NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 10:47 PM

Default 1979 Gretzky's PSA 10

Looks like the OPC and Topps 1979 Gretzky PSA 10's will be coming up in the Heritage auction starting in mid November. Any guesses at the final prices.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:40 AM

still odd to me that the OPC 10 can look so crusty on the edges. i know that's how their stock looks but for over $1M purchase, that would irk me. still a sick card and i'd love to get even a 3 or a 4.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Looks like the OPC and Topps 1979 Gretzky PSA 10's will be coming up in the Heritage auction starting in mid November. Any guesses at the final prices.
Didn't the last 10 sell for $457,000+ U.S or something like that a couple years ago, or has one sold higher since then?
I am real curious what it sells for as well but if I had to guess, I'd say around the same or just slightly higher? I know Gretzky RC's have taken off like crazy lately but I'm not sure when it comes to a high grade like this one, if the same money will be spent or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
still odd to me that the OPC 10 can look so crusty on the edges. i know that's how their stock looks but for over $1M purchase, that would irk me. still a sick card and i'd love to get even a 3 or a 4.
The famous OPC wire cut. Personally, being a CDN, I only purchase OPC cards if I can help it. There is just something nostalgic about them that I prefer, plus when you know that far fewer OPC copies were produced than Topps, it makes them all that more appealing as well, imo.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The famous OPC wire cut. Personally, being a CDN, I only purchase OPC cards if I can help it. There is just something nostalgic about them that I prefer, plus when you know that far fewer OPC copies were produced than Topps, it makes them all that more appealing as well, imo.
i have a ton of both topps and OPC, but would prefer to have all OPC (value vs actual eye appeal). got a few early 1980s gretzky cards that actually look mint vs that wire cut look.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Gentlemen ... gentlemen ...

These 79' OPC cards were not cut with wires! They were cut using a slitter machine - and a very old one! Ten sheets were inserted at a time and the ones at the bottom got the roughest edges.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

I'd be suspicious of one WITHOUT a rough cut.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Nick Kidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

These 79' OPC cards were not cut with wires! They were cut using a slitter machine - and a very old one! Ten sheets were inserted at a time and the ones at the bottom got the roughest edges.
Interesting. Always heard wires and when they were dull you got rough cut.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Not saying what you said above is incorrect but I have never heard of that before either.
Was always told wire, and possibly an aircraft type quality wire.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I have pictures of the employees putting sheets through the slitter machine. I have lots of other pictures of the O-Pee-Chee plant as well. I can tell you right now that there were no aircraft wires in there.

And no, I cannot post these pictures on a public forum. They were sent to me by a Canadian researcher and he wouldn't be pleased if I did this.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I have pictures of the employees putting sheets through the slitter machine. I have lots of other pictures of the O-Pee-Chee plant as well. I can tell you right now that there were no aircraft wires in there.

And no, I cannot post these pictures on a public forum. They were sent to me by a Canadian researcher and he wouldn't be pleased if I did this.
that's some awesome intel. thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:

The OPC last sold in 2016 for $465K. The Topps last sold a few months later in 2016 for $201K. Both are pop 2 in PSA 10 grade. Think about how much the card market has grown since then. I think the OPC sells for $1-2M minimum. It could go for $2M plus with buyer premium. I think the Topps goes for 40-50% of the cost of the OPC card. In 2016 the Topps sold for 43% of the OPC. I am looking to acquire an OPC in a PSA 9 grade as there are 89 of them and I think they will jump after the PSA 10 sale because they are the highest grade that are somewhat attainable.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:09 AM
David Peck

The OPC 10 was on eBay for months and months at 1 Mil and no sale.

It will be interesting to see if the different venue brings out bigger money.

Looking forward to following these two.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:56 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
The OPC 10 was on eBay for months and months at 1 Mil and no sale.

It will be interesting to see if the different venue brings out bigger money.

Looking forward to following these two.
I can't imagine that it won't bring out the big bucks. Would imagine that those with the means are much more likely to hand Heritage 2 mill than any ebay seller, even probstein or pwcc.

Agree with EJKaufman, maybe around 2 million for the OPC and somewhere in the 750 k to 1 million range for the Topps
Old 10-27-2020, 02:28 PM
David Peck

https://youtu.be/66yNvHeePq4

This is the guy who had them listed and who must have consigned them.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
https://youtu.be/66yNvHeePq4

This is the guy who had them listed and who must have consigned them.
I have seen this video before, but I totally forgot about his Gretzky! Well done, Peck!

I don't agree with this guy. He stated that the GOAT in football can always be debated. For example, some say it's Brady, others say it is Barry Sanders, others say Elway, etc. But in hockey, according to him, there is no debate. Now first of all, how can anyone compare a QB to a WR or a RB? It just wouldn't make sense to say that Jim Brown will always be better than Tom Brady. I think the same thing can be said about hockey. Yes, Gretzky is the greatest forward of all-time. However, the greatest d-man will always be Bobby Orr. And the greatest goalie? Now that would make an interesting debate!

Last edited by samosa4u; 10-28-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-28-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I have seen this video before, but I totally forgot about his Gretzky! Well done, Peck!

I don't agree with this guy. He stated that the GOAT in football can always be debated. For example, some say it's Brady, others say it is Barry Sanders, others say Elway, etc. But in hockey, according to him, there is no debate. Now first of all, how can anyone compare a QB to a WR or a RB? It just wouldn't make sense to say that Jim Brown will always be better than Tom Brady. I think the same thing can be said about hockey. Yes, Gretzky is the greatest forward of all-time. However, the greatest d-man will always be Bobby Orr. And the greatest goalie? Now that would make an interesting debate!
Look at it this way in terms of GOAT in Hockey. Gretzky played on the most stacked team ever and scored and passed all day winning scoring titles but was non existent on defense. Orr was defenseman of the year 8 straight years AND won scoring titles AND MVP's as the best scorer of his era. He was defenseman of the year and was at the top of the scoring leaders every year also. The first 100 assist season was accomplished by Orr, a defenseman. Orr is the ONLY player in the sports history to do this. Not even an argument for me as who is the GOAT. He is undoubtedly the #1 5 tool player the sport has ever seen.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default goalies

Here's one list anyhow. I am guessing Hasek tops more lists than anyone else.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...es-of-all-time

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

I would have no problem with Hasek at #1.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Look at it this way in terms of GOAT in Hockey. Gretzky played on the most stacked team ever and scored and passed all day winning scoring titles but was non existent on defense. Orr was defenseman of the year 8 straight years AND won scoring titles AND MVP's as the best scorer of his era. He was defenseman of the year and was at the top of the scoring leaders every year also. The first 100 assist season was accomplished by Orr, a defenseman. Orr is the ONLY player in the sports history to do this. Not even an argument for me as who is the GOAT. He is undoubtedly the #1 5 tool player the sport has ever seen.
This is essentially the argument you will get from most Bostonians. I'm not sure that many people anywhere else buy it though.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
This is essentially the argument you will get from most Bostonians. I'm not sure that many people anywhere else buy it though.
Just a common sense argument for me. Played at the highest level on offense AND defense. Pretty much a no brainier for me.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I agree, and considering how short Orr's career was due to injuries from not being protected like Gretzky was, one can only imagine the feats he would have accomplished if he was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby Orr 70 OPC 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I agree, and considering how short Orr's career was due to injuries from not being protected like Gretzky was, one can only imagine the feats he would have accomplished if he was.
The crazy thing is that Orr in only 9 seasons had a higher career +/- than Gretzky in a 20 year career.
Needless to say, both are 2 of the best and they are incredible on and off the ice.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:13 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

I would say that is definitely not the general consensus among the hockey cognoscenti. Comparing goaltenders of past generations is difficult, and considering Hasek played in an era dominated by two better netminders in both Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur, I don't think the appellation of greatest of all time could possibly be bestowed when he wasn't even the best of his generation.

ONE of the greatest all-time, of course, the absolute best though? I don't think so...
Old 10-29-2020, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Huysmans;2030198]I would say that is definitely not the general consensus among the hockey cognoscenti. Comparing goaltenders of past generations is difficult, and considering Hasek played in an era dominated by two better netminders in both Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur, I don't think the appellation of greatest of all time could possibly be bestowed when he wasn't even the best of his generation.

Hasek beats both in career save %, GAA and total Vezinas (6 to Brodeurs 4 and Roy's 3 ). All this while a rookie at 26 yrs. old. Pretty solid case. Even won a couple of Hart's.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would bet Hasek is on top of more lists than any other goalie, which is all I said.

Here's another.
https://www.thetoptens.com/best-ice-hockey-goalies/

Old 10-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Br.ent So.bie

[QUOTE=Tomi;2030250]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I would say that is definitely not the general consensus among the hockey cognoscenti. Comparing goaltenders of past generations is difficult, and considering Hasek played in an era dominated by two better netminders in both Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur, I don't think the appellation of greatest of all time could possibly be bestowed when he wasn't even the best of his generation.

Hasek beats both in career save %, GAA and total Vezinas (6 to Brodeurs 4 and Roy's 3 ). All this while a rookie at 26 yrs. old. Pretty solid case. Even won a couple of Hart's.
Both Roy and Brodeur had longer careers and were more consistent. And each were more successful during the playoffs when it matters most. And you mention GAA and save %, with the difference between the trio miniscule.

Brodeur is the only goaltender in history with eight 40-win seasons, while Roy is the only goaltender to win a trio of Conn Smythe trophies - arguably the most prestigious award in the entire sport.

Additionally, Roy was selected as the greatest goaltender in NHL history by a panel of 41 writers, coupled with a simultaneous fan poll in 2004, while Brodeur is the NHL's all-time regular season leader in wins and shutouts.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:01 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
I would bet Hasek is on top of more lists than any other goalie, which is all I said.

Here's another.
https://www.thetoptens.com/best-ice-hockey-goalies/
Yeah, but all lists are not created equal....
some are more important, from more reputable sources....

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=1923345
Old 10-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Hasek had the best nickname.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Hasek had the best nickname.
You could be right there.

Although...

Clint "Praying Benny" Benedict
Georges "The Chicoutimi Cucumber" Vezina
and
Jacques "Jake the Snake" Plante

are quite memorable as well.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
You could be right there.

Although...

Clint "Praying Benny" Benedict
Georges "The Chicoutimi Cucumber" Vezina
and
Jacques "Jake the Snake" Plante

are quite memorable as well.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Simple, and obvious. But still...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richard,m55.jpg (78.5 KB, 286 views)

Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I am not from Boston and I agree with Orr as the GOAT. Could the GOAT in baseball be a DH? I would rather have a complete player over a one dimensional one.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Gretzky is the GOAT in any team sport and it's not even close. I'm so tired of the Bobby Orr guys trying to push their greatest of all time agenda. Yes, he was spectacular...for 6 years. Gretzky checks every damn box when it comes to greatness. Regular season records. Career records. Championships. Making his teammates better. People like to say he wasn't great on defense. Guess what - he wasn't paid to play defense!!!
Old 10-30-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
Gretzky is the GOAT in any team sport and it's not even close. I'm so tired of the Bobby Orr guys trying to push their greatest of all time agenda. Yes, he was spectacular...for 6 years. Gretzky checks every damn box when it comes to greatness. Regular season records. Career records. Championships. Making his teammates better. People like to say he wasn't great on defense. Guess what - he wasn't paid to play defense!!!
9 years not 6. The GOAT is a 5 tool player, something Gretzky never was. His numbers were nothing in LA compared to what he did in Edmonton where everyone on his line was an all star. At least Gretzky was able to win many Lady Bing trophies as the nicest player.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:07 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:

Tony Esposito over Billy Smith? Curious list, indeed...
Old 10-31-2020, 05:12 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

For what it's worth,Lemieux could do everything Gretzky could. An added bonus was he was bigger. Also extra points for playing in the more physical Patrick Division vs the Smythe Division.

Who's ready to discuss 80s hockey? Let's go, boys...
Old 10-31-2020, 06:17 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
For what it's worth,Lemieux could do everything Gretzky could. An added bonus was he was bigger. Also extra points for playing in the more physical Patrick Division vs the Smythe Division.

Who's ready to discuss 80s hockey? Let's go, boys...
i keep seeing these GOAT arguments around competition for Gretzky. To me it's not even a discussion. Gretzky shattered the points and assists records by such a long-shot that his goal breaking records are an afterthought, and often overlooked. He has more career assists than any other player has total points! Think about that. On top of this, he is also the greatest goal scorer. What more are you looking for, lol.

I think the Hull/Lemieux arguments are crazy, but I always like to listen to what other people have to say.
Gretzky is the most dominant athlete in any sport.. Ever. I don't want to hear about golf, i am talking sports.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-31-2020, 06:22 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
9 years not 6. The GOAT is a 5 tool player, something Gretzky never was. His numbers were nothing in LA compared to what he did in Edmonton where everyone on his line was an all star. At least Gretzky was able to win many Lady Bing trophies as the nicest player.
everyone on his line was an all-star. true. but another thing Gretzky is the all-time leader in is short-handed goals- and again its not close. So he was dominant with only 1/2 of those all-stars.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 10-31-2020, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Wid_Conroy;2030711]i keep seeing these GOAT arguments around competition for Gretzky. To me it's not even a discussion. Gretzky shattered the points and assists records by such a long-shot that his goal breaking records are an afterthought, and often overlooked. He has more career assists than any other player has total points! Think about that. On top of this, he is also the greatest goal scorer. What more are you looking for, lol.

I guess we see a GOAT in different ways. You see the GOAT as someone who scored the most points. I see a GOAT as someone who does EVERYTHING. Orr is the only player in the history of the sport who was the best defenseman and offensive player of the year. What are you going to say if Ovechkin breaks his goal record? He has a legit shot.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:32 PM
D@le Irv*n

Don knows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8lNMMLZn-E
Old 11-01-2020, 02:18 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
i keep seeing these GOAT arguments around competition for Gretzky. To me it's not even a discussion. Gretzky shattered the points and assists records by such a long-shot that his goal breaking records are an afterthought, and often overlooked. He has more career assists than any other player has total points! Think about that. On top of this, he is also the greatest goal scorer. What more are you looking for, lol.

I think the Hull/Lemieux arguments are crazy, but I always like to listen to what other people have to say.
Gretzky is the most dominant athlete in any sport.. Ever. I don't want to hear about golf, i am talking sports.
Yes!!!
Old 11-01-2020, 02:24 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
I said Orr was spectacular for 6 years. Do you really think he was amazing in 1966, 1967 and 1968 when he scored 41, 31 and 64 points? So that leaves 1969-1974. An other-worldly run for a defenseman, for sure, but 6 spectacular years is not nearly enough for a player to be considered the GOAT.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:42 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

[QUOTE=Tomi;2030811]
Quote:

I guess we see a GOAT in different ways. You see the GOAT as someone who scored the most points. I see a GOAT as someone who does EVERYTHING. Orr is the only player in the history of the sport who was the best defenseman and offensive player of the year. What are you going to say if Ovechkin breaks his goal record? He has a legit shot.
Not at all. it's not that Gretzky was the best scorer, it is that he completely shattered what was normal in the game, completely dominated. When you get 2.5 points a game, which was freakish, frankly you don't really need elite defense. creating that many goals puts your team in a position to win 99% of the time. Please don't get it twisted, this is very different than a James Harden type in the current NBA. Harden might score the most, but he is no where near an outlier in what he does.

wrt to Ovechkin, back to my original point.... Gretzky produced so many total points, that his goal-scoring is actually overlooked. it was an afterthought. It's almost if he effortlessly became the greatest goal scorer this game as ever seen. If he ends up 2nd all time in goals, It won't make a difference.

Monster #236
Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM
Anson

The GOAT designation is overused and pretty ridiculous when considering changes to professional sports over the decades. Orr was a monster and the very best of his generation. But how would you honestly compare him to an Erik Karlsson or Nicklas Lidstrom? What about Gretzky or Crosby? Richard or Jagr? Its nonsensical. Way too many variables. These decisions come down to emotion, bias, and our own experience with the game. GOTT makes a lot more sense to me. Records are records, but they don't tell the whole story.

Back on topic, both of those 10s are well off-center. The OPC especially has me scratching my head.

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 11-17-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's only one opinion, but I heard an interview with Gordie Howe who was asked the inevitable question, if you could pick one player to start a team, would it be Orr or Gretzky? He said Orr.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Anson

I wonder what Gordie would say today? Orr or McDavid? Its a very different game now. Orr was a generational talent that transformed the position.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:34 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
It's only one opinion, but I heard an interview with Gordie Howe who was asked the inevitable question, if you could pick one player to start a team, would it be Orr or Gretzky? He said Orr.

old timers are typically bitter, and biased against newer players. Just like in basketball, when Jordan arrived there were those types who would claim they would build a team around Wilt or Russell.

Monster #236
Old 11-18-2020, 05:51 AM

Default Hockey GOAT?

How about Killer Carlson for GOAT? I'll see myself out now
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
And some players, like Phil Esposito, say Gordie Howe was the best ever.

Valid point and a true contender for GOAT as well, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3tvR30n1g
Old 11-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
old timers are typically bitter, and biased against newer players. Just like in basketball, when Jordan arrived there were those types who would claim they would build a team around Wilt or Russell.
I don't think that was the case at all with Howe, he had only the highest praise for Gretzky, but wanted to start his dream team with Orr on defense.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-18-2020 at 04:36 PM.