NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1898 Princeton Photo Yearbook - about to hit the chop shop?

This beautiful 1898 Princeton photo yearbook recently sold on ebay for $488. It contains cardboard pages, each with two albumens mounted - imperial size prints. Pach Brothers also created imperial-size cabinets (real ones) using the same images - these go for good money.

Recently a similar 1897 Yale photo yearbook was 'parted out' - the cardboard photo pages cut in half, each piece sold as if it were a natural cabinet card.

Deplorable.

I sincerely hope that whoever won this 1898 Princeton album does not do the same thing. It would be different if it were one of the Pach albums that was created with real mounted cabinet cards, but the 1897 Yale one wasn't, and either is this 1898 Princeton.

1898 Princeton Photo Yearbook

Here's what one of the board-backed pages of two albumen prints looks like prior to being chopped down and sold as individual cabinet cards:

There should be a limit to what we destroy in order to make a buck.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Never saw this one, wish I would have though to ensure keeping it in tact!!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
GaryPassamonte

I'm with you 100%, Scott.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I sincerely hope that it stays intact, but every time I see individual pages from old Reach and Spalding guides being sold, I have a little less faith in the rational thinking of collectors these days. So few of these kinds of things have survived to present day, the idea of cutting one up should be universally deplorable. To me, it's akin to using baby panda pelts to make house shoes because sure, synthetic material is soft on your feet, but panda fur is really soft.

On second thought, even that isn't accurate, because you can sometimes get pandas to make new babies. They haven't made this particular yearbook in 115 years, and won't be making any more. Period.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-08-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

It almost assuredly will NOT stay intact - I just checked and the winning bidder is the same guy who chopped the Yale book. Perhaps this thread will discourage him from doing the same with the Princeton book.

My bid did not register, but the number I had in mind was based on the value of the book intact. Like Greg, now I'm wishing I had put in a stronger bid, just to save it from destruction.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 AM

Well since its not hard to see that I am being called out here by Scott (thanks man) I will respond briefly.

Part of what I do is buy old photo albums and separate them out into component parts and sell them. The people who buy photos from me from albums such as "grandmas trip to china" are able to buy particular images and love and appreciate those images and preserve the history of them. I save these albums, research the photos, properly identify them and pass the items along.

Before I get into the album on eBay let me say these are NOT like books and magazines that get "chop shopped". Each individual would order a "standard" book from pach bros but could also customize the books as well. these were made as unique items for specific students with their names engraved on the front. Each page is an albumen cabinet photo (real albumen cabinet photos by the way) with two images glued to a blank cabinet. There are then 2 blank backed cabinet cards that are lightly glued together and tipped into the book with linen. These cabinet photos can easily be separated back to how they were originally produced by the photographer to two blank backed images which can be cut in half to leave two cabinet photos. What is left are two completely original album photos, on their original mounts with the original glue.

Archives, students, museums and all sorts of institutions have been separating these books out for over 100 years. I have bought and sold many on eBay as single images, single pages etc. in the last 4-5 years I have bought maybe 5 of these types of books, and a few have been separated out (most had bad damage to begin with) and others resold intact, and I still have a few. I Personally feel that separating this book out but not destroying a single image (if that is the choice of the owner) provides an opportunity for greater enjoyment of the images that leaving it intact as the same person who wants a track team photo does not want a football photo underneath it etc. I have always left all the class images intact and in the past I have evn donated these to the Universities themselves who were VERY happy to have them.

I was never planning on separating this one out as it appears to one in fine shape but if the original poster wants to put his money where his mouth is and SAVE THIS, from the CHOP SHOP, he can write me a check for the original purchase price plus shipping to his house. Of course he could have just e mailed me privately too, but that would have prevented Network 54 drama what would we all do with ourselves if we didn't have someone pissed off on here every. Few hours right?

If anyone wants to discuss this with me further, offer suggestions or their comments I would always be happy to discuss these topics with anyone. I love antique photography more than anyone on this site and would never "destroy" anything but opinions can differ obviously and I respect any and all opinions on the subject and I am ALWAYS available for e mail conversations and to answer any questions or concerns.

nOTE, I am writing this from an iPad as am away from home so please disregard my DEPLORABLE typing.

Rhys Yeakley

Prewarsports "aka, the deplorable chop shopper of old photo albums"
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Rhys, I am not sure Scott knew it was you who purchased this, but if he passes on the deal, I would love to take you up on it. FWIW, I didn't know it was you who bought it either
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM

It's only Princeton. They don't even have a medical school. Wake me up with its Yale or Harvard.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
GaryPassamonte

Hi, Rhys. My general feeling is that I like to see something that has historical value kept in tact. The 1859 Williams College album comes to mind. I realize I may be talking about apples and oranges here, though. That said, I am as guilty as the next guy because I collect pieces of history ( CdVs) separated from family albums. I guess I should practice what I preach.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Clint

I'm kind of on both sides of this. The Spalding and Reach items don't bother me so much as something that's much rarer like this album. But like Rhys said it may allow a collector to obtain an item of interest without having to pay a much higher price for the complete album. There was a photograph in that Williams album just mentioned that I would be very interested in. I would even pay a decent price for. Unfortunately there is no way I could afford the whole album. If I owned it would I part it out? No, but if it was parted out it wouldn't keep me from going after the one photo I'm interested in. I guess it's like elephant tusks. If people quit buying the ivory people will quit parting out the elephant.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

I stand completely behind my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Well since its not hard to see that I am being called out here by Scott (thanks man) I will respond briefly.
Actually, I initially had no idea that you were the winning bidder. I also had no idea that ANYONE had already chopped up one of these books and was selling it on ebay. Then I started searching and found your Yale items. I considered not posting, but I was pissed off that the same thing occurring with Spalding Baseball Guides was now happening with these historically-significant photo albums, and I wanted to know what other photograph collectors thought about your actions. Personally, I don't see as much (perhaps 'any') issue with parting out the albums that are collections of real cabinet photos, but I think the type that you are chopping up are a bit different. Others may disagree with me, but without posting there isn't really any discussion.

Quote:
I was never planning on separating this one out as it appears to one in fine shape but if the original poster wants to put his money where his mouth is and SAVE THIS, from the CHOP SHOP, he can write me a check for the original purchase price plus shipping to his house. Of course he could have just e mailed me privately too, but that would have prevented Network 54 drama what would we all do with ourselves if we didn't have someone pissed off on here every. Few hours right?
Now you are just deflecting, which I understand.

I put in a good bid (with real money behind it ), for what I thought the item was worth INTACT. I lost. If I had planned on chopping it up, it would have been worth much more to me, and I would have bid accordingly.

It's great to hear that you plan on re-selling it intact.

Quote:
I love antique photography more than anyone on this site and would never "destroy" anything but opinions can differ obviously...
I don't doubt that you have an interest in antique photography - otherwise you would sell things other than photographs.

In retrospect, I do wish I had emailed you instead of posting. But now you know that my opinion wasn't unique, and that bit of information should carry more weight with you.

If it had been me, and I had felt no guilt about what I was doing (or planning to do), I would have just posted a brief response stating that I didn't realize how people felt about this, and that I had no plan to do it in the future. I'm not getting that from your response.