NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2022, 05:53 AM
Rich Klein

Default Bob Lemke

I usually don't post the podcasts I'm on with Dr. Beckett but we were fortunate enough to chat with T.S. O'Connell about Mr. Lemke and it ran in today's Beckett Insight Podcast.

https://beckettinsights.podbean.com/...nd-rich-klein/

Regards
Rich
Old 01-12-2022, 08:16 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

thank you for sharing - really enjoyed this!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-12-2022, 08:28 AM
Frank Wakefield

Thanks for posting the link, otherwise I'd have missed that.

I exchanged a bunch of emails with Bob back when he was working on the Standard Catalog. Had a few phone calls with him, I wish I had met him. I recall the foolish feeling I had as I sent him a card that he'd not seen and was reluctant to list anything he didn't KNOW existed. If might have been a Green Joyce card. Anyway, a few weeks later the card returned to me. I maybe sent about half a dozen to him. Tickles me to see a picture of MY card in the catalog these days. We'd not be where we are now in the vintage hobby without having followed along the path he blazed. Thanks Bob.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That was a very good podcast, Rich.
Bob and I got along great. I always appreciated his attention to detail. He would always send me a free catalog for the little help I provided. He is sorely missed in the hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob1.jpg (73.3 KB, 784 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 08:55 AM

Default Bob Lemke

Rich- That was fun to listen to. As an SCD advertiser since 1981- I knew Bob very well- and really appreciate you guys doing a tribute to him. TS did a great job. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:43 AM
Jimmy

Can't believe it's been already 5 years since Bob died. A huge loss for our hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CYiSCEMWsAQY-YV.jpg (76.2 KB, 737 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:11 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Thanks for posting that. Bob did so many great things for our hobby. Proud to say that I knew him.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 01-12-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Bob Lemke

I got into the hobby too late to know Bob, but I refer to his 2011 Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards nearly every day. The cover is almost worn off. So much easier than trying to find things online, I've used it so much that my thumb goes directly to the page I am looking for.

I enjoyed listening to the Pod cast and learning about his contributions to the hobby. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Every thread needs a card...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beckett.jpg (75.5 KB, 691 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Mark Macrae

Thanks Rich,
Nicely done & hope that the generations to come appreciate the foundation that he..... and Beckett.... built with these checklists and publications
Old 01-12-2022, 11:10 AM

I also liked his "cards that never were" and purchased a few of those. He is missed.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Thanks for posting that. Bob did so many great things for our hobby. Proud to say that I knew him.
+1 agreed

Thanks for sharing the podcast

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Thanks, Rich

That was a wonderful listen. I remember reading his columns in SCD and being amazed at the details he would go into about different vintage sets. Your brain really has to be wired a certain way to pull off those columns AND all his work on the catalog.
Years ago SCD had a "we'll estimate the value of your items for free" booth at a National, as I recall. Guess who did most of the estimating? Yep, Lemke. I brought in some Baseball Hall of Fame copper plaques that the HOF ended up cancelling after six sets of nine. Lemke gave me a fair estimate, as I recall. The guy oozed wisdom and kindness.
I knew he was in a wheelchair BUT I had no idea he suffered in so much pain. We all should be thankful that he was born to serve the hobby the way he did. Thanks, Mr. Lemke, for all your contributions. I only wish there were a baseball card HOF. It was meant for people like you.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:56 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Podcast

Thanks for posting it was a joy to listen to. I knew John Stommen from the shows he set up at in Michigan. I remember talking to him about the sale of the digest to Krause. He was excited about it and felt that it would be better in a new home. I met Bob Lemke at a show but it was so long ago I don't exactly remember the year or where. I remember him walking with a cane. Great guy.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:59 PM

Default bob lemke

Hello N54ers.

A lot said but clearly not enough about this
"hobby" icon Bob and I communicated over many years most especially weird stuff that I came across after 70 or so years of collecting. He was actually more than an icon to me but also a great friend from far away.

I recall us discussing Globe Printing cards before they were commonly known but more especially the 1948 Montreal Royals team issue photos.

All of his work can still be found and enjoyed on his many blogs which I look at regularly.

I know he is resting in peace and knowing Bob is probably bored with all the superlative comments about him so I will close.

Sealmark
Old 01-12-2022, 03:23 PM
thomas c killeen

Default Thank you Rich

Was great to recognize Bob Lemke for all of his accolades and specifically his genuine interest in growing the hobby. Imagine cataloguing and determining so many obscure cards and sets was a tremendous labor of love. Bob had to make many decisions on variation vs. error before they would go into the catalog. Just very grateful for Mr. Lemke and his body of work.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:45 AM
Ben North

Thank you for the link.

Like many I have a Bob story.

Many years ago when I discovered his custom cards I bought some of his custom Jello boxes that I still have. At that time I wanted to learn how to make custom items. Nobody back then would share any of their secrets on doing it. Not Bob, he was always very helpful whenever I had any questions.

Not the boxes from Bob but Bob inspired practice boxes I found recently when cleaning in my card room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobl.jpg (71.4 KB, 463 views)
Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Default Bob Lemke was a good man

Add me to the list of Bob Lemke admirers. I shared a lot of information with him on un-cataloged oddball baseball issues. He was always receptive. The Charlie Peete avatar I use is my tribute to him.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Thanks for posting. Hard to believe it has been five years already.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:33 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalcollector View Post
Add me to the list of Bob Lemke admirers. I shared a lot of information with him on un-cataloged oddball baseball issues. He was always receptive. The Charlie Peete avatar I use is my tribute to him.
Bob sent me this same exact card just out of the blue as I was collecting Nebraska minor league cards and memorabilia at the time and Peete was a batting champion with the Omaha Cardinals. He was the nicest guy this hobby has ever seen. RIP Bob.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:01 AM
Jay Cee

Bob was a great person and took the hobby to new heights. I wish I could find old archives of his articles in the weekly SCD papers from the 90s. I don’t think they exist. Enjoyed many conversations with him and he was the main reason I started collecting 19th century baseball currencies..

Thanks for posting the pod cast
Old 01-17-2022, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Bob was a great person and took the hobby to new heights. I wish I could find old archives of his articles in the weekly SCD papers from the 90s. I don’t think they exist. Enjoyed many conversations with him and he was the main reason I started collecting 19th century baseball currencies..

Thanks for posting the pod cast
Bob really knew so much about vintage. It was great when he did the big book as he would put verified nuances in there... I am not sure there is any book as all inclusive, for vintage, than his 2010s ones., They were huge!

Last edited by Leon; 01-17-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Rich Klein

One thing T.S. pointed out was Bob got just as much pleasure of knowing the new stuff as he did pre-war. Trust me when I say this, Bob kicked butt on all cataloguing old and new

I also sent this thread to Dr. Beckett to read and see who commented and he was very pleased at the engagement and the knowledge of the people who have posted in this thread. It's nice to see good things in this hobby.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-17-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 PM

I emailed with Bob a number of times adding cards to various checklists. I spent an afternoon with him at the old Richmond Tuff Stuff Show reviewing my W590 set which expanded the checklist and was the inspiration for one of his SCD articles, which I happen to have found this weekend cleaning my basement.

Andy