NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:37 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
Why is a civil conversation about the National "toxic politically dividing opinions"?

Debating and talking about issues is a good thing! Taking verbal shots adds nothing to what could be an educated discussion between intelligent members of this collecting community.

I am making a point based on basic economics. It would make more sense economically, for all dealers, to move the show to a state w/out restrictions. It is then our choice to attend or not. Even if many like yourself do not choose to attend, the show would likely still have more total attendance than if in a locked down state.

Many, many millions of us will not get vaccinated. I don't judge those like yourself, or my parents or other loved ones with medical issues who have received it. I hope it works, I really do, but when my friends in the pharma industry are refusing to take it....I have some educated doubts...but again it is your right to choose, just as it is mine.
I work in the pharma industry (not for any company with a vaccine so no financial connection to people being vaccinated). No one I know in the pharma industry is refusing to take it, and my company is strongly encouraging our employees to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Just curious for the reasons your friends in pharma are refusing to.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:59 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It might be possible that your personal experience is your own and other people have reason to be cautious because of their experiences. If we all led the same life we'd all have the same outlooks. But we don't.
Roger that Packs....well said!

I had it the full 2 weeks before they even thought it was in the US. It was awful and the dr's had no idea what it was or how to treat it. My parents have had it along with many other acquaintances. Two friends who both had serious, previous medical conditions passed away. One of them was already going through a tough battle with cancer and the cause of death was listed as Covid.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 03-15-2021, 12:01 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I work in the pharma industry (not for any company with a vaccine so no financial connection to people being vaccinated). No one I know in the pharma industry is refusing to take it, and my company is strongly encouraging our employees to get vaccinated as soon as possible. Just curious for the reasons your friends in pharma are refusing to.
Lack of research is the main reason. They tell me it would normally take years for all of the research to be done properly and for the FDA to sign off.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 03-15-2021, 12:13 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
Lack of research is the main reason. They tell me it would normally take years for all of the research to be done properly and for the FDA to sign off.
It's true that vaccines normally take many years before they are approved with a much longer follow-up time period included in the process before approval is granted. However, the emergency use authorization that has been granted for 3 different vaccines so far does require a significant amount of testing and data just like any other new drug or vaccine. I wouldn't say the research has not been done properly, just that it has been expedited due to the circumstances with the possible long term effects being the main data lacking from a normal approval process.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:19 PM

People often forget about the Polio vaccine. In March of 1953 Jonas Salk announced he'd successfully tested his vaccine. By February of 1954, less than one year later, school children across the country began receiving the vaccine en masse.

The current COVID timeline isn't all that different from Polio.

Last edited by packs; 03-15-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

We were fanatical about the measures from the beginning because I am high risk. Even so I got COVID about a month and a half ago and got the two vaccines. One before and one after COVID. I'm type 1 diabetic with a heart attack, septic and lung scarring under my belt but made it through fine with COVID. Had a fever for about a week and then was fine. No complications with the vaccine even though I don't have a great health history. Before getting COVID I'd gone to toy shows all over the country and traveled freely for most of the year without issue. Got COVID right here in our little Texas town of 3500 which has not had many cases this year. I'm thinking my little girl brought it home from school as her and my wife both tested positive but my 12 year old daughter had no symptoms at all. Point is if someone like me can get the vaccine without issue I think most can unless you are extremely allergic to vaccines. Other point is you can get COVID anywhere, anytime and from anyone regardless how well you practice the COVID measures. I didn't want to shut my life down and I'm glad I didn't live with fear even though I am high risk. I attribute it somewhat to my faith which is strong.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 03-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
People often forget about the Polio vaccine. In March of 1953 Jonas Salk announced he'd successfully tested his vaccine. By February of 1954, less than one year later, school children across the country began receiving the vaccine en masse.

The current COVID timeline isn't all that different from Polio.
No, this is completely false and untrue.

Salk spent seven years with a research team to develop one of the first polio vaccines before it was ever administered, beginning in 1948, and according to online information, the test trial was "the most elaborate program of its kind in history, involving 20,000 physicians and public health officers, 64,000 school personnel, and 220,000 volunteers. Over 1.8 million schoolchildren took part in the trial."

"After successful tests on laboratory animals, on July 2, 1952, assisted by the staff at the D.T. Watson Home for Crippled Children, Salk injected 43 children with his killed-virus vaccine. A few weeks later, Salk injected children at the Polk State School for the retarded and feeble-minded. He vaccinated his own children in 1953. In 1954 he tested the vaccine on about one million children, known as the polio pioneers. The vaccine was announced as safe on April 12, 1955."

So the current Covid vaccine would need 4 years of development and almost 3 solid years of testing to make an apt comparison.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:47 PM

I don't really think you can say that without knowing the ins and outs of what the development was. I'll tell what I read though. The vaccine was tested on million people who were known as pioneers and then declared officially safe a year later, after being administered anyway.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Flu disappeared

What happened to the Flu--I haven't heard???
Old 03-15-2021, 12:53 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I don't really think you can say that without knowing the ins and outs of what the development was. I'll tell what I read though. The vaccine was tested on million people who were known as pioneers and then declared officially safe a year later, after being administered anyway.
No, you're wrong. The vaccine was tested for almost three years as I posted.
And even if it wasn't, the timeline is still spurious as the Covid vaccine development AND testing have BOTH been done in far less than one year, so NOT comparable to polio vaccines whatsoever.

There is no harm in admitting you're incorrect.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:55 PM

There's no harm in letting water roll off the duck's back either, pal.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
What happened to the Flu--I haven't heard???
Flu has been very limited apparently, since the same things that prevent spread of COVID (masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc) will also help prevent the spread of flu.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:05 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
There's no harm in letting water roll off the duck's back either, pal.
Yeah, YOU post false information, I post the correct information.... but I'm the problem right?

Just act like a man and admit when you're wrong and move on.....
Old 03-15-2021, 01:56 PM
Jason S!m@nds

I was worried I wouldn’t be vaccinated in time. I bought a ticket today though as it appears the states have been told to remove age restrictions by May 1st.

Last edited by jhs5120; 03-15-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Show attendance- St Louis isn't allowing sports card shows at this time. The Governor is beginning to open up the State. -Saturday I attended a little one day show in Southeast Mo,--one dealer sold $100,000 in cards-- imagine what the National will be like --like Tony the Tiger would growl--It will be GREAT!
Likely some guy who has runners picking up stuff as soon as it hits the shelves at Walmart.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:32 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I was worried I wouldn’t be vaccinated in time. I bought a ticket today though as it appears the states have been told to remove age restrictions by May 1st.
If you saw my post directly from the NSCC they will not require a vaccine passport

Rich
Old 03-15-2021, 02:44 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
If you saw my post directly from the NSCC they will not require a vaccine passport

Rich
It has nothing to do with whether the NSCC requires a vaccine passport. I was never going to step foot on that convention floor without one, required or not.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:34 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default clearly

there are a few of you I wouldn't want to be anywhere near me or my family and likely my saying so would be enough to keep you away - something I take as a positive.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Based on some of the bad attitudes and sassy mouths displayed here I wouldn’t want to be near some of you regardless of COVID. Lol.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 03-15-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think this one has ran it's course. Hopefully I will see everyone in Chicago and all will be safe.