NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Derek

Default Real or Bogus 1933 Goudey Ruth #149

Came across this post on ebay. Started asking the seller questions because if he really was confident in the authenticity I think he would have stated so in the listing and/or had it graded or set a higher price. In back and forth messages, he tells me that he believes it's authentic but he doesn't want to to spend the money to get it authenticated. I asked if he was willing to stand behind it if I were to send it out and it comes back fake. he doesn't want to wait that long. he prefers a quick sale and be done with it. Can anyone share any tips or tricks on how to determine if it's authentic from a picture? Or do I need to have it in hand so I can put it under magnfication? Below should be the link to the listing. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203108464888?ul_noapp=true
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Scott Russell

Fake
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

ummm, yeah, not even close. Better question might be what isn't wrong with it. Wrong stock, wrong color, bad focus and that's just a start. It really screams fake. This might sound harsh and I don't intend to be mean about it, but if you or anyone else is really seriously interested in a card like this, I would really recommend getting to know what to look for so you can spot obvious fakes like this without a second thought or, alternatively, just get a copy already graded.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
ummm, yeah, not even close. Better question might be what isn't wrong with it. Wrong stock, wrong color, bad focus and that's just a start. It really screams fake. This might sound harsh and I don't intend to be mean about it, but if you or anyone else is really seriously interested in a card like this, I would really recommend getting to know what to look for so you can spot obvious fakes like this without a second thought or, alternatively, just get a copy already graded.
I appreciate the candid reply. i was comparing it to the graded listing on this site. https://syckscards.weebly.com/. the coloring looks a bit different but I have found variations in other genuine cards that I bought due to fading, etc. so I wasn't sure if that could be a factor her. If there are other tell-tale signs that you can share on what to look for, I would love to know. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

The edge aging is too precise, like his pet mouse chewed on it. He has 27 feedback at E-bay, clearly he deals in basketball items, anybody who wouldn't grade a Ruth card to maximize value is out of their mind. I'm sure his grandfather remembers the day he pulled it from the pack...

Etc.

Last edited by Casey2296; 09-21-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

His statements also screams fake. If it was real, he would've graded it by now. He knows it's fake.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Frank Wakefield

What they said... the card is a reprint. If illuminated with uv light, it will brightly blaze purple.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:03 PM
A.J. Johnson

fake. have never seen edges like that
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 09-21-2020, 05:22 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsstuff629 View Post
I appreciate the candid reply. i was comparing it to the graded listing on this site. https://syckscards.weebly.com/. the coloring looks a bit different but I have found variations in other genuine cards that I bought due to fading, etc. so I wasn't sure if that could be a factor her. If there are other tell-tale signs that you can share on what to look for, I would love to know. Thanks in advance!
Here's is one comparison to check that makes it pretty obvious. One is the fake you posted, the other is an original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goudey copy comparison.jpg (25.6 KB, 284 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A simplle question to ask is: Why is he selling it for just $800? The way he talks about the card, there is doubt he knows the value for a real one.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Derek

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I had the same feelings as what most of you are calling out. I asked him why he would ever consider selling this card for $800 when he can get it graded and get $2k+. He said he just needed to get cash quick and had no desire to wait 2 months to get it back from grading. I also offered to pay for the grading ahead of time just to see if he would bite and he turned that down as well. I've been buying for 20+ years so my gut told me not to do this transaction but I would love to eventually learn the tricks of looking at a card itself in order to determine if it's real or fake. I did find some good resources out there for how to spot a fake Ruth #144 but couldn't find any on this particular card. The one thing I find interesting is the fact that many of these old Ruth cards still sell for several hundred dollars even though the listing clearly states they are being sold as "unknown", with no guarantee to their authenticity. I personally don't understand why someone would want to pay that much for a fake. i get not everyone can afford the real deal but it just doesn't seem like a good investment to spend that much on a reproduction, no matter how good it looks.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Howard Chasser

Default It's like counterfeit money

When you handle enough of the real stuff - the fakes jump out at you. Lots of great advice already given. When they start up again - get out to shows and handle more of the cards you intend to buy (If you can't/won't do that, buy graded only or risk learning a VERY expensive lesson- Ones like the Ebay listing you linked will start to look as fake to you as it does to others in this thread.
That you made it to the point of conversation (what's there to talk about regarding an obvious fake) with the owner makes me scared for you. All said in the interest of helping.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Derek

Appreciate your candid feedback. I may seem a little naive but in reality my gut usually steers me right. In 20+ years I have been fortunate in that I have only ended up with 2 or 3 reprints in all. Not bad given how many I've purchased over the years. Thanks again, I do appreciate the advice and I can't wait for shows to start back up.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default fake Goudey

Nobody ever talks about this, but around 1976, Charles Brooks reprinted 1933 Goudey's.
This was 45 years ago and the quality of printing has evolved considerably, but at the time, a number of veteran collectors weren't too happy about this.
As I remember, there was a slug of type on the reverse that said "reprint," but how tough would it have been to remove the word.
This was, to my knowledge, the first time anybody had reprinted classic cards and if they looked passable enough in 1975 imagine what half a century of aging could do to them.
lumberjack
Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
Nobody ever talks about this, but around 1976, Charles Brooks reprinted 1933 Goudey's.
This was 45 years ago and the quality of printing has evolved considerably, but at the time, a number of veteran collectors weren't too happy about this.
As I remember, there was a slug of type on the reverse that said "reprint," but how tough would it have been to remove the word.
This was, to my knowledge, the first time anybody had reprinted classic cards and if they looked passable enough in 1975 imagine what half a century of aging could do to them.
lumberjack
Twenty years ago I bought one of those reprinted Ruths for $400 from a guy who said it was the real thing. Five years ago I finally got around to submitting it for grading. Oops. It cost me $2200 to replace the fake with a legitimate copy in a similar condition. Given today's prices it all worked out ok, but the moral of the story is don't buy an ungraded '33 Ruth.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:56 PM
+0m J()rd@N

And besides looking at the card, look at who is selling it. Would you buy this card out of a guy's trunk in the parking lot of Wal-mart? Well, that's what his eBay store is; just look at what he's trying to sell. 1989 raw Griffey Jr.s for $200 OBO and a bunch of NBA jerseys.

If I had any doubt about the card, one look at his store would be all the convincing I would need that this is fake and he knows it.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:56 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
And besides looking at the card, look at who is selling it. Would you buy this card out of a guy's trunk in the parking lot of Wal-mart? Well, that's what his eBay store is; just look at what he's trying to sell. 1989 raw Griffey Jr.s for $200 OBO and a bunch of NBA jerseys.

If I had any doubt about the card, one look at his store would be all the convincing I would need that this is fake and he knows it.
While I understand what you are trying to say, deals for legitimate cards have been been made in some very unusual places, including parking lots. Just ask Leon.