NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Today was my first day in Cooperstown.

Today was the first time that I've ever been to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. I was amazed by all the displays and the unique artifacts. I especially liked the baseball card exhibit. The T206 cards that were displayed were gorgeous as well. I wonder if the Wagner that was displayed was real? I even got to browse the card shops and pick up a Merkle Portrait for $15. What was your guys' Cooperstown experiences like?
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM

I go up every year for the inductions and the card show at the VFW Hall. Unfortunately this year I will have to pass due to recent foot surgery and I won't be fully recovered in time.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 PM

I haven't been back since I was a kid but I remember seeing the intact cracker jack boxes with x-rays showing the cards inside. I think one had a Walter Johnson and another had a Wagner.

Last edited by packs; 07-07-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I haven't been back since I was a kid but I remember seeing the intact cracker jack boxes with x-rays showing the cards inside. I think one had a Walter Johnson and another had a Wagner.
I've always wondered if any unopened 1914/15 Cracker Jack boxes still existed. That's really cool.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Greg Mitchell

Was there again for wedding a month ago. As I posted then--card shops largely a waste, the Hall disappointing (if you've been before) unless you want to see Tulo's spikes, Jon Lester's cap and so forth. After all these years, still very little multimedia, old footage etc.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

That's awesome that you got a chance to go to the Hall when you could really appreciate what's there. I remember going around 25 years ago with my father and it was amazing then. I plan to go again with my family when my son gets a few years older. I'd also like to plan a trip with a friend of mine who is very into baseball history as well.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 AM

my wife suggested that we stop by there on our honeymoon 8 years ago and we've gone back every year since-i think it's absolutely awesome!! i know the card shops are cheesy but it's still fun to look around-i picked up a halfway decent cy young american caramel card a few years ago and you never know what you might find at yastrzemski's.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM

I really thought it was a wonderful experience and I learned so much. The exhibits were beautiful and I want to return next year because I did not get to finish looking at everything. Yeah, it is obvious that the card shops inflate their prices on cards, but you got to look hard for a good deal. I think my Merkle for $15 was a great deal, because it's in good condition. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM

I've never been there, but plan to make a trip some time in the next couple years. Good to hear it was a fun trip. If you have any pictures to share, please feel free to post. And, yes, I'm pretty sure that T206 Wagner is the real deal.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM

I took many pictures, so I'd like to share them with everyone. I really hope it is the real deal, it sure looked authentic. I was just surprised it wasn't graded.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Mikeknapp

My father and I went there in 1984 and haven't been back since. We had a great time and have always said we would return. We are planning to take my son with us for the 2016 induction of Ken Griffey Jr. who remains the greatest all around player the three of us ever had the pleasure of watching play on a day to day basis.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Default It's Almost Always A Joy!

After a self imposed 10 year ban on the hall of fame for almost freezing to death in 1989 after waiting in line all night for hall of fame game tickets, I have been back almost every year since.

Even though they only display a small fraction of the material they have available to them and do not do a good job of rotating displays, I still find it a nice escape and they do consistantly have large areas of pre war items displayed.

Seeing in person items such as Babe Ruth's Locker or the cornerstone to Ebbet's Field is what I believe helps one connect to baseball's rich history.

The town is geared strictly for tourists and items are priced as such.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM

"Seeing in person items such as Babe Ruth's Locker or the cornerstone to Ebbet's Field is what I believe helps one connect to baseball's rich history."

I completely agree. It is these items that have formed the game and I was so grateful to enjoy them yesterday. Just to confirm as well, the Wagner in the Hall of Fame is in fact real.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Mike Dugan

We are planning a return next year, It is simply outstanding! I come from a curator family and I can tell you that they do everything as well as any museum in the country.

It is the best museum experience I've ever seen. I'll never forget my first visit in 1989. We had stopped at Kings Island, OH to see the then located College Football Hall of Fame and then gone on to Canton. I remember my wife and I turned to each other after about two hours in Cooperstown and said "Don't those other museum staffs ever look around." By the way we were the only two people in the the College Hall for over three hours, no wonder it has now relocated twice!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Just returned from a great week in Cooperstown. Terrific weather, great fishing and baseball. Embarrassed myself in the batting cages but it was a last as always.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Tom Boblitt

Went in 1995/1996 and haven't been back since. Just a matter of being in the area at that time and not since though. I had a fantastic time. Went for HOF Induction weekend when Bunning went in in 1996. Didn't go to ceremony but was in the town for that weekend and it was really really cool. Card shops were so so and got some decent autographed ball deals but not much on cards or memorabilia due to price. My collecting focus has changed largely since then but I'd love to go back someday and take my wife as the town itself is just really a beautiful place. The fall there has to be fantastic...........
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Andy H.

I'm pretty lucky that I live in Syracuse and I go to the hall at least once a year. Usually, my dad and I will hit the hall of fame and my wife and mom hit the shops.

Normally, I go in the late fall — less people

My brother and I used to go during induction weekend. We would head to the golf course as the HOFers would play a round. Met a lot of them, including Musial who had signed HOF plaques ready to give away. He had a stash of them in his pocket