NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Default PCL guys. asking your help on this Oaks? RPPC

Hey all. I was looking at this postcard on ebay, looked like an normal, small town postcard of some unknown town team. Then I noticed one of the guys looked like he was wearing a Oakland Oaks jersey. Anyway, I bought it, and have been thinking about it since. It looks like most of the guys are wearing jerseys that say C O O S, which I am starting to think would be Coos Bay, Oregon, one guy has a jersey that looks like it says V B C, and one guy says Rochester. Any thoughts on my thinking? Anyone recognize the players? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oaks guy001.jpg (79.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Oaks guy002.jpg (20.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Oaks guy003.jpg (23.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Oaks guy004.jpg (57.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Oaks guy005.jpg (54.7 KB, 194 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

So, if anyone is interested, here are some possible matches I found looking today. Al Cook, Clare Patterson, Rod Murphy, and Tex Pruiett. Just guessing here, and looking for input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al Cook.jpg (8.0 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Clare Patterson.jpg (11.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Rod.jpg (8.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Tex Pruiett.jpg (8.7 KB, 162 views)

Old 05-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
So, if anyone is interested, here are some possible matches I found looking today. Al Cook, Clare Patterson, Rod Murphy, and Tex Pruiett. Just guessing here, and looking for input.
Those look pretty good, but the Clare Patterson photo match has a unibrow, whereas the man in the postcard has a duobrow. And that matching photo of Clare is pretty creepy. It looks like it is from a funeral procession. Evidently he died before the season in 1913 at age 25.

Brian
Old 05-04-2020, 03:00 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Those look pretty good, but the Clare Patterson photo match has a unibrow, whereas the man in the postcard has a duobrow. And that matching photo of Clare is pretty creepy. It looks like it is from a funeral procession. Evidently he died before the season in 1913 at age 25.

Brian
Brian, you’re right about Patterson, the photo was the last one before he died. I didn’t think about the date he died, 1913, which would make it impossible to be him, since the Oaks uniform I think was 1912-14. This pc really bugs, like why would one guy wear his Oaks jersey in a pickup game? That’s why I’m asking, it’s the pants and shoes that bug me.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Perhaps they are gathering for a reunion or maybe a coaches retirement!

Hi Ed,

I have seen other post cards with players wearing multiple uniforms from teams from different leagues. There were quite a few players that played in the PCL as well as the Virginia League, Texas League etc. Many times players wore the uniforms from the last team they played for when they try out for a new team.

Your new postcard is different because they are wearing just there uniform tops. Makes me think that perhaps this is for a reunion of sorts. Perhaps a retirement for a baseball coach or manager.

Patrick
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Agree with your guess on Oakland Oaks player

Ed,

I agree that the Oakland Oaks player looks like Ralph Kreitz.

Patrick
Old 05-05-2020, 07:33 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Ed,

I agree that the Oakland Oaks player looks like Ralph Kreitz.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. Here is the photo we were talking about. Using your theory of a reunion or something along those lines, Kreitz makes sense. It would put this postcard to 1913, which is when Kreitz was leaving to go play for Venice. I could see a couple buddies deciding to make a trip up to Coos Bay, maybe some connection there, but even if not, it is a pretty place. Then getting together with some of the local ball players, who knows? Anyway, it is a pretty fun postcard, gave me something to do while locked up all day playing teacher to my son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kreitz.jpg (11.2 KB, 59 views)