NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default New Grading Company - CSG

I just received some news I am not going to make public yet but will say I cannot be more pleased with how the new grading company, by CSG, is going. I think there will be great things in the future from them.Most likely I will have my collection cracked out of their crappy, current TPG cases and into the new company ones. At least I will respect the grading which I don't do currently with at least 2 of the 3 top ones. A grading company that knows how to authenticate and not just be a lemming. And they will use science AND common sense. What a concept. My first cracks could be...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe901youngpsa2a.jpg (77.4 KB, 2299 views)
File Type: jpg young2.jpg (74.6 KB, 2299 views)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

If you are endorsing them Leon and putting those cards on the line that is Huge. Will be interesting to see this play out and I hope they are successful!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
If you are endorsing them Leon and putting those cards on the line that is Huge. Will be interesting to see this play out and I hope they are successful!
Eventually I hope to have my whole collection in their holders. I am tired of seeing known mistakes (especially strip cards) be incorrectly labeled on purpose.

These are such stupid flips they make me angry every time I look at them. For the record, Ray Charles could see these aren't hand cut. NO W575s that aren't trimmed are hand cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w575.jpg (76.2 KB, 2283 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I just received some news I am not going to make public yet but will say I cannot be more pleased with how the new grading company, by CSG, is going. I think there will be great things in the future from them.Most likely I will have my collection cracked out of their crappy, current TPG cases and into the new company ones. At least I will respect the grading which I don't do currently with at least 2 of the 3 top ones. A grading company that knows how to authenticate and not just be a lemming. And they will use science AND common sense. What a concept. My first cracks could be...

So Leon...will you be paying for this service? Or will it be on the house?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So Leon...will you be paying for this service? Or will it be on the house?
First off that question is quite condescending but I will answer it anyway. I have always paid all fees for all of my grading at any company (as far as I can remember). I don't expect anything free BUT I guess if they offered a discount I would consider it. My guess is that other known collections have gotten discounts on large crack outs before, no?
I have never been given a favor of anything pertaining to grading nor would I want or accept one.

And Actually this incorrectly labeled group of cards will be the first crossed over if I decide to go that route. They are wrongly labeled so why not? ( And the pack they came in. )

and btw Pete, what say ye about this? I guess this is part of their new rules about grading....sort of CYA...

"3. Customer acknowledges and agrees that SGC’s owners and employees shall be permitted to submit items for grading and/or authentication without limitation. Furthermore, SGC’s owners and employees may buy, sell, and trade SGC authenticated or graded items without limitation."
Ref: https://gosgc.com/terms"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg w5752.jpg (77.5 KB, 2250 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-08-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:25 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
First off that question is quite condescending but I will answer it anyway. I have always paid all fees for all of my grading at any company (as far as I can remember). I don't expect anything free BUT I guess if they offered a discount I would consider it. My guess is that other known collections have gotten discounts on large crack outs before, no?
I have never been given a favor of anything pertaining to grading nor would I want or accept one.

And Actually this incorrectly labeled group of cards will be the first crossed over if I decide to go that route. They are wrongly labeled so why not? ( And the pack they came in. )

and btw Pete, what say ye about this? I guess this is part of their new rules about grading....sort of CYA...

"3. Customer acknowledges and agrees that SGC’s owners and employees shall be permitted to submit items for grading and/or authentication without limitation. Furthermore, SGC’s owners and employees may buy, sell, and trade SGC authenticated or graded items without limitation."
Ref: https://gosgc.com/terms"

Condescending? certainly wasn't intended to be? As the owner of one of the most prolific prewar sites on the WWW it certainly would benefit a new company to have an endorsement from you? Why not throw you a bone? This may be considered a very smart business move on their part?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Condescending? certainly wasn't intended to be? As the owner of one of the most prolific prewar sites on the WWW it certainly would benefit a new company to have an endorsement from you? Why not throw you a bone? This may be considered a very smart business move on their part?
My apology if my response was too harsh. But yes, I guess it would be good PR for them......I am not 100% my whole collection (kind of small collection but still...) will be crossed as of yet, but I will definitely submit the group of 20 erroneously labeled cards (some shown) as long as their fee and wait times are in line... AND the new company will have to grade them correctly or I won't do it, why would I?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:47 AM
J0hn Collin$

So what will set the new company apart - more accuracy in authentication? Better turn times? Can reliably tell the difference between 70/30 centering and 90/10 centering?

Not to be skeptical but just legit curious as to what a new player with scale will do to fix some of the TPG ills we've long complained about on sites like these. Holders that do not allow cards to slosh around inside?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
So what will set the new company apart - more accuracy in authentication? Better turn times? Can reliably tell the difference between 70/30 centering and 90/10 centering?

Not to be skeptical but just legit curious as to what a new player with scale will do to fix some of the TPG ills we've long complained about on sites like these. Holders that do not allow cards to slosh around inside?
Hi John

I think all of these things will be addressed and more. I don't know any specifics whatsoever except for a new hire of theirs. I am sure we will see more in the near future. They are a smart and well funded company. They have a great name in the hobbies they are currently in and I expect the same in ours.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:54 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Hi John

I think all of these things will be addressed and more. I don't know any specifics whatsoever except for a new hire of theirs. I am sure we will see more in the near future. They are a smart and well funded company. They have a great name in the hobbies they are currently in and I expect the same in ours.

Ah, that was my next question. Congrats! Sorry if I missed that earlier.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Ah, that was my next question. Congrats! Sorry if I missed that earlier.
No, it looks like I hadn't mentioned it. But their team of graders looks to be starting out with a bang. And isn't that the meat of a TPG's company?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM
Anson

Just out of curiosity, the E90-1 Young in the PSA holder looks GREAT for a 7. I can see why you want to crack and submit with the new group. But why would you crack the SGC 5? Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing card........but the grade is probably on the generous side of accurate.

I totally understand if the point is putting up some of your favorite cards, regardless of their previous grades.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:09 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
No, it looks like I hadn't mentioned it. But their team of graders looks to be starting out with a bang. And isn't that the meat of a TPG's company?
So what's your new title?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:10 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Leon who are the new graders?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Just out of curiosity, the E90-1 Young in the PSA holder looks GREAT for a 7. I can see why you want to crack and submit with the new group. But why would you crack the SGC 5? Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing card........but the grade is probably on the generous side of accurate.

I totally understand if the point is putting up some of your favorite cards, regardless of their previous grades.
Depending on how the new company looks and performs I will consider my whole collection. I guess the 7 Young is to make that point. As for the SGC 5 I could care less what the number grade is. I know what the card is and love it. It could be a 4 and it would be fine. I tend to pay more for cards I find aesthetically appealing irrespective of their technical grades. I just don't have a ton of respect for the current TPGs with all that has been seen and is going on.

Last edited by Leon; 09-08-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Not a big fan of the labels, I must say. A label IMO should be as subtle as possible. Those.. are not.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ading-division

This was in the news about 2 months ago. It is a division of CCG, which is the big rival to CU.

I hope they do a good job, with good holders and smart people working there. Maybe even people who review research materials and have the stones to grade oh, I dunno, football and boxing Exhibit cards, maybe even Fro-Joy cards. Or, echoing Leon's post, can tell the difference between a hand cut strip card and a factory cut insert card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-08-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Their label is pretty aggressive. Not sure it won.t take away from the card.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I like it a lot...I can read it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Bry@n

I believe that somewhere they said the label would be updated before launch.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:53 PM

No opinion on any one company but the only reason I have my cards graded is to maximize sale price. Any new company will need to prove the purchasing power of their product. This is a good time to do it though. Sales are up.

Last edited by packs; 09-08-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Anson

Is it me, or does the logo look like a copy of SGC?
Old 09-08-2020, 05:37 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:

Nice cards, Leon. Be careful. The grass is not always greener. It is possible that CSG could find evidence that those cards were altered, and slap them with an A tag. You could be slitting your own throat...
Old 09-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Nice cards, Leon. Be careful. The grass is not always greener. It is possible that CSG could find evidence that those cards were altered, and slap them with an A tag. You could be slitting your own throat...
I am confident they are fine.

And for everyone posting in this thread, remember the rule at the top of every page please, concerning names. thanks

Old 09-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Jeff

You mean you wouldn't want to know if you had altered cards in numbered holders?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-08-2020, 06:58 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I'm pretty sure Leon would be able to identify if his cards are altered better than any grader lol
Old 09-08-2020, 07:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Leon would be able to identify if his cards are altered better than any grader lol
Thanks, I am ok but nowhere near the best graders. Not in the same ballpark.
I know a little about a lot of type cards .

**And to answer a few other questions.

I don't want to be the one to say who the new hire is but I am supportive. It will be out soon I am sure.

I have no intention of going to work there. They seem like a good company from what I read.

And yes, I always want to know if my cards are altered.

Was that all?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:48 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
I like Leon but this made me laugh out loud.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

I actually like the flip design, but the pics of the slabs I have seen do not appear to have recessed corners. Assume this is something that will be corrected before go-live?
Old 09-09-2020, 06:06 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

There is a massive moat built by the current TPG, whether we like to admit that or not. It will take a lot of patience for a new entrant to work. Hopefully they have the pockets to build the business.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Jimmy Knowle$

Well, lets see what they bring to the table.
I am a SGC person myself.
However, I am certainly open to a new company.
Obviously, they will have something new and different to offer.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:21 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
There is a massive moat built by the current TPG, whether we like to admit that or not. It will take a lot of patience for a new entrant to work. Hopefully they have the pockets to build the business.
I am sure they will be fine. They are a part of the CGC company which is huge in other hobbies. With a built in reputation their growth would be faster than a start-up from scratch.

CGC grades comics,
but has the following:
NGC - Coins
PMG - Paper money
ASG - Stamps

The only issue that I can think of is that they also have CCS which is a comic book restoration company. Some may believe that if they are willing to clean up comics then grade them they could be willing to do the same for sports cards. I would hope they would know the hobby enough to understand that isn't accepted in this hobby, but it could be hard for others to trust a company that does it in another hobby.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Bob Davies

Question for Leon. Their promotional video flagged on the other thread says they are only grading Pokémon and Magic cards, yet you’re sending in your vintage.
Are they currently grading vintage and other cards?
Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Rich Klein

I'm going to say based on this comment by Leon they have hired at least one sports person (if not more)

"I don't want to be the one to say who the new hire is but I am supportive. It will be out soon I am sure."

Regards
Rich
Old 09-09-2020, 10:50 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:

These are such stupid flips they make me angry every time I look at them. For the record, Ray Charles could see these aren't hand cut. NO W575s that aren't trimmed are hand cut.
Why not just remove the cards from the holders?
Old 09-09-2020, 12:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Why not just remove the cards from the holders?
Exactly. No 3rd Party validation is needed. Unless you plan to sell them (still not needed, but for the Sheeple)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Thanks, I am ok but nowhere near the best graders. Not in the same ballpark.
I know a little about a lot of type cards .

**And to answer a few other questions.

I don't want to be the one to say who the new hire is but I am supportive. It will be out soon I am sure.

I have no intention of going to work there. They seem like a good company from what I read.

And yes, I always want to know if my cards are altered.

Was that all?
I assumed you would. My question was directed @ those who offered caution, it infers they would not.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I'm going to say based on this comment by Leon they have hired at least one sports person (if not more)

"I don't want to be the one to say who the new hire is but I am supportive. It will be out soon I am sure."

Regards
Rich
They will need to hire a bunch. It is going to have to be a positive feedback loop - you need capacity to grade, which will put more of their cards out on the market, which is free advertising, which will make them money, for them to hire more folks to grade even more cards.

If you are going to make yourself a player in the market you have to have huge investment into this business. You can’t really start with a few or some marquee graders and expect them to lead the way. That’s why I’m really hesitant about new grading companies, UNLESS they are more technologically advanced (remains to be seen).

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 09-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Those flips are uglier than sin. Just my opinion -Dan Hicks
Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM

Default New grading company....

I will own one someday.....

general grading,

specializing in vintage freaks

I already have cherry picked a team
Old 09-09-2020, 02:44 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Question for Leon. Their promotional video flagged on the other thread says they are only grading Pokémon and Magic cards, yet you’re sending in your vintage.
Are they currently grading vintage and other cards?
That video is for their CGC grading that was doing comics but will now include TCG.

CSG is going to be their spin off that will grade sports cards:
https://www.cgccomics.com/news/artic...-card-experts/

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-09-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Ben W.hitener

Since I like to have my slabs in binders with 4 pocket pages, the slab size alone kills it for me. Why so tall?
Hopefully the design gets more thought. The PSA and SGC proportions and labels are much better imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (71.3 KB, 1754 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM
And.rew Whi.te

And people complained about the new SGC flips.... Not a fan of this one to be sure.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Scott Russell

Their gaming card flips turned out OK, and don't seem to be crazily over-sized.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Although competition generally benefits consumers (e.g. lower prices, better service, etc.), I’m skeptical that any new third-party grader will help solve the hobby’s biggest problem - altered cards receiving numerical grades and over-grading.

The reason is the vintage fee structure. Most TPGs do not have a flat fee. Instead, the fee varies depending on the card’s value. This creates a subconscious financial incentive (and, unfortunately, probably a conscious one for some TPGs) to over-grade. Over-grading increases the card’s price, which, in turn, increases the fee. An increased fee increases the company’s profitability, which, in turn, may increase the grader’s pay. The current vintage fee structure has too many interest conflicts that have created the current problems.

Removing the financial incentive to over-grading is what needs to happen to fix the problem. TPGs should charge a flat fee to grade a 1956 Mantle. The fee should not vary depending on whether the card comes back a Poor 1 or gem 10. So, unless any new grader uses a flat vintage fee, the problem will continue.

A new TPG will make the existing TPGs improve their services and fees, as well as reduce turnaround times. However, any new TPG that uses the same vintage fee is equivalent to putting a bandage on a bullet wound - it will not cure the underlying problem. It may temporarily improve the situation, but eventually even a new TPG’s actual graders will fall victim to the above-referenced dilemma - increasing the company’s bottom line.

I’ll pump the brakes on my excitement until I see the vintage fee schedule for any new TPG. * This post does not mention any specific TPGs, and presents general issues. *
Old 09-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
I will own one someday.....

general grading,

specializing in vintage freaks

I already have cherry picked a team
When you do I would like to get one of your early test slabs to add to my oddball slab collection.

Would also like to get one of the very early slabs from this new company when they start grading baseball cards. One of their test slabs would be amazing.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:51 AM
Gary

Good news. As CSG have offices in London, I'm hoping that they'll offer grading locally.

The hassle with shipping to the US and worrying about customs charges is too much for overseas collectors.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:48 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Those flips are uglier than sin. Just my opinion -Dan Hicks
After seeing that sample, I agree.

Apparently they're not into test marketing. If they get off the ground, all you can do is hope they don't quickly realize the packaging (flips) are not what consumers would like and then change them.

Not sure how a company that is into grading is going to crack the code and survive in this PSA dominated market. They could get a foot hold in pre-war but the $$/volume seems to be in newer cards.

I remember when GAI started out, they seemed good, then all the altered cards started getting slabbed.

Best of luck to a new TPG venture because the hobby needs something it can trust.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
After seeing that sample, I agree.

Apparently they're not into test marketing. If they get off the ground, all you can do is hope they don't quickly realize the packaging (flips) are not what consumers would like and then change them.

Not sure how a company that is into grading is going to crack the code and survive in this PSA dominated market. They could get a foot hold in pre-war but the $$/volume seems to be in newer cards.

I remember when GAI started out, they seemed good, then all the altered cards started getting slabbed.

Best of luck to a new TPG venture because the hobby needs something it can trust.
Regarding the part in bold.... It will be difficult, but is much needed for the integrity of the hobby. All three of the current TPGs are corrupt in their own ways.

If the FBI ever decides to come down on PSA for the thousands of "mistakes" they've made, the window of opportunity could open up a bit more for this new venture. Hopefully that will be the case, although they will still need to tone down that garish flip.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:04 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

This is awesome news! What an original concept.

Member since 2009