NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2021, 04:05 PM
Jay Shumsky

Default Not a fan of the eBay standard envelope

I'm not a big fan of the eBay standard envelope. I've bought a few cards recently that were delivered using them, and twice, I received notification that my card was delivered in the early afternoon about 5 hours before my mail was actually delivered. Both times, they really were delivered with my mail later in the day, but if either hadn't been, I don't know how I could have filed a complaint with eBay since the order showed as delivered.

How does the tracking work with these envelopes? They aren't being scanned by my mailman so how are they being shown as delivered before they really are?
Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Agree. The so called tracking is just an estimate. The post office told me they have nothing to do with it and there is no scan that they perform.
In my only experience, something was mailed on November 4, marked as delivered on November 6 and actually delivered on November 16.
In cooperation with with the seller we learned you can file a did not receive, it will be denied since it shows delivered, but you need to then appeal as stolen .
Fortunately , mine arrived before completing the process.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:50 PM

I’ve heard the tracking is based on the bin, not the individual item…I don’t know the details exactly, but it would explain a few hours difference in delivery vs stated delivery.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Andrew

I’m still waiting on one that was supposedly delivered on Nov. 4.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same here.

In the future, I will offer to pay sellers more for shipping using a secure method. Hate both the PWE and its inaccurate Tracking.

Last edited by perezfan; 11-20-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Val Kehl

Recently, I went to my local post office branch to drop off a fairly high value card I sold and insured and to get it scanned into the USPS system, rather that letting my mail carrier pick it up as I normally do (I had printed the shipping label at home). I also had a couple of eBay standard PWEs with shipping labels on them with me, and I asked the postal clerk to also scam these in. The clerk had no idea what the eBay standard PWEs were and was unable to scan them. This surprised me. She suggested I take them to the main post office in my town. I did this and got the same response. I then asked for and spoke to the customer service manager, who was also not knowledgeable. I went back home and called eBay and spoke with a seemingly knowledgeable customer service rep who told me that the eBay standard PWE labels are only able to be scanned at the USPS regional distribution centers. Hence, one doesn't get the full tracking that one gets with First Class packages and Priority packages. Still, the eBay PWE with discounted postage and partial USPS tracking is better than before, when I used PWEs with no tracking for inexpensive cards.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:05 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Recently, I went to my local post office branch to drop off a fairly high value card I sold and insured and to get it scanned into the USPS system, rather that letting my mail carrier pick it up as I normally do (I had printed the shipping label at home). I also had a couple of eBay standard PWEs with shipping labels on them with me, and I asked the postal clerk to also scam these in. The clerk had no idea what the eBay standard PWEs were and was unable to scan them. This surprised me. She suggested I take them to the main post office in my town. I did this and got the same response. I then asked for and spoke to the customer service manager, who was also not knowledgeable. I went back home and called eBay and spoke with a seemingly knowledgeable customer service rep who told me that the eBay standard PWE labels are only able to be scanned at the USPS regional distribution centers. Hence, one doesn't get the full tracking that one gets with First Class packages and Priority packages. Still, the eBay PWE with discounted postage and partial USPS tracking is better than before, when I used PWEs with no tracking for inexpensive cards.
I recently sent one in the ebay PWE. My local PO person knew what it was, but I've seen ebay items in their in-box before so maybe he was familiar with it. I told him it was the first time I tried it and he 'scanned' it and accepted it without question. Whether it really scanned into the system or not, I do not know. The buyer had a similar experience as mentioned. It showed up as 'delivered' yet he had not received it yet. Later in the day it was in his mail box. (similar experience to PO workers who scan priority packages as delivered before they really are)

My theory is that the 'scanning' that occurs for delivery is similar to how other first class PWEs (and junk mail) are scanned and processed. It would be better in ebay's system only indicated it was "out for delivery" rather than delivered, which would be more accurate. If you look at the tracking, it does seem to only include the distribution centers and not the local source/destination POs. I wonder if/how it would show up in my daily USPS notifications. Maybe I should sell something to myself to test this out.

Since it is impossible to even purchase the ebay PWE postage for an item that is more than $20, it all boils down to how much is the seller willing to eat if the PWE doesn't get delivered. The seller risk is no different than slapping on a forever stamp and dropping it in the mail. The ebay service provides some convenience with limited tracking.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Since it is impossible to even purchase the ebay PWE postage for an item that is more than $20, it all boils down to how much is the seller willing to eat if the PWE doesn't get delivered. The seller risk is no different than slapping on a forever stamp and dropping it in the mail. The ebay service provides some convenience with limited tracking.
It’s also a few cents cheaper than using a forever stamp at full price.

And you’re spot on…it’s meant to be a replacement for mailing in a PWE with a stamp for inexpensive items…with some form of tracking as a bonus. It’s not intended to be a replacement for more secure/expensive forms of shipping for more valuable items.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I recently sent one in the ebay PWE. My local PO person knew what it was, but I've seen ebay items in their in-box before so maybe he was familiar with it. I told him it was the first time I tried it and he 'scanned' it and accepted it without question. Whether it really scanned into the system or not, I do not know. The buyer had a similar experience as mentioned. It showed up as 'delivered' yet he had not received it yet. Later in the day it was in his mail box. (similar experience to PO workers who scan priority packages as delivered before they really are)

My theory is that the 'scanning' that occurs for delivery is similar to how other first class PWEs (and junk mail) are scanned and processed. It would be better in ebay's system only indicated it was "out for delivery" rather than delivered, which would be more accurate. If you look at the tracking, it does seem to only include the distribution centers and not the local source/destination POs. I wonder if/how it would show up in my daily USPS notifications. Maybe I should sell something to myself to test this out.

The tracking shows both Out for Delivery and Delivered, but in this case, it wasn't really delivered until around 6:00 PM not 10:38 AM as indicated. I understand if it can only be scanned at distribution centers that the tracking is not as detailed as a package with a USPS tracking number, but if the carrier can't scan it then how does it eventually ever show as delivered, either before it really is on when it really is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tracking example.JPG (54.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 06:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maybe "arrival at unit" is trigger delivery confirmation?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-20-2021, 07:01 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maybe "arrival at unit" is trigger delivery confirmation?
I don't think so. I've had at least one of the eBay tracking numbers not show Delivered until well after it really was delivered. Also, with USPS packages, the normal tracking shows Arrival at Unit usually around 6:00 AM followed by Out for Delivery by 7:00 AM.

If the number can only be scanned by regional distribution centers (as indicated by an eBay rep), then it's hard to understand how it could ever get shown as Delivered in their system.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:15 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

This has all been addressed before.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ndard+Envelope

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 11-21-2021, 07:46 PM

I still use the PWE and stamps for single cards less than $20. Out of the hundreds I’ve mailed only a couple have not received and I gladly refund because for such low value cards it’s the cost of doing business.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:50 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
The tracking shows both Out for Delivery and Delivered, but in this case, it wasn't really delivered until around 6:00 PM not 10:38 AM as indicated. I understand if it can only be scanned at distribution centers that the tracking is not as detailed as a package with a USPS tracking number, but if the carrier can't scan it then how does it eventually ever show as delivered, either before it really is on when it really is?
My guess would be that this is when it was delivered to the local PO for the local routes. Makes sense that when the mail is 'binned' out to the local PO that the distribution center would know when it arrived there. Remember that this is the distribution center's 'point of view' and not the final recipient's. Which is why I think that the last entry should be "out for delivery" rather than "delivered". Ebay could make this a little clearer, at least to the sellers, or they could ideally process the USPS information that they receive to make that clearer before they present it.

I'd much rather someone with postal connections chime in rather than me speculating though.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:38 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
My guess would be that this is when it was delivered to the local PO for the local routes. Makes sense that when the mail is 'binned' out to the local PO that the distribution center would know when it arrived there. Remember that this is the distribution center's 'point of view' and not the final recipient's. Which is why I think that the last entry should be "out for delivery" rather than "delivered". Ebay could make this a little clearer, at least to the sellers, or they could ideally process the USPS information that they receive to make that clearer before they present it.

I'd much rather someone with postal connections chime in rather than me speculating though.
No, the time listed as Delivered is well after it arrived at the post office but well before it was actually delivered. Other packages that I get arrive at the post office around 6:00 AM, and after talking to my carrier about this one, he definitely had it well before the time that is listed.

The older thread referenced a few posts earlier has some suggestions as to how the Delivered time gets generated, but nothing that seems to make sense based on what I have recently seen or several others have reported in this thread.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:14 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
No, the time listed as Delivered is well after it arrived at the post office but well before it was actually delivered. Other packages that I get arrive at the post office around 6:00 AM, and after talking to my carrier about this one, he definitely had it well before the time that is listed.

The older thread referenced a few posts earlier has some suggestions as to how the Delivered time gets generated, but nothing that seems to make sense based on what I have recently seen or several others have reported in this thread.
I totally buy what you are saying. The point is that the items themselves are not 'tracked'. This is true of PWEs (ebay generated postage or stamps), media mail, priority mail, etc, based on a couple reasons. Barring outright theft, packages would never get 'lost' within the postal system like they do now. Also priority items are manually noted as delivered by the drivers when they actually deliver them, assuming they perform their job as they are supposed to which most of them do, hence the general accuracy of delivery dates/times once they are out for delivery. Some do not do as they should and scan them early, witnessed by similar delivered-but-not-delivered experiences in that same day or even a day later (I've had both).

During a recent lost item claim, the USPS person was trying to track down and check the container, which they found, but they did not find the missing priority package. So my theory is based on the fact that individual items are not 'tracked', but rather the containers they travel in, which makes sense. What I was guessing at was how the 'delivered' message is triggered. So my new guess is still based on being container dependent, whether it is arrival at the PO (not so), some manual process/scan after it arrives, some departure trigger and when it sent back out from the local PO, or once it arrives back at the distribution center from the local PO.

Bottom line again is that what this means is different from the distribution center's perspective (they did their job) than from the customer's perspective (where's my package). Ebay is just forwarding what they are provided from the USPS, which obviously could use some massaging to present it to an end-user customer such as ourselves.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Glyn Parson

Had it happen with padded mailers as well as with ups packages. I don’t think it’s the envelopes fault
Old 11-29-2021, 02:32 PM

Had a scare recently with USPS showing Delivered. I was going to be away on travel, so I had my mail put on Hold, knowing I had a couple cards en route and not wanting them to sit in the mailbox.

Despite deliveries on Hold (and I also kept a screenshot of USPS confirmation of the Hold status), I had 2 cards suddenly show Delivered. I texted a neighbor and had them check our mailbox - nothing there. Tried calling the post office, but it was impossible trying to get an actual person on the phone who could help. So, I waited it out.

A few days later, when the mail resumed and I was home, I walked down and watched the mailman deliver the cards with the rest of my mail.

Tracking is better than nothing, but not perfect.