NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Default Best way to build the monster?

Posted By: Jason L

1989 UD and 87 Topps ARE "shiny new stuff" !?!?!?

Why not just sell anything you have that is post-1985, then buy a couple of T206 commons with the cash to get yourself started?
That's what I did!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Joe,
Don't flatter yourself. Trust me, I don't follow you around, big guy!
Always so surly. Try lightening up for once.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Are you saying that what I was saying to T206Collector was surly???

Good golly miss Molly.

They're sure makin some young'uns, super ultra sensitive........

Is that why they call you Wimpy?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

This thread no longer makes sense because Leon edited the offensive language that is at issue.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

That just brought back a flood of bad memories. I have more Score and Sportflics and Kraft mac and Cheese boxes and Topps mini's and 7-11 discs than I can count. God I was stupid. The only good decisions I made as a young collector was asking for T206 cards for Christmas.

(I like the 7-11 discs, actually. The Slurpees were excellent, too. I like me a cola Slurpee!)

--Chad

Oh yeah, collecting T206's? When I was trying to work on the set, I would track ebay auctions and then bid $25 on low grade cards I thought still looked ok. If I won, great, and if I didn't, that was fine, too. When I decided to become obsessive about Negro Leaguers, I sold them all as a lot and did ok with the return. I've noticed that large lots of T206's don't go cheap. There's a lot of people out there that either don't want to go to the trouble of buying one card at a time and so will pay a premium for a lot, or they think there may be one or two high grade cards in an ungraded lot and will pay for the chance to get them graded. Anyway, it's also helpful to have books and resource material about the 1908-1912 baseball seasons handy, too, as learning about the players and stories of those years help keep you fired up about some of the commons, many of which you'll discover aren't so common!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

The fun, and learning from the research.
There you go.

Joe

Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Chad is correct about the research. Learning who those guys were, that certainly helps maintain collecting interest, especially when the cards you're after aren't out there to be found. Gotta love the books.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Atta boy!

Joe

Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Which would you say are some of the top Not-so-common commons?

that might be an interesting discussion, as I have never seen this Board really try to classify the semi-stars within the T206 set!

The categories seem to just be:
commons, HOFers, minor leaguers (SLers) and horizontals

Top semi-stars might include:
Hal Chase
Ed Reulbach
etc...???

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

Chief Meyer and Dummy Taylor are interesting for obvious reasons. Guys like Tommy Leach and George Mullin were very good players. Germany Schaeffer once stole second base and then stole FIRST base on the next pitch and the stole second again on the next pitch, prompting a rule change. Jim Delahanty was a good ballplayer and brother to Ed Delahanty. Gavvy Cravath was one of the great pre-Babe Ruth sluggers. Hans Lobert was famous for his speed. Ed Konetchy is one of the great forgotten players. Heinie Zimmerman is famous for throwing games with Hal Chase. Harry Steinfeldt, ironically enough, is famous for not being famous. And so on. I'm sure the Board can take over from here...

--Chad

Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

It's all in the diggin, and not the brain pickin...........

Joe

Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Bill Dahlen compiled 2,457 lifetime hits.

Arlie Latham is eighth all-time in stolen bases with 739.

Orval Overall was a football all-american at Cal and the only pitcher to strike out four batters in one inning in the World Series. Also has the eighth best lifetime ERA.

Deacon Phillippe was a six-time 20-game winner and won three games in the inaugural World Series.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Administrator

A vintage cardboard forum...............

Hurry up, and get it out of your system before Leon gets back from the national.

Joe

Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

I am currently doing exactly what a few on here talked about earlier....selling my new shiny stuff and buying T206's with the money. I've only added 4 so far, but that's just because one of them was a Cobb Red Portrait. I wanted to get one of the big guns out of the way and then start going after the others. I currently have 14 cards from the set, and will continue to buy more as my budget allows. I should be up to 20 by the end of the year. It'll be a long journey, but I'm only 25 (26 in October). Right now I'm going to focus on Cubs players and a few HOFers here and there. After that, I'll get whatever catches my eye. If I still have interest in the set when I get to 50-60 different cards, which is usually where I lose interest (tried putting together a 65 topps set in psa 7; gave up right around 50 cards), then I'll keep going. I haven't had this much fun with new shiny stuff in a long time.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

You can't plan the T206 set. ... Just slide another card into an empty slot ... and let the Monster happen..................

Old 08-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

I am sticking with Hall of Famers for the time being. Right now I am working on Tinker, Evers, Chance and Brown.

I actually just read a biography called "Three Finger" and it bumped all the old cubs up on my priority list. Plus Evers is one of my favorite all time players.