NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2022, 04:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default And it's in, Ortiz has been elected to the Hall

Only he is allowed to pop positive and face no repercussion in the vote. Bonds denied for the 10th time, Ortiz in. What a complete joke. Turning it off now.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:20 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

In the spirit of Meat Loaf…….2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

If you get my meaning.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I believe the others get a second chance with the Modern committee this summer

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 PM
David M.

I'm disappointed in baseball. I'm sure Ortiz is a nice guy, but they applied a different set of standards to “Big Papi” since he is an MLB studio analyst for FOX Sports. He contributes to the network's regular season, All-Star Game and MLB Postseason coverage and I'm sure that helped him get in the hall.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:18 PM
Mike F - 34

Absolutely crazy...

Totally agree, Ortiz, referred to as 'Big Sloppy' by Yankee fans gets a pass when the other guys don't... He might be the only guy that was 'mistaken' for someone else, while flirting around with the drug lords wife... Put that on his bust...
Old 01-25-2022, 05:23 PM
pete ullman

Big papi may be HOF material...but certainly not more so than bonds/arod/clemens.

It's appalling. The whole world is upside down at the moment!

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-25-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:26 PM
A.J. Johnson

Papi never tested positive in ALL the years after the rules were put in place. He's a deserving 1st ballot HOFer. I've never witnessed a better clutch hitter.

Having said that, I do also believe, Clemens and Bonds deserve to be in.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-25-2022, 05:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Papi never tested positive in ALL the years after the rules were put in place. He's a deserving 1st ballot HOFer. I've never witnessed a better clutch hitter.

That is proof how horrible the testing was.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:31 PM
David M.

Quote:
Papi never tested positive in ALL the years after the rules were put in place.
Bonds and Clemens both ended their careers in 2007 without a suspension or proven positive test from Major League Baseball.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Bonds and Clemens didn’t test positive in all the years the testing was in place either. It makes zero logical sense that Ortiz and Ortiz alone is forgiven while everyone else continues to be denied. Ortiz was nowhere near as good as Bonds, Rodriguez, Clemens.

This years ballot seems to have very little to due with the 2 dominating factors of recent history: statistical performance and steroid status. Ortiz is let in for no consistent logical reason, Schilling is denied because for the first time ever people want to invoke the character clause for off field behavior (can anyone cite any single example of a player kept out of the hall for off field behavior?) to punish outspoken political views the media writers as a group hate, Vizquel has a historic plummet over his much more serious off the field allegations.

Hell, how does Gary Sheffield get more votes than Alex Rodriguez? This ballot appears the result of different than normal standards and outright double standards.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Don't know how good or bad it was. I'm not a doctor or a steroid lab technician. But the testing did catch quite a few players and Papi wasn't one of them.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 01-25-2022, 06:01 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:

+1 agree with every word. Most clutch hitter I ever saw. And I am a lifetime Yankees fan. Finally, yes, Clemens and Bonds ought to be in.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-25-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Curt Schilling BBWAA votes 2019-20-21-22: 60.9, 70, 71.1, 58.6

For me the story is the BBWAA voters' trash treatment of Curt Schilling. Either he was qualified (close to it, finishing first in 2021 at 71.1% following years of 70% and 60.9% in 2020 and 2019, respectively) or the BBWAA votes don't amount to much. Seems like the BBWAA will punish Schilling with a lengthy wait because he's outspoken politically. The obvious HOF votes go to the BBWAA and when they miss one (like Schilling) it's due to ignorance or ignorance and bias. Haven't followed MLB since they went woke two years ago. All that's left of Baseball interest to me is its history including (to a far lesser degree) the Hall of Fame. Oh, of course, pre-2020 cards and collectibles.

Last edited by SteveMitchell; 01-25-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:04 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Bonds and Clemens didn’t test positive in all the years the testing was in place either. It makes zero logical sense that Ortiz and Ortiz alone is forgiven while everyone else continues to be denied. Ortiz was nowhere near as good as Bonds, Rodriguez, Clemens.

This years ballot seems to have very little to due with the 2 dominating factors of recent history: statistical performance and steroid status. Ortiz is let in for no consistent logical reason, Schilling is denied because for the first time ever people want to invoke the character clause for off field behavior (can anyone cite any single example of a player kept out of the hall for off field behavior?) to punish outspoken political views the media writers as a group hate, Vizquel has a historic plummet over his much more serious off the field allegations.

Hell, how does Gary Sheffield get more votes than Alex Rodriguez? This ballot appears the result of different than normal standards and outright double standards.
Schilling will never get in after his evil rants. Far beyond the "character clause" with him.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-25-2022, 06:08 PM
Mike F - 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Did Bonds... so why the double standard.. maybe that Drug Lord has some pull in the hall votes
Old 01-25-2022, 06:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Take a step back and enjoy the moment, what an outfit, what a reaction.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...t%20all%2Dtime).

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:15 PM

Schillings problem wasn't that his rants were political, it's that they targeted the guys voting on the hall of Fame. If you want to win an election, treating the electorate badly is a very poor strategy. (See, eg, both "makers and takers" and "deplorables", and note who didn't win their respective elections.) There are plenty of conservatives in the hall of Fame.

And this year in particular, his vote totals may be due, in part, to asking to be removed from the ballot. The hall declined to do so, but individual voters may have honored his wishes.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Don't know how good or bad it was. I'm not a doctor or a steroid lab technician. But the testing did catch quite a few players and Papi wasn't one of them.
Much better quality testing never caught Lance Armstrong. It usually only catches the players that can'i afford the good stuff. Plus when the test they only test for one or a very small number of PEDs. It is not a test that each time covers everything. That would be way to expensive. This is not a guess by me I have a 30+ year friend that works at the lab in Las Vegas that tests pro athletes for PEDs.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:38 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

My thought process used to be 'keep the juicers out', but when Bud Selig, and a lot of the other managers/executives who enabled PED usage (or at least looked the other way) started going in, I figured it was a bit hypocritical to keep out only the players.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
For me the story is the BBWAA voters' trash treatment of Curt Schilling. Either he was qualified (close to it, finishing first in 2021 at 71.1% following years of 70% and 60.9% in 2020 and 2019, respectively) or the BBWAA votes don't amount to much. Seems like the BBWAA will punish Schilling with a lengthy wait because he's outspoken politically. The obvious HOF votes go to the BBWAA and when they miss one (like Schilling) it's due to ignorance or ignorance and bias. Haven't followed MLB since they went woke two years ago. All that's left of Baseball interest to me is its history including (to a far lesser degree) the Hall of Fame. Oh, of course, pre-2020 cards and collectibles.
Curt Schilling advocated the killing of reporters in the United States. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. That's not politics. That's called character and human decency.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-25-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Curt Schilling advocated the killing of reporters in the United States. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. That's not politics. That's called character and human decency.
It more likely was a jackass in Curt's case.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Schilling will never get in after his evil rants. Far beyond the "character clause" with him.
You might think it is a good thing that it is being invoked for the first time ever, but keeping him out for "evil rants" absolutely falls under the character clause, unless one is saying that the Hall should completely ignore it's own rules to keep out vocal supporters of the political opposition. Which.... Well, that's not surprising these days at all.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:01 PM

Character clause and yet Cap Anson is still in. What a hoot!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:10 PM

I do not understand the Schilling debate. I would argue that while being a jerk doesn’t help the majority of pitchers with similar records are not in the Hall see Luis Tiant, Ron Guidry, Vida Blue, Bob Welch, Dave Stewart, Bucky Walters, Orel Herschiser, Lew Burdette, Kevin Brown, Dave Key, David Cone, David Wells, Billy Pierce, Allie Reynolds, Don Newcombe and many more that I cannot think of right now.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
I do not understand the Schilling debate. I would argue that while being a jerk doesn’t help the majority of pitchers with similar records are not in the Hall see Luis Tiant, Ron Guidry, Vida Blue, Bob Welch, Dave Stewart, Bucky Walters, Orel Herschiser, Lew Burdette, Kevin Brown, Dave Key, David Cone, David Wells, Billy Pierce, Allie Reynolds, Don Newcombe and many more that I cannot think of right now.
But, but the bloody sock!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:25 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

So Papi never did test positive? Everyone is just assuming he did? or he did....why the uproar?

I'm in Chicago so paid little attention to Big Papi and the Red Sox, and the Yankees for that matter, unless they were in the playoffs or Series.

I personally always thought Frank Thomas juiced, look at his melon.

And he played football, and in the 80's I'd say 75-80% of every football team juiced.

And Big Frank got in.

But could be completely wrong. That's always a possibility.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:29 PM

There is no way Frank Thomas used steroids. He was one of the players who publicly said that he would refuse the initial survey testing so that more then 5% of the players failed and ensured that there would be widespread testing.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:40 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:

+1 agree exactly

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
So Papi never did test positive? Everyone is just assuming he did? or he did....why the uproar?
He tested positive during the first round of testing. That's not speculation - Ortiz himself has admitted it.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:56 PM

I guess there is no more uproar about a career DH getting in after Edgar Martinez was elected. Personally, I don't think any DH deserves first ballot election. Defense matters. What's next . . . holders in Canton?

And what if Bonds and Clemens were elected? Would they even accept? Imagine the induction speech. Remember Enos Slaughter's opening remark?
God only knows what Bonds would say. It might be the first speech to get booed. How many fellow HOFers would skip the ceremony in protest? The sanctity of the induction ceremony would be in serious jeopardy.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

[QUOTE=Collectorsince62;2189736]I guess there is no more uproar about a career DH getting in after Edgar Martinez was elected. Personally, I don't think any DH deserves first ballot election. Defense matters. What's next . . . holders in Canton?

"holders"....hahahahahahahaa!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2022, 08:07 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
He tested positive during the first round of testing. That's not speculation - Ortiz himself has admitted it.
So he did test positive and there is a public record of it. Ok, cuz someone earlier in the thread said he did not.

So if there is record of this, I too am dumbfounded. How does he get in and not Clemens & Bonds???!!!!!

Has any voter explained, gave reasoning, for voting him in and not the other 2?

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 01-25-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:11 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
There is no way Frank Thomas used steroids. He was one of the players who publicly said that he would refuse the initial survey testing so that more then 5% of the players failed and ensured that there would be widespread testing.
I don't know......that's just Frank talking, and again, could be true, but could also be a lie. A sports figure ever lie before?

I'm not sure I knew a non-QB/Kicker/Punter that wasn't juicing at every level in the 80's. I'm sure there were some, but not many.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 01-25-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:16 PM
Ken Wirt

I'll "Buck" the trend here, and celebrate the 2022 class with some cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 334. Bud Fowler.jpg (77.2 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg 335. Gil Hodges.jpg (77.3 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg 336. Jim Kaat.jpg (77.5 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg 337. Minnie Minoso.jpg (77.8 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg 338. Tony Oliva.jpg (78.8 KB, 609 views)
File Type: jpg 339. Buck O'Neil.jpg (74.4 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg 340. David Ortiz.jpg (75.0 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg i. Jack Graney.jpg (78.4 KB, 609 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:28 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quite the average group there.

Give me Bonds and Clemens over any and all of them.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:40 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I guess there is no more uproar about a career DH getting in after Edgar Martinez was elected. Personally, I don't think any DH deserves first ballot election. Defense matters.
So you’d also agree that AL pitchers shouldn’t get in? After all, offense matters.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
So he did test positive and there is a public record of it. Ok, cuz someone earlier in the thread said he did not.

So if there is record of this, I too am dumbfounded. How does he get in and not Clemens & Bonds???!!!!!

Has any voter explained, gave reasoning, for voting him in and not the other 2?
He’s a nice guy and he’s in the media now so let’s look the other way. I guess.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 PM
Jim Todd

Quote:
I don't know......that's just Frank talking, and again, could be true, but could also be a lie. A sports figure ever lie before?

I'm not sure I knew a non-QB/Kicker/Punter that wasn't juicing at every level in the 80's. I'm sure there were some, but not many.
From the beginning, The Big Hurt was always a loud outspoken opponent to steroids. Most other stars of the era avoided the subject. He advocated for testing. He was always built like a truck, even when he was young. He played TE at Auburn. His existing physique was what Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc we’re trying to bulk up to by using the steroids. They started with normal athletic physiques and became huge later on. Frank was already huge.

Last edited by jimtodd; 01-25-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

This is the horror of the steroid era, that it’s almost impossible to prove a negative and almost everyone except maybe Derek Jeter at some point has been under suspicion by someone.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:36 PM
Jim Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
I'll "Buck" the trend here, and celebrate the 2022 class with some cards.
Awesome, I wondered if there was a Buck O’Neill card in existence!
Old 01-26-2022, 12:06 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I guess there is no more uproar about a career DH getting in after Edgar Martinez was elected. Personally, I don't think any DH deserves first ballot election. Defense matters. What's next . . . holders in Canton?

And what if Bonds and Clemens were elected? Would they even accept? Imagine the induction speech. Remember Enos Slaughter's opening remark?
God only knows what Bonds would say. It might be the first speech to get booed. How many fellow HOFers would skip the ceremony in protest? The sanctity of the induction ceremony would be in serious jeopardy.
Although I'm a National League proponent, I don't have a problem with DHs getting inducted. Perhaps the voters should be a bit more scrutinizing of DH candidates than position players, and maintain a slightly higher standard for their induction.

I personally have a bigger problem with the number of Closers that have been enshrined. There are many more Closers than DHs in the Hall, and I believe the DH position is equally (if not more) important. Just my .02
Old 01-26-2022, 12:41 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
The first round of testing was supposed to be a blind test to see if there was cause to do more testing in the future. The NY Times leaked some of the results and named Ortiz as testing positive. Ortiz has always claimed that that was a hit piece by the NY media because there were a bunch of Yankees that had also tested positive and no one from Boston. I don't believe he ever admitted to using PED's. The fact that he never tested positive in ALL the years after even as the testing got better and more accurate says to me he either never took PED's or stopped after the league made it illegal. I have a hard time believing that he somehow evaded the hundreds of tests over the years with designer PED's.

Regardless, he's immortalized now and deservingly so. Loved watching him dismantle the Yankees in 2004.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ortiz97Fleer512psa10front.jpg (77.0 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 01-26-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:08 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Character clause and yet Cap Anson is still in. What a hoot!
Ain't that the truth. Unofficial rule: character issues only count much for people whose most front page news time was prior to the 1980s. If you were an awful person before that, it often doesn't matter and you are still revered (unless you threw games, bet on ones you managed, or chopped up puppies and kittens).

And I'm not even sure the chopped part would matter.

This rule often applies outside of baseball as well.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:18 AM
Tony Baldwin

Curt Schilling said, “I would rather not be judged by the writers, but by the former players and historians who make up the Hall’s Era Committees. That appears to be the best route to Cooperstown.”

I believe most of us would agree with that. Like many of us who have our own individual personal views, attitudes, and justifications about the PED guys, so do the writer’s, and unfortunately, it’s only their votes that count.

I believe most are smart enough to know that those players we talk about used PEDs (don't need a positive test or a smoking needle to know that), and there are many others that we don’t know about. We don’t know all who used; how much they used, and how long they used; and we will never know. People can put whatever spin they want on it, in order to justify how they see it, but we all know!

With that being said, I have no issues with Ortiz being in the Hall of Fame. Except that I'm a die-hard Yankee fan, so that part hurts.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:23 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Papi failed a test. Manfred said it might have been a false positive but that he failed a test is a fact.

If Papi was a disliked guy, like Barry Bonds, writers would've used that test to justify not voting for him. But since hes well liked, enough writers gave him the benefit of the doubt or looked the other way to vote him in.

Writers have proven they cannot be fair and objective. Baseball needs a new voting system.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:27 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Papi failed a test. Manfred said it might have been a false positive but that he failed a test is a fact.

If Papi was a disliked guy, like Barry Bonds, writers would've used that test to justify not voting for him. But since hes well liked, enough writers gave him the benefit of the doubt or looked the other way to vote him in.

Writers have proven they cannot be fair and objective. Baseball needs a new voting system.
I agree 100%!!!
Old 01-26-2022, 06:33 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Absolutely!
Old 01-26-2022, 06:38 AM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I believe the others get a second chance with the Modern committee this summer
I understand this group mostly "older" HOFers will not be so favorable for Bonds/Clemens/et al....unless they can get Selig, Piazza, Bagwell and othes from that era on the committee I do not think they will get in on this committee for a while.

IMO, it is a Museum and it is lacking without the all-time hit leader, HR leader and Cy-Young winner as electees

Lasltly, Schilling outperforms all the names others placed here by way of 3,000 K's, 3 WS, Bloody Sock and over-all post-season record. During his playing career he was regarded as a great teammate and was recognized for his volunteer work (he won a Clemente award). His post career D-bagness killed his BBWAA possibilities.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:56 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Time to move on from this. No amount of postulating from either faction will change the following facts:

Ortiz is in the HOF

Bonds is not in the HOF
Clemens is not in the HOF
Sosa is not in the HOF

Today is a new day, let's focus on who we hate for next years vote. Get an early start as there is plenty of time for it.

Personally I cannot wait until Todd Helton gets voted in. Gonna be a couple of years though. I can wait.......

One thing I believe we all can agree on is this: If a person that is issued a ballot to vote for the HOF and turns in an empty ballot, they should be removed from ever voting again for any further HOF ballots. And frankly if someone cannot muster at least 5 people to vote for, they should just never be able to vote again either. IMHO

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Don't know why they even need to keep electing people. At this point just tell the story of baseball, good, bad and ugly, and leave it at that.

The Hall is such an amazing place. A shame that this debate about electing people will never end.

Soon the same debate will continue about guys suspected/charged with domestic abuse or drugs and DWIs or may other things. It's not going away.

Obviously Bonds, Clemens, etc. are the fall guys for an era everyone knew was taking place and looked the other way.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-26-2022 at 07:17 AM.