NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2022, 06:52 AM
Kyle May

Default 1917 Collins-McCarthy "Relative" Checklists - Weil Baking/Standard Biscuit/Bos Store

According to prewarcards.com, the checklists for the 1917 sets Collins McCarthy (E135), Weil Baking (D328), and Boston Store (H801-8) are exactly the same from what I can tell. However, I am unable to find a checklist for the 1917 Standard Biscuit set (D350-2).

Is it simply an assumption that this set mirrors the checklists of the aforementioned 1917 sets? Or is there confirmation?

I PC Grover Hartley, and I know there is at least one Weil Baking Co. example in existence (SGC graded I believe), but have not seen anything to confirm any known examples of him in the Standard Biscuit set. Trading Card Database lists Standard Biscuit on his checklist, but there is no picture and the PSA/SGC pop reports don't show any graded examples.

Since every post must have a card, here is my Hartley PC (I need to update the group pic).

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-13-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Some good insights

Very nice cards and ad backs

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-13-2022, 09:37 AM
Todd Schultz

Kyle, the 1917 Standard Biscuit set does in fact mirror E135 and the other sets you cited. I have not confirmed the existence of Hartley, but it would be part of the set. FWIW, if I remember correctly, the set is not identified in the ACC, and the other Standard Biscuit sets are identified differently than what is now commonly accepted.

Please let us know if you find a Hartley SB. There is also presumably one more ad back for that card-- the scarce Merchant's Bakery from Norfolk VA. Only a few examples from the set have been found, but they match up with the other sets from 1917. BTW, nice blank back (Mendelsohn)--those are not commonly found either.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Kyle, the 1917 Standard Biscuit set does in fact mirror E135 and the other sets you cited. I have not confirmed the existence of Hartley, but it would be part of the set. FWIW, if I remember correctly, the set is not identified in the ACC, and the other Standard Biscuit sets are identified differently than what is now commonly accepted.

Please let us know if you find a Hartley SB. There is also presumably one more ad back for that card-- the scarce Merchant's Bakery from Norfolk VA. Only a few examples from the set have been found, but they match up with the other sets from 1917.
Lovely. Exactly what I wanted to hear haha. Thank you for confirming that Hartley should indeed have a Standard Biscuit example. I will be sure to let you know if I find one. I'm still hoping to find the second ever Weil Baking Hartley, let alone the first ever Standard Biscuit!

Quote:
BTW, nice blank back (Mendelsohn)--those are not commonly found either.
Is the Blank Back mislabeled, or am I misunderstanding what a Mendelsohn is?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-13-2022, 10:05 AM
Duncan

So now I am curious, why Grover Hartley?
Old 01-13-2022, 10:10 AM
Todd Schultz

Well, it's not mislabeled per se, as it was only recently confirmed that Felix Mendelsohn was responsible for creating these sets, and sold blank backs directly to those who responded to his ad in (at least) the Sporting News. By that time it had already been the practice of the grading companies and others in the hobby to call them blank-back E135s. It may be less confusing to just leave well enough alone, since Mendelsohn is already the name associated with M101-6 and in some instances m101-5. He also is the likely creator of this rare beauty from circa 1915, of which only three are confirmed (Wajo and Matty the others):
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:53 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
So now I am curious, why Grover Hartley?
My grandpa played minor league baseball for the Findlay Oilers (part of the St. Louis Browns system) in the Ohio State League in 1940. My great uncle played for the team in 1939 as well. Both years, the manager of the team was Grover Hartley.

Don May was my grandpa. Here are two links for his Baseball Reference pages.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...gi?id=170780ce
https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=may---001don

Glenn "Red" May was his brother (my great uncle). Here are his Baseball Reference pages.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...gi?id=99f950bb
https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=may---001gle

I have the baseball from the last game my grandpa pitched in the minors in 1940. Eventually, I'm going to make a display with his contract, my Hartley PC, his team photo, his individual photo, and his baseball.

I would also like to have player runs of each MLB player my grandpa and great uncle played with/against. Del Wilber and Gene Woodling are the two that come to mind from the limited research I've done on this potential collection idea.

Quote:
Well, it's not mislabeled per se, as it was only recently confirmed that Felix Mendelsohn was responsible for creating these sets, and sold blank backs directly to those who responded to his ad in (at least) the Sporting News. By that time it had already been the practice of the grading companies and others in the hobby to call them blank-back E135s. It may be less confusing to just leave well enough alone, since Mendelsohn is already the name associated with M101-6 and in some instances m101-5. He also is the likely creator of this rare beauty from circa 1915, of which only three are confirmed (Wajo and Matty the others):
Incredible information. Thank you for sharing. So these are all technically 1917 Felix Mendelsohns (insert back name here)? What should the technical classification/set designation name be? Should it still be E135/D328/D350-2/H801-8?

Also, what is the set designation name for the Merchant's Bakery, if there is one?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 01-13-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:27 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
. . .
Incredible information. Thank you for sharing. So these are all technically 1917 Felix Mendelsohns (insert back name here)? What should the technical classification/set designation name be? Should it still be E135/D328/D350-2/H801-8?

Also, what is the set designation name for the Merchant's Bakery, if there is one?
Yes, they are all technically Felix Mendelsohn cards, but I would probably leave the designations alone. Maybe change the blank backs to an "M", since he was a publisher generally and it is his initial I think M132 may be available. M-Unc is probably confusing, as more than one set could make claim to that (my Schalk card above, for example).

Merchants Bakery does not have a designation in the ACC.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM

Default Grover Hartley playing days cards with Cleveland?

I am happy to have this 1970s Jim Rowe PC of Grover Hartley for my Cleveland Baseball collection, but still looking for a career-contemporary card of him from his playing days with Cleveland (1929-30). Know of anything?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970s Jim Rowe PC Grover Hartley.jpg (71.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 1970s Jim Rowe PC Grover Hartley back.jpg (52.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:20 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
I am happy to have this 1970s Jim Rowe PC of Grover Hartley for my Cleveland Baseball collection, but still looking for a career-contemporary card of him from his playing days with Cleveland (1929-30). Know of anything?
That is very cool! I am not aware of any Grover Hartley cards after the aforementioned 1917 sets. Both Trading Card Database and PSA show the 1917 sets as his last cards. I'm sure there are photos out there, but I don't believe there were any team issued photo sets, so it would all be individualized if you find anything.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 01-14-2022, 05:23 AM

Default 1917 sets

Thanks for the information and very interesting. I am intrigue by both the Collins and McCarthy and Weil bakery sets so fond it all very interesting !
Dan