NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: twofoolish2b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829202971

Hello, anyone seen the Magie up on ebay yet? Pretty sweet if I do say so my self. Question is how rare is it compared to the other 3 rare cards in the set, Wagner, Doyle, Plank? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: jay behrens

in terms of those 3, the Magie error is pretty common. It seems that almost every new attic find is turning up at least one Magie in the group. I have one friend that traded his Magie error for another card because he knew he would ahve an easier time finding a comparable replacement for the Magie than he ever would of seeing the card he traded for.

Jay

Old 05-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: Marc S.

By my memory -- I would say that about a dozen and a half Magie errors have circulated through the hobby via public auctions, etc. over the last 2 - 3 years. They are rare, for sure, but they are the most common of the big 4.

Recent finds, I think, include the album that sold in Mastro that had two Magie errors glued to it, as well as the SCD-graded 4? attic find that occurred earlier this year and should hit Ebay in a short while...

Old 05-16-2002, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: brian

I agree, I've seen 30-40 Magie's over the past 2-3 years, but the others only turn up every once in a while. A new Wagner seems to show up every couple of years, but I almost never see or hear about a new Eddie Plank. To me he's the rarest of the Big 3.
be well brian

Old 05-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: James/jverri01

I think - and this is my opinion only - that many people confuse rarity and scarcity. For example, many people say that T206s are rare. I do not find this to be true. They are everywhere. What is "rare" is to find them in "upper" condition. Scarcity is a tricky one. Wagner, Plank, Doyle - all scarce, regardless of condition. Magie, though - I am feeling different about. Just the last Mastro auction alone had 3 Magie error cards (one graded, two pasted on scrapbook pages). I guess I am inclined to think that the Magie card really is not all that rare - because, clearly - it is not as scarce as was once suspected. What is rare - and scarce, as well - is to acquire the card as a 5 or better. I think this holds true pretty much across the board. Look at E90-1's. Now, I'm not a big E card collector, as we all know - but, look at the flood of them on Ebay recently. A year ago, everyone was walking around saying, "gee, E90-1 cards are TOUGH". Now - you can't turn go a day without seeing one listed, either online, or at a live auction. However - how many have you seen as a 6? 7? Better? I do collect E103's. I love these cards. Phenomenal pieces of art, as well as important aspects of baseball history. As "tough" as these cards are - you can find them in lower-end condition. SO, I guess my point is this: people abuse the term "rare". This leads many newbies to thinking that the card - in any condition - is rare. What I think is often intended - just misinterpreted - is that the card is rare if higher-end. However, even seasoned collectors misuse the term rare, when they should be saying "scarce". I do not see the Magie error card as being all that scarce. Rare - yes, if in better condition. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: Marc S.

I do not think we will ever see an auction again with three Magie errors in it...

The Magie error is rare -- in any condition. Yes, it has been omnipresent in auctions in the last few years -- but the prices (demand) is holding pretty steady, and I imagine that we will not continue to see such a large volume of this card. I think it is generally agreed that it is the "easiest" of the Big 4 cards from the T-206 set.

Your scarcity/rarity argument makes sense in certain contexts. #1 and Last cards in sets, for example, are rare only in top condition. The 1933 Goudey Bengough and 1952 Topps Pafko are both very easy to find -- but exceptionally rare to find in better than EX/MT condition.

Magie is exceptionally tough to find in top grade -- but pretty rare in general. There are less than 40 examples of this card graded by major grading companies. For a $1,000+ card in even PSA 1, that is rare. Compare to either Magee's regular cards or to a T-206 Ty Cobb.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: jeff

(that's "Oxford English Dictionary," for those who don't know)

rare, def. 3: Of a kind seldom found, done, or occuring, uncommon, infrequent; unusual, exceptional, few and far between. (derives from Middle English, if you care <g>)

scarce, def 1: Restricted in quantity, size, or amount; scanty.

Okay...seems to me that they are synonyms. If high-grade E103s are rare, they are scarce. If any E223s at all are scarce, they are also rare.

If a steak is rare, however, it is not scarce.

Of course, people use the words way too often. T206s, in general (even in high grade) are not scarce/rare/scanty/unusual/exceptional, but Magies are. (But not as much as Planks!)

Jeff

Old 05-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: HalleyGator

would the Plank cards be "rarer" or "more rare"?? "Scarcer" or "more scarce"??

Old 05-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: David

Rare is an absolute term, while scarce is a relative term-- in particular scarcity is a matter of supply versus demand. For example a card where 25,000 were made can be scarce if demand is high enough, but few would call it rare. On the other hand there can be two Joe Garagiola cards made, but if no one is interested in them,they can be considered rare but not scarce.

The Magie is definitely very scarce-- both in relation to most of the other cards in the set and as far as demand goes. Whether or not it is rare, is a matter of personal opinion-- in particular what number or fewer consititues rare (100? 25? etc).

Old 05-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: David

In practical usage, the term scarce is usually used to describe a card that is not rare, but is tough to find in comparison to comparable cards. For example, the high series 1970 Topps cards aren't rare, but are definitely scarce compared to the other series. Scarce and 'tough' (meaning 'tough to find one when you want one') basically means the same thing.