NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Woodling's daughter on Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: writehooks

Did anyone else see Gene Woodling's daughter on Antiques Roadshow from Dallas this weekend? She brought along her dad's binder of signed photos (mostly Yankees), along with some autographed baseballs and 19 of 20 of Gene's major league contracts. The appraiser estimated the total archive at around $80,000.

I'm curious if anyone recalls other instances of offspring of ex-major leaguers being featured on Roadshow??

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The relation of Kid Nichols brought his effects to the Antiques Roadshow. Included an album of signed congratulatory letters to Kid Nichols after he was elected to the Hall, including from Cobb and Connie Mack.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

That was the second daughter of a former major leaguer on this season already...and the show just started in January. Earl McNeely's daughter was on...she brought along her dad's 1924 World Series pin/pendant and a team panorama that was signed by the whole team including Walter Johnson. The appraiser valued both items at a total of $10,000 which I think is too low...IMO the photo probably brings that by itself and who knows what the WS Pendant sells for....McNeely had the game winning hit in the seventh game.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I didn't watch the show, but I can tell you through experience (as well as the experience of a trusted antique dealer that I know) that Antiques Roadshow is out of their mind with their estimates most of the time. How these "experts" create these numbers...I'd like to know. From above, it doesn't sound like $80,000 to me.

DJ

Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joey Settle

The estimate probably wasn't too far off as she also had 3 or 4 of his world series rings. If anything, I thought it was a little on the low side.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Yep...it was either a little low or right on the money. She had every single one of his contracts, a book completely filled with autographed photos of Yankee stars, three World Series rings and three or four team signed baseballs of Yankee championship teams. She made a comment that this was just "some" of the stuff she had as she had a lot more at home.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Wasn't the expert who appraised the pieces Mike Gutierrez of PSA/DNA?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Yes. Below is Gutierrez' bio on the show's website. Includes a link allowing you to watch the video of all his appraisals.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appraisers/gutierrez_mike.html

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Thanks for the link on the Woodling collection. I agree that the estimate based on what I saw is fair and might even be a little low with the 3 World Series rings which are absolutely beautiful.
Also check out the Satchell Page watch which was purchased from a pawn shop for $25. A great piece of memorabilia.