NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: James Gallo

What are people's thoughts on removing pencil from the back of the card. This would be on an area without color or text. What is the best and safest way to do this. I am not talking about a chemical but just an eraser....?

Is this restoration?
Thoughts?

thanks

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

DESIGN Artgum works well, it is distributed by Sanford.

DESIGN Kneaded Rubber can work well, too. it is softer and will remind you of modeling clay. It is for erasing graphite, charcoal, pastels, and crayon. Sanford distributes it, too.

Neither will get rid of all marks completely. Both can be gently used without damaging most cards. Neither leaves a residue.

And I believe that either could be aggressively used so that a card could be marked by the use. Patience. And be gentle.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: JK

I know there are some who disagree, but personally, I dont have any problem with removing pencil marks from a card.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Fred C

I agree... removing pencil marks with only an eraser isn't a sin in my book.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

soak it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: T206Collector

SGC and PSA can usually still find where the pencil mark was and will still grade accordingly, but I think the card looks better without the pencil mark even with the same technical grade or MK qualifier.

Oh, and I don't think it's restoration--you're not adding anything to the card, like foreign paper or chemicals. And the grading companies are aware of the practice but still slab the cards with a grade and sometimes a qualifier. They wouldn't do that if the industry expectation was that this was taboo, i.e., trimming, adding color.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: boxingcardman

My first thought was "from which orifice", which shows how slow my life is...

Artgum is a great product. I used them extensively while I was taking art classes. It is designed not to shred paper, unlike a regular eraser. I would not use a kneaded eraser for pencil marks; it is really designed for dustier media like charcoal.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Zinn

I have no problem with removing pencil marks. It just makes the card all the more asthetically pleasing. Whether PSA or SGC picks up on it is irrelevant to me. It is what it is and will be graded accordingly.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: leon

Look for a Mars Plastic Eraser. I got a pack of 4 large ones for about $4 a long time ago.....it's a lifetime supply. The eraser, as well as other artgum ones, will crumble easily thereby making it safer to erase. I have no problem with erasing pencil marks on cards. I have even disclosed it when selling to a board member even though there was no trace and SGC didn't see it either when they encased the card. The only issue is if whoever wrote on your card did it with a heavy hand...then indentions will be left....Maybe that's what Kevin is talking about when he says to soak it? regards

Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Jason L

do I care that much? not really.
I just think that the markings become part of the card and it's history of travel.
I just sent in a nice vintage card to SGC and kept the pencilled numbering on the back of it. It was in a PSA (MK) holder, and I'm sure it will get downgraded for it.
Am I an idiot? perhaps. wouldn't be the first time I've been called that. But you know what, it's still the same card that I bought, and I love it just the same.

Personally, I would be too nervous that I would damage the card further.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: leon

I have to agree with you (somewhat) on erasing. Sometimes I will leave the markings as they are neat and give more identification to the cards history. This Weaver came from the Trucker Boy find and these marks will stay on it....This "Carl" person was very prolific in his writing of his name on PCL cards.......Kind of funny how this was stashed away since it was collected but had his name on it?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Scott Levy

Before all this mania with grading occurred, it was not uncommon for someone to lightly mark a price in pencil on the back of a card. I've seen many and owned a few examples like this. Art erasers generally work well, especially with light pencil marks and I have no issue personally with doing so.

Regards,
Scott

Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Steve Murray

where did you go to?

I've seen a number of Carl's 1911 Zeenuts. Some with his full name, some just Carl and some with just his initials C. E. (See scan). Interestingly, though I've handled numerous 1912 zeenuts, I cannot recall ever seeing one with his name or initials.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Removing Pencil

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I also have a couple dozen of these cards marked C.E., Carl, Carl E. and Carl Everett. I would not mind a few dozen more. Would not think of erasing them.