NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-30-2022, 03:21 PM

Default Ryan

To Jim65-

1) "I just don't believe he's an all time great"

2) TWICE parsing the word "phenomenal"

These are YOUR takes not mine, and they are indefensible. By definition,
maintaining pitching power for 25+ years is phenomenal, "extraordinary".
It is beyond ordinary.

And again, I'm no Nolan Ryan homer. His posters weren't on my walls,
I didn't pretend to be him while playing neighborhood ball, etc. You posted
a series of remarks which clearly were meant to downplay his achievements
and (predictably) zoomed in on an error I made at 6am while typing. SEVEN
no hitters and 5700+ strikeouts aren't an error, partner. Since you are
incredibly sensitive regarding this issue, I am NOT suggesting Ryan was
"the best". He was fun to watch and put up some eye popping numbers
over a remarkable career. Nuff said, the horse is dead. Trent King
Old 05-30-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
To Jim65-

These are YOUR takes not mine, and they are indefensible. By definition,
maintaining pitching power for 25+ years is phenomenal, "extraordinary".
It is beyond ordinary.

And again, I'm no Nolan Ryan homer. His posters weren't on my walls,
I didn't pretend to be him while playing neighborhood ball, etc. You posted
a series of remarks which clearly were meant to downplay his achievements
and (predictably) zoomed in on an error I made at 6am while typing. SEVEN
no hitters and 5700+ strikeouts aren't an error, partner. Since you are
incredibly sensitive regarding this issue, I am NOT suggesting Ryan was
"the best". He was fun to watch and put up some eye popping numbers
over a remarkable career. Nuff said, the horse is dead. Trent King
THIS!!!!!!! +2 ---Brian Powell
Old 05-30-2022, 07:18 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
To Jim65-

These are YOUR takes not mine, and they are indefensible.
1. Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Greg Maddux, Tom Seaver, Lefty Grove are All-Time greats, Nolan Ryan is a notch below. Why is that an insult? Thats a pretty good place to be.

2. This point is beyond ridiculous, Calling something phenomenal is an opinion, not a fact. A poster saidI a 112 ERA+ is phenomenal. I disagreed. Hes not wrong, Im not wrong. Its opinion.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post

2. This point is beyond ridiculous, Calling something phenomenal is an opinion, not a fact. A poster saidI a 112 ERA+ is phenomenal. I disagreed. Hes not wrong, Im not wrong. Its opinion.
For the tenth time, this did not happen. I said a 112 ERA+ is phenomenal in the context of one of the longest careers in baseball history. I specified this again and again while you keep alleging I made a different argument. I get it, it’s easier to argue against what you would have preferred I said. Phenomenal is an opinion, we can disagree, but you would seem more reasonable if you stopped lying about what was said.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:23 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
For the tenth time, this did not happen. I said a 112 ERA+ is phenomenal in the context of one of the longest careers in baseball history. I specified this again and again while you keep alleging I made a different argument. I get it, it’s easier to argue against what you would have preferred I said. Phenomenal is an opinion, we can disagree, but you would seem more reasonable if you stopped lying about what was said.
Nolans ERA+ of 112 is the stat for his entire career. Nolan had 14 seasons when his ERA+ was below 112. You probably think thats phenomenal too, right?

Tommy John basically accomplished the same career stat 26 years and 111 ERA+ and he can't even get in the HOF. Is that phenomenal? Or amazing? Or unheard of?
Old 05-30-2022, 08:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Nolans ERA+ of 112 is the stat for his entire career. Nolan had 14 seasons when his ERA+ was below 112. You probably think thats phenomenal too, right?

Tommy John basically accomplished the same career stat 26 years and 111 ERA+ and he can't even get in the HOF. Is that phenomenal? Or amazing? Or unheard of?
Yes, he had some years better and some years below his career average. Like literally every single pitcher in baseball history who played more than a year or two. If you rank Ryan by his worst seasons he sucks. No shit.

I already answered paragraph 2 earlier about John. I have no idea why you think “unheard of” is a synonym for “phenomenal”. I already linked you to the dictionary earlier. Literally no player in history had a career that is “unheard of”. This is an absurd red herring.

I get it. Nolan is overrated. I’ve annoyed a few people here saying it too. But I don’t see a reasonable argument that he wasn’t phenomenal. Ripken, Jeter, they are also overrated and had phenomenal careers You haven’t made an argument, you just claim I said things I didn’t say and then say this statement you invented is wrong. We can debate where the boundary should be. We can debate his career. But you just keep making things up and claiming I said things I did not say. It’s a public transcript, we can all read it. Argue on the strength of your own argument instead of inventing arguments to argue against that were not made by anyone.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:37 PM
J@mes In.gram

How many no-hitters did Ryan throw, 7? Who's next behind him? How many 1-hitters did Ryan throw? I don't know, just asking. My dad, who loved baseball, thought Dizzy Dean (before he had his toe broken by Earl Averill), Sandy Koufax, Bob Feller and Nolan Ryan were the best pitchers he ever saw. That's good enough for me.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
How many no-hitters did Ryan throw, 7? Who's next behind him? How many 1-hitters did Ryan throw? I don't know, just asking. My dad, who loved baseball, thought Dizzy Dean (before he had his toe broken by Earl Averill), Sandy Koufax, Bob Feller and Nolan Ryan were the best pitchers he ever saw. That's good enough for me.
Ryan had 7 no-hitters. I looked it up, and there are only 8 active pitchers with 7 or more shutouts for their entire career.

This record is about as unbeatable as Cy Young's 511 Wins now. Pretty sure we'll still have this one in the record book in 2122
Old 06-01-2022, 08:21 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
How many no-hitters did Ryan throw, 7? Who's next behind him? How many 1-hitters did Ryan throw? I don't know, just asking.
I actually just saw this somewhere the other day. Found a source after looking again and put the link below.

Koufax is next with 4 no-hitters and four other pitchers have 3 no-hitters (Cy Young, Larry Corcoran, Bob Feller, and Justin Verlander).

For Nolan Ryan and the other question you asked:

7 no-hitters
12 one-hitters
18 two-hitters

https://www.mlb.com/news/nolan-ryan-...tats-and-facts

Last edited by BCauley; 06-01-2022 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add line for pitchers with no-hitters.