NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2021, 05:30 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Default Non-Paying EBay bidders

I know that there must be a topic somewhere and maybe someone can direct me. I am sick of the non paying bidders on eBay and tampering with expensive auctions. Over the past week I have sold two cards via auction (which I rarely do) and dealt with people that give some feeble excuse or just say they don’t want item “it was a mistake”. I used to just cancel and relist but now I feel the need to give a nonpayment strike and get their name out there.

Ideas?

Last edited by ezez420; 03-09-2021 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:34 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I have no proof at all, but I've always felt a nonpayment strike means absolutely nothing.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 AM
Jeff Woolsey

Same here. Sold a card with no payment or contact for 4 days. I contacted him and told him I would ship the card as soon as payment is made. He said he changed his mind. Looked at his feedback and he had 3 positive feedback that said "stay away from this person" or "avoid this buyer". They still have 100% positive feedback. I canceled the order and blocked him as a buyer.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've sold a fair amount of cards on ebay in the last 6 months. Both old and new. It's a huge inconvenience and annoying as hell but when people stiff me I just relist the card and try to not get aggravated. Sometimes I have gotten a better price second time around. Probably 1 out of every 10-12 sales. I assume its just some jackass who has the same card and is trying to raise the floor on the card he is selling.

I love the no pays on cards for like 6 bucks. Really? You don't have $6. Jerks.

The shenanigans with modern stuff is off the charts. I had a guy recently who emailed me about how he wanted to make an offer on a 2020 rookie card and in one short paragraph referenced that he was a Marine like 6 times. Never made his offer because "Marine Corp business" kept pulling him away. Lots of Semper Fi's in follow up messages, more references to important Corp business, duty first, etc. I have no idea if he's actually a Marine, and if he is god bless, but seemed like well rehearsed schtick to me.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-09-2021 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:32 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Why would anyone not give them a nonpayment strike?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

a lot of sellers have minimum feedback/transaction requirements for bidding on their items. i think this is the best way to deal with the non-pay issues.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Are These are a bad sign for the card market...is stuff is cooling off? I would say a good amount of things are, not all but some.

I see a lot of cards being listed on Facebook that are not selling.

Is their correction correction starting ? Just a Pause ?

I sense some nervousness.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-09-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:43 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Are These are a bad sign for the card market...is stuff is cooling off? I would say a good amount of things are, not all but some.

I see a lot of cards being listed on Facebook that are not selling.

Is their correction correction starting ? Just a Pause ?

I sense some nervousness.
I definitely see those signs Johnny. I think it might be a card by card basis. but certain high profile cards have definitely stalled.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

You should always file the "not paid" claim and give them the strike. Since you can block buyers who have more than 1 NPB strikes, it does help in that way. Also, once you open the claim, they can no longer leave feedback.

Sellers have to be careful about leaving false positive feedback, its against Ebay rules and you can have your account suspended for doing it.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:57 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I definitely see those signs Johnny. I think it might be a card by card basis. but certain high profile cards have definitely stalled.
Agree yes sir.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

What also pisses me off is that it becomes a recorded sale or makes you look like you are pushing item.

I am getting items removed from VCP but more often then not people don’t take that extra step. These items were a couple to few thousand each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've sold a fair amount of cards on ebay in the last 6 months. Both old and new. It's a huge inconvenience and annoying as hell but when people stiff me I just relist the card and try to not get aggravated. Sometimes I have gotten a better price second time around. Probably 1 out of every 10-12 sales. I assume its just some jackass who has the same card and is trying to raise the floor on the card he is selling.

I love the no pays on cards for like 6 bucks. Really? You don't have $6. Jerks.
Definitely relate to this. I've had 3 of these in the last month - 1 who won a card 1 week - hasn't paid, won like 7 more the following week - not paid. Blocked him and will have to relist. Another one on 2 auctions just ended (8 feedback) - have my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath. Ebay is getting worse and worse - they don't realize ultimately how profitability is tied to a good and fair experience for BOTH sellers and buyers. There is currently no viable alternative of which I am aware - as soon as there is I suspect Ebay will be down the tubes!! Any tech savvy members want to build a better mouse trap?
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Also can raise suspicion that the buyer got the card and that there was some kind of problem and it was returned. Or that you were shilling your own card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
What also pisses me off is that it becomes a recorded sale or makes you look like you are pushing item.

I am getting items removed from VCP but more often then not people don’t take that extra step. These items were a couple to few thousand each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
There is currently no viable alternative of which I am aware - as soon as there is I suspect Ebay will be down the tubes!! Any tech savvy members want to build a better mouse trap?
Have you looked at Bonanza.com?

I just started playing around with it a bit - very familiar look & feel.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:51 AM
Bill Cauley

Had a card listed as an auction last summer that someone bid on ten minutes before it ended and they won. Not five minutes after it ended they sent a cancel request. I didn't even want to deal with the nonsense that could ensue so I accepted it and relisted.

I've pretty much given up selling on ebay as it seems there are just so many scams/non-payers/etc. At least those are the ones I hear about anyway.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq711 View Post
Why would anyone not give them a nonpayment strike?

Well, here's a real world example from myself, why some sellers may be becoming more averse to doing this.

I filed a non-payment for a couple of unpaid items last year. Right before it wound down, the buyer paid for them through Paypal (before managed payments).

They immediately filed to cancel the transactions under the guise of "Items Not as Described" (I hadn't even had a chance see the payment, let alone to ship them out yet), requested a refund...........and then sent me several follow up messages asking why I hadn't refunded them yet. These were all done in a span of minutes.

I could have shipped anyways, but likely more shenanigans would have ensued. So I cancelled, and ate the Paypal fees (because Paypal stopped returning fees from refunds)

Ebay has made it so easy to cancel transactions.........that a non-paying threat means little to nothing to these people now. They can pay, and still easily get their money back anyways........and then the non-payment warning goes away.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 03-09-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Ah for the old days when it was simple "Ebay people being weird" instead of some nonsense.

My two favorites.

Guy sent his check in a power company payment envelope. That was pre- bar coded. After a brief back and forth, he sent another, which did get here -also in a power company pre-bar coded envelope.
Explained the problem, and he said the power company had just called him wondering what to do with a check for like $7 made out to someone else.

Guy won a handful of cards, all really cheap. No payment, at about a week I sent a gentle reminder. Girlfriend answers, guy was drunk, looks at cards and bid on well over a thousand that were all around $1... Checked his bid history, and yeah he sure did. Now he had hundreds of sellers bugging him for money he didn't have. Said "hey, it's under $10, just pay whenever, I'll set the cards aside" Got a thanks for not being grouchy, and the check showed up maybe a week and a half later. I suspect the grouchy sellers never got paid.

Happier times...
Old 03-09-2021, 03:25 PM
J僃 ß@rl0w

Default Ditto

I just had one as well, on a high dollar card. Buyer has 100% feedback with a score of over 1300. Didn't pay in 2 days, I reached out..."I'll pay soon, and by the way do you have anything else for sale". 3 more days, I reach out again, buyer completely ghosting me. I start the unpaid auction process, which eBay makes you sit and wait 4 days. On day 3 of the 4 I reach out to the buyer again letting them know that my intent is to get the fee reimbursement and move on after the waiting period. Crickets, so today I got the reimbursement and moved on. But they jammed up several thousands of dollars for 12 days and ghosted me while they carried on normally buying and selling otherwise.

User is missymonarch if any sellers want to block bids, I did.

Last edited by bundy462; 03-09-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:20 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy462 View Post

User is missymonarch if any sellers want to block bids, I did.

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Only one solution fits the crime:

I have stopped bothering with NPB fights. I just cancel the deal and resell the item, block the bidder.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

I just block them. I don’t sell cards but do other vintage toys. Those buyers are just as bad. The other thing lately that irks me is sellers cancelling my auction when it’s going to be a good deal for me. Three just this week on autographed baseballs. One claimed he couldn’t find it and another one said he’d already sold it. I was going to get a good deal and they just pulled them. Just put a reserve on it if you want a certain price for it.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:43 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
I just block them. I don’t sell cards but do other vintage toys. Those buyers are just as bad. The other thing lately that irks me is sellers cancelling my auction when it’s going to be a good deal for me. Three just this week on autographed baseballs. One claimed he couldn’t find it and another one said he’d already sold it. I was going to get a good deal and they just pulled them. Just put a reserve on it if you want a certain price for it.
I would neg them, doesn't do much but it does warn other bidders.

Last edited by Jim65; 03-10-2021 at 04:44 AM.