NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-27-2022, 03:09 PM
jimq16415 jimq16415 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 50
Default Does it make any difference if I grade this?

I'm not sure if it makes any difference to grade this. It's not nice so it might grade 1. I've heard postally used gets an A at PSA and anything written on is a 1 at SGC. The authenticity is probably OK base on the postmark. So my question for people smarter than me is -Would you bother?

I don't have any future plans for it and my wife does know not to put it in a dollar box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img161.jpg (168.7 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg img162.jpg (195.3 KB, 888 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-27-2022, 03:40 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

Just curious, what does it cost to slab something like that?

A slab, IMHO, will protect it and make it easier to sell if/when the time comes. However, if you have no plans to sell it and your wife knows not to give it away, then why bother with the slab?

Edited to add - I like the postally used cards, just like yours.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.

Last edited by Fred; 10-27-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2022, 03:51 PM
EddieP EddieP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 153
Default

I don’t see the point of getting it graded. Like you said it’s in poor condition and it’s already authenticated by the Post Office. If you want to protect it get it professionally framed. I agree with Fred, I like postcards with writing because I think it adds alot of character and uniqueness to the postcard.

Last edited by EddieP; 10-27-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2022, 03:52 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,050
Default

If no question on authenticity and no intent to sell, it doesn't make sense to me to slab most cards these days.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2022, 03:58 PM
rand1com rand1com is offline
R@ndy Hart.soe
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 467
Default

I would slab it. It will be slabbed only "Authentic" but to me it would be worth the expense to do it especially if you are not in a big hurry to get it back if you submit to PSA or if you would like to get it back quickly, send it to SGC and you will have it back in your hands in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2022, 04:18 PM
Vintagedeputy's Avatar
Vintagedeputy Vintagedeputy is offline
Jim Reynolds
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Glen Allen, Va.
Posts: 280
Default

I’m different and weird. I grade stuff not based on if it may or may not be “worth it”.

I like the encapsulation, the authentication and the look of a labeled slab. Makes it a helluva lot easier to sell later too when I’m gone.

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 10-27-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2022, 04:18 PM
BobbyStrawberry's Avatar
BobbyStrawberry BobbyStrawberry is offline
♏︎™t✝️ℌǝɯ ♓︎ļĶℊℌ
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 1,318
Default

I also would not bother. The postmark and cancellation would be enough for me.
__________________
_
⚾️ Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2022, 04:22 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 10,855
Default

Id slab because everything is for sale/negotiable at some point.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2022, 04:46 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,466
Default

Depends on motivation/intent.

If you plan on selling it, I would absolutely grade it- SGC so you get a numerical grade.

If you are just going to keep it indefinitely, then whatever makes you happy.

Nice card BTW. And know that some PC collectors prefer the postal stamp and appreciate the content if the writing

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-27-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2022, 05:06 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,463
Default

If it's cheap enough (and the wait isn't long...hello, SGC) to grade it, I say definitely do it. Like other have said, it protects it, plus it's easier to take out and show people this cool piece from 1909 when it's sitting protected in a slab.
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

ďI was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.Ē
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-27-2022, 05:10 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
Luke Lyon
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,587
Default

Like everyone is saying it just depends on if you want to. I would because I like how the holders look uniform and have a little label stating what the card is. I like that look better than a top loader. If that has no appeal to you, then there's no real reason. Then the only consideration is, eventually someone will probably grade it and sell it. Would it be cheaper to get that done now?
__________________
ThatT206Life.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-27-2022, 05:29 PM
JeremyW's Avatar
JeremyW JeremyW is online now
Jeremy W.
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 908
Default

There's no downside in having it graded.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-27-2022, 05:46 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is offline
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Depends on motivation/intent.

If you plan on selling it, I would absolutely grade it- SGC so you get a numerical grade.

If you are just going to keep it indefinitely, then whatever makes you happy.

Nice card BTW. And know that some PC collectors prefer the postal stamp and appreciate the content if the writing
+1 agree if the intent is to sell it then it would be worth getting it graded. Easier to sell and it protects it.
I also like that it has writing on it adds character to it
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-27-2022, 08:48 PM
Lobo Aullando's Avatar
Lobo Aullando Lobo Aullando is offline
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 105
Default

I remember getting a good shudder from post #4 in this thread: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295781
__________________
"Don't mistake activity for achievement." Ė John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2022, 08:55 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

I haven't had anything graded in a while. What is the cost of grading something like this post card? PSA? SGC?
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-27-2022, 09:14 PM
Tyruscobb Tyruscobb is offline
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ü.Σ
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
There's no downside in having it graded.
I agree. There is no downside - other than the grading fee and shipping/insurance costs. The upside is: (1) You can easily store it with your other slabbed cards; (2) It is better protected; and (3) surely, the slab will clue your family in that it has value when yougo to that big card show in the sky one day.

Great card by the way!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-28-2022, 08:41 AM
jimq16415 jimq16415 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 50
Default

Thanks everybody for the great advice! I found this in a box with my other postcards recently and had forgotten I had it. When I looked up a value for SGC I was surprised.

We decided not to grade it. I can keep it between a couple graded Cobb Exhibit cards and it will be safe. When the time comes for my wife to sell it, she has an old dealer friend who can help.

Grading at SGC looks like 275 including return shipping. Getting it there is the hard part. USPS lost the last card I sold and insurance was a struggle. I don't want that again!

Anyway thanks again. You guys helped a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-28-2022, 09:45 AM
obcbobd obcbobd is offline
Bob Donaldson
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
There's no downside in having it graded.
1) Cost. I realize you may make it back when you sell, but if he is not planning on selling

2) Not having the item in your possession for X months

3) Getting lost or damaged in mail or by grading company

You may feel the upside well compensates for these, and you are probably right (if planning to sell), but downsides do exist.
__________________
My wantlist http://www.oldbaseball.com/wantlists...tag=bdonaldson
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-28-2022, 12:07 PM
rand1com rand1com is offline
R@ndy Hart.soe
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
1) Cost. I realize you may make it back when you sell, but if he is not planning on selling

2) Not having the item in your possession for X months

3) Getting lost or damaged in mail or by grading company

You may feel the upside well compensates for these, and you are probably right (if planning to sell), but downsides do exist.
1. Being worth a thousand dollars more than the grading fees when slabbed.
2. SGC is turning cards around in two weeks or less.
3. USPS registered mail is 99.99999% safe with full insurance for the item. They don't lose these because someone in the postal service has to sign off on the package at each stage of the shipment and whoever signs is personally responsible for the package at that stage.

Last edited by rand1com; 10-28-2022 at 12:08 PM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-28-2022, 04:06 PM
BobC BobC is online now
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
1. Being worth a thousand dollars more than the grading fees when slabbed.
2. SGC is turning cards around in two weeks or less.
3. USPS registered mail is 99.99999% safe with full insurance for the item. They don't lose these because someone in the postal service has to sign off on the package at each stage of the shipment and whoever signs is personally responsible for the package at that stage.

1. Yes, but if he's not looking to sell he could use the grading fee to afford more cards.

2. Also yes, but if doing the grading to sell, most people feel PSA graded items sell for more than other TPG graded items, so using SGC may not be considered a good grading option.

3. Yes once more, but you can only control that when sending to the TPG. What about when it is being back to you? Can you dictate to any/all the TPGs you may use how they have to return it to you?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-28-2022, 04:11 PM
BobC BobC is online now
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,562
Default

Sorry - Double post.

Last edited by BobC; 10-28-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-28-2022, 04:16 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,004
Default

Remember, if you have it slabbed, you can no longer do this to your card.

Brian (not my fingers, not my toes)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeenutbending.jpg (72.7 KB, 567 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-28-2022, 04:58 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

Exactly - you can't touch it any more! You could only view it through the plastic condom.

Just think, a little more pressure and you'd have a card that would allow you to practice removing a crease from the card.

Admittedly, I have MANY slabbed cards but at least you can let a 4 year old play with them and not worry too much about them.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-28-2022, 04:58 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Remember, if you have it slabbed, you can no longer do this to your card.

Brian (not my fingers, not my toes)
Exactly - you can't touch it any more! You could only view it through the plastic condom.

Just think, a little more pressure and you'd have a card that would allow you to practice removing a crease from the card.

Admittedly, I have MANY slabbed cards but at least you can let a 4 year old play with them and not worry too much about them.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-28-2022, 06:01 PM
rand1com rand1com is offline
R@ndy Hart.soe
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
1. Yes, but if he's not looking to sell he could use the grading fee to afford more cards.

2. Also yes, but if doing the grading to sell, most people feel PSA graded items sell for more than other TPG graded items, so using SGC may not be considered a good grading option.

3. Yes once more, but you can only control that when sending to the TPG. What about when it is being back to you? Can you dictate to any/all the TPGs you may use how they have to return it to you?
Good points. In the old days, the grading companies used USPS registered mail for return delivery with insurance but I no longer grade cards so they may well use FedEX and UPS exclusively in today's world so your 3rd point is well taken.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-28-2022, 07:33 PM
BobC BobC is online now
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
Good points. In the old days, the grading companies used USPS registered mail for return delivery with insurance but I no longer grade cards so they may well use FedEX and UPS exclusively in today's world so your 3rd point is well taken.
Randy, just so you know, was not trying to put your points down at all, they are all good points. It is just that there are other conflicting points that also can be valid in questions of grading or not grading, and deciding which TPG to use if you do go the grading route. There is no right or wrong answer, and it is ultimately up to the person that owns the card to decide what they, and they alone, are comfortable in doing.

And when asked by someone like the OP, the best we can do is try to present and give as many different options, along with the pros and cons of each, to the various alternatives and choices available so the person asking has as much info as possible to make the best informed decision for themself that they can. All good, and hopefully whatever the OP chooses and ends up doing satisfies and makes him happy.

Last edited by BobC; 10-28-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-28-2022, 08:17 PM
rand1com rand1com is offline
R@ndy Hart.soe
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Randy, just so you know, was not trying to put your points down at all, they are all good points. It is just that there are other conflicting points that also can be valid in questions of grading or not grading, and deciding which TPG to use if you do go the grading route. There is no right or wrong answer, and it is ultimately up to the person that owns the card to decide what they, and they alone, are comfortable in doing.

And when asked by someone like the OP, the best we can do is try to present and give as many different options, along with the pros and cons of each, to the various alternatives and choices available so the person asking has as much info as possible to make the best informed decision for themself that they can. All good, and hopefully whatever the OP chooses and ends up doing satisfies and makes him happy.
I totally agree. The owner always makes the decision and the good thing about this forum is there are varying expert opinions for virtually any question. I certainly took no offense at your points. Again, I buy some graded cards but stopped grading myself because obviously I cannot see well enough with a 10 power loupe to find the defects that always caused my expected 7's to be actual 5's.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-28-2022, 08:40 PM
BobC BobC is online now
Bob C.
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 2,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
I totally agree. The owner always makes the decision and the good thing about this forum is there are varying expert opinions for virtually any question. I certainly took no offense at your points. Again, I buy some graded cards but stopped grading myself because obviously I cannot see well enough with a 10 power loupe to find the defects that always caused my expected 7's to be actual 5's.
LOL

I hear you. I don't send anything in to be graded either. Only once submitted some items directly to SGC at a show to get them authenticated. And also like you, I've bought a lot of graded cards over the years. Not necessarily because I wanted to, but because no comparable raw versions were readily available at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-28-2022, 11:30 PM
todeen's Avatar
todeen todeen is offline
Tim Odeen
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Id slab because everything is for sale/negotiable at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
There's no downside in having it graded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I agree. There is no downside - other than the grading fee and shipping/insurance costs. The upside is: (1) You can easily store it with your other slabbed cards; (2) It is better protected; and (3) surely, the slab will clue your family in that it has value when yougo to that big card show in the sky one day.

Great card by the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Exactly - you can't touch it any more! You could only view it through the plastic condom.

Just think, a little more pressure and you'd have a card that would allow you to practice removing a crease from the card.

Admittedly, I have MANY slabbed cards but at least you can let a 4 year old play with them and not worry too much about them.
I ruined a card two years ago that I was too lazy to slab. It hurts to think about. Don't risk your wife's future lottery ticket. Slab it!

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
__________________
Barry Larkin, Joey Votto, Tris Speaker, 1930-45 Cincinnati Reds, T206 Cincinnati
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-29-2022, 08:42 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 32,519
Default

I would probably, not positively, grade it for protection.
.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-29-2022, 08:56 AM
3-2-count's Avatar
3-2-count 3-2-count is online now
T0NY @
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,737
Default

I would have it graded if it were mine.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-29-2022, 09:33 AM
jamest206 jamest206 is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 240
Default

Arenít some of these that are graded on the Heritage Fall Auction? Iíd definitely get it graded
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-29-2022, 01:34 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,043
Default

Another reason not to grade, if one is not planning to sell in the short term, is that you may need to regrade later to get your profit. There is a price differential for older graded cards already, and it is a very real possibility the market changes significantly in the next few years. With CSG rising, the almost inevitability of AI based grading removing the viewer from the occasion, if you're selling in 10-15+ years that PSA slab you have right now may not be the slab you or your heirs will want to sell it in. You might need to crack and submit to someone else or an AI service, or send back in and pay a fee to get it into a modern holder (though the serial would still give it away it's an older grade with different standards).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-29-2022, 01:39 PM
raulus raulus is offline
Nicol0 Pin.oli
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Another reason not to grade, if one is not planning to sell in the short term, is that you may need to regrade later to get your profit. There is a price differential for older graded cards already, and it is a very real possibility the market changes significantly in the next few years. With CSG rising, the almost inevitability of AI based grading removing the viewer from the occasion, if you're selling in 10-15+ years that PSA slab you have right now may not be the slab you or your heirs will want to sell it in. You might need to crack and submit to someone else or an AI service, or send back in and pay a fee to get it into a modern holder (though the serial would still give it away it's an older grade with different standards).
Unless I’m totally off my rocker, a card with writing, a stamp, and a postmark on it like this is probably going to grade as authentic or 1. Unless the grading standards change between now and then, I suspect that a different grading system isn’t going to result in much of a difference that way.

If we were talking about a different piece with a potential for a higher grade, then I totally agree.

I suppose there’s still always the possibility that you raise that the most valuable case today might change over the next 15-20 years or more, so that might be reason enough to wait just to see where the market goes.
__________________
Trying to wrap up my master mays set, with just a few left:

1959 Bazooka Complete Box
M118 (PSA calls it 1963 Baseball Magazine)
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 10-29-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-29-2022, 01:46 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Unless Iím totally off my rocker, a card with writing, a stamp, and a postmark on it like this is probably going to grade as authentic or 1. Unless the grading standards change between now and then, I suspect that a different grading system isnít going to result in much of a difference that way.

If we were talking about a different piece with a potential for a higher grade, then I totally agree.

I suppose thereís still always the possibility that you raise that the most valuable case today might change over the next 15-20 years or more, so that might be reason enough to wait just to see where the market goes.
I mean obviously this exact card is a 1 in any real system. I never contradicted that at all. The recent posts have been giving reasons to or not to grade cards one doesn't immediately plan to sell. I never said this card might be a 2 in 10-15 years... The market shifts with new slabs and new companies. In 15 years if AI grading is the rage, people won't want PSA. Obviously this card is a 1. Set registries and people wanting the current thing will have the same impact; if people have moved away from PSA and into AI, then they won't want PSA eye graded slabs. Others even want the current gen slab regardless of the number. A slab is not a card, it is following the herd to whatever the hot thing of the moment is. That hot thing probably won't be the same in the future. Thus it is a waste of cash to pay to grade twice if one is not selling in the next few years.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-29-2022, 02:01 PM
raulus raulus is offline
Nicol0 Pin.oli
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I mean obviously this exact card is a 1 in any real system. I never contradicted that at all. The recent posts have been giving reasons to or not to grade cards one doesn't immediately plan to sell. I never said this card might be a 2 in 10-15 years... The market shifts with new slabs and new companies. In 15 years if AI grading is the rage, people won't want PSA. Obviously this card is a 1. Set registries and people wanting the current thing will have the same impact; if people have moved away from PSA and into AI, then they won't want PSA eye graded slabs. Others even want the current gen slab regardless of the number. A slab is not a card, it is following the herd to whatever the hot thing of the moment is. That hot thing probably won't be the same in the future. Thus it is a waste of cash to pay to grade twice if one is not selling in the next few years.
Do you feel like the market places a premium on newer slabs simply because they are newer/shinier?

Or is it because there is a perception that older slabs have less stringent grading?

Or maybe both?!

In this specific case, if the reason for the difference is due to changing grading standards, then maybe there wouldnít be a difference, simply because this is a 1/auth either way.

Naturally, if itís a situation where a shiny new case is more valuable simply because itís new and shiny, and youíre decades away from selling, then waiting makes total sense.
__________________
Trying to wrap up my master mays set, with just a few left:

1959 Bazooka Complete Box
M118 (PSA calls it 1963 Baseball Magazine)
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-29-2022, 02:12 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Do you feel like the market places a premium on newer slabs simply because they are newer/shinier?

Or is it because there is a perception that older slabs have less stringent grading?

Or maybe both?!

In this specific case, if the reason for the difference is due to changing grading standards, then maybe there wouldnít be a difference, simply because this is a 1/auth either way.

Naturally, if itís a situation where a shiny new case is more valuable simply because itís new and shiny, and youíre decades away from selling, then waiting makes total sense.
Effectively both. It begins with the perception that todays standards are better, and people gravitate to that. Whether it is true or not doesn't seem to matter. It pushes down into the lower grades as the thing to have (a 1 from 20 years ago doesn't fetch the same as a 1 graded now, and a 1 graded by PSA sells higher than a 1 from SGC or a raw 1 even if a card is very obviously authentic and a 1).

If there wasn't a slab difference for 1's, people wouldn't need to grade 1's for money at all. I think the grading game is a silly absurdity of a measuring contest and crack all my graded cards (except for a few in my trade bait box that I have raw versions of) personally, but it is what it is. If you're trying to make money, people want the new slab of the time you sell it, and of the top grader at that time. PSA's dominance doesn't look assured with the rise of more serious competition and the clear future direction of computer grading. The money you might save by grading now rather than later as prices increase over time and gambling nothing changes in the future seems more risky than to just hold raw and grade right before you sell off.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-29-2022, 05:55 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK STÄ!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,836
Default

I would just do what YOU want to do, and not let othersí perceptions or herd-like mentality dictate what you do with your card. Itís a nifty one, whether or not you give your money over to a grader who thinks itís a ď1Ē at best.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-30-2022, 10:17 AM
Rad_Hazard's Avatar
Rad_Hazard Rad_Hazard is offline
Jeremy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 365
Default

I would definitely get it slabbed. Mostly because I like the looks of stuff like that in an SGC tuxedo, but also it's easier to move down the road if you decide to sell it. I've told myself multiple times that certain cards are "mine forever", but then I moved them a month later.
__________________
⚾️ Successful transactions with: npa589, OhioCardCollector, BaseballChuck, J56baseball, Ben Yourg, helfrich91, oldjudge
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-21-2022, 10:17 AM
jimq16415 jimq16415 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 50
Default

Thanks for all the advice! I like it better slabbed, and other than a few anxious moments due to the idiots at USPS it was painless. Best of all, if something happens it will be easier for the wife.img176.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-21-2022, 08:38 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

How much did it cost to have encapsulated?

I haven't had anything graded in a while and if I'm hearing correctly, the grading fee may be dependent upon the value of the card. I kind of get that, but what happens if you have a card that you think is an "8" and at that valuation it is $10K, but when you receive it, the label indicates "7" and the value of the card at that grade is half. Does that mean you paid a higher grading fee for the card? I'm totally lost these days when it comes to grading.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-21-2022, 09:14 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is online now
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 10,855
Default

Looks great and I am glad you did it!!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-21-2022, 09:44 PM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 6,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I kind of get that, but what happens if you have a card that you think is an "8" and at that valuation it is $10K, but when you receive it, the label indicates "7" and the value of the card at that grade is half. Does that mean you paid a higher grading fee for the card?
In your case, yes. You would still pay the grading fee for a $9999 value card even if after grading it is only worth $4,000. Your extra benefit was that it took 2 less days at PSA's headquarters than if you had estimated it at $4,000 in the first place.

Most people underestimate their grades by about 1 number and submit with that projected valuation. Sometimes that will lead to them underpaying and getting a good grade. Sometimes PSA will upcharge them to the $9999 level since they have to underwrite the return shipping costs and that is also part of the service level.
__________________
--
PWCC: The Fish Stinks From the Head
PSA: Regularly Get Cheated
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-21-2022, 10:27 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Iím different and weird. I grade stuff not based on if it may or may not be ďworth itĒ.

I like the encapsulation, the authentication and the look of a labeled slab. Makes it a helluva lot easier to sell later too when Iím gone.
I agree with this. I would get it graded even if no immediate plans to sell personally. But only you can answer if it would be worth the expense to you.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-21-2022, 10:48 PM
todeen's Avatar
todeen todeen is offline
Tim Odeen
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Looks great and I am glad you did it!!
me too! Good choice

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
__________________
Barry Larkin, Joey Votto, Tris Speaker, 1930-45 Cincinnati Reds, T206 Cincinnati
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-22-2022, 09:23 AM
jimq16415 jimq16415 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
How much did it cost to have encapsulated?

I haven't had anything graded in a while and if I'm hearing correctly, the grading fee may be dependent upon the value of the card. I kind of get that, but what happens if you have a card that you think is an "8" and at that valuation it is $10K, but when you receive it, the label indicates "7" and the value of the card at that grade is half. Does that mean you paid a higher grading fee for the card? I'm totally lost these days when it comes to grading.
It was 250 plus return shipping. If you value it higher than it grades, you paid too much. If you think it's a 7 and it gets an 8, you pay an upcharge sometimes but it's worth paying the extra. For me the only question was A or1. I was happy with either.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-22-2022, 10:41 AM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,345
Default

Thank you for the responses. Wow - I'm totally blown away at the cost of grading these days. With the high valuations of cards, the grading companies must be making a lot of money.

What a racket. With card prices as high as they are now the fees must be ridiculous. Just curious, IF someone had a T206 Wagner that was raw and about VG condition, how much would it cost to have it graded?

Is there some MAX fee for the TPGs? At some point, it's just ridiculous. Do they also charge these crazy fees for new/shiny 1 of 1 cards that people are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for?
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-22-2022, 01:28 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Coll.in$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What a racket. With card prices as high as they are now the fees must be ridiculous. Just curious, IF someone had a T206 Wagner that was raw and about VG condition, how much would it cost to have it graded?
I don't know about PSA. SGC rises incrementally, charging up to $3,750 for a $100K card, and then says to add an additional $375 per $10k of value above that. So say you had a card that you value at around $500K. That would be $3,750 + $375(40) = $18,750? $1M = $37,500. The $12M Rosen Mantle 9.5 - $450K? Now, the guy that consigned it I really hope didn't pay that much to have it graded, because he didn't know what it was going to sell for. That is a unique pricing situation. When he bought it from Al Rosen, it was just in one of those thick screw-down cases.

I would have to imagine that if you have a Wagner or something of that caliber you are going to send to them, you would call and negotiate a price for the grading first. I don't know about the lower grade prewar stuff, but look at how much publicity SGC got at the National out of that Mantle.
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967, '71 & '72 Topps sets. Midgrade ok. Low grade ok. AA ok...

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-22-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-22-2022, 01:30 PM
jimq16415 jimq16415 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Thank you for the responses. Wow - I'm totally blown away at the cost of grading these days. With the high valuations of cards, the grading companies must be making a lot of money.

What a racket. With card prices as high as they are now the fees must be ridiculous. Just curious, IF someone had a T206 Wagner that was raw and about VG condition, how much would it cost to have it graded?

Is there some MAX fee for the TPGs? At some point, it's just ridiculous. Do they also charge these crazy fees for new/shiny 1 of 1 cards that people are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for?

I don't speak for anyone else but for me to have that card in a slab and harder for me to mess it up and easier for me wife to not get cheated later is well worth the cost.

Back in 2020 I listed a Jordan card on ebay for $20. No takers, offers, etc. Graded a 10 at PSA, sold immediately for 1500. It's a crazy 'hobby"

I think PSA has a walk thru service. I can't afford those cards so I don't know what it costs. lots!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-22-2022, 02:26 PM
Joe Hunter Joe Hunter is offline
Joe Hunter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Kansas City area
Posts: 360
Default

I think you made the right decision. Looks great in the holder and might even bring more than the "average" 1 if you decide to sell. There is such a variance in condition for cards in that grade, and I would consider your Cobb a higher end 1.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does it Make Any Difference? 56Horsehide Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 07-10-2019 01:42 PM
Difference in value of cards per grade level MilBraves Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 01-24-2011 12:10 PM
psa 1/2 grade, has it really made a difference ?? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 1 05-07-2008 09:28 AM
When it comes to ebay auctions..scans make all the difference Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 03-12-2007 01:45 PM
I guess grading does make a difference Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 09-27-2005 12:40 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.


ebay GSB