NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Colgan Mint Chip empty tins?

Would love to hear more about the Colgan Mint Chips tin and cards… I’ve seen the cards on their own but have found them to be a little dull - no color, kind of small

But I just saw this image of the card WITH and INSIDE the original Tin (see below, not my card) and am thinking this might be a cool new and different addition to my HOF collection

Can anyone shed any light on this set AND the tins? Are the empty tins expensive and/or hard to find? And I assume I could buy them seperate and apart but and card from that set will fit any empty tin?

That true?

Thx for any info!

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94A30740-2E8B-4E71-B9EC-1AACB991E5DC.jpg (16.0 KB, 235 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 01:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Tins are not that expensive. I remember buying one for like $30.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:10 PM
Rob

I have these somewhere in a drawer. They came as a throw-in with a small lot that I bought. I have about 50 of the cards from buying lots of a dozen or so. I thought of going for the set, and changed my mind due to the set's giant size. I think the cards are kind of neat, especially the Hofer's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colganstins075.jpg (66.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg colganstinsb076.jpg (73.1 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg colganscyyoung835.jpg (48.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:55 PM
Bob C.

As others have said, not that expensive or rare at all. I've got about 8 or so tins myself, with them being of the two designs shown by what RCMcKenzie posted images of. The Mint Chips tins are a dark, forest green type of color, while the Violet Chips tins are a very light reddish-purple, violet type color, as shown in the posted images. I have seen some Violet Chips tins that appear to be a little darker, reddish tone as well. Not sure if there may be other color variations or not, or if these differences could also be due to time, aging, sunlight, fading, etc. The tins do add a little something if you go to display the cards/chips with them.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:18 PM
Fred

About 30 years ago (probably more) I found one at an antique store and it had a piece of gum and a card in it.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:40 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
As others have said, not that expensive or rare at all. I've got about 8 or so tins myself, with them being of the two designs shown by what RCMcKenzie posted images of. The Mint Chips tins are a dark, forest green type of color, while the Violet Chips tins are a very light reddish-purple, violet type color, as shown in the posted images. I have seen some Violet Chips tins that appear to be a little darker, reddish tone as well. Not sure if there may be other color variations or not, or if these differences could also be due to time, aging, sunlight, fading, etc. The tins do add a little something if you go to display the cards/chips with them.
Great background, thx…. Is there a way to know which tin a card may have come in?
Old 01-16-2022, 04:42 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Hallelujah! Finally something for my collection/display that won’t break the bank.

If anyone would like to sell a nice looking tin, please feel free to message me - I think the tin and the card together would look pretty cool (maybe even 2 cards, one in each of the 2 tins)

Thx

Jeff
Old 01-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Fred

Jeff, do a search on ebay - there have been several recent sales of the tins. After I did a search, I found that there have been modern versions of the Colgan's Chip cards released - totally surprised me. Nope, no interest in them for me. I like the real deal.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:32 PM
Jim Reynolds

I think the tins are cool. I have just started getting into the Colgan's proof side of things myself. I recently purchased this small group that hadn't seen the light of day in many, many years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proofs.jpg (65.5 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 01-16-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Great background, thx…. Is there a way to know which tin a card may have come in?
To my knowledge, absolutely no way to tell if only certain cards were distributed in one or the other versions of the tins (Violet or Mint Chips tins). Both tin versions are the exact same size and dimensions, so I would suspect the only thing that varied between the two tin versions was the flavor of the accompanying gum. The actual Colgan's Chip cards would have likely been randomly inserted in either gum flavor tin. My understanding was they came one card per tin.

As someone else mentioned, tins with gum chips still inside have been found and do exist. I guess that could add to a display, but I sure wouldn't try chewing a piece. Being that old and dried out, I'd speculate the gum chips would be hardened and possibly brittle, more like a Necco wafer, if you know what I'm talking about. Have fun, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a decent tin or two for your collection.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:07 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Jeff, do a search on ebay - there have been several recent sales of the tins. After I did a search, I found that there have been modern versions of the Colgan's Chip cards released - totally surprised me. Nope, no interest in them for me. I like the real deal.
Thanks, trying to find tins available for sale but I can’t seem to locate any on EBay. Will keep looking - also saw some images of Colgan tin box displays which look really cool too

Thx again for all of the info.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:37 PM

Default Colgan's Chips

In my opinion the Colgan's Chips had an awesome ad campaign!

Here's a previous thread I started.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=Colgan+Chips

Patrick
Old 01-16-2022, 08:37 PM
Fred

Jeff, check the completed sales on ebay to see recent prices and get an idea of the going ebay rate. Just continue the search and the tins will show up.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Jeff, check the completed sales on ebay to see recent prices and get an idea of the going ebay rate. Just continue the search and the tins will show up.
Yep, finally found my way there… I just saved my search so I should get an alert the next time they post for sale

Thx again.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:29 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
In my opinion the Colgan's Chips had an awesome ad campaign!

Here's a previous thread I started.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...t=Colgan+Chips

Patrick
Wow, great work on this Patrick… thx for the referral to your earlier post.

I’m excited to add something a little colorful and different to my HOF display… now, I just need to find a raw Addie Joss to go with the tins!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I got this tin and card(s) on ebay years ago...

Old 01-17-2022, 10:40 AM
Bill K@sel

I love my Tin...it's just a nice show piece and can be had for a very reasonable price. I think I paid maybe $35 for this back in the early 2010's.

Edited to add: Notice the color variation b/t mine and Leon's. Mine definitely isn't as 'violet' as his.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colgans Meyers w Tin A & B.jpg (79.1 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by fkm_bky; 01-17-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:47 AM

No tin, but here is a favorite ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColganYoung.jpg (54.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:45 AM
Fred

I looked for my tin and found it. I'll try and post pictures when I can. The tin had a small round paper liner at the bottom, two pieces of gum and the card. It's a green tin. If I recall I picked it up in North Pole Alaska back in the 80s. It's been a while but I think I was working in Fairbanks for a couple weeks and found an antique shop in North Pole, Alaska.

Colgans Tin.jpg

Edited to add picture

Last edited by Fred; 01-17-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
I looked for my tin and found it. I'll try and post pictures when I can. The tin had a small round paper liner at the bottom, two pieces of gum and the card. It's a green tin. If I recall I picked it up in North Pole Alaska back in the 80s. It's been a while but I think I was working in Fairbanks for a couple weeks and found an antique shop in North Pole, Alaska.
Would love to see it - am looking forward to adding at least on each (Mint and Violet) to my display alongside two HOfers... I'll add my own photos back here when I finally land this!

Jeff