NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-08-2022, 07:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default A Derby for the ages

Not sure there has ever been anything quite like this comeback. From above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCk0P92uoXc

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:11 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Unbelievable, picked up on a $30,000 claims race last September, entered the Derby as an alternate and the longest shot. Incredible story.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-09-2022, 06:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Rich Strike
(Based on a $2 bet)

Win: $163.60

Place: $74.20

Show: $29.40

A $2 exacta with second-place finisher Epicenter paid $4,101.20. A $1 trifecta paid $14,870.70, and the $1 superfecta paid a cool $321,500.10.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:45 AM
Bob Andrews

I've been around tracks since my father started dragging me to Aqueduct as a kid in the early 60s. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect ride than they got from Sonny Leon on Saturday. Yes, it helped that the leaders were burning each other out but Leon had his horse placed perfectly to take advantage. Every move he made was perfect.

I really love that owner and trainer stuck with their small track jockey when they had to have fielded tons of jockeys' agents calls on Friday once they made the race. That whole team has really been through a lot of adversity and for this to come their way is just a great story.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I've been around tracks since my father started dragging me to Aqueduct as a kid in the early 60s. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect ride than they got from Sonny Leon on Saturday. Yes, it helped that the leaders were burning each other out but Leon had his horse placed perfectly to take advantage. Every move he made was perfect.

I really love that owner and trainer stuck with their small track jockey when they had to have fielded tons of jockeys' agents calls on Friday once they made the race. That whole team has really been through a lot of adversity and for this to come their way is just a great story.
https://youtu.be/k-NjF89a_go
Old 05-09-2022, 08:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The truly insane thing on the exotics is that the 2, 3, and 4 horses were the logical choices. Could you imagine what the pay offs would have been had a 30 or 40-1 hit the board to place or show. Yowza.

I tried to handicap the race and quickly figured out there was no horse in that field to fall in love with. Picked two longshots but not the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Rich Strike
(Based on a $2 bet)

Win: $163.60

Place: $74.20

Show: $29.40

A $2 exacta with second-place finisher Epicenter paid $4,101.20. A $1 trifecta paid $14,870.70, and the $1 superfecta paid a cool $321,500.10.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:52 AM
Bob Andrews

I liked Crown Pride and Zandon going in. That early pace took out the Japanese horse though. A bunch of others, too. Beautiful animal for sure.

I’ve watched the replay over and over intending each time to see what happened to this horse or that horse but I’m mesmerized by Rich Strike’s amazing ride every time. 😁
Old 05-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Al Wright

Been a trackie for 45+ years. The game will keep you humble. How many players who loved the Asmussen or Brown horse flushed their tickets for not buying a bottom wheel? Most all I would imagine. Sometimes, although pricey, the "all" button is the horseplayers best friend.

How would you like to be Mattress Mac who wagered $1.5 million on Epicenter and had to watch the bomb fly up the rail. The suicidal front end burned out the front runners.

One thing did concern me. The handling of the winner by the outrider on the backstretch struck me as outrageous. Yeah, the winner was full of himself but the jock is perfectly capable of jogging the horse back to the front of the track. Not much was said about it, and I was surprised the camera stayed on it so long.

Heck of a story. Anyone want to hazard a guess on what price he'll be in Baltimore? Don't want to be a grinch, but I will bet against fairly aggressively.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:47 AM
Dave

Damn. Incredible!

What a gear that horse and jockey found at the end. Especially considering they were held back and navigating traffic for much of the race.

That's a movie, right there.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post

One thing did concern me. The handling of the winner by the outrider on the backstretch struck me as outrageous. Yeah, the winner was full of himself but the jock is perfectly capable of jogging the horse back to the front of the track. Not much was said about it, and I was surprised the camera stayed on it so long.

I'm not a Horse Racing expert by any means, but if you're talking about the part after the race that I think you are...it actually made me smile a little bit.

I was thinking..."Man, that's a salty horse, and he don't want to be touched by that dude. Good for him." LOL!

Fits the narrative in my head of the wild uncultured horse beating the field of bluebloods and nobles. Whether that's actually true or not, I don't think I want to know.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:09 AM
St@n Go.len

Usually don't see that hot a pace in a big race like that.

Sometimes a longshot wins because the field was overrated but this was purely due to pace.

Epicenter really fought well and will be the favorite in the Preakness if he goes and will probably be a decent value as favorites go.

Rich Strike will be 3-1 or higher assuming 10+ horse field and who else goes.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2022, 12:08 PM
Bob Andrews

If you have access to The Athletic the sub-lede on this page is an interview with the woman who was NBC's lead producer of the Derby coverage. Great insight into what was going on behind the cameras and mikes for that race.

https://theathletic.com/3298367/2022...entucky-derby/
Old 05-09-2022, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
If you have access to The Athletic the sub-lede on this page is an interview with the woman who was NBC's lead producer of the Derby coverage. Great insight into what was going on behind the cameras and mikes for that race.

https://theathletic.com/3298367/2022...entucky-derby/
I can understand the announcer focusing on the front of the race, but man, once Rich Strike blew by Messier like he was standing still it should have been obvious something was going on. Even in the final seconds as he was running down the two leaders the guy didn't seem to know he was there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

At one point the guy on the pony basically punched the horse in the face to get him away from the pony. That was a really unfortunate moment, much less one to be caught on live television.

And a horse that worked up will leave some people with the belief (mistaken) that the horse was drugged and that's why he was acting so crazy.

It's not really that unusual for a horse to try to savage another horse. Even in mid-race. But when the winning horse kept going at the pony I have no idea why the jackass on the pony didn't just back off and leave the horse by himself. He just made a situation worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I'm not a Horse Racing expert by any means, but if you're talking about the part after the race that I think you are...it actually made me smile a little bit.

I was thinking..."Man, that's a salty horse, and he don't want to be touched by that dude. Good for him." LOL!

Fits the narrative in my head of the wild uncultured horse beating the field of bluebloods and nobles. Whether that's actually true or not, I don't think I want to know.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:28 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
At one point the guy on the pony basically punched the horse in the face to get him away from the pony. That was a really unfortunate moment, much less one to be caught on live television.

And a horse that worked up will leave some people with the belief (mistaken) that the horse was drugged and that's why he was acting so crazy.

It's not really that unusual for a horse to try to savage another horse. Even in mid-race. But when the winning horse kept going at the pony I have no idea why the jackass on the pony didn't just back off and leave the horse by himself. He just made a situation worse.

Gotcha. Didn't watch it close enough to see the punch when I first watched it. Just saw a winning horse that still had a bit of wildness left in him after running a helluva race.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For us horseracing beginners, that aerial coverage offered an incredible insight into the reality of a race. You always figured the fastest horse wins a race (an obvious simplification, so don't throw shade), but seeing the countless maneuvers made by the winner(s) trying to find gaps to exploit was a stunning realization of the high speed strategy involved. What a fantastically electrifying clip that was!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I don't have any use for the horse racing industry, but I do own horses and handle them every day. I watched the video and I saw nothing cruel or potentially injurious. Certainly, it looks bad, particularly to folks who don't routinely deal with horses. But, I didn't see anything that I would consider abuse

Here is the thing. A horse weights 1200 pounds or more. They can injure a person in a blink of an eye, even when they are just being inattentive. So, you train horses to pay attention to you and take their cues from you. You are the head of the herd and they need to respect that authority.

Add in that we are talking about a stallion (who are recalcitrant just on general principle) that is pumped full of adrenaline after running a race, and I can assure you no good would come from releasing the horse and letting him "work it out on his own." I am reminded of something I heard the natural horsemanship trainer John Lyons say:
"The horse never ever has the right to kick or bite you. Biting is more dangerous than kicking because it is a more aggressive act on the horse’s part. You can’t ever justify that action in your mind.

I don’t want to be bitten. If the horse tries to bite me, I will try to kill him. His act is that dangerous and my rule is that simple. I have three seconds in which to kill this thousand-pound beast. The only limitation I’ll put on the murder is that his head will be off limits. Remember, I don’t want to blind him, I want to kill him. Immediately after I’ve exhausted the three seconds, I’ll pet him to reassure him that I still like him, but he knows that he made a serious mistake that almost cost him his life."

Added in edit: To state the obvious, you can't actually kill a horse with your bare hands. You are also extremely unlikely to injure it. But, they don't know that.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 05-09-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:06 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I don't watch horse racing much, but the the drone-view video of this was amazing!

This is the third memory I'll keep about Horse Racing.

The other two?

Secretariat's Belmont

and, tragically...

Ruffian breaking down.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-09-2022, 09:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

The Belmont was sublime, but to me Big Red's defining race was the Derby, coming from well back to run down Sham down the stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MycODLdqcg

BTW while Sham's time was unofficial, it remains the second fastest time in Derby history.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-09-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:06 AM
Dave Foster

Most of the posts here are all "woo-woo" about the outcome. Granted, exciting to watch, but . . . I'll take the contrarian view: I have to wonder if the fix was in. Given the 80-1 odds, how does such an animal even come in 1-2-3, let alone win such a prestigious race? Perhaps a little monkey biz - or horsey biz - behind the scenes prior to the race? I think the outcome vs odds struck a huge blow for the legitimacy of racing and odds makers. After the Baffert mess last Derby, horse racing is on thin ice. This doesn't help.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Most of the posts here are all "woo-woo" about the outcome. Granted, exciting to watch, but . . . I'll take the contrarian view: I have to wonder if the fix was in. Given the 80-1 odds, how does such an animal even come in 1-2-3, let alone win such a prestigious race? Perhaps a little monkey biz - or horsey biz - behind the scenes prior to the race? I think the outcome vs odds struck a huge blow for the legitimacy of racing and odds makers. After the Baffert mess last Derby, horse racing is on thin ice. This doesn't help.

I think as long as the horse tests clean, it's fine.

Hard to fix a race like that any other way.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I think as long as the horse tests clean, it's fine.

Hard to fix a race like that any other way.
Agreed. What possible incentive would other horse owners have to throw a race or participate in some kind of fix. The expense in getting a horse into such a race is prohibitively expensive.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

The horse wasn't even entered into the field until a few days before the race, right? So starting at that point someone managed to fix the Kentucky Derby before they sang My Old Kentucky Home? How? Did they (you need a they, right?) pay off every other jockey to take a dive, and they all just nicely agreed? And Sonny Leon's amazing navigation through the field at the end was what, pre-orchestrated?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-10-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The horse wasn't even entered into the field until a few days before the race, right? So starting at that point someone managed to fix the Kentucky Derby before they sang My Old Kentucky Home? How? Did they (you need a they, right?) pay off every other jockey to take a dive, and they all just nicely agreed? And Sonny Leon's amazing navigation through the field at the end was what, pre-orchestrated?

To be fair, I think he was alluding to more of a PEDS situation, then a straight up fix.

I hope to hell, that shoe doesn't drop in the near future.

Hell, 80-1 was probably optimistic odds, considering the situation. Only reason it was likely that low, was because there's always going to be some action on the longest shots in a race like that, from bettors looking to hit Lotto.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Maybe what we saw was all CGI. You know some of those hats could not have been real
Old 05-10-2022, 04:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
To be fair, I think he was alluding to more of a PEDS situation, then a straight up fix.

I hope to hell, that shoe doesn't drop in the near future.

Hell, 80-1 was probably optimistic odds, considering the situation. Only reason it was likely that low, was because there's always going to be some action on the longest shots in a race like that, from bettors looking to hit Lotto.
He used the phrase "the fix was in." I took that to mean the race was fixed not the horse was doped. If I misinterpreted my mistake.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-10-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Dave

Quote:
He used the phrase "the fix was in." I took that to mean the race was fixed not the horse was doped. If I misinterpreted my mistake.
I'm just guessing based on his Baffert reference in his post.