NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2021, 04:33 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default AB, Cycle, BL, and Drum were distributed in 15 count soft packs

With todays thread on T206s as stiffeners it would be a good time to go ahead with this post I was working on even though I don't have it written as well as I would like.

I don't claim to have any kind of expertise in the mysteries of the T206 set, but a few days ago stumbled across some info that I think is new to the hobby in an obscure publication. An article in The United States Tobacco Journal reports that American Beauty, Cycle, Broad Leaf, and Drum ceased production of the little 10 count slide boxes on June 30, 1910. As of July 1, 1910 all four brands were distributed in 15 count soft packs ONLY. Scott Reader states that American Beauty began inserting T206s July 3, 1910 and Cycle sometime in July. One would think Broad Leaf and Drum would also have started in July as well. Put these two things together and it seems obvious that these four brands issued T206s in 15 packs ONLY.

Here are the articles gleaned from 1910 Volumes 73 and 74:

The United States Tobacco Journal, New York May 7, 1910 page 5

"The packing of American Beauty, Cycle, Drum, and Broad Leaf in tens will be discontinued June 30, 1910, and, on July 1, 1910 the packing of these brands in twenties, as well as Golden Star and Victory, will be changed to fifteens, which will be billed at $1.80 for a carton of 750, and not by the thousand. We will make no change whatever in the style packing, price, or amount of gratis on any of the other brands mentioned in this circular*, on July 1, on which the increased internal revenue tax becomes effective.

*The other brands mentioned are: Sweet Caporal, Perfection, Sovereign, Mecca, Hassan, Tolstoi, Piedmont, Old Mill, Fez, Hindu, Lenox, Cairo, Fatima, Richmond Straights, and Mon Plaisir.

Saturday August 13 1910 page 12

NEWS AND HAPPENINGS IN THE RETAIL CIGAR, CIGARETTE AND TOBACCO TRADE
TIMELY HINTS AND SUGGESTIONS FOR THE RETAIL TOBACCONIST

BEAUTIES IN TWENTIES
And Other Popular Brands Still Being Sold by Metropolitan While Stocks Last

Before the increased tax went into effect the Metropolitan Tobacco Co. laid in unusually large stocks of the popular cheap cigarette packages which have since been reduced in the number of smokes contained in order to make up for the increased tax toll. This foresight has enabled the big jobbing concern to continue supplying their trade with such brands as American Beauties in 20's to retail at the old price and as the stocks cannot last long, dealers who are well posted are ordering up all they can afford. Calls for these packages were remarkably heavy, last week, and it will most likely be impossible to fill orders on them after this week at the very latest. There is some grumbling among the trade on the score of the lessened value in the new package; but a fair percentage of the city dealers take a more sensible view. The increased tax must be paid by the consumer. The nickel and ten cent selling prices are too well established on these brands to stand any increase. The imperative alternative was to reduce the volume of the contents. And this has been done in such a way as to protect the retail trade as far as possible by making the change as little noticeable as possible. Meanwhile, the Metropolitan is standing by its trade until the end of the old stocks is reached.

Saturday August 27 1910 page 12

THE LAST CHANCE
The announcement made in this column last week that American Beauties and other popular nickel brands were still being sold by the Metropolitan Tobacco co. in packages of 20 had the effect of starting a run on these goods and by the time this issue goes to press the Grand street headquarters will probably be entirely cleaned out of stocks in the old make-up. However, Drums, Broad Leaf and Cycles in 20's are still in stock at several of the Brooklyn branches, a fact which got to the knowledge of some of the Manhattan dealers this week. It is not a very far cry to the neighboring borough and it is worth car fare to get the bigger packages while they last.

Here is how I add it all up: AB, Cycle, Broad Leaf, and Drum were the cheapos of American Tobacco's line. Nickel cigarettes. Issued in 10 packs for a nickel and 20 packs for a dime. American Tobacco initially only issued cards with their more premium brands. In Aug 1909 a law was passed raising the tobacco tax effective July 1, 1910. It would no longer be profitable to sell these brands for a nickle. It was decided to go with soft packs of 15. This decision was not popular with the consumer. Probably after the announcement in May there was a lot of grumbling. The baseball inserts had proved very popular so why not add them to these four brands as a little bonus to help offset the price increase. I think this was a late decision. Four new backs were needed. It looks like not much time was spent on their design as they are basically identical. The four brands were all manufactured at factory 25 in Virginia. Were so many of the old 20 packs hoarded up before July that fewer of the card bearing packs were sold? Also it has been speculated that Drums were a St. Louis regional brand, but as seen in one of the articles all four brands were sold in NYC.

If anyone wants to pore through the whole Journal just google United States Tobacco Journal 1910. Google has photocopied several years. The publication is geared towards Tobacconists and is very heavy on cigar advertising.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:22 PM
Michael G0nz@lez

Interesting to read about the history of these brands. Thanks for sharing!

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:25 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Interesting to read about the history of these brands. Thanks for sharing!
What a fabulous knowledge base here - thanks. I read with great interest...
Old 03-11-2021, 06:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Ken......I find this very interesting.

Especially, since back June 2, 2008 I posted a thread here regarding my theory which connected the AMERICAN BEAUTY - BROAD LEAF - CYCLE - DRUM cards
together...... https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...=AB-BL-CY-DRUM

I predicted that these four T-brands were printed on the same 190 subjects in the 350-only Series of T206 cards. My theory has virtually withstood the test of
time, since the AB and CY have been confirmed with 190 subjects.
To date, BL is confirmed with 173 subjects. DRUM confirmed with 123. I expect these 2 tougher backs will eventually be discovered with 190 subjects.

For example......

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Yes, Ted. I have followed your work closely. When I read in the article how closely the brands were tied together I thought your theory virtually proven.

Still doesn't explain why ABs were trimmed though!
Old 03-11-2021, 07:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Yes, Ted. I have followed your work closely. When I read in the article how closely the brands were tied together I thought your theory virtually proven.

Still doesn't explain why ABs were trimmed though!

Perhaps Ken, in a strange sort of way it does.

I always thought that ATC was anticipating offering AMERICAN BEAUTY brand in an 8-pack (instead of their standard 10-pack).
Instead, they increased the size of the packs of cigarettes (as your news article tells us).

TED Z