NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2022, 04:11 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default ***Lost 1888 N162 Goodwin Champs King Kelly - PSA 3 (MK)

Please be aware that a hobby friend of mine received an empty package yesterday that was supposed to contain the below pictured 1888 Goodwin Champs King Kelly - PSA 3(MK). The seller of the card in OH has been completely cooperative and has already reimbursed my friend in Florida (even though the card was NOT insured) but the card is nowhere to be found. It is easily identifiable with two stamps, one circular (center) and another on the top border. There’s also a faint “V”? Across the middle reverse.

The post offices in each town have been contacted as have local police departments, local card shops, PSA who is tagging the cert, SGC and BGS. The seller is as confused by all of this as anyone and there have been several character references provided by way of just talking to the card shops up his way. I can also assure you the card wasn’t in the box delivered to my friend. He’s devastated and even videotaped himself opening it as he was planning to post it on FB when he reunited it with his other Hof’ers from the set. And yes, I’ve seen the video, it’s sad and pathetic. He even had Reunited by Peaches and Herb playing in the background in the video lol! But seriously he’s reading this and is really upset

So please be on the lookout for this card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888GoodwinChampsKellyPSA3(MK).jpg (75.8 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 1888GoodwinChampsKellyPSA3(MK)back.jpg (76.3 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by aloondilana; 01-14-2022 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-14-2022, 04:29 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

On a more positive note, check out this amazing Frankenstein cut-out 1914 CJ Christy Mathewson that he actually did receive in the mail yesterday (the intent here is to help make him feel a little better). And yeah that’s his 1914 CJ Cobb back there so don’t feel too bad for the guy! (kidding buddy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914CrackerJackMathewsonCut.jpg (75.5 KB, 559 views)

Last edited by aloondilana; 01-14-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:32 PM
Fred

For clarification - to package did not looked "disturbed" before your friend opened it? If so, that would indicate someone opened the package and carefully resealed it sometime between the time if was sent and received.

What would Encyclopedia Brown do?

Totally sucks. Good news is that the card has identifying marks. Ebay, Craigslist, N54 BST ( ).
Old 01-14-2022, 04:45 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
For clarification - to package did not looked "disturbed" before your friend opened it? If so, that would indicate someone opened the package and carefully resealed it sometime between the time if was sent and received.

What would Encyclopedia Brown do?

Totally sucks. Good news is that the card has identifying marks. Ebay, Craigslist, N54 BST ( ).
He described the box that arrived as pristine. He had zero concerns. He also verified with the seller that it had at least two layers of tape over every single seam and it did. It’s seriously bizarre
Old 01-14-2022, 05:49 PM
J@mes In.gram

I too would be absolutely devastated, as it is just a beautiful card. Yes, totally sucks.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-14-2022, 05:54 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I too would be absolutely devastated, as it is just a beautiful card. Yes, totally sucks.
+1. Awful. At least it appears to be easily identifiable as stated. I'll absolutely be on the lookout for it.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 01-14-2022, 06:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Since it's in a PSA slab, the buyer should still register it on their PSA registry account. If someone else tries to register the cert number, then PSA will know which account attempted to add it. Let PSA know the card is missing/stolen so that if it gets registered, they are aware that there is disputed ownership of the card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:16 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Since it's in a PSA slab, the buyer should still register it on their PSA registry account. If someone else tries to register the cert number, then PSA will know which account attempted to add it. Let PSA know the card is missing/stolen so that if it gets registered, they are aware that there is disputed ownership of the card.
OP stated that PSA was notified and is tagging the cert.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 01-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Thank you. I believe this has been taken care of on PSA’s end. At least that is my understanding. Btw, should I block out the cert # in this thread? Is there any downside to having it visible? Thanks
Old 01-14-2022, 06:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
Thank you. I believe this has been taken care of on PSA’s end. At least that is my understanding. Btw, should I block out the cert # in this thread? Is there any downside to having it visible? Thanks
No need to. Very slim odds someone who ends up with this would know about this forum.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This situation really sucks. I hope the N162 is found. It is unique, and there aren't thousands, so there is hope...
Old 01-15-2022, 08:56 AM
Tom Re.bert

If the shipping box appears there was no evidence of tampering, isn't it possible the card was not in that box from the beginning ?

Last edited by Directly; 01-15-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Please be aware that a hobby friend of mine received an empty package yesterday that was supposed to contain the below pictured 1888 Goodwin Champs King Kelly - PSA 3(MK). The seller of the card in OH has been completely cooperative and has already reimbursed my friend in Florida (even though the card was NOT insured) but the card is nowhere to be found. It is easily identifiable with two stamps, one circular (center) and another on the top border. There’s also a faint “V”? Across the middle reverse.

The post offices in each town have been contacted as have local police departments, local card shops, PSA who is tagging the cert, SGC and BGS. The seller is as confused by all of this as anyone and there have been several character references provided by way of just talking to the card shops up his way. I can also assure you the card wasn’t in the box delivered to my friend. He’s devastated and even videotaped himself opening it as he was planning to post it on FB when he reunited it with his other Hof’ers from the set. And yes, I’ve seen the video, it’s sad and pathetic. He even had Reunited by Peaches and Herb playing in the background in the video lol! But seriously he’s reading this and is really upset

So please be on the lookout for this card
Quote:
He described the box that arrived as pristine. He had zero concerns. He also verified with the seller that it had at least two layers of tape over every single seam and it did. It’s seriously bizarre
The seller did not insure the card?

The seller reimbursed the buyer even though the package was delivered and (apparently) not tampered with?

I believe aloondilana was on target using the word "bizarre" to describe this.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-15-2022, 10:25 AM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
If the shipping box appears there was no evidence of tampering, isn't it possible the card was not in that box from the beginning ?
Yes. That seems like a legitimate possibility. The question is why and where’s the card? At the moment the seller is out the sale price and the card. He’s trying to get surveillance from the post office as the package tracking is timestamped 9:01am, but the manager at the PO is saying there is no surveillance in the lobby…although there is a camera (the seller went back and took pics confirming that). He’s saying he’s getting law enforcement involved Tues but he also said that yesterday. He’s also told my buddy if the card is found he can just have it, he doesn’t care about the money. It’s really crazy but at least it’s just a quest to find the card at moment
Old 01-15-2022, 10:49 AM
David M.

This is a really strange story. Maybe the seller got cold feet? Usually if this happens the seller just suddenly says they lost the card, or they say an error was made in the listing, or some other story. They don't mail you an empty package and go through all this drama. But stranger things have happened.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:38 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow this is weird especially with the packaging being pristine.
Luckily the buyer got his funds back so did not take a monetary loss.

Seems more seller related as mentioned prior

Hopefully we get an update to this at some point

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-15-2022, 06:03 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:

told my buddy if the card is found he can just have it, he doesn’t care about the money. It’s really crazy but at least it’s just a quest to find the card at moment
WTF?

This is a card worth thousands of dollars, isn’t it?

Something is definitely wrong with this story.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-15-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:17 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
This is a really strange story. Maybe the seller got cold feet? Usually if this happens the seller just suddenly says they lost the card, or they say an error was made in the listing, or some other story. They don't mail you an empty package and go through all this drama. But stranger things have happened.
Maybe someone David Copperfield-ed it... strange for sure. It'll be interesting if it shows up for sale.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:35 PM
J@E R1T0

If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit! The packaging is untouched, I’d acquit the post office, this seems like a seller issue.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:42 PM
Tony. Biviano

Maybe seller wanted to back out of deal and went through this charade. How do you explain am immediate refund?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
Maybe seller wanted to back out of deal and went through this charade. How do you explain am immediate refund?
Bingo was his name-o. That immediacy makes no sense.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 01-15-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:48 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Bingo was his name-o.
Darren, what’s the term for sending an empty box?

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Old 01-15-2022, 07:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Darren, what’s the term for sending an empty box?
I've been taking notes on a wide variety of things for my next round of 'Collectorisms,' and you can be sure that one is on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:52 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
I've been taking notes on a wide variety of things for my next round of 'Collectorisms,' and you can be sure that one is on the list.
A box of air?

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-16-2022, 12:29 PM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Airboxing?

Peek-a-boo-box?

Pretend-a-thief’ing?

Old 01-16-2022, 12:33 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

I hope the seller checked his trash. I've almost sealed up an envelope before inserting the card when trying to ship and multi-task.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit! The packaging is untouched, I’d acquit the post office, this seems like a seller issue.
I was once getting a new passport for one of my bosses. We went to the post office, got the paperwork all done, and sealed in an envelope by the postal service clerk.

I then took that envelope to fedex to express overnight to my passport people (pre-zombie apocalypse I could usually get a passport in a couple days using "my people").

The next morning they called to say that when they opened the fedex envelope, which had no damage to it and was sealed properly, the envelope inside that had been sealed by the post office had been opened, rendering it useless for getting a passport.

So we had to do it all again.

Doug
Old 01-17-2022, 06:55 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

I don't know the parties involved and don't intend to libel anyone, but to me the simplest explanation would be that the seller had a major case of seller's remorse and just sent an empty package. The (mostly) honest thing would be to send the refund, and play along with the investigation for the benefit of the buyer. I doubt we'd ever know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the card is still safely tucked away in the seller's collection.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:14 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I don't know the parties involved and don't intend to libel anyone, but to me the simplest explanation would be that the seller had a major case of seller's remorse and just sent an empty package. The (mostly) honest thing would be to send the refund, and play along with the investigation for the benefit of the buyer. I doubt we'd ever know, but I wouldn't be surprised if the card is still safely tucked away in the seller's collection.
This exactly. Can I ask what the winning bid was?? I'm thinking the seller was not happy with the final sales price.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:31 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Would it not have been simpler to just cancel the sale?

There are now several additional parties (law enforcement, PSA, USPS) involved. The cert number is now invalid. People are on the lookout for this card (both actively and passively) as though it were stolen.

If the seller did this to avoid parting with the card, they went about things in a rather foolish, needlessly over-complicated manner.

EDITED TO ADD: Not that I condone cancelling sales b/c the hammer price was lower than anticipated...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-17-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:05 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

There are now several additional parties (law enforcement, PSA, USPS) involved. The cert number is now invalid. People are on the lookout for this card (both actively and passively) as though it were stolen.

If the seller did this to avoid parting with the card, they went about things in a rather foolish, needlessly over-complicated manner.

EDITED TO ADD: Not that I condone cancelling sales b/c the hammer price was lower than anticipated...
People don't always follow the smart path. That is obvious by the multitude of spouses that "off" their partners rather than simply divorce them. Americans aren't known for being smart. That is what makes those "Man on the Street" interviews so entertaining.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:58 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

I doubt the thought process went beyond "I wish I hadn't sold that card (or I don't like the sale price I got). I'll just send an empty package and give a refund." They probably figured the refund would be where this ended. Once this was escalated, there wasn't exactly an opportunity to back out without admitting what had happened. Most crimes are not well thought out.