 6' x 8' Olympic flag, presumably from the 1932 games. She showed me a photo of it in a frame on her wall. It looks like she went through quite a bit to get it down.

The other box was his wool warmup suit from the 1932 Olympics. She gave me the box and said she wanted me to have it. She appreciated my knowledge and enthusiasm and knew I would enjoy having it. Strangely, she had contacted the Olympic Museum years ago and they did not respond to her. The archivist, a Parlympic medalist and two time winner of the NY City Marathon wheelchair division, said they did not have one and would gladly display it if I would loan it to them. I want to enjoy having it in my possession for now. Perhaps I will loan it to them in the future.

Here are some photos. It is almost navy blue and made by Spalding. My camera was being stubborn so no good photos of the tagging. The zippers on the pants still work perfectly. I am also including a photo of the Reemstma card that shows him wearing it. He is on the right. The photo of the box is how it will be stored. That is an archival, metal edge box. The two pieces are folded in unbuffered tissue and there a desiccant cannister inside. When covered the box will be placed in a polyethylene bag.

Attachment 543311

Attachment 543312

Attachment 543313

Attachment 543315

Attachment 543314
Now I don't collect Olympic items, but that is unbelievably spectacular. To have that survive for so long is crazy. Congrats.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Now I don't collect Olympic items, but that is unbelievably spectacular. To have that survive for so long is crazy. Congrats.

Agreed! Congrats on this amazing pickup, Michael.
I would say that these historic artifacts have landed in exactly the right hands.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:07 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:

Not a recent pick up but prewar Davega items dont show up often. This is a 1938 Schedule for all 3 NY teams as well as the Jersey city Giants and The 1938 "Wonder Bears" it also advertise the Four Minute Crossing into NY via the Tunnells and Bridges. LOL for any who have traveled them recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221120_160507.jpg (215.3 KB, 473 views)
Old 11-21-2022, 08:57 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Mark and Scott,

Thank you for the kind words. Many of the members of my group, much like some collectors in the major four sports, do not appreciate the history of the game(s). They are happy with their pins, medals and programs, but little else. I consider myself to be fortunate to be the caretaker of such an item.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-22-2022, 08:54 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Some new photos for me recently - sorry for the big images; they are normal sized on my PC...

an early shot of Joe McGinnity

Frank Chance as manager of the 1923 Red Sox, his last appearance in a ML uniform before his death a year later

Grover Alexander returning from WW1 in 1918

An early photo of Frank Frisch as a member of the NY Giants and

Amos Rusie playing the field in a shot from what I believe is from a 1921 reunion of old NY Giants players in which Rusie appeared
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcg.jpg (194.6 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 chance.jpg (178.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 1918 grover.jpg (193.8 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg 22frusch.jpg (195.3 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg rusie.jpg (167.6 KB, 360 views)

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 11-22-2022, 10:38 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
Some new photos for me recently - sorry for the big images; they are normal sized on my PC...

an early shot of Joe McGinnity

Frank Chance as manager of the 1923 Red Sox, his last appearance in a ML uniform before his death a year later

Grover Alexander returning from WW1 in 1918

An early photo of Frank Frisch as a member of the NY Giants and

Amos Rusie playing the field in a shot from what I believe is from a 1921 reunion of old NY Giants players in which Rusie appeared
My oh my, those are fantastic images.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Super excited to grab this on Heritage tonight.Attachment 543144

Attachment 543145

Goes with my ticket and program collection from 1927 WS.
Outstanding!
Old 11-23-2022, 04:40 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Joe McGinnity what's up with those spikes... good lord

Last edited by khkco4bls; 11-23-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:08 PM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
Ha I just noticed those now - he could aerate the field with those things

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 11-24-2022, 06:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Maybe he had longer cleats (not spikes) made, helping him in some way or at least he thought so. Those look to be about twice as long as regular cleats.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:23 PM

Grabbed these for $10 each today.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:40 PM
Gary

Quote:
He bought these early this year.
https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...m=92&lot_qual=

Wow. Those are seriously cool.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:55 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
It may be similar to track cleats that were used on dirt or cinder tracks. There are different lengths of the pointed spikes depending on what you did. Shorter ones for longer distances, high jump, pole vault and longer ones for sprinters, javelin. The longer ones may be good for stealing bases. Those big squared off spikes may be good for digging in to get a good jump while stealing

Last edited by Michael B; 11-26-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:06 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Program for the gold medal basketball game at the 1936 Olympics.
36 basketball 1.jpg

36 baskeball 2.jpg

Program for the demonstration baseball game at the 1936 Olympics
36 baseball 3.jpg

36 baseball 4.jpg

The manager for the World Champions (weltmeister) was former major leaguer Les Mann.

Ticket to the game and the Pet. Cremer card showing the two catchers: Harry Stark Wagnon and Norman Livermore, Jr. (1911-2006). Livermore went to Stanford. Served in the Navy in WWII. Participated in the amphibious landings in Sicily, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He served in Governor Ronald Regan's cabinet for both his terms at State Secretary of Resources.

36 baseball 6.jpg

36 baseball 7.jpg
Real photo postcard of the stadium cancelled at the stadium on August 12, the date of the baseball game. The message: "I hope you enjoy the baseball match as much as I do!! Ha-ha. Love ? & Phil. It appears Phil may have sent it to himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 baseball 2.jpg (193.0 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by Michael B; 11-26-2022 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:12 PM
Ron V

Picked up this photo featuring a nice Wright & Ditson uniform and a Jimmie Ripple Krens bat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (200.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0764.jpg (198.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (199.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:03 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Jimmy Ripple bat!