NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2021, 09:34 PM

Default Colgan's Chips...Beware Imitations...The Rest of the Story

The Colgan's Chip sets have always been one of my favorite sets to collect.

As most folks are aware, there are actually three (3) different sets of "Colgan's Chips:

1909-1911 Stars of the Diamond (E254)
1912 Red Borders (E270-1)
1912-1913 Tin Tops (E270-2)

One of the really cool things about collecting the sets is that you also can collect the actual Colgan's Chip tins that the gum or "chips," and the round cards were packaged in for the consumer. There are Violet color tins that contained the Violet Chips gum, which Colgan's described in one of their ads as "having the aroma of sweet violets." In addition, Colgan's also marketed a 2nd flavor of gum in their green Mint Chips tins, which one of their ads describes as: "Mint Chips flavored like old-fashioned peppermint stick candy."

Having picked up several Colgan's Chips tins in both colors, I soon realized that the tins reflected a change in the company's ownership.

Earlier tins had the following listed on the bottom of the tin: COLGAN GUM CO. Incorporated Louisville, KY U.S.A. Whereas, a later variation of the tin had the following inscription: AUTOSALES GUM & CHOCOLATE CO. NEW YORK. SUCCESSOR TO COLGAN GUM CO. INC.

Once I realized that different tins existed, I started wondering if each set might have come in a unique tin for each set. Clearly the first series, would have been issued initially with the COLGAN GUM CO. Incorporated Louisville, KY U.S.A. address.

Confirming when the change of ownership occurred might shed light on whether the first set, Stars of the Diamond, might have all come in the tins with the Colgan Gum Co.

There is also a chance that the change in ownership happened before the end of the Stars of the Diamond series were issued completely, and the 2nd type of tin may have been issued with some of the Stars of the Diamond cards as well as the other subsequent 2 sets.

I found this interesting bit of information online: "In 1911 - eighteen (18) major vending machine companies consolidated into the giant Autosales Gum and Chocolate Co. In the same year - Autosales Gum & Chocolate Co. of New York purchased a large number of chewing gum and candy companies including Colgan's, Dentyne and Royal Remedy and Extract's "Sweet Wheat" with plans to market the products through its automated vending machines.

Then I stumbled upon this fascinating appeal involving the Autosales Gum & Chocolate Co. vs. H. E. Winterton Gum Co.

https://www.ravellaw.com/opinions/ed...8420e51473273a

Whereas many hobby publications including Lew Lipset's The Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards Vol. 2 Early Gum & Candy Cards have mentioned the back of E254 Colgan's Chips warned to "beware of imitations" probably referring to the very similar Ju Ju Drums (E286), I believe this appeal identifies the real threat to the Colgan's Chips products: "Winterton's Satsuma Chips."

The fact that this product was marketed mid 1912 makes me also question whether the E254 Colgan Chips may have also been issued into 1912 if the backs warn "beware imitations." That warning also might simply mean that the Colgan Gum company was aware of several companies trying to imitate their extremely successful gum product.

The appeal also reveals that the Colgan Gum Company released the Violet Chips gum first and then the Mint Chips gum later.

"In 1908 it began making a brand of gum in the form of thin disks or chips; its first variety being violet-flavored and called "Violet Chips," its second variety (put out in 1909) being mint-flavored and called "Mint Chips." The company adopted in 1908 a distinctive package in the form of a round, enameled, and lithographed tin box, about 11/16 inches deep and with a cover about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, containing 10 disks, and retailing at 5 cents."

I believe this paragraph describes the purchase of Colgan Gum Co. by Autosales Gum & Chocolate Co.:

"The Colgan Company sold out its business to complainant (appellee) May 15, 1911, and the latter has continuously sold (among other gums) the Violet and Mint Chips of the same diameter and form, in precisely the same kind of a package, and lettered in precisely the same way, except as respects certain details on the bottom of the box not material here -- latterly putting 7 disks in a box."

Further on in the appeal I found this very interesting paragraph:

"The principal sales of Mint Chips and Violet Chips (both of Colgan and complainant) were in the south and southwest parts of the United States, and in some sections largely to Negroes, Italians, and French. Customers were in the habit of calling for and ordering these chips by the names "round gum," "tin box gum," or "tin gum."

Now I know a little more of the rest of the story, but I'm still uncertain which tins the 3 sets of Colgan's may have been issued with.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colganoriginal.jpg (75.4 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg AUTOSALE.jpg (51.1 KB, 847 views)
File Type: jpg e254back.jpg (17.9 KB, 835 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-22-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 AM
Frank Wakefield

Great read, Patrick. Thanks for posting that.

Somewhere I think I read that Colgan's got its start when a pharmacist in Louisville was sitting at a table or counter in a restaurant (maybe at morning) with someone when he overheard some L&N Railroad person telling someone about 2 carloads of chicle that had been shipped from South America up to the southern coast of the US, and then on to a buyer who refused to accept or pay for the order when delivery was attempted. The railroad had no idea of what they could do to get paid for their shipping efforts, nor what to do with chicle. Colgan offered to buy it for a greatly discounted price, he thought he could add flavoring and get into the gum business.

This brings to mind Bill Haber. I did not ever meet him, but he and I had a few telephone conversations about old players and old cards. He would usually steer the conversation to the Colgan's Chips cards. He was always trying to ask about who I had, and what team they were with. Sometimes he'd ask about a particular player. I think he had several cards that weren't listed in the early guides. At the time I was more interested in talking about the players depicted in the white border tobacco set. On one call he told me about Bull Durham, who has a portrait card in the set. I thought Bull had an east coast family and a midwestern family, and he'd go back and forth between the two while a ballplayer, neither family knew about the other. Anyway, Mr. Haber knew a right smart about those round cards. I don't know the disposition of his collection, but I'd think his Colgans cards would have been impressive.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:28 AM
Bill K@sel

Here's a Violet for comparison as well. Great research and information!

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colgans Meyers w Tin B.jpg (50.0 KB, 774 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 PM

Frank,
Bill Haber's Colgan's collection was purchased by Larry Fritsch. Since Fritsch's passing, I believe another major collector (whom I won't name since he may not want to make it public) obtained the combined Haber/Fritsch Colgan accumulation.
Bill was a good friend, a passionate collector and a peerless baseball biographical researcher. He was fascinated by short-term major leaguers and focused on Colgan's and T210s because they pictured so many of these elusive "cup of coffee" players.
B0b Rich@rds0n, another Colgan's fan
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM
Frank Wakefield

Wow, Spec. I don't think he and I ever discussed T210s. We'd talk about biographies, white border cards, and then the Colgan's He was calm, patient, and encouraging... I have a T206 that I sent him to sign on the back; he signed and sent it back. Mr. Haber was a treasure.

I remembered where I read about the 2 train car loads of chicle... it was in an article in the Louisville Courier Journal. Maybe took up a 3rd of a page. I think I have a photocopy of the article... somewhere. Maybe someone can find it in newspapers.com or someshuch.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great info.......some more to supplement yours.....

There are actually (4) different backs on the Colgan's Tins. The first is Colgan Gum with no outer rim writing. Second Colgan Gum with outer rim writing. Third Autosales with outer rim writing and fourth Sterling Gum with no outer rim writing. As I understand it, examples exist for both Violet and Mint chips types. I have all except the Sterling Green Mint Chips version.

Another of the "imitators" are chips from the Peerless Gum Chips from the Texas Gum Company. There are 5-6 different colored tins for this product--all of which are SIGNIFICANTLY more scarce than any of the Colgan's tins.

The tins included round cards--slightly larger than the Colgan's Chips with fantastic color artwork of "Birdmen of the Sky" and are set up very similar to Colgan's chips. Back somewhat similarly typeset--almost more like JuJu Drum backs. Fronts have incredible artwork in comparison to the B/W Colgan's chips.

The set pictures aviators and their planes for the budding hobby of flying. Including both the Wright Brothers, the checklist is likely incomplete at 13 subjects. Some sample photos include:

Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 AM
Tom Boblitt

sorry for the whack-a-doo photo sizing.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Mark Macrae

Nice post Tom. I've never seen those cards from Texas Gum, ironically the same company that produced E-105 Mello Mints
Old 02-23-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Thanks for the responses gentleman!

Thanks for the responses gentleman!

Great info!

Has anyone purchased any of the cards in the three sets in their original tins?

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-23-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 PM

Default Connection between Autosale Gum and Sterling Gum

Incorporated in 1914, Sterling Gum Co. was organized by interests connected with the American Tobacco Company to manufacture and sell chewing gum and other confections. The company took over the plants of the Autosales Gum & Chocolate Co. at Long Island NY, Louisville KY, and Toronto Canada. Products included Sterling gum in two flavors, Dentyne, Bloodberry, Frozen Mints, Bradshaws, Red Heather, Sweet Pea and Colgans Taffy Tolu brands. They even had early inserts to mimic the success that tobacco companies had in the era.

As Tom's example illustrates, the Colgan's Chip tins were still being marketed in 1914 with the Sterling Gum designation. Were any round baseball images still being inserted into to the tins is the question?

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-23-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:04 PM
Fred

I can remember about 25-30 years ago I found a Colgans tin at an antique shop in North Pole Alaska. I bought it because it was a Colgans tin. When I opened it I found the gum and a card. Totally surprised.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 PM

Default Unsurpassed ephemera associated with Colgan's Chips

The ephemera associated with the Colgan's Chips, whether it be their ad pieces or their point of sale displays, is simply the best!

Here's a little eye candy to support my claim!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windowdisplay.jpg (19.5 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpeg Ladiescolgan.jpeg (10.6 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg colganenvelope.jpg (7.5 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg BobFreedmanColgansign.jpg (19.8 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg Colganchipgreenmetaldisplay.jpg (20.3 KB, 555 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-25-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Not sure if there is still life/action to this thread but I'm brandy new to the Colgan Chip cards and tins - such a great collectible!

A nice Net54 member just sold me my first tin (violet) and am now looking to add a mint tin AND 2 HOF cards to display with the tins - Addie Joss and Rube Waddell.

If anyone is still reading this post and might have a lead to either of these cards (raw please, I'd like to display them in my new tins) I'd appreciate any leads you experienced collectors might suggest.

Thanks very much -

Jeff
Old 01-18-2022, 03:42 PM
Jimmy

Great post and some nice info and photos!

Jimmy
Old 06-17-2022, 03:17 PM

Default Time to add another Colgan's Chip Tin variation to the list

Picked up another few Colgan's Chips Mint tins recently.

When I compared one pf the pickups to Tom's previous list, I realized I had another new variation: A Sterling Gum Mint tin with writing around the bottom border.

I also have a variation Colgan's Mint gum tin with a Louisville address with writing around the top lid.

The plot thickens!

Patrick
Old 06-18-2022, 08:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is always something to be learned about vintage. It keeps it interesting...
This card (below) came in this can originally, I believe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Picked up another few Colgan's Chips Mint tins recently.

When I compared one pf the pickups to Tom's previous list, I realized I had another new variation: A Sterling Gum Mint tin with writing around the bottom border.

I also have a variation Colgan's Mint gum tin with a Louisville address with writing around the top lid.

The plot thickens!

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe270redsteinfeldt.jpg (181.5 KB, 296 views)
Old 06-18-2022, 04:52 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Great thread

I successfully chased a type card of each Colgan and a tougher JuJu Drum including the containers. Long ago abandoned....
However this thread is a good excuse to show an early hand held printing stone (for sale btw) with Colgan tin images.....

BTW those chargers and hanger are off the charts!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3564.jpg (193.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3567.jpg (192.8 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 06-18-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:54 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I'm not sure if any old newspaper ads for Colgan's have been posted before but I found this ad from a September 11 1910 Detroit press newspaper.

Detroit_Free_Press_Sun__Sep_11__1910_.jpg
Old 09-22-2022, 03:53 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default An ad I got in trade around 1982

Original ad from ???? dated in hand on the bottom "S. EP. 8-20-1910" . For reference the Colgans Chip Wagner pictured is about the same size as the real card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1553.jpg (89.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1554.jpg (63.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 09-22-2022, 06:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The other images on that stone: I recognize many of the other designs as tobacco tags, which are litho'd metal

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-22-2022 at 06:21 PM.