NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default RIP Steve Dalkowski

Just heard that he passed away at age 80.

Steve Dalkowski.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

The best to have never played
Old 04-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Old 04-24-2020, 04:10 PM

RIP to the ultimate enigma:

Old 04-24-2020, 11:04 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

When I read about Koufax working with those Dodger coaches to master control of his lively fastball, I often wonder what might've been if Dalkowski had landed in the Dodgers organization
Old 04-25-2020, 12:35 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

From what I've read of him, Dalkowski probably had the fastest fastball ever. It probably isn't an exaggeration to estimate his top speed at 110+ mph in the pre-radar gun era. He could throw a baseball clear over a 400' center-field fence from home plate. He even through a baseball right through that wooden fence!

Ted Williams himself stood in for batting practice against Dalkowski at the tail end of Ted's career. He took one pitch - a fastball that popped into the catcher's mitt right under his chin . . . and promptly left. "I never want to face him again," is the quote I recall Williams saying, followed by, "I never even saw the ball."
Old 04-25-2020, 02:15 AM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
When I read about Koufax working with those Dodger coaches to master control of his lively fastball, I often wonder what might've been if Dalkowski had landed in the Dodgers organization
I once read an account from Earl Weaver that said the Orioles felt he had improved his control issues and were bringing him to Baltimore. Right as that happened, his arm was injured.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default dalkowski

If I remember right, Norm Sherry, the catcher, was more help to Koufax than anyone....Got him to back off a little bit, although I'm sure there was more to it than that.

Dalkowski... boy, Paul Richards, who had been in baseball since the 1920s and was one of the smartest guys in baseball, was in Baltimore when they signed all those talented, young pitchers, Estrada, Jerry Walker, Steve Barber, Fisher and Pappas. The newspapers called them the Kiddie Korps. With the exception of Pappas, every one of them burned out fast.

It never made any sense why Richards, an ex catcher, and Harry Brecheen, who was no fool, worked those guys like rented mules. Somebody, somebody should have taken more time with Dalkowski and the rest of them.
lumberjack
Old 04-25-2020, 10:58 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

I doubt a different pitching coach would’ve mattered. He was also a pretty bad alcoholic. Would have never succeeded until he got his problem under control, which didn’t happen until the 1990s.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Jonathan Weil
Jon.than We.il

RIP.....The photo brought back a personal memory, as well, having grown up in South Florida. You can tell from the background the photo was taken at the old Miami Stadium, where the Orioles held spring training for 30+ years, and before them the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers. A grand ballpark it was, in its heyday, with amazing political history. "Built by former Cuban Minister of Education José Aleman, with money funneled from the Cuban Treasury, the stadium was a half-million-dollar monument to Miami’s big-league dreams," as the Miami Herald once put it. Read more at the link below, which has photos, too, including shots from the inside of the stadium showing the cantilevered roof over the grandstand that's in the photo above.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...233583532.html
Old 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default dalkowski

Perhaps Ryne Duren is the one guy from that period who comes closets to Dalkowski. Duran, who also started in the Baltimore farm system, managed to get a grip on his control (I remember how he would come into a game and throw his first warm up pitch five feet over the catcher's head just to freak everyone out), but he always had a drinking problem that only accelerated once his ability to pitch was problematic (he once got into a fist fight with Ralph Houk, how dumb was that).

Maybe drinking led to his decline, maybe he just lost his swift.
lumberjack
Old 04-25-2020, 03:24 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Dalkowski

There is a great HBO documentary called Fastball which actually spends a little bit of time talking about him. Great movie. May he rest in peace.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Alan Strout

Default Steve Dalkowski

Here's a few Steve Dalkowski items from my collection that you don't see that often. RIP Steve.

1961 and 1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook Cards

1961 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Dalkowski, Steve).jpg 1963 Baltimore News-Post Scrapbook (Dalkowski, Steve).jpg

1963 Orioles Team Issued 8x10 Photo and Postcard

Dalkowski, Steve 1.jpg 1963 Postcard.JPG
Old 04-25-2020, 04:59 PM
Marc

"A ripe Strawberry through a locomotive." Nice.

Those Orioles issues show that he sure had some serious chest hair.

I know that one of the stories about him is that he took off part of somebody's ear with a pitch. I always thought that it would be interesting for someone to go around and interview batters who faced him. I'm sure that would be an interesting read.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1974750]Here's a few Steve Dalkowski items from my collection that you don't see that often. RIP Steve.

Awesome stuff.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:19 AM
John

Default New Britain High School

If you do a little more research Steve Dalkowski also played in the mythical high school football championship game played in the orange bowl in 1955
. he was a rotating quarterback in that game. He was coached by John Toner who later went on to hire Jim Clahoun and Geno Auriemma for UCONN.

john

Last edited by talkinbaseball; 04-28-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenJon View Post
RIP.....The photo brought back a personal memory, as well, having grown up in South Florida. You can tell from the background the photo was taken at the old Miami Stadium, where the Orioles held spring training for 30+ years, and before them the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers. A grand ballpark it was, in its heyday, with amazing political history. "Built by former Cuban Minister of Education José Aleman, with money funneled from the Cuban Treasury, the stadium was a half-million-dollar monument to Miami’s big-league dreams," as the Miami Herald once put it. Read more at the link below, which has photos, too, including shots from the inside of the stadium showing the cantilevered roof over the grandstand that's in the photo above.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...233583532.html
Thanks for sharing. I saw many Orioles Spring Training games at Miami Stadium in the 1970'S. And picked up a few autographs at those games. Also saw a Pink Floyd concert there :-) As for Dalkowski, I agree with someone else's comment here that interviewing batters that faced Dalkowski would make a great read!

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 04-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Thought this video was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsDzE7jtek&t=292s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (67.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice thread. As we get older (and older) 80 doesn't' sound like such an old age. May he RIP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Just heard that he passed away at age 80.

Attachment 396280
Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 AM
John

If anyone else would like to read more about Steve, just Google new britain herald and click on sports, nice article.
John
Old 05-04-2020, 12:21 PM

RIP another one gone.