NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default Rough cuts and grading standards

I'm sure it's been discussed before, and please excuse the choice of card, but it has me wondering if being lenient about rough cut edges from the factory also makes graders lenient with grading the corners. I’ve still never understood why being off-center, which is clearly a factory issue, counts against a card but having rough edges, which is possibly a factory issue, does not. But this is a separate issue. This particular card received a 5. Are they assuming the corner damage is just a product of a rough cut? Is that standard? Is it even possible to do it otherwise without arbitrarily designating one spot as the place where the edge ends and the corner begins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210309_131123.jpg (77.5 KB, 353 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Rob

I think they just missed it, or maybe the corner got dinged after they graded it. I think grading is okay for Topps cards, for stuff I collect like n172, T213, etc, I'd just as soon have the card in a cardsaver or toploader.

When I first sent cards off for grading 20 or more years ago, I thought I was sending cards to be examined by someone like DR Cycleback in a lab at MIT. I realized quickly that it was more likely a fry cook working a 2nd job as a card grader.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM
J@son Per1

Around a year ago I had a Cam Neely OPC RC in a PSA 10 that had a moderately jagged left edge. I thought it was ridiculous that it was a 10 and sold the card and now it's worth 5x what it was then.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The fact that a rough cut isn't punished but off-center is heavily punished shows you just how arbitrary and senseless "professional" grading is. Both are factory traits, and should be treated similarly.

Take their assigned number with a grain of salt. There's very little consistency, and the people grading them devote about as much time as Lucy and Ethel spent on each piece of chocolate on the conveyor belt.

That said, it varies from grader to grader and day to day. But rough-cut corners do tend to get favorable treatment and garner more forgiveness than straight-cut edges... the "affirmative action" of trading cards, if you will.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The fact that a rough cut isn't punished but off-center is heavily punished shows you just how arbitrary and senseless "professional" grading is. Both are factory traits, and should be treated similarly.

Take their assigned number with a grain of salt. There's very little consistency, and the people grading them devote about as much time as Lucy and Ethel spent on each piece of chocolate on the conveyor belt.

That said, it varies from grader to grader and day to day. But rough-cut corners do tend to get favorable treatment and garner more forgiveness than straight-cut edges... the "affirmative action" of trading cards, if you will.

I don't agree that penalizing centering and not cut is arbitrary. If a factory uses a wire to cut cards, it is not avoidable, it's just how they did it at the time. Centering, on the other hand, is a characteristic distributed randomly. They were not able to precisely measure all the time, and sometimes it worked well, other times not. Cards should certainly be penalized for bad centering.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed before, and please excuse the choice of card, but it has me wondering if being lenient about rough cut edges from the factory also makes graders lenient with grading the corners. I’ve still never understood why being off-center, which is clearly a factory issue, counts against a card but having rough edges, which is possibly a factory issue, does not. But this is a separate issue. This particular card received a 5. Are they assuming the corner damage is just a product of a rough cut? Is that standard? Is it even possible to do it otherwise without arbitrarily designating one spot as the place where the edge ends and the corner begins?
not sure I follow... that is a damaged corner, regardless of the cut. are you saying this card should be less than a 5? I am not sure a corner bend on the back by itself would keep it from being a 5
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 03-09-2021, 07:45 PM
And.y Ell.is

its possible the TPG just feels that OPC cards all have that bad edge and most of them due , not sure why thats ok and not the other issues .
Old 03-09-2021, 07:53 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
I don't agree that penalizing centering and not cut is arbitrary. If a factory uses a wire to cut cards, it is not avoidable, it's just how they did it at the time. Centering, on the other hand, is a characteristic distributed randomly. They were not able to precisely measure all the time, and sometimes it worked well, other times not. Cards should certainly be penalized for bad centering.
Even though it’s a random characteristic it’s very common and impossible to keep sheets perfect on large running offset printing presses. Even though they check sheets regularly throughout the run sheets get by with imperfections before the press can be adjusted. I’ve press checked thousands of jobs over my thirty year career and like trimming it’s common to the printing process.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I understand your point, but the rough cut can vary just as much as centering can. The same card in the set can have a very rough cut one time, and virtually a straight cut the next.

I agree with you, that cards should be penalized for bad centering. But seems like there is far more random leniency and forgiveness with regard to severe rough cuts.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
I'm sure it's been discussed before, and please excuse the choice of card, but it has me wondering if being lenient about rough cut edges from the factory also makes graders lenient with grading the corners.
Not at all. I’ve held many PSA 8 and PSA 9 O-Pee-Chee cards, and even though they had rough edges, the corners were pretty sharp. However, keep in mind that some of these cards were definitely worked on!

Quote:
I’ve still never understood why being off-center, which is clearly a factory issue, counts against a card but having rough edges, which is possibly a factory issue, does not.
Did PSA change us or did we change PSA? In other words, as the years went by, did more and more collectors start hating OC cards and force PSA to change or was it the other way around? I know that majority of hockey collectors love the rough O-Pee-Chee cuts, but hate OC cards. Hmmm ... maybe PSA is catering to our tastes?
Quote:
This particular card received a 5. Are they assuming the corner damage is just a product of a rough cut? Is that standard?
You’re looking at an older slab. I am not even sure if this card would get the same grade today.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmckenzie View Post

when i first sent cards off for grading 20 or more years ago, i thought i was sending cards to be examined by someone like dr cycleback in a lab at mit. I realized quickly that it was more likely a fry cook working a 2nd job as a card grader.
lol!

Quote:
If a factory uses a wire to cut cards, it is not avoidable, it's just how they did it at the time.
O-Pee-Chee did not use a wire to cut their sheets.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I understand your point, but the rough cut can vary just as much as centering can. The same card in the set can have a very rough cut one time, and virtually a straight cut the next.

I agree with you, that cards should be penalized for bad centering. But seems like there is far more random leniency and forgiveness with regard to severe rough cuts.
I think the card posted is being penalized for a rough cut. I think to the extent that there is 'chipping' on the surface near the edges, it is certainly penalized. Perhaps the author can share scans of the front, and clarify what the position is on the card. Is he saying it should be a 4?

With the info provided, it looks like a 5 is reasonable based on the corner and edges that I can see from the back scan.

Monster #236
Old 03-10-2021, 07:17 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
lol!

O-Pee-Chee did not use a wire to cut their sheets.
From everything I have read on O-pee-chee focused collector sites, they did wire cut. Perhaps this is a myth similar to the 'first print' blue line? Please educate us and as to how you know this to be the case

Monster #236
Old 03-10-2021, 08:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
I think the card posted is being penalized for a rough cut. I think to the extent that there is 'chipping' on the surface near the edges, it is certainly penalized. Perhaps the author can share scans of the front, and clarify what the position is on the card. Is he saying it should be a 4?

With the info provided, it looks like a 5 is reasonable based on the corner and edges that I can see from the back scan.

This is the front of the card. My point was that it has pretty heavy damage to the corners (especially the bottom right corner but more noticeable at the bottom left corner of the back scan) and should probably have graded a 3, but that if you compare the corners to the edges and have decided that the edges look just fine then the corners don't seem so terrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gretzky front.jpg (78.5 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 03-10-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:00 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
This is the front of the card. My point was that it has pretty heavy damage to the corners (especially the bottom right corner but more noticeable at the bottom left corner of the back scan) and should probably have graded a 3, but that if you compare the corners to the edges and have decided that the edges look just fine then the corners don't seem so terrible.
this looks to me to simply be an old-slab issue. Probably is a 3-4 if it was graded today just on the eye-test. And I think the edges and corners do matter in that determination

Monster #236
Old 03-10-2021, 09:44 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Do you own the card.....

Glenn,

Do you own this card? I'm interested in it if you do. Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
From everything I have read on O-pee-chee focused collector sites, they did wire cut. Perhaps this is a myth similar to the 'first print' blue line? Please educate us and as to how you know this to be the case
False information is like COVID-19; it spreads everywhere and spreads quickly!

I've spoken to a few guys who worked at the O-Pee-Chee plant in London back in the day, and again, there was no wire. They had different machines in there that were made around the 1950s. Some of the machines cut two strips of cards at a time and one machine cut one strip at a time. The machine that was cutting one strip at a time produced the cleanest cuts.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
False information is like COVID-19; it spreads everywhere and spreads quickly!

I've spoken to a few guys who worked at the O-Pee-Chee plant in London back in the day, and again, there was no wire. They had different machines in there that were made around the 1950s. Some of the machines cut two strips of cards at a time and one machine cut one strip at a time. The machine that was cutting one strip at a time produced the cleanest cuts.
lol, to be honest I never even knew what 'wire cut' meant. any insights on the 'first print' nonsense?

Monster #236
Old 03-10-2021, 11:15 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

OPC did not use wires and that Gretzky is a 5 because it has corner wear. That corner wear has nothing to do with the rough cut
Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
lol, to be honest I never even knew what 'wire cut' meant. any insights on the 'first print' nonsense?
According to a former employee I spoke with, O-Pee-Chee was not doing first, second, third, etc. print runs back when the Gretzky rookie was manufactured. Additional runs were only required when there was a huge demand for more product, and this did not start happening until the late 1980s.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default D382 Tarzan

I hadn't read this thread until now and thought it was talking about pre-war cards.

So back to pre war. I guess cards that had coupons (although a D382 coupon hasn't been seen, I don't believe) could be considered rough cut? Or maybe rough tear, in most cases. This one might have been cut.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:08 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I hadn't read this thread until now and thought it was talking about pre-war cards.

So back to pre war. I guess cards that had coupons (although a D382 coupon hasn't been seen, I don't believe) could be considered rough cut? Or maybe rough tear, in most cases. This one might have been cut.
not sure if this illustrates rough cut, but certainly how the writing blurbs have changed over the years. "A big fellow who throws...."

Monster #236