NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 10-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Default Pele

In 2015, Pele was scheduled to appear at the Chicago Sun Times show. I spent the month before the show purchasing as many vintage Pele cards as I could find. I flew to Chicago, and upon landing received an email notifying me that he had canceled his appearance. He was scheduled to sign at Steiner Sports in New York a few days later, so I overnighted all of my items to Steiner and fortunately he didn't cancel that signing. I didn't get to meet him, but I did get some very cool items signed. These cards have been sitting in my safe for the last several years, and I recently looked to see what his cards have been selling for and I was shocked. I think I paid less than $8,000 for all these cards/tickets and the autograph fee. I see that an unsigned Alifabolaget graded PSA 1 just sold for over $15K. Does anyone know the reason why his prices have spiked so dramatically? I don't have any plans to sell, but seeing these prices does make that possibility tempting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pele.jpg (76.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 10-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Scott S

Perfect timing to make those purchases in 2015! I had the misfortune of selling many Pele cards in 2014-15, including an Alifabolaget PSA 9 for what was then the ungodly sum of $5,000. It's a 6 figure card now.

Worldwide market has opened for Pele - when I list items on eBay, most are sold to international buyers. Desire for the GOAT in various sports has soared, and with Pele secure atop the soccer world as the GOAT, his cards have skyrocketed.

Prices have climbed for Pele over the past several years, but soccer has seen a large spike in 2020 across the board, which has brought Pele to an even higher level. I have cards which were $100 six months ago which are $300 now, both for Pele and for many others (Maradona, Ronaldo, etc.).

So, interesting question re: selling for sure, but can't imagine a better time than now for you!
Old 10-24-2020, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

The equally massive surge in Messi prices suggests to me that Pele's place may not be so secure after all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:54 PM

I recall considering buying a PSA 9 Alifabolaget around that same time period but passed because I was planning to get it signed and didn't see the point in spending an extra $3k-$4k. I actually ended up buying two raw ones for around $1,500 each and had both signed. I sold the extra one, which I think graded a 2, on ebay during the 2018 World Cup for around $8,000. I thought that price was crazy and almost sold more of my Peles during that time frame. Looking back I'm glad I didn't.

Your analysis of GOATs increasing in value seems to be true. I think the Jordan market started spiking and the others followed suit. The high end market in general has been going crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Perfect timing to make those purchases in 2015! I had the misfortune of selling many Pele cards in 2014-15, including an Alifabolaget PSA 9 for what was then the ungodly sum of $5,000. It's a 6 figure card now.

Worldwide market has opened for Pele - when I list items on eBay, most are sold to international buyers. Desire for the GOAT in various sports has soared, and with Pele secure atop the soccer world as the GOAT, his cards have skyrocketed.

Prices have climbed for Pele over the past several years, but soccer has seen a large spike in 2020 across the board, which has brought Pele to an even higher level. I have cards which were $100 six months ago which are $300 now, both for Pele and for many others (Maradona, Ronaldo, etc.).

So, interesting question re: selling for sure, but can't imagine a better time than now for you!

Last edited by Jasonxmay; 10-24-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:46 AM
Scott S

I wish I had your foresight in buying those and getting them signed - brilliant decision and impeccable timing. Best of luck, whatever you do with them!
Old 10-25-2020, 08:31 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Some guys have all the luck!

I'd say start with your least favorite, lowest grade copy with a high buy it now/best offer. It's impossible to time the market, however you only profit/loss when you do sell. The value on paper can dramatically fluctuate, though you bank account stays the same!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
I see that an unsigned Alifabolaget graded PSA 1 just sold for over $15K. Does anyone know the reason why his prices have spiked so dramatically? I don't have any plans to sell, but seeing these prices does make that possibility tempting.
First of all, the only Pele card that has exploded is the Alifabolaget. The others have gone up a bit, but nothing worth mentioning as of yet. Nobody truly knows why this has happened, but according to my discussions with another collector, there is some well-known guy in the hobby who seems to have fallen in love with this particular card. Every time this card would go up for sale, he would bid away! I couldn't tell you who the others are that bid up against him, but let me say that this whole thing has been really suspicious to me. This individual has been bidding like crazy on basketball cards as well, but again, the question is did money actually exchange hands here? Remember, there are fake sales that take place all the time in order to create fake comps, and you must always keep that in mind whenever you see a ridiculous price on eBay.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:01 PM

A PSA 2 1958 Editora Aquarela sold for $2600 yesterday. A PSA 8 Rekord Journal sold for $7300 last month. Those cards could be had for a couple hundred dollars each fairly recently. It doesn’t seem like the spike is limited to the Alifabolaget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
First of all, the only Pele card that has exploded is the Alifabolaget. The others have gone up a bit, but nothing worth mentioning as of yet. Nobody truly knows why this has happened, but according to my discussions with another collector, there is some well-known guy in the hobby who seems to have fallen in love with this particular card. Every time this card would go up for sale, he would bid away! I couldn't tell you who the others are that bid up against him, but let me say that this whole thing has been really suspicious to me. This individual has been bidding like crazy on basketball cards as well, but again, the question is did money actually exchange hands here? Remember, there are fake sales that take place all the time in order to create fake comps, and you must always keep that in mind whenever you see a ridiculous price on eBay.