NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default I was surprised by the REA and SCP Ring Auction Results

There were some surprises in the two auctions that ended this weekend - with regards to championship rings.

In REA, the two vintage Yankee rings did lower than I thought they would. This continues a trend we recently saw with vintage Yankee rings in the Heritage auction.

Perhaps collectors are not as enamored with the historic vintage rings as I thought, or perhaps this is the start of a downward trend in vintage championship rings.

The 1949 Yankee front office ring, same style and size as the players ring sold for $7,200 with the juice, and a rare 1953 Player ring, sold for $8,400.00

1953 Player Rings have gone for a lot of money in the past, as this was the only Yankee ring to change in the 50s and 60s. This is the iconic ring with the "5" and a diamond on top.

The only blemish on this ring was that Balfour re-stamped their name on the ring in the 80s when the ring went back to them to be resized.

The 2009 Yankee ring in REA went for 16,800 with the juice, around half of what REA sold a 2009 ring for around a year earlier.

It was not all gloom and doom - a Royals ring belonging to deceased Ken Brett (George Brett's brother) sold for $33,000 and a 1955 Dodger watch sold for $5,100.

In SCP, a Mets 2000 NL player ring, continued the trend where 2000 Met player rings do poorly. Bubba Trammell's ring sold for $5,711.00. The Mets ring is a very nice ring - their only winning or losing world series ring made with the modern bling that we have become used to. I am surprised that these rings sell for less than half of what a Yankee AL pennant player ring would sell for.

Also in the SCP auction, the first 1946 Red Sox AL ring I have ever seen, sold for $21,013. It belonged to player Joe Dobson.

Hall of famer, Rod Woodson sold two super bowl losing rings (AFC championship rings) that went for 17,126 and 18,840. His hall of fame ring went kind of low - selling for $20,897.

Last edited by sports-rings; 04-27-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Tom Boblitt

I don't collect this type of stuff other than a couple Louisville Colonels rings and a Louisville Redbirds ring I have that I bought out of Hunts or Legendary over the years but it seems just upon close review that there are a TON of rings being sold right now. I know there's a LOT of college FB/BKB and others being sold but it just seems like the market is flooded with rings. I may be WAY off in that but do you think that that would depress the prices? Are there a number of people getting out of the game of rings? You'd be as close as anyone to this. Just wondering...............
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Well there's a lot more rings coming up for sale in the Goldin Auction.

I don't believe the market has been flooded - i beleive that many athletes or collectors are consigning more rings to the auction houses, perhaps because of the high prices rings are commanding.

Additionally, each major sport releases a new championship ring, and both the NFL and MLB recognize the runner up of the title game with a ring celebrating their pennant and conference title.

College football now presents more bowl game rings than ever and also conference championship rings.

So there are more rings coming to market all the time - yet the quantities for each team still say around the same (ie they will make as many Patriot super bowl rings this year as they made 25 years ago when the Redskins won Super Bowl XXIV.

Last edited by sports-rings; 04-30-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:45 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Why would rod Woodson sell his hof ring? I can't imagine him needing the money.