NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2020, 03:54 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default BBCX wrapping and what it exactly represents..

Not a huge collector of unopened material, however, I am curious if it is well known what exactly a Steve Hart BBCX wrapper on a box exactly represents...

I would naturally assume it means the product is authentic and unsearched.

Is this correct?
Old 12-21-2020, 04:10 PM

You are correct. BCE does an excellent job of certifying that the packs are authentic and not searched. What is important however that BCE cannot and doesn’t claim to be making any statement about the condition of the cards in the pack. There is a YouTube channel called Jabs Family were they shop for cards and open wax (with slots sold to buyers prior to opening). He recently bought a box of 1972 Opechee (sp?). At some point the box must have been in heat or humidity and the gum pretty much killed most of the cards. The YouTuber freaked out and started talking about how disappointed he was with BCE and went on about how he should get some sort of refund. My pint to all of this is BCE is not able to account for what’s in the box other then to say it’s authentic and unsearched. They cannot know about the coalition or the condition of the cards and cannot be expected to be able to do so. When you open wax it’s st your risk
Old 12-21-2020, 04:40 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default "Unsearched" key word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
You are correct. BCE does an excellent job of certifying that the packs are authentic and not searched. My pint to all of this is BCE is not able to account for what’s in the box other then to say it’s authentic and unsearched. They cannot know about the coalition or the condition of the cards and cannot be expected to be able to do so. When you open wax it’s st your risk
Thank you for your insight.

So I knew all the above. Here is my story of disappointment. Won a lot of (4) BBCX wrapped and authenticated boxes of what I thought to be unopened and unsearched '89 Score FB sets - not packs. I recently opened two diff of the same product of which I had stored in my attic for 30+ years. Hence, I know how this set was packaged and collated within the box. First issue (with Score) is this product was never factory sealed in any way. Of the two of my own I opened, the majority of the contents were well centered and will yield a high rate of PSA Gem Mt 10s. This is in line with a diff factory set box I had purchased in '89 and opened and had several keys graded last year. My only disappointment was the B Sanders came back 9. Virtually every other key and some of the desirable stars commons delivered 10s at almost a 70% clip. The other two I owned since '89 appear that they will deliver much of the same 10 rate.

Now, comes the REA part of this. I opened the 1st REA BBCX box and the contents were not in sync and collated like my others. Huh? Close examination of the 8 HOF RCs and several other hi $$ cards shows nothing but OCs and poorly ctr'd cards that will maybe yield 7 or 8 if PSA grades with NQ. Not only that, NONE of the 8 diff HOF RCs were even close to being placed in proper sequence like my other three boxes I had opened previously. As a matter of fact, one of them was not even there. Missing was a Thurman Thomas rc. Not even in the box! To be certain this box was not just some freaky anomaly I opened one more REA BBCX wrapped box.....

Virtually identical results. Cards totally out of sequence with all keys OC or very poorly ctr'd. This time all 8 diff HOF RCs were at least there (totally out of factory collation), however, other keys were missing! Obviously, contents cherry picked and NOT UNSEARCHED.

I stopped and did not open the other two sets, as I am awaiting to hear back from Brian at REA as to how he wants to handle this.

I thought of contacting Steve Hart, but feel it best to go to my source - REA first. Generally Brian is fair and I believe he will take care of this (and likely give Steve some "feedback" about all this).
Old 12-21-2020, 04:51 PM

Your beef should be with BBCE.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:05 PM

Interesting

When you say that score was never factory sealed do you mean that there was never even any adhesive or tape keeping the box closed. If that’s the case I don’t see how you could possible certify something as unsearched
Old 12-21-2020, 05:09 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
Thank you for your insight.

So I knew all the above. Here is my story of disappointment. Won a lot of (4) BBCX wrapped and authenticated boxes of what I thought to be unopened and unsearched '89 Score FB sets - not packs. I recently opened two diff of the same product of which I had stored in my attic for 30+ years. Hence, I know how this set was packaged and collated within the box. First issue (with Score) is this product was never factory sealed in any way. Of the two of my own I opened, the majority of the contents were well centered and will yield a high rate of PSA Gem Mt 10s. This is in line with a diff factory set box I had purchased in '89 and opened and had several keys graded last year. My only disappointment was the B Sanders came back 9. Virtually every other key and some of the desirable stars commons delivered 10s at almost a 70% clip. The other two I owned since '89 appear that they will deliver much of the same 10 rate.

Now, comes the REA part of this. I opened the 1st REA BBCX box and the contents were not in sync and collated like my others. Huh? Close examination of the 8 HOF RCs and several other hi $$ cards shows nothing but OCs and poorly ctr'd cards that will maybe yield 7 or 8 if PSA grades with NQ. Not only that, NONE of the 8 diff HOF RCs were even close to being placed in proper sequence like my other three boxes I had opened previously. As a matter of fact, one of them was not even there. Missing was a Thurman Thomas rc. Not even in the box! To be certain this box was not just some freaky anomaly I opened one more REA BBCX wrapped box.....

Virtually identical results. Cards totally out of sequence with all keys OC or very poorly ctr'd. This time all 8 diff HOF RCs were at least there (totally out of factory collation), however, other keys were missing! Obviously, contents cherry picked and NOT UNSEARCHED.

I stopped and did not open the other two sets, as I am awaiting to hear back from Brian at REA as to how he wants to handle this.

I thought of contacting Steve Hart, but feel it best to go to my source - REA first. Generally Brian is fair and I believe he will take care of this (and likely give Steve some "feedback" about all this).
That is very odd. According to their site they only deal in sealed packs. I have seen them do vending boxes and sets but only when they come from a sealed case.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Not a huge collector of unopened material, however, I am curious if it is well known what exactly a Steve Hart BBCX wrapper on a box exactly represents...

I would naturally assume it means the product is authentic and unsearched.

Is this correct?
There are 2 types of authentication. Their regular wrapper means the box is complete and all packs are factory sealed. The From A Sealed Case (FASC) means that they received the original intact case of cards and they guarantee they are exactly as you would have gotten from the company when they were released. Boxes that don’t have FASC have all sealed packs but they can come from different boxes. There’s no way to tell if all of the packs in a 1983 Topps box are original to that box. Hope that helps.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Did you happen to record yourself opening up the packages (to show there was no subterfuge on your end)? Hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:43 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Thank you for all the input - it is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Did you happen to record yourself opening up the packages (to show there was no subterfuge on your end
No I did not film myself, nor should I ever think this step be a necessity. I still have two BBCX wrapped and unopened boxes ready for the film shoot!
Old 12-21-2020, 05:49 PM

Wow just looked at eBay- had no idea how expensive of an item these sets are
Old 12-21-2020, 05:50 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
There are 2 types of authentication. Their regular wrapper means the box is complete and all packs are factory sealed. The From A Sealed Case (FASC) means that they received the original intact case of cards and they guarantee they are exactly as you would have gotten from the company when they were released. Boxes that don’t have FASC have all sealed packs but they can come from different boxes. There’s no way to tell if all of the packs in a 1983 Topps box are original to that box. Hope that helps.
Yes, in the past 24 hours I have come to learn this.....that said, why doesn't Steve Hart disclose this (without expecting one to research it) on the label? Until yesterday, I had no idea he did TWO diff types of authentication, and I have bought and consigned stuff with him. He has even been to my house.

It would be easy to disclose and differentiate the two, and even put a disclaimer of sorts on the "non-guar" aspect of it.

The whole thing smells and the big picture is in this industry, virtually nobody can be trusted. Hard to believe there are scumbags who would cherry-pick cards, replace them sloppily, then somehow, at some point, somebody (REA?) would authenticate in a BBCX wrapper.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:58 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Like most of the rest - these have taken off in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
Wow just looked at eBay- had no idea how expensive of an item these sets are
I actually paid a premium for these 4 sets from REA, because they were BBCX wrapped and authenticated. They could have been had off eBay for much less - unwrapped.

In the latter half of 2020, the demand and prices have taken off, as many commons in PSA 10 going for $40+. Of course all the keys got a large uptick in $$$ during 2020. My dream of a 330 card complete set in PSA 10 is on the backburner...
Old 12-21-2020, 06:04 PM

I was speaking with Reed at Dacardworld about selling some cases and boxes. I told him I had a 1991 Topps Archive that I bought in 1991 that was shrink-wrapped and a 1984 Donruss Wax that was also shrink-wrapped.

Reed told me that neither box (I knew the Donruss was after-market) was sold with original shrink-wrapping and he would have to break the wrap and then check each pack to determine if they were unopened.

I don't see how anyone could guarantee a box of individual cards from an unsealed box, unless they saw the box taken from a sealed case. But, that being the case, it should have had the "fasc" label.

Can't wait to hear the responses.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:18 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Yes, in the past 24 hours I have come to learn this.....that said, why doesn't Steve Hart disclose this (without expecting one to research it) on the label? Until yesterday, I had no idea he did TWO diff types of authentication, and I have bought and consigned stuff with him. He has even been to my house.

It would be easy to disclose and differentiate the two, and even put a disclaimer of sorts on the "non-guar" aspect of it.

The whole thing smells and the big picture is in this industry, virtually nobody can be trusted. Hard to believe there are scumbags who would cherry-pick cards, replace them sloppily, then somehow, at some point, somebody (REA?) would authenticate in a BBCX wrapper.
I knew a dealer who would search 1987 Donruss for Greg Swindell rookies..so if it can be searched it likely was. Probably a cynical view but at today's prices I just don't have the confidence as a buyer.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2020, 04:25 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default REA makes good

Brian at REA got back to me last pm, with a full apology, and sent a call tag - 100% refunded - nothing in question. He did say they arrived BBCX wrapped from consignor.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:13 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
I knew a dealer who would search 1987 Donruss for Greg Swindell rookies..so if it can be searched it likely was. Probably a cynical view but at today's prices I just don't have the confidence as a buyer.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I remember back in the mid to late 80's doing card shows in CT, you would have won the lottery if you could find a 1984 Topps Rack pack at a dealers table that still had a Don Mattingly rookie in it.

They were so easily searched and the collations cracked, unless you saw it come straight out of a sealed case, somebody likely had already snagged all the packs with Mattingly in it.

There was one particularly unethical dealer who had cases and cases of 1984 Topps wax and rack packs, but you could spend a week opening packs from him, and you'd never pull a Mattingly or Strawberry from one of his boxes.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-22-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I remember back in the mid to late 80's doing card shows in CT, you would have won the lottery if you could find a 1984 Topps Rack pack at a dealers table that still had a Don Mattingly rookie in it.

They were so easily searched and the collations cracked, unless you saw it come straight out of a sealed case, somebody likely had already snagged all the packs with Mattingly in it.

There was one particularly unethical dealer who had cases and cases of 1984 Topps wax and rack packs, but you could spend a week opening packs from him, and you'd never pull a Mattingly or Strawberry from one of his boxes.
Louie the crook. He was as bad with 85 topps if you remember
Old 12-22-2020, 05:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Brian at REA got back to me last pm, with a full apology, and sent a call tag - 100% refunded - nothing in question. He did say they arrived BBCX wrapped from consignor.
Edit: read your early posts wrong and incorrectly lambasted you. Sorry about that.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 12-22-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
That's good on them. More than likely the buyer thought it was legit, and BBCX definitely thought it was good.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:52 PM
Albert Bee

Default unopened

Oh yea, stuff from the early -mid 80s... I recall guys figuring out the sequence,
I remember in a card shop with guy saying..about 85 T...if you see Joe. xxx . in the pack..the next card is Eric Davis rookie...and it was
Old 12-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Next time, do better research, IMO. You got much more than you should have expected. If you didn't realize a BBCE wrapped box could be a Frankenstein box of loose packs assembled, then you should learn more before purchasing and opening them.
REA did more than enough for you, and IMO, probably set a bad precedent. But hey, that's what whining on message boards gets you nowadays.
Except these were sets, not wax boxes.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-22-2020, 07:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Except these were sets, not wax boxes.
Ah, didn't see that. I am not sure how Steve certifies sets as unopened without them coming from a sealed case. Cards are rarely in order. My apologies to the OP.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:24 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Score Football--

Around a month or so ago a collector I have known for years called me wanting to sell his 3 or 4 boxes 89 score FB and 17 or so factory sets. He has owned the product since 1989. I thought his asking price was high, but after reading this discussion and again revisiting some recent sales, comparing last month prices, this product has really escalated in price ! (the factory sets I bought in 1989 were shrink wrapped ??)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:46 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Thank you for all the POSITIVE input - it is appreciated!

Quote:
Ah, didn't see that. I am not sure how Steve certifies sets as unopened without them coming from a sealed case. Cards are rarely in order. My apologies to the OP.
Lots of misunderstanding here.....and I thought it was straightforward. Apparently Brian @ REA thought it open and shut too!

Even Steve Hart makes errors sometimes.

Always have to keep the guard up in this card collecting world.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Bill Roberts

I think you should consider yourself lucky this happened with REA. Not sure how many auction houses would have considered this as open and shut as you think it is.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Most already know this but if you don’t the big Lesson to Be Learned Here is that Brian From REA is, has, and will always do the right thing for the collector and Hobby.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-24-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:52 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

I believe it because I bought some 84 racks in the late 90s. I bought 6. Guess what? 3 Mattinglys and 2 Straws. It wasn’t a coincidence, whoever sold those to the guy I got them from probably knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Miguel

It seems that there are still some things that are misunderstood about BBCE. Here's what I know from my experience in collecting 80's unopened material:

1) For items like factory sets or vending boxes, BBCE will not wrap items unless they are FASC and come directly from a sealed outer case that BBCE examines, determines to be unopened, and then opens. It's not clear to me from the thread here whether the OP is saying he got a factory set that was wrapped but not marked FASC, but such a thing should not exist and I think BBCE would buy such a thing back.

2) In the case that a FASC wrapped box turns out to be bad, it is possible that BBCE mistakenly believed that a case it opened was sealed. Crazier things have happened, but I believe this is a fairly rare occurrence since most cases are pretty easy to tell if they've been opened, tampered with, and resealed. Again, I think if this happened and there were video evidence of it, BBCE would happily refund.

It doesn't seem like there are many unopened wax collectors in here since mostly that's a hobby that pertains to the late 70s and 80s, but I can tell you that among serious collectors of this stuff, Steve Hart and BBCE have a very sterling reputation, and for good reason. Steve is extremely responsive in communicating, always willing to go above and beyond, and generally does work that's about 100% more reliable than most "professional" authenticators in the hobby.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:29 PM
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani0100 View Post
It seems that there are still some things that are misunderstood about BBCE. Here's what I know from my experience in collecting 80's unopened material:

1) For items like factory sets or vending boxes, BBCE will not wrap items unless they are FASC and come directly from a sealed outer case that BBCE examines, determines to be unopened, and then opens. It's not clear to me from the thread here whether the OP is saying he got a factory set that was wrapped but not marked FASC, but such a thing should not exist and I think BBCE would buy such a thing back.

2) In the case that a FASC wrapped box turns out to be bad, it is possible that BBCE mistakenly believed that a case it opened was sealed. Crazier things have happened, but I believe this is a fairly rare occurrence since most cases are pretty easy to tell if they've been opened, tampered with, and resealed. Again, I think if this happened and there were video evidence of it, BBCE would happily refund.

It doesn't seem like there are many unopened wax collectors in here since mostly that's a hobby that pertains to the late 70s and 80s, but I can tell you that among serious collectors of this stuff, Steve Hart and BBCE have a very sterling reputation, and for good reason. Steve is extremely responsive in communicating, always willing to go above and beyond, and generally does work that's about 100% more reliable than most "professional" authenticators in the hobby.
Hey fellow unopened wax collector! That makes two of us.

Seriously though, I've been collecting unopened wax for a long time and BBCE wrap is a must for anything of real value. Sports and non-sports alike, I won't touch anything over 100 bucks without authentication. Almost all of my collection is BBCE wrapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201108_141931.jpg (80.2 KB, 985 views)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:05 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Me too ! All factory sealed from a case wrapped 6 Box 1985 Topps Rack
FASC BBCE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.1 KB, 963 views)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:20 PM
Banned

I do not like how BBCE handles Tiffany sets. They will shrink wrap the plain outer box, instead of the Tiffany box. Now I can’t see all the color and beauty of the set box design or the individual set # on the bottom. All I see is a plain boring cardboard box. I get it if they did this for the 1989 set bc it is already shrink wrapped, but the rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack The Ripper View Post
Hey fellow unopened wax collector! That makes two of us.

Seriously though, I've been collecting unopened wax for a long time and BBCE wrap is a must for anything of real value. Sports and non-sports alike, I won't touch anything over 100 bucks without authentication. Almost all of my collection is BBCE wrapped.
And this thread proves that just about anything could be inside those boxes.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:13 AM
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
And this thread proves that just about anything could be inside those boxes.
You're right. It's a dangerous hobby and no niche is 100% safe. Whether it's a $10 box of 87 Topps or a $1,000,000 PSA8 Wagner, there are douches around every corner ready to screw us over. We all do our best due diligence and go from there.

On a more positive note, I've ripped a lot of BBCE wax and they've always been what they were supposed to be. I've heard that Steve Hart's reputation is beyond repute, so I put my trust and money in his hands. So far, so good.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:36 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/12/lo...oogle_vignette

BBCE / Steve Hart being accused of making a bad decision to certify a case of Pokemon cards that recently was bought for $3.5 million. Could be a base case with a counterfeit label or it could be a complete counterfeit. Or there's still a slight chance it's real. Will be interesting to follow.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:

BBCE / Steve Hart being accused of making a bad decision to certify a case of Pokemon cards that recently was bought for $3.5 million. Could be a base case with a counterfeit label or it could be a complete counterfeit. Or there's still a slight chance it's real. Will be interesting to follow.
Wow that sucks for everyone. I have not been a fan of BBCE since we had the guy on here brag and show proof how easy it was to get fake packs authenticated by them. Anyone know if that guy is still selling his fake star packs?
Old 01-01-2022, 12:16 PM
Drew W@i$e

This post is 100 percent the reason I don’t collect unopened boxes or packs.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:28 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr cards

Heard someone trying to sell quantities of counterfeit 1989 UD Ken Griffey Jr RC. Even low enough to pull Authentic Griffey RC from factory sets and seeded the bogus reprints then resealing the sets! I haven't personally seen the reprints so cant say if they had the authentic Hologram sticker on the reverse--check out , you may need to turn on the sound https://twitter.com/cfree3344/status...561851393?s=10

Last edited by Directly; 01-01-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Heard someone trying to sell quantities of counterfeit 1989 UD Ken Griffey Jr RC. Even low enough to pull Authentic Griffey RC from factory sets and seeded the bogus reprints then resealing the sets! I haven't personally seen the reprints so cant say if they had the authentic Hologram sticker on the reverse--check out , you may need to turn on the sound https://twitter.com/cfree3344/status...561851393?s=10
That link took me to a blaster box break of 2020 football bought by StockX. You should probably put it in the thread devoted to them. I posted in this one because the story is about BBCE.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:48 PM
Tom Re.bert

Quote:
That link took me to a blaster box break of 2020 football bought by StockX. You should probably put it in the thread devoted to them. I posted in this one because the story is about BBCE.
I think its very relevant-
Old 01-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:

Yeah, this story doesn't end well for Jake Paul.. other than a lot of publicity. He ended up spending $3.5 million on Gi Joe cards!

https://youtu.be/i8lmQ5Ls6bw
Old 01-13-2022, 06:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Yeah, this story doesn't end well for Jake Paul.. other than a lot of publicity. He ended up spending $3.5 million on Gi Joe cards!

https://youtu.be/i8lmQ5Ls6bw
I'm not sure who to feel sorry for in this.....if anyone at all.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-13-2022, 06:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Logan Paul, but it looks like he's already been refunded by the previous seller, who is trying to get paid back from the flippers who got it from Canada and had Steve authenticate it.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:29 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Logan Paul, but it looks like he's already been refunded by the previous seller, who is trying to get paid back from the flippers who got it from Canada and had Steve authenticate it.
My bad! I always get those two mixed up.

I am almost wonder if this was all some kind of publicity stunt.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
My bad! I always get those two mixed up.

I am almost wonder if this was all some kind of publicity stunt.
I was thinking that but there is no way BBCE would want to put something out there like that - basically ruin their creditability.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Robert Williams

Insane.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I was thinking that but there is no way BBCE would want to put something out there like that - basically ruin their creditability.
Exactly what I was thinking. This brings everything they have certified into question.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

This still leaves me with the same thoughts about BBCE as I have with PSA or SGC. These are the best authenticators trusted in the hobby, would you rather buy something they looked at, even if they are wrong once in awhile, or buy something completely blind without any other opinions?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
This still leaves me with the same thoughts about BBCE as I have with PSA or SGC. These are the best authenticators trusted in the hobby, would you rather buy something they looked at, even if they are wrong once in awhile, or buy something completely blind without any other opinions?
I think, knowing not much about it admittedly, Steve just made a mistake going outside his comfort zone. I don't think it really calls the rest of his work into question.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:58 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think, knowing not much about it admittedly, Steve just made a mistake going outside his comfort zone. I don't think it really calls the rest of his work into question.
What about the products that were within his comfort zone? Like '79 Topps wax trays? All the cello packs with stars on top that he authenticated?

As I mentioned in the other thread, BBCE is no stranger to scandals. The problem is, people just don't like to talk about it because, if he lost credibility, then the value of their "investments" would plummet.

Edited to add: I truly believe that anyone who has the desire to learn can go read Mark Murphy's book and study things like corner folds, roller marks (the lines the rollers leave in the wax as the pack is sealed), etc., and have just as much knowledge as Steve.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-13-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
What about the products that were within his comfort zone? Like '79 Topps wax trays? All the cello packs with stars on top that he authenticated?

As I mentioned in the other thread, BBCE is no stranger to scandals. The problem is, people just don't like to talk about it because, if he lost credibility, then the value of their "investments" would plummet.

Edited to add: I truly believe that anyone who has the desire to learn can go read Mark Murphy's book and study things like corner folds, roller marks (the lines the rollers leave in the wax as the pack is sealed), etc., and have just as much knowledge as Steve.
If the standard is perfection, very few experts in any field are going to live up to it, IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.