NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:39 AM

Default Any new news on The National??

Tickets going to be limited?? Will they even have it??

Last edited by JMANOS; 03-08-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default National

Their website looks like they are planning on a normal National. All dealer tables are sold out and tickets for admission are being sold.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I signed up for the email updates a few months back and haven't received anything.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:40 PM

Default I was told to buy your tics early

as they may limit the amount sold?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Bill Roberts

Offers?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:49 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Get ready for guys to start soliciting to buy people’s dealers badges...ugh

Oy Vey
Old 03-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default NSCC made the post on FB today!

We’ve been hearing some rumors about the upcoming Chicago National. So we want to put your minds at ease. We are continuing to plan for the event scheduled for July 28- August 1 and maintaining contact with the proper state and local authorities. If we need to make any changes to the event, they will be announced here and on our web site. Tickets are currently on sale for the 41st National on our web site at www.NSCCShow.com

1. We are not planning to move this year’s event to Texas or Florida

2. We are not planning to require proof of vaccination to attend.

3. We will announce autograph guests as they are confirmed by TriStar.

4. We will adhere to the guidelines provided by the State of Illinois and the City of Rosemont
Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
We’ve been hearing some rumors about the upcoming Chicago National. So we want to put your minds at ease. We are continuing to plan for the event scheduled for July 28- August 1 and maintaining contact with the proper state and local authorities. If we need to make any changes to the event, they will be announced here and on our web site. Tickets are currently on sale for the 41st National on our web site at www.NSCCShow.com

1. We are not planning to move this year’s event to Texas or Florida

2. We are not planning to require proof of vaccination to attend.

3. We will announce autograph guests as they are confirmed by TriStar.

4. We will adhere to the guidelines provided by the State of Illinois and the City of Rosemont
Rich,

I was about to post the same thing. It's good to hear that it's still on. Now if we can just get confirmation on the Philly Show's new date!

As a side note, hopefully there can be some sort of Net54 Gathering in Chicago assuming it happens.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

You guys are so lucky. We have not had a card show here in Toronto for a long effing time! We'll probably have to wait for three more years.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:41 AM
John Wondowski

Made my reservations this morning!
Old 03-10-2021, 04:54 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Unfortunately The Governor or Mayor Will have the Final Say, Not The National Committee. THE KEY IS 4, "We will adhere to the guidelines provided by the State of Illinois and the City of Rosemont"

Will they have to limit the amount of patrons per day?

Maybe have a lottery for which day that people are allowed to attend based on the number amount of tickets....IDK ?

I don't see how they're going to be allowed to let an undefined number of people attend each day, IMO it's going to have to be limited each day based on the numbers.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-10-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:47 AM

Default Agreed

Thats why I was told to buy your ticket now. Which I did...
Old 03-10-2021, 06:08 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Show attendance

Show attendance- St Louis isn't allowing sports card shows at this time. The Governor is beginning to open up the State. -Saturday I attended a little one day show in Southeast Mo,--one dealer sold $100,000 in cards-- imagine what the National will be like --like Tony the Tiger would growl--It will be GREAT!
Old 03-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post
Thats why I was told to buy your ticket now. Which I did...
Also, if you bought a ticket last year and didn't use it, you can you use it for the 2021 event.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:14 AM
Tony Gordon

Illinois is currently limiting gatherings to 50 people. I don't know if much is going to change in four months. I am diabetic and eligible for the vaccine but can't get an appointment any where. I think it would be wise to move the show this year to someplace like Dallas that allows massive gatherings.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:17 AM

The best part of the National is hanging out with Rich Klein
Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 AM
Josh Adams

The Sox and Cubs are allowing 20% capacity for home games. I think (hope) by June/July the vaccine rollout will be more efficient.
I can see a national with 25% capacity.
Also, if they get rid of all those breakers, the dealers can spread out, and accomadate social distancing mandates
Old 03-10-2021, 02:28 PM

Default There going to stop ticket sales at a certain number

Is my bet....
Old 03-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Brock

I cant see Chicago going from groups of 50 to several thousand in less than 5 months unless somehow everyone is vaccinated by July. plus would a 25% national even be good? Would all the dealers even show up if the attendance was only 25%.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The best part of the National is hanging out with Rich Klein
How the hell are you!
Old 03-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I cant see Chicago going from groups of 50 to several thousand in less than 5 months unless somehow everyone is vaccinated by July. plus would a 25% national even be good? Would all the dealers even show up if the attendance was only 25%.
DSCC is state's call, not Chicago, and I can assure you the village has been all over Pritzker for a green light. Apparently, even McCormick Place is being considered. That's really good news for Rosemont. Things have been improving by the day here. Something like 50 million people are within a 3-hour drive of Rosemont so I would call that real pressure. Outdoor events got bumped up by months and will be able to re-assess (add fans) ahead of each baseball team's homestand.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/5...oon-as-summer/

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...rybodys-psyche
Old 03-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Brad

Default Move It

If the state of Ill doesn't want to open for business and do what is best for its citizens then move it to a state like FL or TX. Reward the states who are doing things the right way.

I was in FL last month for 5 days. No masks except for servers!!!! The sporting event I attended had no capacity restrictions or social distancing. The only people wearing stuff on their face were doing so to try and keep the dirt from the track off of themselves.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 03-13-2021, 08:21 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
If the state of Ill doesn't want to open for business and do what is best for its citizens then move it to a state like FL or TX. Reward the states who are doing things the right way.

I was in FL last month for 5 days. No masks except for servers!!!! The sporting event I attended had no capacity restrictions or social distancing. The only people wearing stuff on their face were doing so to try and keep the dirt from the track off of themselves.
Not to turn this into an argument, I do think that what Florida and Texas have done is a little premature. I do think the National happens, the Vaccine is becoming more and more available. I can only speak for myself though, as someone that's fully vaccinated, and whose parents are also, I'm comfortable going to a show.

Donscards.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I bought a ticket but may not make it even if I get a vaccine. I have a case going to trial the week before and odds are I will be in court.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I bought a ticket but may not make it even if I get a vaccine. I have a case going to trial the week before and odds are I will be in court.
Make OC an offer he can't refuse.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
Make OC an offer he can't refuse.
i wish OC was the recalcitrant one...I had a really fair settlement negotiated at mediation but my client rejected it.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-13-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:23 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
Illinois is currently limiting gatherings to 50 people. I don't know if much is going to change in four months. I am diabetic and eligible for the vaccine but can't get an appointment any where. I think it would be wise to move the show this year to someplace like Dallas that allows massive gatherings.
You should try Meijer if you're close to one. They have been giving shots in Michigan.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:18 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Not to turn this into an argument, I do think that what Florida and Texas have done is a little premature. I do think the National happens, the Vaccine is becoming more and more available. I can only speak for myself though, as someone that's fully vaccinated, and whose parents are also, I'm comfortable going to a show.

Does the flu vaccine eradicate that illness every winter? Do you think this vaccine will work next time? Will you get a vaccination for each new illness that comes around every yr without FDA research which generally takes yrs to do for one drug? I honestly ask these questions because I do not even get a flu shot.

With an almost 100% recovery rate for healthy individuals, it is possible the long term side effects from the vaccine will be more dangerous than the actual illness.

As a pure business decision it makes sense to move the National to a free state and then let people choose. If you are comfortable with it go, if not don't. It is then your personal choice and not the government telling you what you can and can't do. And I really need another excuse to hop on a plane to FL

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 03-14-2021, 02:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would definitely attend if they move it to FL or TX (and announced it with decent lead-time). Or better yet, Vegas...

I am with you... move it to a free state so people can plan their travel in advance. July isn't really that far off. Why wait for a last minute announcement on the status while trying to comply with a state that renders this Convention to be 50/50 at best?

And from a dealer's point of view, I would much rather set-up at an unrestricted convention than one with 25% capacity limitations. Seems like it wouldn't even be worth the cost of travel, booth fees, etc. Those who are not comfortable are free to stay home, and those who want to attend could do so.

Last edited by perezfan; 03-14-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Does the flu vaccine eradicate that illness every winter? Do you think this vaccine will work next time? Will you get a vaccination for each new illness that comes around every yr without FDA research which generally takes yrs to do for one drug? I honestly ask these questions because I do not even get a flu shot.

With an almost 100% recovery rate for healthy individuals, it is possible the long term side effects from the vaccine will be more dangerous than the actual illness.

As a pure business decision it makes sense to move the National to a free state and then let people choose. If you are comfortable with it go, if not don't. It is then your personal choice and not the government telling you what you can and can't do. And I really need another excuse to hop on a plane to FL

Agree 100%
Old 03-14-2021, 03:08 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree 100%
Not to start an argument (I'm all for common sense precautions), but COVID and the FLU are apples and oranges comparisons.

I'm predicting and hoping enough vaccinations by July and major drops in daily infection rates that IL will be able to lift occupancy restrictions and the Natty will go off like it's 1999. Dealers should be prepared to leave with stacks of cash. Will be fun to see.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 03-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Well, considering people want to share they're toxic politcally dividing opinons - you can have mine.

I now hope that the Convention ONLY ever happens in Chicago, and that organizers require ALL attendants present Covid vaccination records before allowing them to enter.
That way I can enjoy my cards and not your asymptomatic virus shedding selves that may not kill me but perhaps unwittingly pass along to and kill my in-laws or low immunity suffering son.

Yay, now we all get to be honest joes.

Last edited by 68Hawk; 03-14-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Boy, some of us really have to tune out the media and start thinking for ourselves.

on a lighter note..
Traditionally prices have been higher in person than on ebay, the National could be "new world records", however money does have to change hands eventually.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-15-2021, 06:56 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Well, considering people want to share they're toxic politcally dividing opinons - you can have mine.

I now hope that the Convention ONLY ever happens in Chicago, and that organizers require ALL attendants present Covid vaccination records before allowing them to enter.
That way I can enjoy my cards and not your asymptomatic virus shedding selves that may not kill me but perhaps unwittingly pass along to and kill my in-laws or low immunity suffering son.

"Toxic politcally dividing opinons"??
The Net54 most ridiculous and exaggerated statement award goes to...

Why not take the two seconds and actually READ what you wrote before you post, spelling is important.... or is that also a politically motivated statement??? lol
Old 03-15-2021, 07:29 AM

I won't be going to the National this year. I haven't been able to get comfortable with the idea of sitting down in a restaurant yet. I would like to go next year if it's back in AC though.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:18 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I won't be going to the National this year. I haven't been able to get comfortable with the idea of sitting down in a restaurant yet. I would like to go next year if it's back in AC though.
Or staying in a hotel room. Who knows who the last 50 people who stayed there were and if the room was cleaned properly.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:25 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Boy this has turned into Doom And Gloom the last few comments........
Old 03-15-2021, 08:30 AM
And.y Ell.is

my 2 cents, I dont think there would be enough time to move it, and still have it the weekend they are planning. As far as showing proof of vaccine, not for that at all.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Whatever happened to all the folks on the board who swore we would never heard about the virus after election day? Where they been hiding?
Old 03-15-2021, 08:54 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post

Why is a civil conversation about the National "toxic politically dividing opinions"?

Debating and talking about issues is a good thing! Taking verbal shots adds nothing to what could be an educated discussion between intelligent members of this collecting community.

I am making a point based on basic economics. It would make more sense economically, for all dealers, to move the show to a state w/out restrictions. It is then our choice to attend or not. Even if many like yourself do not choose to attend, the show would likely still have more total attendance than if in a locked down state.

Many, many millions of us will not get vaccinated. I don't judge those like yourself, or my parents or other loved ones with medical issues who have received it. I hope it works, I really do, but when my friends in the pharma industry are refusing to take it....I have some educated doubts...but again it is your right to choose, just as it is mine.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:02 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Whatever happened to all the folks on the board who swore we would never heard about the virus after election day? Where they been hiding?
They're probably hiding with the plethora of endless losers - usually celebrity types - who routinely threaten to move and leave the country after each election that heaven forbid, doesn't go their way.

Each of course never does, as they have absolutely no integrity.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
You can put me in this category, I definitely thought it would be over after the election. Although I doubt I was posting about it on a sports card forum.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:56 AM

I am curious about the autograph guests. I would be interested in sending items in to guests I need. Wonder if they'll do in person signing or what that'll look like. I haven't seen any videos of players signing at spring training so I'm guessing autos are still something people are wary of. I would be if I were the player.

Last edited by packs; 03-15-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

A lot of these guys are pretty old, but I assume they will have the vaccine by the time they appear. Even with vaccine I doubt they will want to be hanging around complete strangers any longer than they need to. Could see them behind a piece of plexiglass .

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I am curious about the autograph guests. I would be interested in sending items in to guests I need. Wonder if they'll do in person signing or what that'll look like. I haven't seen any videos of players signing at spring training so I'm guessing autos are still something people are wary of. I would be if I were the player.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Or staying in a hotel room. Who knows who the last 50 people who stayed there were and if the room was cleaned properly.
Chances of getting COVID this way are almost non existent
Old 03-15-2021, 10:32 AM

Yeah I’m not worried about the hotel room. I’m uncomfortable sharing air in an enclosed space.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If I can get vaccinated AND there's no new variant that seems to be bypassing the vaccines AND everyone in my family here has been vaccinated (which it seems will be the case) AND my MD advises me that travel is OK for me given my med conditions, THEN I would be OK to go. That said, I am not sure I WANT to go and hang out with certain hygiene-challenged fellow collectors over meals and in the evenings in the bars. I really have to give that some thought.

As for political discussions on this board:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-15-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:25 AM
Brad

I work for an essential business with multiple locations across three Midwest states and we didn't even close for a day. I travel almost weekly and stay in hotels and eat in restaurants, get gas, go to the store etc, etc. I have been doing this going back to last summer after only a short pause which was forced by the governor. Almost all schools are back to full time in person learning and a few never went remote at all. Sports seasons are in full swing, state tournaments going on/finishing for winter sports in OH right now with limited capacity.

I do not know of a single person with Covid currently, either personally or professionally or even just heard about through the grapevine.

Seeing some of the posters comments about continued fears of the virus is, to say the least very surprising. I certainly do not live under a rock so to see it such wide spread everywhere I'm not, is extremely odd.....

Old 03-15-2021, 11:34 AM

It might be possible that your personal experience is your own and other people have reason to be cautious because of their experiences. If we all led the same life we'd all have the same outlooks. But we don't.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:34 AM
James M.

Quote:
I work for an essential business with multiple locations across three Midwest states and we didn't even close for a day. I travel almost weekly and stay in hotels and eat in restaurants, get gas, go to the store etc, etc. I have been doing this going back to last summer after only a short pause which was forced by the governor. Almost all schools are back to full time in person learning and a few never went remote at all. Sports seasons are in full swing, state tournaments going on/finishing for winter sports in OH right now with limited capacity.

I do not know of a single person with Covid currently, either personally or professionally or even just heard about through the grapevine.

Seeing some of the posters comments about continued fears of the virus is, to say the least very surprising. I certainly do not live under a rock so to see it such wide spread everywhere I'm not, is extremely odd.....

I feel like it depends where you are, NYC has been hammered by Covid. While no one in my family has gotten it, I personally know six friends whose families have been effected by it. Many lost cousins, grandparents, uncles, aunts.

I'm fully vaccinated, my immediate family is too. So at this point, while I still have it in the back of my head, because it's still around, I feel comfortable going out to eat, or traveling to a different state by car. I'm still leery about getting on a plane or packing into a convention hall without a mask.

Regardless I think we can all agree, whether you are getting the Vaccine or not, that we all can't wait for life to be normal again. I think the hope is that this becomes like the flu, where it can be managed easier and treated more effectively.

Donscards.
Closed Thread