NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 04-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Rings in 2015 REA Spring Auction

REA has a few championship rings in their auction.

Anyone have any comments or want to talk about the rings?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

What is your opinion of them Michael?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 PM

Default Rea 53 Yankee ring

Michael, first time long time. Love your passion for rings, your willingness to share your knowledge is much appreciated. The REA auction has a beauty of a 53 Yankee ring in it which I believe you know well. Shame the box doesn't come along with it 😄. Thanks again for always being receptive to sharing your expertise.
Steve M
Old 04-04-2015, 04:43 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Hey Steve,

Good to hear from you! (You too Leon).

I just received the catalog but and did not have a lot of time to go through it.

Full disclosure: The '53 Yankee ring, the '55 watch are my consignments.

Here are my thoughts: 2009 Yankee rings seemed to have dried up a little - it will be interesting to see if REA can get the numbers they have in past with regards to 2009 rings. There are a lot in the hobby at this point so prices should come down, yet, like I said, we are seeing less of them come to auction as the ones previously sold are sitting in collections.

The 1953 Yankee ring is pretty rare and should do quite well in the REA auction.

The 1955 Dodger watch belonging to Roger Craig and was in decent condition when I acquired it, however, consulting with other collectors, the general consensus was that unlike Baseball cards, which should never be repaired, the watch should be restored to it's beautiful original splendor.

REA fixed the wording in their auction, the dial on the watch was cleaned and re-inked (if that's the correct term), and the watch was lightly polished to eliminate light surface scratches. The engraving on the back is 100% original, and an authentic leather strap from the manufacturer was added.

I am not a big fan of vintage salesman samples as everyone knows, and wonder about many Yankee American League championship salesman ring samples from this time period. I don't see anything wrong with the ring offered in REA.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 AM

Did the 1955 Dodger players get both a ring and a watch, or a choice?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

When I consigned the watch, Rob Lifson asked me the same question - and I did not know the answer.

As Rob and his staff often does, they went to work and researched that question. Rob found out that players received both items.