NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default The T216 series....Mino and Virginia Extra

Posted By: leon

We all know how rare the "Peoples" Tobacco Company T216 cards are but why is it the Mino and Virginia Extra are so darn difficult (besides being regionally distributed?) compared to the others? It took me at least 5 yrs to find a decent Virginia Extra and I don't think I see more than 1-2 fair or better ones for sale every 5 yrs.....Mino's seem to be quite a bit less scarce but still seldom seen. Show a Virginia Extra or Mino if you care too.. (ancillary ad pieces would be neat to see too)....best regards

Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

My Virginia Extra has been through some rough days, but you sure don't see many of these around...

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield,WA

Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

LEON

It's quite a paradox that these Tobacco cards were printed using the various E-card fronts. And, why
are these 3 issues so scarce ?
Both these factors can possibly be explained by the People's Tobacco Company, Ltd.(PTC) vs the Am-
erican Tobacco Company (ATC)......litigation that started January 4, 1912. My theory is that the PTC
contracted American Caramel (or it's affiliates) to print their cards.....since, due to this legal conflict,
ATC would not let PTC use the ATC's printing firm (American Lithographic).
Due to this litigation, PTC's three T-brands were short-lived, (hence, very few cards were produced).

And, isn't it very interesting that (Mr anti-cigarette) Wagner is depicted on 4 cards in each of these
three T216 sets.

More identical E-card FRONTS used in the PEOPLE'S TOBACCO COMPANY, Ltd.

T-Rex TED

Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Ted - that is an interesting theory.

I always thought of the ATC as sort of the Starbucks of its time. Monopolize and kill/absorb all of its competitors. I believe that the People's Tobacco Company held out for as long as it could as an independent manufacturer of tobacco, and it suffered for it. To this day there is very little information about the company, and you see virtually nothing on their products from ephemera to advertising.

I think that the low production run of their products coupled with the location of distribution (Louisiana) makes all of their cards extremely difficult to find.

Are any of your cards with the Mino or Virginia Extra back?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

My theory stems from this court case, filed on January 4, 1912.....

PEOPLE'S TOBACCO CO., Limited v. AMERICAN TOBACCO CO.

Argued Jan. 4-7, 1918
Decided March 4, 1918

It appears to be a very complicated case that dragged out for many years, shortly after ATC was disolved in Dec. 1911.
And, I think because it dragged out for many years, it must of limited the production of these three Louisiana T-brands
and the production (or lack of) their T216 cards.

The answer to your last question is that all my cards, that I have posted here, are all E-type cards, whose fronts are
the same as their T216 counterparts.

TED Z

Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

The MINO back gives a clue as to why Peoples Tobacco and Amer. Tobacco were "battling" in court...."NOT IN THE TRUST".

The T216's are one of only three Tobacco issues to include a Plank card (T204 & T206 are the other two).
The same image of Plank, as depicted in the E90-1 set, is printed the KOTTON, MINO, and Viginia Extra cards.

TED Z

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

All I know is I am jealous of all the cards y'all are posting.
JimB

Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Ted - fyi, Plank was also in the T5 and T208 sets.

I have been researching the People's Tobacco Company for some time now and have been looking for T216 related items for years. I managed to pick up a few items related to the company, including what I believe to be the only Mino Cigarettes item known to the hobby. Leon (hi Leon) was kind enough to slap me a couple of times before allowing me to scoop it up. If anyone has ever seen another, please let me know. As far as I know, nothing with the correct Virginia Extra Cigarettes has ever been discovered.

Photobucket

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Wagner was issued in 3 T products: T5, T206 and T216.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Administrator

1st..thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about Plank being in the T5 & T208 sets. Hey, I recently
went to my 50th HS reunion....my mind is getting overloaded.

2nd..A suggestion to you in tracking down Virginia Extra cigarette packs (or related items)....check-out
British ephemera. As is obvious, the brand "Peoples Tobacco Co., Ltd." tells us that it was part of the
British-American Tobacco, Ltd. consortium. Sometime back I saw an item which listed 1919 prices for
exported cigarettes to England, which included Virginia Extra cigarettes sold in Tins containing 1000
cigarettes for 20 Shillings ($2.60). Shipped directly from Gulfport seaports.

TED Z

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Ted - thanks for the tip. From my research, there were several Virginia Extra issues in the 1910-1930 timeframe, at least one related to the American Tobacco Company. Where things were exported to, especially during wartime, is always tough to trace. I still have not found anything related to People's version of VE, although here is one VE issue that may or may not have been exported. This one is from the ATC which can be traced with its reference to "Home Run Cigarettes"

Photobucket

Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

The name "IRBY'S" on your neat VE piece is W. R. Irby....a manager of that Tobacco Co. He is cited in the court
case that I noted in my prior post on this thread. Here is a link that will get you to a listing of ATC cases starting
in the 19th Century and into the 20th. Slide down the list about 1/3 of the way; and, click onto the "People's
Tobacco Co v American Tobacco Co, 246 US 79" case.

medicolegal.tripod.com/tradecases.htm.....(cut/paste this string and precede it with "http://")

There's a lot of legalese in this very complex and lengthy case. And, if you're a lawyer it should be easy to follow.
See what you make of it.

Also, could you tell me what is printed below the "Factory No. 74, First District, State of MO." line on your piece ?

Thanks,
TED Z

Edited to redo link that initially would not work.