NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Default Show me your Roger Connor

Posted By: DMcD

The New York Times had an interesting article last week about Roger Connor. Timely in the light of whats-his-face parking #755 today. I have appended the article to this post because the link will not work unless you're a left-wing pussy subscriber. I have no nineteenth century cards and hence no Roger Connor cards but am thinking I'd like to get hold of one. I'd be interested in seeing what y'all have. Also would be curious to see any Harry Stovey cards.
TIA
DMcDonald (LWP)

Ruth, Aaron and Bonds. But Connor Came First.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 22, 2007
Baseball's original home run king was a big man who hit the major leagues' first grand slam and later added a tape-measure shot so thrilling that fans passed the hat, collected $500 and bought him a gold watch in tribute.
No, it was not Babe Ruth.
The Babe was not born when Roger Connor began slugging away. Connor was the icon of the horse-drawn carriage crowd, a star among the ragtag community of transients and miscreants who played baseball before the turn of the 20th century.
And he hit the then-princely total of 138 home runs -- more than anybody until Ruth came along.
Connor was 6 feet 3 inches and weighed 220 pounds, his profile accented by a handsomely groomed handlebar mustache that he wore proudly in the style of the day. He had speed and power, and he had a demeanor that helped bring respectability to baseball.
He was exactly the kind of standout slugger the game needed to win acceptance in post-Civil War America, which had its doubts about the sport. But nobody doubted Connor, who began his career in 1876 with the Waterbury Monitors of the Eastern League, playing third base even though he was left-handed.
Connor did not switch to first, a more common position for left-handers, until 1881 with Troy. The change was prompted not only by a shoulder injury but also by his 60 errors in 83 games the previous year.
The switch also enabled Connor to concentrate on his hitting, and that would be the hallmark of his career. On Sept. 9, 1881, he became an icon for every slugger in baseball history with the ultimate home run -- a game-winning grand slam with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Troy was trailing Worcester, 7-4, and was down to its last out when Connor came to bat with the bases loaded against John Lee Richmond, who had thrown baseball's first perfect game a year earlier. Connor turned on one of Richmond's pitches and delivered the first slam recorded in baseball history.
Not only were players transients, but so were franchises. A year after the landmark shot, Troy faded away and Connor surfaced with several other teammates on New York's new National League team, the Gothams, who played in the original Polo Grounds.
On Sept. 11, 1886, Connor muscled a home run that sailed clear out of the park.
Charley Radbourn, known as Old Hoss, who threw the pitch, said Connor's shot ''sped upward with the speed of a carrier pigeon.''
The Sporting News reported that several fans from the New York Stock Exchange were so flabbergasted by this show of strength that they passed the hat -- probably a derby or perhaps a bowler -- and when the contributions were totaled, they had enough money to present Connor with a gold watch.
Connor became a wild card in the field, showing up from time to time at second and third base, and sometimes the outfield. That did not work, and when he committed 96 errors in 1884, he was returned to first base, where he led the league in fielding four times.
In his first seven seasons, Connor hit only 22 home runs. In 1887, he began to become a consistent long-ball threat. He hit a career-high 17 home runs that season and then 14, 13 and 14 the next three seasons. Only once, in 1890, did he lead the league in home runs. There was a three-homer game on May 9, 1888, that punctuated Connor's prowess.
''He was the first power hitter of the game,'' said Bernard Crowley, who profiled Connor for the Society for American Baseball Research. ''He was one of the most popular players of his time.''
Connor drove in more than 100 runs four times and scored more than 100 eight times. He also had 2,467 career hits and a .317 lifetime batting average. And he hit 233 triples, a record at the time and since passed by Sam Crawford, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner and Jake Beckley. Connor hit for the cycle in one game and went 6 for 6 in another.
On June 1, 1895, playing for St. Louis against his old team, the Giants, Connor collected eight hits in a doubleheader. Two days later, he hit his 112th home run, passing Harry Stovey for the career record, although no one noticed it at the time. He hit 26 more before he finished his career in 1897.
Home runs and records became more widely documented when Ruth started accumulating them, and on July 18, 1921, the Babe passed Connor with No. 139 in a career that would ultimately produce 714 home runs.
Connor's accomplishments were washed away by the sands of time. He died in 1931 at 73 and was buried in an unmarked grave in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Waterbury, Conn.
Slowly, as historians began studying the game more closely, Connor's achievements were noticed.
In 1976, two years after Hank Aaron eclipsed Ruth's record, baseball's first home run king was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee.
''And now there's a gravestone for him at St. Joseph's,'' Crowley said.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

"left-wing pussy"?

Why you gotta be like that?

This forum should be politically neutral yo.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator

It was a joke, son.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

This forum has never been politically neutral.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Frank

Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I am a fan of jokes that are funny.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

If you don't like the joke, then do not applaud.
But do not heckle the comedian. There are more opinions than yours.
Unless of course, you claim that you are offended.
In which instance, we will shift into our Net54 sensitivity formation.
As soon as we can get Jay B. to head up that parade.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Heckling the comedian is what life is all about.

If what DMcD said is a joke, it's the verbal equivalent of throwing a brick at someone's car and saying "gotcha".

Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Gee, I didn't feel that way. Maybe it is because I do not perceive myself as a "left-wing pussy".

And actually, I do not consider aspects of femmininity, particularly with regard to anotomical components among things which are negative. Anymore that I do those of a male (not trying to be a dick).

Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Guys,

Laugh out loud.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Hey everyone, getting back to the topic at hand...

Does anyone have any more scans of Roger Connor? The couple I have seen are nice. Plus, thanks David for bringing Roger to my attention, very informative and a great topic.

Are there any other stars of the 19th century that have special stories?

RC

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

My point is merely that jokes should be funny. I realize that funny is very subjective, and I am not the final authority. Except in this case. The joke was not funny, or purposeful or anything.

Now take my wife....please. That's a joke you can take home to your mother.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

David identifies himself as "(LWP)" and obviously subscribes to the NYT online. The joke here is on right-wingers who would lable someone who reads the NYT as a "left-wing pussy". Are we all talking about the same thing here? It seems pretty innoccuous to me.
JimB (LWP)

Old 08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

RC - there are lots of special stories relating to 19th century players. Guys like Browning, Barnes, Anson, Ward and others contribute to a history which easily rivals that of the early 20th century (Wagner, Cobb, Young, and others) imo.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hello again. Just got back from church. Episcopalian service in Hawaiian language. Very lovely. What is all this humbug at my Roger Connor thread? Justin, I don't know how long you have been on the board but the fact is that political stuff breaks out here all the time. You've got your Right Wing Nut Jobs and your Left Wing Pussies at N54 VBCF (I am of the latter ilk in case you haven't figured it out yet). We're very polarized just like the rest of the country. Just mention "New York Times" here and some RWNJ will weigh in with a derogatory comment about the damn liberals and Al Gore inventing the Internet. I was just trying to defuse the situation with a little self-deprecating joke. Maybe not a funny ha-ha, Justin is rolling on the floor blowing snot out his ears joke but, dude, it had purpose, namely keeping things light and maybe we can all get along . If you feel so strongly about political references in posts please head on over to the Minneapolis Bridge thread or to the Bush-Bonds-AntiChrist Axis of Evil thread, and have at 'er. Get plenty politics over there. Lay off me; I just want to see some scans of baseball cards. Mahalo.

Thanks to the guys who posted their Roger Connor cards. I like 'em. Wouldn't mind seeing more in case this thread jumps back on the rails. I am going to keep an eye out for any Connors that come up for auction. The man has a good story.

PS. Gil: "Not trying to be a dick." Good one . Vintage ItsOnlyGil.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

David- starting tomorrow the New York Times will be 1 1/2" narrower. Is that a bad sign? Does that mean for lefties like us our best days are behind us? I don't know about this narrow business. I'll see how it looks in the morning and report.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Barry: I did the math. If the quantity of "all the news that's fit to print" remains the same, then they will have to use smaller type. And I will have to get stronger bifocals. Or switch parties.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

It's amazing how many of these 19th century players just fade away. So many interesting stories are just lost forever. I don't have any cards of Connor, but thanks for bringing him up. Nice card Frank.

David,
I think you're toeing the line when you work "nut job" and "pussies" into the same sentence. What forum am I on? JK

Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Gil, I'll have to check into 19th century baseball reading material. Just think, six months ago, I didn't even really know about '33 Goudeys and now I'm hooked on the early 20th century players. I hadn't even heard of OJ"s or Zeenut!

I think an interesting world awaits.

Thanks, RC

Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thought I posted this but here is a nice one of him....

Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

Just back from vacationing in Colorado. Nice to see that the forum is alive and well!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy W.

Fantastic card. Not to mention the job SGC did holdering that beauty. Wow.