NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Default Best book or source to learn about pre war cards

Posted By: Dave

I have just started collecting pre war cards and was wondering what the best book or source of information for these cards is in your opinion. I would like to get something that lists card sets, checklist and possibly approximate values of the cards. Also, if an example of what the card looked like was available, that would be helpful too. Thanks for you help.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873499913/002-6340347-0224040?v=glance&n=283155

Old 03-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

After you get the basic book I would suggest that you subscribe to OLD CARDBOARD magazine for the joy of reading some excellent articles and seeing fantastic pictures of vintage cards. It is truly an information resource for vintage cards.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I'd add in Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, available from Old Cardboard or directly from the author.
All the back issues (less #7) of VCBC are helpful, and certainly a subscription to Old Cardboard.
Getting on Mastro's and REA's mailing list helps too, the catalogs (as well as those of the other auction houses) are full of information and give you a good idea of how often certain issues come up, and at what price.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Lipset's book is the best out there imo, it goes into much more detail about the sets than the SCD. Also get an ACC, this will help you in learning about issues you don't know much on and help identify any cards that you are unsure about.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Dave,

You really need to buy the 3 volumes of Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia. One is on 20th century tobacco cards, one on early 20th century candy cards, and the other on 19th century tobacco. The old perfect bound paperback books are out there individually. They are reprinted in one big book.

The Encyclopedia has several mistakes, but they seem insignificant compared to the wealth of knowledge. You really need to see these if you're going to collect T206s, T207s, T205s, the E caramel cards, Cracker Jack cards, and the like.

Next, you would benefit from the Standard Baseball Card Catalog edited by Mr. Lemke. A link to get it from Amazon is above.

After that, look for old issues of The Old Judge, a newsletter Mr. Lipset did about 15 years ago. If you are going to collect old odd stuff, from the 10s, 20s and 30s, I'd suggest looking for an old copy of The Sports Collectors Bible, by Bert Sugar. It has lists and descriptions that are helpful today, even though the 1970s prices are out of date. And I occasionally look at my American Card Catalog, by Jefferson Burdick. The briefest of descriptions, and only a few pages on baseball cards, but a true classic. Mr. Burdick is practically the "father" of the hobby. If you are going to collect ZeeNut cards, there was a publication by a fellow, I think his name was Horne. I can't recall at the moment, and don't see it handy. It is a nice resource for ZeeNut collectors. And there used to be a magazine called Vintage and Classic Baseball Cards, or something near that. It had some helpful articles. You might find old copies on eBay.

Finally, while not a book, it would benefit you to be careful about not buying reprints or doctored cards. It is helpful to study the reprints, so you can recognize them, and not buy them!

This Forum is a wonderful resource. Seems to me that most of these guys know what they're talking about (although a few are across the left field fence on knowing who should be in the Hall of Fame, and some other issues that I'm highly opinionated on...). If/when you have questions about stuff, ask this bunch. These guys have areas of expertice that exceed what you'll find in the books and catalogs. Truly, they do.

Frank.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Dave,

My opinion on helpful resources, in no particular order:

1) This forum. This might be the best overall. Great for both general info and the more obscure knowledge. Also, a great (maybe the only?) source of info about the real world aspect of collecting - everything from prices to scams to paypal issues to scanning techniques to display methods to card insurers to tracking lost items through the USPS. The list goes on and on for the nuts and bolts practical knowledge. Also, the BST thread is awesome for buying selling and trading.

2) Printed materials. Lipset's Encyclopedia is a must. They are easily available still, but I do notice maybe not quite as available as several years ago. I've been considering buying a second copy to put in a strong box or something, just in case something happens to my current copy and I can't find another - it's that good. The magazines also good. I have all the back issues of VCBC Mag (near set usually available on ebay), and read them all years ago when I got them. But I still go back for rereads, and the info remains as valid and topical as ever. More recently, Old Cardboard magazine is outstanding. Great layout, easy read, and extensive information.

3) Web sites. Many many good ones - some of the best info and image sites are dealer and auction sites. The forum page has a "Vintage Links" tab at the top - most of the best sites are listed.

4) Images. You asked about where to find card images. The Old Cardboard site (oldcardboard.com) is adding new galleries all the time for various card sets - excellent. It is especially good for being able to see images from a set on a single page (or few pages), and get a feel for the overall look and quality of a set. CardPricer.com probably has the most extensive library of images - I still haven't looked for anything and not found it there. Kind of feels like playing "Stump the Band" after awhile. The Library of Congress (link in Vintage Links) also has many many images, but I really don't find it as user friendly in finding a specific image quickly.

5) Finally reprints. You did not mention it but one of the posters above did, and I think it's really very important. First, read each and every thread on this board about any kind of scam out there. That is the most valuable education. I also watch ebay for auctions that sell reprints (identified as reprints, not scam auctions). The seller 'carbs' in particular sells reprints regularly. I download all the scans I can find of reprint fronts and backs. I have a file of reprint scans of at least one card from many/most of the pre-War sets. Very helpful if I run across something I'm not sure of - can compare general appearance and see where the word "reprint" would appear - often scam cards have stains/paper loss/scuffs in this exact area.

Sorry for the long epistle. But I am not all that expert in cards and have really appreciated these resources myself.

Good luck.

Joann

Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Joann,

I, for one, really appreciate your epistolary work!!!
Very helpful methinks.

best,

barry